Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

Neighbors: Elizabeth's friends' home was searched

We’re learning more about the 15 year old suspect, who is reportedly a girl, accused of killing 9 year old Elizabeth Olten. KMIZ is reporting that the home searched shortly after the body was found is the same home where the teen suspect lives. Yesterday we learned from neighbors that police searched the home of Elizabeth’s friend she was last seen playing with. So what’s the connection? Police won’t say, but some reports, including one from Good Morning America and ABC news, suggest that the teen suspect is actually the big sister of Elizabeth’s friend.

Elizabeth Olten.
Elizabeth Olten.

Cops will not reveal how Elizabeth was killed, but are seeking first degree murder charges against the teen. A hearing was held this morning where a juvenile court judge was scheduled to hear arguments as to why the teen suspect should be allowed to go home until the next hearing in the case in November.

Those arguments never took place. The attorney representing the teen waived the hearing on her behalf. As a result, the 15 year old will remain at the juvenile detention center until the November 18 certification hearing. As far as the certification hearing is concerned, the judge will have 10 criteria to consider when deciding whether the teen should be tried as an adult or juvenile:

• Seriousness of offense and consideration of public safety if suspect should be transferred to general jurisdiction
• Whether the offense involved vicious force and violence
• Whether the offense was against a person or property, with greater weight given to offenses against a person, especially if personal injury resulted
• Was the offense part of a repetitive pattern of offenses, where the child may be beyond rehabilitation under the juvenile code
• The record and history of the child in the juvenile system and other courts will be considered
• The sophistication and maturity of the child as determined by considering home, other environmental and emotional conditions, and pattern of living
• Age of the child
• Consider the programs available to the juvenile system
• Whether or not the child will benefit from treatment or rehabilitation programs available to the court
• Racial disparity and certification

Post by:
Filed under: Story Updates
  1. Victor L. Carrington

I understand that she may have some deeper issues than normal, but that only goes to exhibit just how dangerous she is. I think they need to try her as an adult and give her the death penalty!

October 28, 2009 at 8:14 pm
  2. chelsea rigas

How could a 15 year old hide a body by herself?How could she come up with such a plan all by herself?

October 28, 2009 at 8:17 pm
  3. Mandy

why do we know more than what the media can tell us? Is it because of the age that the murderer is? People should read the 15year olds Twitter post to see what kind of person she is, I found them awful, someone should of caught that as they were posted! I live very close to where Elizabeth did, and the details have been laundering around the neighborhodd and they make me sick to what she did to this sweet little girl.

October 28, 2009 at 8:19 pm
  4. Leb Joyner

to file capital murder charges immediately mean to me to be very bad crime. killer should do hard time w/hardend prisoners.reduce the age to thirteen years w/no parole. thanks Leb

October 28, 2009 at 8:38 pm
  5. john avritt

why if the 15 year old is tried as an adult the max she can get is life. How many times are people the should die for their crimes going to sit in prison on the tax payer's dime.

October 28, 2009 at 8:49 pm
  6. Dian Eady

The Heene's don't need impressionable boys. Apparently mama can't stand up to daddy and run the idiot off.

October 28, 2009 at 8:51 pm
  7. chasity

hi nancy,my whole thing about that 9 year old girl liz my heart go's out to the family with lots prayers but if it had been a boy that did this alful crime he be charged as a ault no questions ask there should be no differnt do to gender

October 28, 2009 at 9:02 pm
  8. Pamela

I think this girl needs to be taught a hard lesson. She premediated the murder, and should face 5 years in a hard core jail and then be immediately put to death. I cannot believe it was the sister of the girl's friend. How can these parents not know anything about the plan and what was going on? were there any signs? has she done this before to animals or dolls etc? we really need to fix america. I have two children and am so afraid to let them go to school or even outside in my yard to play. its a scary world, and it really isn't fair to the rest of us.

October 28, 2009 at 9:21 pm
  9. christine

Everyday i read how children are being killed, I feel we should go back to the old days and if you kill you hang if you stell you loose you'r hand, an eye for an eye then we would have to suport thiese sick-o's in prison and waist our money on murders and child molesters , i say hang them no matter their ages if they do the sick crime take them out so they never have the chance to do it agian and so we don't have to suport sick-o's like them prison is much to good for them.

October 28, 2009 at 10:23 pm
  10. Penny

Nancy

I am watching your show now and when you showed the segment from court with the suspects attorney I am almost positive I heard him say "he will never get a fair trial"....are we sure it is a 15 yo female instead of a male?

October 28, 2009 at 10:26 pm
  11. Janna Lewis

I have been trying to keep up with this story. So many questions. Where was family of this teenager when this happened? I find it hard to believe that someone else is not involved. I think that it would be hard for a 15 year old to move the body of a 9 year old to a concealed location. I have a 5 year old and it is hard enough to take her up the stairs when she has fallen asleep. I hope the family gets all the answers they need, may not want them, but some need a type of closure.

October 28, 2009 at 10:29 pm
  12. Calvin Spencer

I think there is a deeper reason to the murder, as it was premeditated. I don't care how crazy you are, you just don't kill someone out of the blue. My initial guess is she's trying to spite her younger sister somehow by taking away what she likes the most-her best friend. When police uncover this reason(if they haven't already) and it becomes public, a lot of blanks will be filled. The psychologist on the show had a great point by suggesting to investigate her background and how she's treated at school to get a good idea of her mental state.

October 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm
  13. Cheri Brown

i would like to know about the 9 year old girl killed by the 15 year old is, where was the younger sister when elizebeth was loured in the home, was she watching the older sister kill her or could she have participated to help her 15 year old sister?

October 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm
  14. John

On this case i think it is unlawful to let this 15 year old girl walk from the crime of killing a 9 year old child. I have already sent Nancy an email about the situation, but i think the 15 year old girl should get at least 5 years in a juvenille dilequent or some kind of institution with no trial. I mean she killed a little 9 year old girl, who did nothing wrong, and their letting her walk? What kind of justice is that? Their needs to be some kind of punishment for this kind of behavior. It's ridiculous that a 15 year old would do something like that to a precious little girl who had a bright future im sure. the 15 year old girl needs some sort of punishment for the actions she has done. Im sorry for Olten's family and i will be praying for you all. Jesus will take care of this if you just put it in his hands.
    Thanks, John

October 28, 2009 at 11:08 pm
  15. sharon

Well I can understand we can't be told how Elizabeth was killed, but is the 15 yr. old telling "why" she did this? I simply can not imagine how a 15 year old girl is going to sit in prison with mostly men around. i just never imagined a "prison for kids". This is a very tragic story. I had hoped Elizabeth would have been found alive and well. My condolences to Elizabeth's family. I simply can not imagine your pain, but will pray that God will deliver peace to you in knowing that Elizabeth is in heaven. I heard it said that all children belong to God, that they are just "on loan" to us. Bless you this day, and always.

October 29, 2009 at 12:11 am
  16. Jessica

I am someone who lives in the same area of Elizabeth. Everyone that i am talking to has a simliar story. When u hear so many it all comes together. The girl who killed Elizabeth obvisiously planned this. The word is that she had planned it and wrote it down in her diary. This girl who did this obvisiously is not mental all the way in her right mind. The parents knew of some activities that the 15 yr old was doing. This girl should be charged as an adult she knew what she was doing and it was planned. This is a very sad thing that happened to Elizabeth. Elizabeth deserves justice. I also heard that the 15 yr old posted things on twitter.

October 29, 2009 at 1:39 am
  17. Kimberly Kibble

In todays society young teens are taking actions as an adult would on their own, so yes she really should be trialed as an adult. Murder is a big deal and if you can do the crime then you should do the time no matter what your age is.

October 29, 2009 at 1:49 am
  18. T

Does the 15 year old have a lot of problems at home?

October 29, 2009 at 4:12 am
  19. Sharon Oliver

I think that this is just awful. What would possess a 15 year old child to murder another child? I pray for both families.

October 29, 2009 at 7:49 am
  20. Robin Sanders

Did Elizabeth's mom get a call or text from her saying she was on her way home at 6:15? If it was a text, it could have been sent by the 15 year old. I'm thinking, the little girl never was on her way home at that time. What time did she go to her friend's home? The murder may have happened in the home or, they somehow lured her into the woods that she was supposedly afraid of. What could a 15 year old possibly have against an 9 year old?

October 29, 2009 at 8:54 am
  21. laura kerrigan

Despite the heniousness of the crime, the fifteen year old killer is not an adult and should not be treated like one. It's common knowledge that the brain chemistry of a teenager is not the same as an adult. The pre-frontal cortex, the part of the brain that controls things such as good judgement is not fully developed at age 15. There's still the possibility of re-habilitation when a crime is committed by such a young person. Trying this girl as an adult will result in another "death".

October 29, 2009 at 9:18 am
  22. Becky

this 15 yr old is clearly a threat to society and others around here we have already found that out first hand. The person that killed Elizabeth is a monster and there is no two ways about it. The sooner we find these things out the sooner we can lock them up and throw away the key.

This is a person who obviously doesn't and didn't know the value of a human life and has no respect for the common unspoken laws of our world Like: respect other people's space, if you don't care for a person simply stay away from them (you don't have the right to kill them), respect other people and the differences in those people. If you can't function by those simple rules then keep them off the public streets and away from people in our society that are willing to folow those rules.
    This persons actions go beyond a simple error in judgement or a bad choice. This was simply monsterous. Not everyone can take a life especially an innocent life of a child. This killer obviously thinks as a killer and needs to be locked away for as long as the law will allow as an adult. She obviously made an adult decision so let her have an adult punishment.

may Elizabeths family have peace and know that their daughter is with the lord and can never be hurt again by the likes of any person who is capable of such evil.

October 29, 2009 at 9:58 am
  23. Becca

Curious, IF the older sister of her friend is the killer, were they neighbors for a long time? Did Elizabeth's father (doing time) know this girl? Was the girl seeking out a family member (the youngest family member) as revenge for abuse that Elizabeth's father caused? Maybe this is way off the mark. BUT, what could cause a 15 year old to be so full of hate?

October 29, 2009 at 10:36 am
  24. Noreen

My condolences and love to the family of Elizabeth. This is a horrific crime and NEEDS to remain in the headlines. Children killing children is not acceptable and we need to learn from this to correct the path of our society and youth. There are many locally who are trying to silence people from talking about this on the web sphere; the local reporting has been atrocious. None of the pressers have been covered live, nor was Elizabeth's visitation or funeral. It is taking local media upwards of 24 hours to post anything developments on this case. Why the concentrated effort to keep this quiet? The High School where the suspect attended releases a statement that "it did not happen on school property". What is wrong with them? Where is the counselling and condolences? There is something far more serious going on here and god bless Nancy for being an advocate for Elizabeth. Without national coverage the local media would have let this fizzle out. As for the suspect not receiving a fair trial due to coverage. Statements like this negate the intelligence of everyone and the ability of the law abiding who will proceed fairly as a jury. If the crime were not committed the coverage would not be an issue. Where was the fair trial for Elizabeth when she was being murdered?

October 29, 2009 at 10:39 am
  25. Noreen

Is the local media in Jefferson City doing a horrible job of covering Elizabeth's case because she is the Daughter of Dale Olten who is a POI in the disappearance of Jasmine Haslag?

October 29, 2009 at 10:59 am
  26. Noreen

Why are some locals outraged about the national coverage of this Case. What are they trying to hide?

October 29, 2009 at 11:02 am
  27. Jane Truth

From what we actually know, it looks as if the judge would be able to transfer the case to adult court. Of course, there are a lot of things on that list that are not public knowledge, such as juvenile history, etc. However, the severity of the crime and her age should work in favour of having the case transferred to the adult system.

October 29, 2009 at 11:04 am
  28. klaasend

A "child" murders a child. Leaking out of Jefferson City is that it was premeditated. Why are we protecting the identity of a 15yr old who murders a 9yr old in cold blood?

October 29, 2009 at 11:10 am
  29. Fanny

Please stay on this story. There has been an almost blockade of information and the excuse keeps being because the perp is a 15 yr old juvenile. There has to be so much more to the story, and why the main characters are acting the way they are, and why the media is giving it so little coverage.

October 29, 2009 at 11:23 am
  30. Tom Smith

The home that was searched was the same house that was shown on the Nancy Grace show, I think the footage showed the front door and then the front of the yellow house. This is the Grandparent's home, 5 house south of Elizabeth's house, who have custody of their grandchildren. The grandparents have custody of 4 kids, 2 boys (twins), the 15 year old and a littler sister. Elizabeth was playing with the suspect's half sister, had left, and then lured back to the house via a cell call. No details after that, but the 15 year old suspect is the one that led LE to the body.

October 29, 2009 at 11:56 am
  31. Tonja

Ok, I dont get it. It seems like most of the girls missing or killed all happen in Florida. It would make me very fearful of living there with small children or children at all right now.

October 29, 2009 at 12:51 pm
  32. Sheryl Stone

I honestly believe that a fifteen year old teenage knows right from wrong and living from dead and anyone thats as cruel as this was for this little 9 year old girl needs to be tried as an adult.

October 29, 2009 at 2:51 pm
  33. Laura Wallace

I agree with Sheryl... this is a horrible crime. She knew right from wrong. She should be tried as an adult.. I bet if it were a male he would be tried as an adult!

October 29, 2009 at 3:15 pm
  34. anonymous

My what a world we live in. I will find it hard to believe "if" there was no evidence of this 15 year old acting bizarre before this hideous crime. We have to start policing the siblings of our childrens friends. I will after this thats forsure. If there was any past history with this 15 year old and her parents kept it secret they need to be held accountable for allowing her to be around others un-supervised! May the Angels watch over Elizabeth. Sandra Cantu, Missing Haleigh, precious Caylee Anthony. May justice be served! for all our child victims.

October 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm
  35. mho

There is still so many unanswered question in this case. The public can't be told anything because the perp is a juvenile.
    Too many of our kids are being killed. There is a war going on in the U.S. It's people are killing each other.

October 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm
  36. Derva

I don't care if she's a child. I don't care if she's an adult. All I care about is she is a killer and killers don't belong in society. Unless, you just want more killings.

October 29, 2009 at 5:29 pm
  37. dsing

I am so very very sad for Elizabeth's family and that of Somer's. I have a 10 y/o son and 7 y/o dtr. The family spokes person talked to NG, she could have been describing my dtr.. One of my dtr's friend's mom told me that I was being too overprotective when I went off on her for allowing 6, 7 & 8 y/os to walk to a corner market by themselves.

Our children are being killed! Everyone must work to put those who committ these crimes to death. I have not always been a believer in the death penalty. But, anyone who kills a child should be put to death as quickly as possible. I cry for the Caylees, Pollys of this world.

Please people, don't ever let your children go out alone. Even when we try our best to protect our children sometimes the unthinkable happens. I hope NG will be here covering these crimes until the laws change and even juveniles are not protected from death. I don't want to ever see a baby killer walker the streets freely again.

October 29, 2009 at 6:27 pm
  38. Tom Smith

I would agree with someone else's post, is there a connection between the suspect's high school journalism teacher, he killed himself Monday morning, and Sheriff Greg White was the last person to speak with him? HELLO, something is going on here !!!

October 29, 2009 at 8:07 pm
  39. susie

The 15 year old lived with her grandparents. From what I understand, the little sister and Elizabeth was outside playing and the teen told her sister to go inside, the teen then told elizabeth to follow her, as they were playing a game. she got her into the woods, where the grave was already dug, she stabbed her, cut her throat and strangled her. the grandparents have cooperated in the investigation, and are currently in a safe haven. from what i understand, the teen had a friend help. she never headed home, she was already dead by 7 o'clock.

October 29, 2009 at 9:56 pm
  40. Jessica

Supposivly The 15 yr old said she did it because she wanted to know what it was like to kill someone with her own hands. I also heard she killed animals as a kid and buried them. So the night Elizabeth went missing the 15 yr old came in with a butcher knife and the parents thought nothing of it. And they just cleaned it off. I heard they might get the parents involved for not saying anything.

October 30, 2009 at 12:47 am
  41. Jessica

This is for Laura Kerrigan, I'm sorry but if this child had issues as a child they are still gonna be there as an adult. If she murder someone for no reason she should be tried as an adult. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time. Its going to be impossible to help someone that messed up. She killed this girl to know what it is like, What if she liked it? She'll get out and do it again!

October 30, 2009 at 12:52 am
  42. windrider

A 15 year old child is still a child. Kids that age are not neurologically mature, emotionally mature, or cognitively mature enough to reason as we expect an adult to reason. Old enough to know right from wrong? Yes. Mature enough to reason it all the way through? Very unlikely. IF she committed this crime (which can only be determined by trial), then some combination of incarceration and therapy are called for. But to execute a child by assuming she had functioned as maturely as an adult in committing the crime is outright uncivilized and based upon ignorance and bigotry of a different kind. We claim that our children are precious and yet we jump at the opportunity to punish the wayward ones as if they were adult criminals. They aren't, Anyone who has had a child of that age knows they don't think, feel or act like adults.

October 30, 2009 at 2:36 am
  43. Annie

I'm currious if the teacher and the 15 yr.old both had something to do with this? My guess is the child was sexually assaulted. My heart goes out to the family and pray for justice.

October 30, 2009 at 3:33 am
  44. sadie

There should be a law for castrating every male and female, sex offenders. No one wants to be an individual who is incapable of reproduction as a result of removal, destruction, or inactivation of the gonads. So let just come with a law thats states every male and female who is guilty of being sex offenders will be diprived of their testicles and overies. Maybe that will stop them or slow them down.

October 30, 2009 at 5:45 am
  45. Cindy

Some parents are not doing their job. If you bring a child into this world, you are then obligated to raise that child to have a conscience of some sort, to care for others, to have feelings of right and wrong, and help them to develop strong moral character. It's not that hard. You talk to them, teach them, stay involved or in their face at all times reminding them of the little guy who sits on their shoulder that says,'Hey that's not right!". Some parents are not caring or monitoring what their kids are influenced by. It's really sad, mental issues aside, someone wasn't paying attention. It's the same with each story you hear that involves some stupid teen. Frontal lobe crap? BS......it's called no conscience!

October 30, 2009 at 10:00 am
  46. Jeanne

I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW A 15 YEAR OLD KILLED THIS BEAUTIFUL CHILD THEN TOOK HER TO THE WOODS, BURIED HER IN THE WOODS WHERE NO ONE COULD FIND HER..NOT THE POLICE, NOT THE VOLUNTEERS, NOT EVEN THE DOGS...HOW DID SHE DO THIS ALL BY HERSELF?

October 30, 2009 at 10:42 am
  47. Noreen

A scan of the local news stations and papers in Jefferson City this morning and NOTHING about Elizabeth. Instead the headlines are the restoration of a building, a dam that is stressed and where to buy you last minute candy. The suspect attended Jefferson City High School. They have done nothing but deflect this saying it did not happen on their property all is good. Kids have today off of school and they are hurting and confused. Does the news media in that area have so little regard for human life that they really think their lack of reporting will make the community forget? Nancy please cover this story as there is much more here that needs to be known by the nation so other communities can learn from this.

October 30, 2009 at 11:03 am
  48. Christy Cook

John, I totally understand your mind-set. It seems as though child crimes enrage me the absolute most. However, if you properly research the cost inclusive with corporal punishment, I know that you will be somewhat at a loss for words. In comparison, the death penalty by far drains more tax payer dollars, than its opposite, Life in Prison. The court process alone is undoubtedly more outrageous. Myself, I am not certain how I feel about the death penalty. I researched the subject in an attempt to form a thoroughly educated opinion. I was surprised at the difference in "cost". Finally, I do feel that child crimes warrant the death penalty under certain circumstances.

October 30, 2009 at 11:36 am
  49. Becca

For a 15 year-old- CHILD to have that much anger....let's check that past. Did Elizabeth's father have contact with the 15 year old. He has certainly been a name mentioned with another missing child. Maybe this 15 year old CHILD suffered abuse at the hand of a bigger bully. A large percentage of people in prison were FIRST victims before they became perpetrators. Nancy, PLEASE follow this story. I don't believe this is an isolated case. There might be other similar situations other than this Missouri case. We need to be informed to better protect our children and gradchildren. Lack of knowledge can cause you to become a victim!

October 30, 2009 at 12:37 pm
  50. cc

What can be more horrible than children killing children?

When will the people of this world realize our children are not born killers? Our goal in life should be to leave the world a better place and until our children are safe, loved, and cared for to the best of our ability, we don't have a chance.

October 30, 2009 at 1:50 pm
  51. Noreen

What is the status of the Autopsy? What was Cause of Death? Has the toxicology report come back? How are the elementary kids coping? How are the high school kids doing with a classmate being a murderer and the death of one of their teachers all in one week?Nancy PLEASE let us know as the local Jefferson City news has dropped the ball on this one. Shows what they think of the life of a child.

October 30, 2009 at 4:15 pm
  52. Cindy

windrider? COME ON.........DON'T think, feel or act like adults at that age? I agree with that, but my 15 yr old would never even conceive the idea to dig a grave, cut someone's throat, strangle them, then cover it up. This was thought out and not just in a few minutes. I could understand if there was some nasty peer group that put this together, but sounds like it came from her head only. I don't think she be killed, but I don't want her walking among anyone I know for the rest of her life. If she's capable of that at any point in her life, what else is she capable of. Put her and the rest of the jacked up peeps on a island and drop food from a plane on a monthly basis. They aren't fit for society.

October 30, 2009 at 5:16 pm
  53. sue

Come on now, I dont believe some on here are trying to say that the 15 year olds brain wasnt mature and this and that, I remember when I was 15, I knew it wasnt right to take a life, I never even thought about it and this girl knew too, she needs to be locked oway for life, If she had killed your child would you still come to her defense, I live in a place where you are tought early on, that whatever you do to someone they do back to you, thats whats wrong with these children now days, the parents are too lean on them, and this is the result,,,,This girl should never be allowed around the public again!!!

October 30, 2009 at 11:00 pm
  54. Jessica

I agree with a lot of people on here. The death penalty may be to much, but the 15 yr old girl should diffenantly be locked up for life! I got the 15 yr olds twitter page address, I looked at it in the afternoon and when i got home that evening I went to show my boyfriend and EVERYTHING had been deleted. There were some destrubing thing on it. I heard that the girl has no remorse for what she did, like nothing ever happened.( Thats from in inside sourse.) I dont think it will be fair if she only sits in juvinile until shes 21. Something is seriously wrong with our cummunity if that happens.

October 31, 2009 at 12:32 am
  55. Noreen

This 15 year old is not a CHILD. Elizabeth was a child. The 15 yr old was a teen who had not reached maturity but certainly was not playing with dolls anymore nor did she have the innocence of a child. This girl has had a troubled home life but that is no excuse for murder. She wrote things then lead police to the body personally. Lead them directly to a place the searchers and police had been over at least twice. There should be no argument about the fact she did know what she wanted to do and ultimately did and that she in fact did this. Why is it that everyone wants to keep her name quiet. Would they want her babysitting their kids? I sure would not and from what I have seen of the court system lately I would not be surprised if she gets out soon based on sympathy for her background and a defence that is going to portray her as polyanna.

October 31, 2009 at 12:40 am
  56. K. Brennan

If this girl is found guilty let her get life – for the rest of her life. Do you really think murderers once they kill and finish their jail sentence that – that's the end of their life of crime. Most do another crime or the same crime and go back to jail. What we need are more jails. I will pay more taxes for people to stay in prison. I would'n't want to live next door to someone who gets out of jail early or finished their 10-15 yrs. – would you. Someone commits a murder that's it – the end of their life should be finished.

October 31, 2009 at 6:58 am
  57. rob

i agree with sue laws need to be changed so that these people stop killing our children and even their own children,i believe in an eye for an eye,i dont care what the age is.if your old enough to do this to another person your old enough to pay for it, string these people up and let the community do what they will with them,let them be beaten and raped and evenually killed,maybe these babie killers will stop hurting our children.maybe they will be more affraid of the punishment then they are of going to jail because that dosent seem to stop them.

October 31, 2009 at 11:52 am
  58. KIM

I have been reading these posts and I am frustrated. To the people who say that she is not capable of making conscience decisions and that she is not mature enough, she was mature enough to plan a killing. I have a 17 yr old daughter and she would never have even considered killing someone. This girl knew what she was doing and I don't want someone like that living next door to me at anytime in the future, do you? Maybe if we were firmer with these kids then other kids would realize this isn't a game. Why should they care when people are constantly saying, 'their a minor so it's not a big deal'. How disgusting, child are dying at the hands of children and that's all we have to say about it. I am accused all the time of being to overprotective, I say, deal with it. I have lived my life believing that anything can happen to anyone at anytime. I haven't stuck my head in the sand and tried to pretend it would never happen to me or my kids. And I have raised my kids the same way. To all that say she is a child and should be treated like one, how about Elizabeth? Did she treat Elizabeth like a child? No, she treated her as an object and she got to play god with this child. She needs to not be treated with kids gloves. Elizabeth deserves justice. My thoughts and prayers go out to Elizabeth's family and friends.

October 31, 2009 at 1:28 pm
  59. Michael

do we know:

1. the cause of death?
    2. the reason ( motive ) for the killing?
    3. any other accomplices or witnesses?

October 31, 2009 at 9:33 pm
  60. brandy phillips

I feel very sad for elizabeth and her family. I think that the 15 year old given her age could have killed elizabeth do to mental issues she may have. She may have thought that elizabeth or someone was out to get her. I still don't think she should be let of the hook because of a mental issue, it was premeditated.

October 31, 2009 at 9:50 pm
  61. AMANDA THOMAS

DEAR NANCY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FOR THE LITTLE ONE:S WHO NO LONGER HAVE A VOICE, GOD IN HIS OWN TIME WILL TAKE CARE OF THE ONE:S WHO KILL OUR LITTLE ONE"S ;BUT UNTILL THEN THEY SHOULD SIT IN JAIL BEHIND BARS, SO THEY CAN NO LONGER HURT ANY MORE CHILDREN, SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WAS DOING< SO SHE SHOULD DO THE TIME!

November 1, 2009 at 12:42 am
  62. groberds

the 15 year old girl is autistic and wanted to know how it felt to kill someone

November 1, 2009 at 9:16 pm
  63. Stinky

Kids now a days have no soul. This is what happens when people throw God out of the country.

November 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm
  64. fgrammie

Ms Grace
    Please keep this story in the news! It is an important case. Parents need to acknowledge signs of this kind of violence early and maybe we could stop some of the violence in the older teens. it is becoming an epidemic!

thanks
    flg

November 2, 2009 at 10:20 am
  65. Cindy

Bottom line.......murder is murder and it wasn't self defense. Just want to hug Elizabeth's mom. I cannot fathom the anger that I would feel if I were in her shoes. So senseless!

November 2, 2009 at 11:13 am
  66. Yolly Hartnett

I have three grown up children, when they were small I never let them out of my sight, their friends will come to my house to play with them. Wehad a lot of activities together, they had a lot of fun. Today I am a grandmother of three beautiful little girls. I did a good job raising my daughter, she keeps a very close eye on her children, and the grandchild that lives near me, is under my care and I watch her very close. I don't believe in allowing kids to go and play over friends unless I know the parents, and the family, and even then I am extremely careful, The 15 year old should be tried as an adult, and pay for this crime. She took a life, if parents will just take the time to teach their children the ten commandments "THOU SHALL NOT KILL"
    this wolrd would be a safer place. "Train up a child in the way that he
    shall go and he will never depart from it. God's word stands to this day. My condolences to Elizabeth family. My prayers are with them at this time of sorrow.

November 2, 2009 at 12:39 pm
  67. Kat

She should be charged as an adult. Who cares what her mental health is? Im so tired of people trying to get off on that. Or her home life? I had a bad child hood so does that give me the right to kill someone?? NO not at all.This girl is 15 yrs old, she knows right from wrong. She should never see the light of another day. Its really sad that we cant allow our kids to walk 5 houses down to a friends house. Im told alot that im way to overprotective and my kids get upset with me when i dont allow them to do what other parents allow their kids to do, but I don't care. Ive got to do what is neccassary to protect them. My heart goes out to Elizabeths family. I hope this case doesn't ever make it all the way to a drawn out trail. THis evil little girl should just plea to murder and let them lock her up and throw away the key. The family doesnt deserve to have to go through a trial. They are in enough pain now.

November 2, 2009 at 3:07 pm
  68. Mel

ANOTHER case from Florida?? Seriously, the sun must be making everyone there crazy!

November 2, 2009 at 4:21 pm
  69. Bobby Jo

I think that she should have to pay the price for the crime she has done. Keep her in a juvinile hall until she's 18 and then let her run with the big dogs. I know she needs to be charged as an adult but she's still a child so she needs to be in a place that isn't surrounded by grown adults until she's 18.

November 2, 2009 at 5:53 pm
  70. Larry Davis

I would like to know where was Elizabeth's playmate when this senseless murder took place.

November 3, 2009 at 5:28 pm
  71. kels

People who are rallying for this killers case to be tried as a jeuvi are failing to look at all sides of the spectrum. Same with those who want her to be tried as an adult.

Juvenile centers are polluted with teens who robbed, grand theft auto-ed, beat someone up, talked back to a cop, etc.
    Is it fair to throw someone as foul as this murderer in there with them?
    Yes, they did a crime which they are repaying their damages for.....somewhere where they will get their fair share of creepy and freakazoid teens coming in and out-However, this murderer is a twisted, good for nothing, cold blooded killer.

I'm sorry, but if I ever had a kid who stole from the nearby candy store or punched Uncle Fred in the face knocking his tooth out I would be angry at the court system for putting him/her in danger by putting away a premeditated murderer who wanted to see what it felt like and how well she could hide a murder.

I will be appalled and PISSED if this teen (WHO-AT 15-DEFINITELY KNOWS RIGHT FROM WRONG) were not tried as an adult.. PISSED. I'm 17, very close to this chicks age, with a diagnosis of severe manic depression, who-EVEN WITHOUT MY MEDICATION would never cut or put ANY harm on a living object.

So "mental problems" are what caused this? My ass.

November 3, 2009 at 7:39 pm
  72. kels

oh, also....is there really any "excuse" (mentally or physically) for murdering a person? so if a mentally challenged person did this, we'd send them to a shrink to learn how to control his temper?
    what if it were a mentally challenged 15 year old who did this? does that make a difference?

its not like this girl hugged her puppy too hard because she loved it so much and accidentally killed it.....SHE MURDERED A 9 YEAR OLD GIRL BC SHE WANTED TO.

SHE WANTED TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2009 at 7:51 pm
  73. laura

As we read about teenagers killing children we also read about teenagers standing around and taking pictures of a young girl being raped for two hours while no one did anything.
    As a nation we have not learned anything in years since the Kitty "G" killing in 1974 while thirty eight witnesses either watched or had direct access to information that she was being killed.
    With little or no consequences and some people thinking it is okay for others to not have to take responsibility for their actions, these hideous acts will continue. All persons should be held accountable for their actions whether they are nine, fifteen, or twenty.
    We as a nation must demand our judges hold everyone accountable for their actions when they come into the court system and if we don't like the laws on the books, do something to change them.

November 4, 2009 at 12:01 pm
  74. SweetCityWoman

GOD Bless Nancy Grace and please keep us posted. This little angel should not ever be forgotten. We need discipiline in this world. Teens more and more are out of control. I believe it starts at home and children need to be discipilined. They need to learn to respect and be aware that there is authority that they need to listen to. Spanking is not out for me. There is spanking and there is beating. Parents should know the difference and use it when they need to from when children are able to know right from wrong. We keep letting our kids run the show and look where it is getting us.

November 4, 2009 at 2:00 pm
  75. ASHLEY

how could this young girl do this murder all by herself i think that someone else is in on this and not saying anything there is no way she could have covered it up by herself a 15 year old is not capable of covering a murder up on her own this young lady had help and know it.

November 5, 2009 at 11:27 am
  76. barb

I keep reading about where are the parents. A.B.'s (initials of the killer) are both in jail. she was adopted by her grandparents. AB lived in a beautiful home with her grandparents. As a matter of fact where I work I can look out my window and see A.B.'s house.

A.B. said her hobbies were killing people and cutting. My kids went to school with her. They said you could see her cut marks. Kids at Jefferson City High School did not treat her badly. She stuck with a group that the kids now a days call Gothic. Alyssa wanted to know what if felt like to kill someone. She made many comments at school regarding that. She knew right from wrong so dont listen to what other people in other states are saying.

She chose Elizabeth because she was easy prey and she knew not to kill one of her siblings. so that right there tells me she knew right from wrong. She knew if she had killed one of her family members it would be wrong and cause them alot of pain.

November 5, 2009 at 3:48 pm
  77. Karen

For the person who said killer was autistic. you could not be further from the truth. She was honored by the school system for having a higher than 3.5 grade point average. So get your facts straight.

November 15, 2009 at 1:44 am
  78. Babe

Regarding the autism issue... there are plenty of people who are on the autism scale who have a high IQ, they may just not have other skills to live an independent life. I have a relative with Aspergers who is very intelligent especially in the sciences but he has a hard time in social situations. Being autistic doesn't mean it would be impossible to have a 3.5 GPA.

November 18, 2009 at 8:34 pm
  79. Sherri

A person has to wonder what kind of life the 15 year old had. It is very sad that this happened. I have to wonder what the 15 year old experienced in her life to be able to commit this horrible crime.

May 10, 2010 at 1:18 am