Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

Has Somer's killer been found?

About 200 miles away from where Somer Thompson was last seen alive a sex offender has been arrested. 36-year-old Kenneth Kellam was charged with two counts each of attempting to entice a child for indecent purposes, attempted child molestation, attempted false imprisonment, and attempted aggravated sodomy on two boys in the 4th grade.

Somer Thompson
Somer Thompson

Could Kellam be responsible for Somer’s disappearance and death too? Greg Edwards, the Dougherty County District Attorney believes Kellam could be. While there is not a direct evidentiary link between Kellam and Somer Thompson, Edwards says “It’s geographically feasible that he could have a connection to the case, and his M.O. is similar.”

Kellam allegedly approached the two school aged boys on two occasions. The first time the boys were able to get away. By the second time they’re mother had been informed and she was waiting and ready when her boys were approached the second time.

This could be just another tip to add to the growing 2000 plus tips that have already come into the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, but it’s also one that Samuel Thompson, Somer’s father, is using for solace. “I just hope and pray that this is the guy so he can't do this again.” Authorities have not contacted Thompson about Kellam and they have not returned repeated phone calls.

Post by:
Filed under: Story Updates
  1. JOHN PAUL THOMAS

Without question there are three great women that have caught my eye on Cable news or anywhere else. Nancy Grace is one, Greata Van Susteren is two and Sarah Palin is three.

All three in my eyes are extremely fabulous women, so fabulous that I cheer them on in a heartfelt way. Beyond impressive.

The way Nancy Grace demonstrates her love for kids takes my breath away. What a lucky guy her husband is. And how lucky her children are to have a Mother that loves them is such an extrodinary way. Kudo's ladies!!!!!!!!

October 30, 2009 at 8:11 pm
  2. Jan Taylor

I am offended by your plastering the name and photo of Kenneth Kellam when you have NO FACTS ABOUT HIS GUILT!!!!! This is wrong!!!
    Every man and woman in this country has the right of the presumption of innocence until they have been proven guilty by a court of law. This program use to be enjoyable, however, your constant attacks on those that have not been convicted "yet" is offensive beyond belief.

October 30, 2009 at 8:53 pm
  3. norma evans

Dear Nancy,
    Somers murder has been a tragic repeat of whats happening now days, when they let these sex offenders loose. They can never recover from being a pedifile. This espescially bothers me, as I also have grandkids this same age in 1st grade.
    I think its a shame we have to teach our kids about these kind of things at such an early age. I was 8 yrs when I was molested by a stranger trying to take me out of a store & being touched in private spots was never forgotten. I am 56 yrs old, and I will never forget. I was afraid of men for along time.
    I pray for these poor parents, as I can't imagine the pain they must feel knowing Somer was thrown in the garbage like trash.
    You, Nancy keep us informed, and such a supporter as a victim yourself. Thanks for all you do!

Regards, Norma/ McMinnville, Oregon

October 30, 2009 at 9:31 pm
  4. Blanche

To me ANY proven/known sex offender deserves nothing.They kill our children....or worse.To hell with them.They made their choices.Let them rot .
    For the bleeding heart that states it is unfair to mention Kenneth Kellam....read the above.
    I hope one of them does not kill anyone in your family.Check your local police station and see how many live around YOU!You will be amazed at the numbers.

October 30, 2009 at 11:28 pm
  5. pm200

These are some comments I left on a Jacksonville news website, attempting to debunk several bizarre theories (The mother did it? Where are the scratches on her face?) and offering the only one that makes sense to me.

I live here in Orange Park, and I am very familiar with the area where she disappeared. My 14 yo daughter went to that school, and walked home several times with a friend (in 6th grade). My 6 yo daughter would be a first grade there NOW if we did not get her into the "magnet" school Orange Park Elementary.

Here is a thought.

A first grader disappears in broad daylight on the way home from school, and nobody notices. How could this realistically happen?

1- Getting hit by a car makes no sense. She would have been heard and seen. The road she was on does not curve. A crossing guard, as well as numerous school children and parents, would have seen it.

2- She got home first and the boyfriend did it. Except that the crossing guard who knew Somer (remember, Somer was the "hug anyone" type) and was closest to her home (corner of DeBarry and Gano) did not see her that day. And apparently there are no witnesses who say they saw this friendly litle girl anywhere past the vacant house on Gano. Also, if Patton or Currier were culpable, they would have exhibited the scars and scratches described by Beseler and the media would have jumped on that lead.

3 – She was yanked off the street by a stranger. Again, I would think that someone would have seen SOMETHING of a struggle if this happened.

4 – She ran around the vacant house and was attacked by an opportunist. This makes little sense. The killer in this scenario would have had to know that there was a likelihood that a child would run around the vacant house.

5 – She entered the home of a "friend" on the way home. This seems plausible to me. Bay Street froms a "U" behind the vacant house. There are houses there. A sex offender also lives on Bay Circle, but CCSO seems to have ruled out any nearby offenders or predators?

There are also occupied houses on both sides of the vacant house, And more houses as well as single story condos between Grove Park Dr. and DeBarry. There could be people there that she knew, recognized, and/or trusted.

The problem here is that the searches of those homes that evening most likely would have produced some evidence. That does not appear to be the case.

6 – Somebody she knew, recognized, and/or trusted drove up to her as she was running home. She got in the car, and he drove off. By the time the search started, there would have been no evidence, and her scent would have stopped where she got in the car. Being somebody she knew and trusted, there would have been no struggle to tip anyone off.

October 30, 2009 at 11:29 pm
  6. pm200

Add to this . . . notice there is the name of a sex offender on the bottom of the police report. The very last name, I believe. Absconded from Texas, and known to have connections to Clay County (Orange Park). If his information (address is in a newer area of Clay County close to Orange Park) is on the report, then CCSO must have spoken with him? If Texas didn't know he was here, how did the CCSO?

October 30, 2009 at 11:33 pm
  7. joni

Hi Nancy. Been following you for YEARS!!

I heard Somer's Dad say some "SOOT" was found on her body. Somer was last seen near that burned out house that was being repaired by Registered Sex Offender Kenneth Kellam.

Some evidence was found in a park, across the street from that house. It was in a public Men's Room.

Where there's smoke/fire, there's SOOT!

Joni, in Oregon

October 30, 2009 at 11:45 pm
  8. joni

I have read that Sex Offenders, who we KNOW CANNOT be CURED, offend for about 18 years – before being caught.

October 30, 2009 at 11:49 pm
  9. windrider

Good grief, any sex offender within 200 miles would be a "geographically plausible" suspect. That doesn't mean diddly squat, not to mention the fact that Kellam is accused of molesting two boys both of whom are 3 years older than Somer. This seems like grasping at straws.

October 31, 2009 at 12:05 am
  10. shirley

to somers mom and family: sooo sorry for your loss shes an angel. to er killer they are gonna get you and i hope diane finds you to law enforcement good job yall are great

October 31, 2009 at 12:39 am
  11. Ca Mom

How awful to be compared to Sarah Palin. As to Mr. Kellam's guilt or innocence, he will have a trial for the charges he faces. Right now, it is sheer speculation as to any involvment in Somer's disgusting murder. If he has no involvment, then so be it. He is hardly being tarred and feathered, his name is only mentioned as a possibility.

If he is not in fact the perpetrator of Somer's death, someone else is. Hopefully, enough evidence exists and a viable suspect will be apprehended. My heart and prayers to her familiy, and to the family of the 2 male victims of sexual molestation. So sad that this society has so many twisted sick people in it.

October 31, 2009 at 12:43 am
  12. Lew

Who was the last person(s) to see her alive? the siblings. Have they been cleared or more closely interrogated? I haven't heard either way. We know they were together. We know there was an argument. We know Somer went missing in that timeframe, was stuffed in that local trash somewhere very near there to end up in the GA landfill. Yet we seem to be quick to jump to the pedophile conclusion right off the bat, with good reason of course. But we haven't heard about sexual assault or cause of death. It could have just as easily been that she got pushed down by a sibling and she hit her head and in their panic they hid her in a trash can.

October 31, 2009 at 3:22 am
  13. Roxanne Santana

Dear Jan Taylor,
    Please explain to us how Nancy Grace is “plastering” a CONVICTED sex offender’s name and photo, when any and all information about sex offenders is PUBLIC INFORMATION?!
    In no way has anyone from the Nancy Grace online website stated that this is the one who violated and murdered Somer. They merely stated that a sex offender is being investigated for a connection. Just as we all according to you, “have the rights of the presumption of innocence until they have been proven guilty by a court of law,” we also have choices. If the Nancy Grace show is no longer enjoyable, please do us and yourself a favor and move on.
    Nancy is doing a wonderful job making us aware of the demented pieces of trash that inhabit this earth; the same ones that destroy the innocent daily. Nancy is a wonderful advocate for the ones that should be protected by their parents- but yet the parents fail them! Nancy is disgusted by the same thing that continues to happen, yet society does nothing about it. We live with the “it can never happen to me” mentality. As soon as we let our guards down, IT HAPPENS!
    So to people like you, who want to protect sex offenders that CANNOT be rehabilitated and who CONTINUE to offend, please go smoke your peace pipe & stay the HADES AWAY FROM MY KIDS! OFFENDERS LOST THEIR RIGHTS THE FIRST TIME THEY OFFEND!
    Now take your ball & GO HOME Jan Taylor!

October 31, 2009 at 6:49 am
  14. Ed Wyatt

I wonder if this man is/has been questioned/investigated as to connected to the Haleigh Cummings murder. AND: is there a possible connection between the two cases.

AND: In the Haleigh Cummings Case, was it ever investigated as to what was Heleigh Cummings dad, Ronald Cummings, duties on the day of Haleighs dissaperance, in that, he was a crain operator bridge worker AND: was any concrete poured at the bridge location on said day of the childs dissaperance?

There's a possibility that Misty is protecting Ronald and/or Misty is protecting someone in the family, close to the family or friends due to fear for her own life. I find it hard to believe that Misty, so young, could hold up through all the questioning by professional investigators. She doesn't look or act like a cold blooded killer. I think she certainly knows what happened to this child and how she was disposed of BUT: I don't think she was/is the perpertrater.

GOD BLESS these children and all the others and protect them from all the freaks, perverts, etc. on this corrupt earth.

October 31, 2009 at 8:41 am
  15. Lil

I work for the tdcj and I am apalled at our justice system with plea bargains with offenders and taking lesser punishments. It's our tax dollars paying for these sick people and most days I ask myself what has become of the victim's rights and their families. If it is proven without a doubt then the punishment should be severe as the tragedy and the horrible violence that was done to these precious children and people of God. In the old days it was an eye for an eye. Nancy I have been a fan pf yours and i admire your strength and compassion and you are the wind beneath all these little children wing's who are God's special angels. I was attacked and sexually assaulted and went through a long healing process. When I scratched his face trying to protect myself he started beating me and stabbed me. I feel for every victim and their families who have lost loved ones through horrendous crimes. I am ok now and do volunteer work at safeplace to help others to let them know not to be afraid and to let them know they didn't do anything wrong. I pray they find Somer's killer and justice is served. Nancy your little twins are precious and thank you for all you have done and jane velez-mitchell and robin meade...thank you cnn for these beautiful ladies. God Bless you all and the balloon saga with the boys video and hoax needs to go away. I have heard enough news coverage on this and I am sick of it so be it! let;s focus more on missing children and morgan harrington....it's the missing and abducted that are most important and to show that little boy vomiting on the video please don't show that. Thanks and happy halloween to you and your family :)

October 31, 2009 at 10:50 am
  16. suzanne

That's great. I'll bet there was also a robbery of a fast food restaurant somewhere within 200 miles of where the guy lives. Let's convict him of that as well.

This sort of laziness makes me sad. Maybe the guy did it, but if there is somebody else who actually did it, you're basically letting them go free.

October 31, 2009 at 11:16 am
  17. Jacky Diamond

All these convicted rapist and child rape offenders are out roaming around the country searching for their next victim. It has been proven over and over again that "these" people who commit violent acts against children can not help them selfs and it almost always escalates into murder. It does not matter if they are monitored. They should be shot or kept in jail. Crime has gotten so bad. It is mostly statistically because the number of people now on this planet. When population grows so does everything else. The problem we are running out of jail space. what to do with these offenders? How about "Escape from New York". If anyone has ever seen the movie with Patrick Swazi, this is what the world is coming to. Send them to another country, like castro did with his criminals when he sent his criminals to South Florida. And like Peurto Rico was more than happy to get rid of their trash and send them to New York.

October 31, 2009 at 2:01 pm
  18. joni

Hi Windrider,

The kidnapper of JayCee Dugard was 150 miles from his home when out "child shopping", and spotted JayCee. He told his wife "That's the one I want – she's cute." Too many kids around that day.

Went BACK the next day. They are INCREDIBLY determined! Got her at the "crest" of the hill where he could see if cars were coming ... from EITHER direction. Very WELL planned kidnappings!! Our children don't stand a chance under such well orchestrated plans.

October 31, 2009 at 2:05 pm
  19. Stacey

Why put the man's name and face out there when he is being questioned on Somer's murder and disappearance? Doesn't that assume guilt before innocent?

October 31, 2009 at 2:44 pm
  20. joni

A "Profiler" named Pat said this on TV last week. I found it chilling!
    The Pedophiles have their plan all mapped out. VERY well planned to almost every minute detail. They do dry runs, rehearsals, etc.
    Know exactly WHAT they will do. That's how so many children just seemingly VANISH.

So they circle their area, looking, stalking. All they NEED is their "prey". Just like in the animal world, (just like little Somer), they look for one lone one, that has left the "herd". The poor LONE one. It is all starting to make sense to me now – how they do this so successfully much of the time.

IF Somer's killer is Kenneth, the registered Pedophile, he could have had his plan all worked out easily, while "working" on the house. All he needed was HIS ONE LONE PREY! He could have been watching the children going to, and coming home from school – daily.

Somer's Dad said on TV yesterday, they found SOOT on her body. Some evidence too, found across the street in the park – the public Men's Room? I think I see "building blocks" here ... which make circumstantial cases. But L.E. will take it's time and not do anything till they really "know". OR, they could possibly allow a KILLER to slip through their fingers...

October 31, 2009 at 4:09 pm
  21. Kathleen

I'm surprised none of you picked up on this.

Kat

October 31, 2009 at 9:34 pm
  22. Julie Bray

I'm doubtful a vehicle was used in her abduction,her body was found in trash from her own neighborhood. If she'd been pulled into a vehicle,her body would have been transported and dumped elsewhere. Putting her into a trash can or dumpster seems like a panicked act.

Even so,why they didn't transport it far away anyway is interesting.Did they not have a car? Did they know they'd need to remain where they were once the cops started questioning people to avoid suspicion? (Moms boyfriend,etc... maybe?)

My bet is on it being someone in the neighborhood definately,either lives there or works there. Someone with access to the outdoor trash recepticles the trucks pick up and is comfortable with the location of one that's not visible from the street.

Kudo's go to the cops for taking EVERY lead seriously and working so hard. I bet they will catch the monster someday soon.

October 31, 2009 at 9:52 pm
  23. Sandy Stanton

I have no compassion in my heart for a convicted sex offender! Jan Taylor. What compassion did this man have on his victim.. I doubt he felt nothing for his victim. except anger for being caught! These vultures are not men a real man would never touch a child, This isn'tNancy's first rodeo and I am sure she is certyain of her facts! I feel for this child and every other murdered child found DEAD! God only know what pain and hell they went through before they were killed..We as Parents always assure our Children that the boogie man doesn't exist! The hell He doesn't and is living in your neighborhood! My sympathies to the Family of this precious child..

October 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm
  24. Beverly

do I care if CNN mentions the name of a sex offende who may not be guilty?

HELL NO! If the perv has molested one kid, he will keep on going. So whether of not Kenneth Kellam killed Somer, the fact that he is a child molestor–he has no rights as far as I am concerned. Fry all the freaking pervs. They will never quit and are worthless pieces of garbage.

Yeah, I know, presumed innocent–what a joke. They never quit.

October 31, 2009 at 10:48 pm
  25. Darrell

I pray to my god above that they catch this monster and make him/her suffer ten thousand deaths. and then dump them into a landfill and cover them up with no recognition that they ever lived. MAY GOD BLESS LITTLE SOMERS SOUL AND I PRAY THAT HER FAMILY GETS RELIEF......

November 1, 2009 at 3:16 am
  26. Heidi in Oregon

Why are there SO many of these guys out there, with a sexual attraction to little teenie kids & babies? I don't get it. We all know the stats on these guys re-offending. (Re-offending being a sanitized word here..These men are MONSTERS.)
    Lets make it a real crime by legislating proper penalties for sexual assault crimes...capital punishment comes to mind..and end this ongoing catch-and-release system.

November 1, 2009 at 10:19 am
  27. jim

"Every man and woman in this country has the right of the presumption of innocence until they have been proven guilty by a court of law."

Can someone show me where this right appears in the Constitution. The only thing I can find there is a protection against being "deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law". Where does it say that anyone must be presumed innocent by the public at large?

November 1, 2009 at 11:04 am
  28. dtinnh

This is such a tragic situation. I hope the killer is found and convicted ASAP. I can see how a connection can be made to the sex offender arrested 200 miles away because as a previous user commented-Joni-this sex offender was repairing the damaged house that is a focus point in the disappearance of little Somer. However, has it been proven that he was in fact working on the house at the time of the disappearance? Also, he was arrested for trying to lure 2 little boys. Does his past show a preference to boys? Further, another commented that it does seem odd that during broad daylight no one noticed anything out of the ordinary. It would appear that the killer could be closer to the family than this sex offender, and if the authorities focus on this one person, the real killer could be given extra time to cover the tracks. Please lets get the real killer who could very well be this sex offender. This sex offender has a past, and if given the circumstances that he was in the area at the time, it should not be overlooked. Please find and convict this killer, who ever it may turn out to be.

November 1, 2009 at 11:30 am
  29. Chris

Jan:
    You're offended?? Well, we all know that sex offenders can't be cured, right? So why the hell they're on the street is beyond me! They should all be shot! He's not some poor innocent man. We all have a right to know people like that are in our neighborhood hunting innocent victims. Whether or not he's guilty in this case doesn't matter, once you make to choice to be a sick pervert, and he has, you have no rights and your name, face and address to be plastered everywhere. It's people like you think scum like that has rights. For all you bleeding hearts that think like Jan, let's release the rapists, baby killers and the rest of the scum bags in your town.

November 1, 2009 at 11:44 am
  30. MaryEl

Initially I wondered if this little girl was so upset about the argument that she ran ahead and "hid" in a trash can in that neighborhood, perhaps sat still so long she fell asleep and/or got stuck in the container she was hiding, and either suffocated or was injured when the garbage was placed in the trucks. However, I realize this is "grasping at straws" and there must be some sort of evidence that points the investigators to foul play. I guess I can't imagine someone being so cruel and doing this to this adorable child and her family that I want to believe something less criminal caused her death. I am especially praying for her older sister who was with her. She must feel remarkable guilt, which is such a sorrowful thing.

November 1, 2009 at 12:07 pm
  31. Lisa Wolfe

Is there evidence of sexual assault on Somer Thompson and if not have they checked into the argument that she had w/the other children; Why would the other kids not go after her when she took off running and let her walk the rest of the way home by herself?

November 1, 2009 at 2:32 pm
  32. Maggie Picot

I love Nancy's show because her views are what the world need to hear. She calls it like it is.We need more television shows that are real ,just like Nancy's. If it was not for her show, we will not be aware of all this rotten offenders. Sexual offenders do not get cure, It is been proven time after time. In prison they go trought the process of completig some counseling in order to show that they complied with a court order, It is a mind game for them, but this guys are ready to re-offend as soon as they step out from those gates. So please why some of you viewers out there take a proactive view and educated yourself on how we need to be vigilant cause guess what ? it can happened to anyone of us. None of the peole who decided to posted a comment are excempt from this dangers and I applaud the ones that understand that anything about this low life sxual offenders is PUBIC INFORMATION. The water could not be more clear than that. Que viva Nancy Grace.

November 1, 2009 at 5:36 pm
  33. Sandy heckt

I have no compassion for anyone charged as a sex offender..NO ONE! The are the lowest of the low and prey on women and children. how can anyone defend these people? It may be a sickness(?) but it is EVIL and can you imagine what a child goes through at the hands of said preditors? before they are stabbed, raped and strangled? the fear they must fear? and then to be dumped in a dumpster as tho no one loved them? no one will miss them? whether it be this particula man or any other offender? My God how is this acceptable? How is this OK...when our children can'tplay in their own front yard or walk home from school? PersonallyI don't care who's name in mentioned Jan Taylor,,they give up that right with the first offense!yeah I amsorry I say zero tolerance Nancy !

November 1, 2009 at 6:19 pm
  34. Luci Lou

I 100% agree with Kathleen and find it almost laughable to think he would change his preference out of nowhere- ESPECIALLY the sex of the victim. MAYBE the age, MAYBE the appearance, but not the sex.

And for some reason AS SOON as I saw her mother on tv discussing the whole thing, it just seemed like Susan Smith all over again. Like, I had no doubt.

I tend to focus a lot on words used and her grouping and selection seemed off. Somewhat detached or rehearsed and theatrical. THAT was the word I was looking for; theatrical.

BUT THATS JUST ME!

For the little girls sake, I hope- and believe- they will catch who did it. Only then may she rest in peace.

I just doesn't

November 1, 2009 at 6:46 pm
  35. Sheila Columbus, Oh

I noticed that several months ago little Haleigh Cummings was abducted in Satsuma, Florida. Orange Park is just north of Satsuma off of US17. I am sure the detectives have checked into this. Could there be a serial child killer out there???

November 1, 2009 at 8:41 pm
  36. joni

Some pedophiles do both sexes. Relative of mine married a girl. Later found out her step-father molested the, her, and the other girls in the family, AND the boys too! He did BOTH. There are some that are Bi.

Since they are SO VERY SICK, this isn't even surprising to me.

November 1, 2009 at 9:07 pm
  37. joni

Sorry meant "her step-father molester her, and the other girls in the family,"

November 1, 2009 at 9:08 pm
  38. sharon

Could they do a "search of K.K.'s residence", and look for hair samples, his stained underwear, any pencils or things that may have belonged to Somer? Does K.K. live alone? Has he changed in his behavior? If he is freed again he's one to "watch". HIs kind of work sends him anywhere, and yes, near schools where he is NOT allowed. Lots of these men ride with someone else, could be his driver had gone to lunch, and left him unattended, and so that was the reason for putting her in the trash, to hide her from his ride, and any one else nearby. It's a dark path to follow a sicko's mind. It sure amazes me, that all of a sudden we are having a rash amount of this kind of crime. When that Cooey man was put down, for Jessica Lundsford death, I was hoping it would go away. Seems like no matter what we do this crime continues. It is just unreal, how many sicko's are around. We would shudder to know the real number. I hope the killer of Somer is caught soon.

November 1, 2009 at 9:57 pm
  39. Mich

As to sex offenders having a victim preference. While it is true that with post pubescent victims preference is present in most cases. A molester of younger victims will indeed often offend against both male and female victims.

Here is a link to a petition site. This petition seeks automatic federal minimum sentences for those who harm our children. Please sign.

November 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm
  40. Sarah Frances

It is unbelievable that there are so many people, especially women, who come to the defense of a convicted child molester/killer! I think they should have it tattooed on their forehead, so innocent children can identify them with one glance. Putting them away only protects THEM; they are coddled and protected, and eventually set free so they can prey on the innocent again. I worked in the prison system for years and can accurately state that they are the cry babies of all humanity. Our country is in a sad state; no one helps a victim of gang-rape, people are killed because of sexual orientation, or the color of their skin. I think the world is close to falling off the end of the earth ; unless good people start speaking up and taking action to protect the innocent, our children do not have a chance.

November 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm
  41. joni

Kathleen and Luci, I agree. I don't think Pedophiles change their preferences either. I think they ARE what they ARE. I wonder if some of these creeps who do have preferences would pass up a good opportunity?

I think one of the first "Bi – Pedophiles" I ever read about was Joseph Duncan, III. Long time pro pedophile! This happened in Idaho, in 2005. I have never forgotten it.
    He used night goggles from the woods, to stalk little Shasta Groene age 8, and Dylan age 9, her brother. HOW WELL THEY PREPARE! When he decided the time was right, he burst into their house and killed the mother, her Fiance', and their older teen age brother. Duncan then kidnapped Shasta and Dylan which was his goal. Killed 3 people to get them. He later killed Dylan.

Someone mentioned that we have no idea what happens to these children, and I too have wondered WHAT do those sickos do to those poor children, before we find their little bodies. In this case, Shasta lived to tell. Dylan was raped, tortured, burned, shot in the head, hung until he lost consciousness. Multiple tortures ... that poor innocent handsome little boy – murdered.

Shasta and her kidnapper were in a Diner in the wee hours one morning, and an alert waitress recognized her, and called 911. Thank God it was finally over for her.

November 1, 2009 at 11:00 pm
  42. sandyk

I have a perfect cure for these pervs. It involves them on their knees and a bullet to the head. As somebody who has survived one of these monsters, I can tell you, the scars are there forever, if you survive. Not just your body- your soul and heart.

November 1, 2009 at 11:29 pm
  43. CHRIS

WHAT ABOUT MITCHEL ROMERO?! DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM? OR IS IT THAT HE ISN'T "WHITE" SO YOU CHOOSE TO COVER OTHER STORIES THAT GET BETTER RATINGS?
    HE WAS MISSING BEFORE THESE OTHER KIDS AND YOU'VE ALREADY LOCATED 2 OF THEM TRAGICALLY.....BUT NONE THE LESS YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM, BUT NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE WHAT IS HAPPENING TO LITTLE MITCHEL ROMERO! WHY????

November 2, 2009 at 12:59 am
  44. IvotedObama

After reading the comments... I would like to point out this...

BEING A "SEX OFFENDER" DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE A PEDOPHILE!!

"sex offenders" could be given that name from being found guilty of rape, or other sex crimes against ADULTS. Even being a pervert who flashes themselves could be charged and labeled a 'sex offender" Doesn't mean they physically harmed someone or would(just making a point) It seems to me that everyone is to eager to jump on the hate band wagon and blurt out things like they should never let them out, or put them all on death row... The truth is that there are ALL SORTS OF WEIRDOS! and if you say we should lock them "all" up and throw out the key...where does it stop? pretty soon they can lock up ANYONE for ANYTHING.....That's where this country is headed for... I just get mad when I see ignorance being thrown around by people who don't even know the difference between being called 'sex offender" and what it means to be a 'pedophile" each word is different, look up the meanings. Yes they are both horrible, but to say that all sex offenders would hurt kids? is stupid. That's what's wrong with our country, to many stupid people who go off and do stuff without using brains or logic and reason. I'm glad we have a judicial system, because according to most of you, anyone accused would be strung up and killed without evidence, just on a name given them... sounds like the salem witch hunt all over, only MORE DANGEROUS. Sad.....

November 2, 2009 at 1:16 am
  45. Colleen

Even though most SO "prefer" one sex to another, one age to another, whenever they get their "prey" they don't care. IMO

November 2, 2009 at 7:52 am
  46. Jessie Currt

Jan...have you not already read his rap sheet? Does he need to molest your children to believe he is at least a suspect?

November 2, 2009 at 8:56 am
  47. Kat

Dear Roxanne Santana,

I do agree with you, Nancy is a wonderful show. I love watching her. However i do disagree with the way you blasted Jan. She has a point in saying innocent until proven guilty. The police say they don't even have any evidence or anything linking him to it. Yes he is a piece a scum, he shouldn't have any rights he should have never gotten out of jail. But its not fair to speculate on him when he lives so far away and they have no proof of anything yet. I don't think Jan was neccassarly defending this man, I believe she was really talking in general how the show is connecting him. They probably just had it on because they didn't have anything else to fill that slot. If i was this man and I was innocent and got cleared of this crime, I would sue everyone for slander!!!! Maybe you need to smoke your peace pipe or pop your pill and relax. CALM DOWN ROXANNE SANATA

November 2, 2009 at 9:33 am
  48. Sampson

This guy may or may not be the killer. But WHY do we not Execute ALL sex offenders where DNA evidence proves them 100% guilty. Time and stats show that a majority of them re-offender. Quote from Ted Nugent " I don't like repeat offenders I like DEAD offenders " Watch the interview on youtube and see if you do not agree.

November 2, 2009 at 10:28 am
  49. Rick

To Jan Taylor:

The presumption of innocence applies only to people not convicted of a crime. Your comment " am offended by your plastering the name and photo of Kenneth Kellam when you have NO FACTS ABOUT HIS GUILT!!!!! This is wrong!!!
    Every man and woman in this country has the right of the presumption of innocence until they have been proven guilty by a court of law. " does not apply to sex offenders. That is why they must register as a sex offender for the rest of their life. The have a presuption of guilt until proven innocent.

November 2, 2009 at 10:45 am
  50. Carol

If this animal did this horrible act he needs to hung by his balls until he bleeds out of his ears and that is a fact.

But we have to make very sure he did it or it will be thrown out of court and that is something we can't afford so we have to make sure our t are crossed and our i are dotted and that is another fact.

November 2, 2009 at 10:53 am
  51. sunni

Have they looked at the kids she had a fight with and was suposed to be running ahead of when she went missing? There seems to be so much child on child crime these days. And hiding her in a garbage can in sight seems about right for children's thought process.

November 2, 2009 at 11:08 am
  52. stephanie

om god i dont know how i would be able to handle kowing that this person was the one who took my baby and did unthinkable thinks to her then killed her. i would loose my mind . i dont think i could compose my self in court . no matter how much i know him being off the streets and that hes not hurting other kids i would still personally want to get him if i was Somers parents .. and they have every right to .

November 2, 2009 at 12:02 pm
  53. Maria

Shame on you Jan Taylor! A convicted sex offender loses the right to privacy and many others. They are made "public" to everyone including where they live, where they work and what they look like. Apparently this terrible stuff has not in any way touched your family or anyone close to you. It is something that a person keeps within themselves forever. And, a pedophile is that absolute worst of the bad. My heart is broken for this family and I pray for them to find some peace. I hope the person(s) responsible are caught and dealt with to the fullest degree possible. We need to stop allowing these predators out of jail.

November 2, 2009 at 12:48 pm
  54. Vince Ceiwark

For gods sake, Roxanne. Jan is speaking about being plastered with the allegations for this case, not his previous convictions as a sex offender. Don't be so reactionary.

November 2, 2009 at 12:57 pm
  55. Miltiarymale

I think sexually predators should have to put a sign on their door and wear a vest that says i am and always will be a sexual offender. Everyone in the community has a right to see and know every sexual predator in the neighbourhood. The fact they are allowed in certain areas is amazing the city, state, and government dont care what they do once they are out. They dont do regular check ups like they are suppose to, they dont monitor where they live, and the community isnt informed when they move in cause the government dont care they believe everyone deserves a second chance. I bet they wouldnt say that if one of their children was missing and the guy lived right next door to them. I hope they find the guilty party to this crime and fry him as for the other ones out there you did the crime deal with the consequences for the rest of your life if i find you within 10ft of my children you wont breath long that is my right to defend my family.

Enjoy life.

November 2, 2009 at 1:36 pm
  56. C Pas

I am curious about the blue nissan situation. I heard the press conference where the police said it was a FDLE agent driving the car and he stopped to help the girl when he saw her crying and she said she couldn't find her house. But the woman who came upon what she thought was an attempted abduction said a woman was driving and speaking to the girl and telling her to get in the car and then the woman who happened upon the scene said the nissan sped away and she followed the girl home (so she did know where her house was).
    So I haven't heard the police address the differences in the two stories. Has anyone?

November 2, 2009 at 1:50 pm
  57. wa mom

Im so sick of hearing about these sick people hurting children over and over and only getting a slap on the wrist. They should be castrated if convicted so they do not have the urge anymore. Forget about that being inhumane to them, they are inhumane to todays children.

November 2, 2009 at 2:29 pm
  58. DLOVE

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE CHILDREN DISAPPEARING THESE DAYS . I HAVE A 5 Y.O. AND WOULD NEVER LET HER RIDE HER BIKR SCOOTER WALK HOME ALONE OR OUT FRONT BY HERSELF. WHAT ARE THE PARENTS THINKING!!!! WE LIVE IN A DIFFERENT WORLD. WHEN I WAS ABOUT 8 A MAN CAME INTO THE BASEMENT OF MY COUSINS APT BUILDING IN NY AND ATTEMPTED TP SHOW US A MAGIC TRICK. HOW A CERTAIN PART OF HIS BODY CAN GROW AND SHRINK.THEN HE ASKED IF WE WANTED TO TOUCH IT??OUR FIRST INSTINCTWAS RUN LIKE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1THEN TELL SOMEONE.ANY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SOMEONE HAD TO SEE SOMETHING.ON A CROWDED STREET IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY!!!WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE LITTLE GIRL WHO THEY FOUND WITH CEMENT POURED OVER HER BY THE RIVER??SHE WAS ONLY 5.DID THEY FIND HER KILLER.TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO TALK TO NO-ONE THEY DONT KNOW AND DONT GO WITH ANYONE THEY DO KNOW UNLESS THEY ASK YOU FIRST. THEY ARE PRECIOUS LITTLE GIFTS FROM GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 2, 2009 at 2:41 pm
  59. joni

I have heard that only 10% of all pedophiles are registered. Even if we look them up on sites ... only 10% are shown? Could reflect NONE are in our neighborhoods, but not accurate! And – we are learning – they "travel'.

They have many sites on the net these reject pedophiles, and share information how to do it, and how to do it better!

Such great thinkers here ... terrific place! Our children NEED all the help they can get!

November 2, 2009 at 2:56 pm
  60. The Judge

P.S. Nobody deserves a bullet in the head unless they are found guilty by undeniable evidence. Otherwise they deserve a life sentence. If you yourself wish to kill someone, I hope they kill you. Killing is for scumbags. Quit trying to justify your "scars" by the death of another human. Overcome it. Don't sink below it. Yes it's hard, no one ever said it would be easy.

November 2, 2009 at 3:00 pm
  61. mitzi

Jan Taylor, are you by chance the lover or wife or relative of the scum you're defending so? He's an animal and deserves to die. As does anyone who supports that dirt bag. Give me a break. You offend ME along with most of the people who read your rambling, ignorant post.

November 2, 2009 at 3:39 pm
  62. Bubba

Mich, and others, it's a proven fact that these nut jobs will kill their victims if they are looking at more than a few years in prison. I'd rather have my kid back traumatized and the offender doing easy time than have my child dead and the offender likewise. It works the same with those who rape grown women; more than about seven years and they decide to be safe and kill them.
    Also, sometimes a stretch in jail will straighten them out. They still want to molest kids, but they fear prison, and so they stick to dirty pictures.
    My personal preference would be to grind them up into dog food, but we gotta think of the kids. Besides, once we know their names they are not going to prosper.
    Judge, I'd kill one of these creeps, and sleep well afterwards. But I wouldn't WANT to kill them, or hunger for their deaths. I'd kill them like roaches or rats, nothing to get emotional about.

November 2, 2009 at 3:46 pm
  63. joni

Seldom do we ever really know WHAT is done to these children before their deaths. A very RARE thing.

Never in my LIFE have I read anything like this!!! And, it IS RARE that an eyewitness lives to tell about what happened, AND ALSO a video tape of everything too. BUT they have it in this case. SUCH an EYE OPENER for ALL of us!

Maybe you would want to read it and learn some of the HORRIFIC things (I don't even know the words – really), that are done to some of our children before I am sure, their welcomed death. This is WORSE than ANY horror film out there, I believe. They are written by SANE Script Writers, I think. Really ... forewarned. It is beyond the normal mind. He is bi-sexual, and cross dresses too. I saw the photos.

November 2, 2009 at 3:48 pm
  64. William

This is for the responder Jan Taylor.

People like you are the reason these child molesters keep attacking our kids.
    You state he has not been convicted of anything "Yet". Should we wait until he kills someone to put his face out there?
    I agree we are all innocent until proven guilty. He was caught on his second atempt with the boys. So in my mind that is him being guilty.
    Of at least attempting to abduct these boys. As a former correctional officer, police officer and father i have a deep hatred for child molesters.
    They get a slap on the wrist tossed in prison with 200 plus channels of cable, free workout rooms, basketball courts, hand ball, video games and other fun things to do. All the while the family who they have destroyed by killing or raping their children sit at home empty and wondering why them.
    No i am sorry i feel nothing but disgust and we should plaster thier sex offender faces on every empty space in public we can.
    Jan, you are just as bad as they are!!

November 2, 2009 at 3:52 pm
  65. char

kathleen, "Sexual Offenders do NOT change their preferences on a WHIM. It is UNREALISTIC to even THINK that a male SO that targets little boys would all of a sudden target little girls. Please get your facts before you link a SO with a case.
    I'm surprised none of you picked up on this."

u may be right, but what ive UNDERSTOOD about RSO that they are a creature of OPPORTUNITY, and they will usually seize opportunity, even if it deviates from their preference... eg, if they like little boys, but the opportunity presents a little girl, they may take advantage of that {opportunity) = and nab her. i could be wrong, im not an expert by any means( thats why i emphazized "understood" like that)

November 2, 2009 at 4:02 pm
  66. John B

These offenders are sociopaths in that they don't have any remorse for their victims but ALSO they have no fear of the punishments either. Jail terms- where they are fed, don't have to work, they watch television, and compare their conquests with other sick MF'ers!- are not a deterrent. Life, death and castration sentences are the only things that will get their attention. John in Tampa. PS Jacky on 10/31/09- Escape From NY starred Kurt Russel, not Patrick Swayze (or Swazi as you spelled it)you moron. Stick to quoting stupid movies you actually know sweetheart, like Legally Blond or whatever

November 2, 2009 at 4:17 pm
  67. shannon

Kathleen and Luci, it is nice to see that there are a few other people in the world that have their heads on straight- No one seems to get the fact that NOT EVERYONE that has to register killed, hurt or molested a child- maybe they urinated in an alley and got caught– not every one is a pedophile- not everyone is a serial rapist- and no it is not true that sex offenders perptrate for 18 years before they get caught- in this day and age- you gotta be kidding.– true pedophiles disgust me too, but good grief some of these people have paid their dues, and the last offense was over 30 years ago- what do you have to say to that

November 2, 2009 at 4:59 pm
  68. joni

John, years ago the definitive "teaching book" about Sociopaths was
    "The Mask Of Sanity". I don't know what they are using now. I think they still don't know what causes it, nor how to cure it. I read something though about when infants/babies, IF they don't get the comfort, loving, security they need, a certain part of their brain will NOT develop. This can NEVER be corrected, thus making them sociopaths. We can all do Searches for the latest data.

On John Walsh's site, America's Most Wanted, the have, and can send you, wonderful videos, the latest information etc. to help educate us and our children. We shouldn't just "guess" what to do educating them about this pandemic, we should get that really IMPORTANT information from Experts. IMHO.

November 2, 2009 at 5:00 pm
  69. shannon

John B- yes I can see that you were a cop and a C.O.- rude crude and socially unacceptable- power of the badge- right dude?? You have NO right to speak to ANY One the way you did in yopur last blog. Especially if it was a female- You know Rape is all about power- maybe you should look at the man in the mirror – O gee, let me get this right- as Michael Jackson says - Pompous Oaf !!

November 2, 2009 at 5:53 pm
  70. Mandy G

It just saddens me to the fullest to hear stories like these. Caylee, Haleigh, Somer, etc. the list goes on and on. I hope the responsible person is held accountable. I feel for the family of little Somer. I can't imagine the pain and heartache. Something has to be done. We can't hardly let our children be kids anymore. When I was growing up, we could go outside in the morning and play til dark all over the neighborhood and momma didn't have to worry about checking on us every 5 minutes. I hate that I can't let my daughter have that freedom. There are too many sickos out there that just wait on these babies. I love Nancy Grace. She is, without a doubt, a very strong woman. It is clear the level of concern she has for these children and being a victim herself, she has come a long way and can relate to these victims.

~A concerned parent

November 2, 2009 at 5:56 pm
  71. joni

Chris,

I think Mitchell Romero is listed as a "Family Abduction" case. I notice most times they don't get near as much attention as stranger abductions. Maybe that is it ... ?

November 2, 2009 at 6:32 pm
  72. joni

Shannon, Lisa Bloom, Gloria Alred's daughter, (an Attorney also), said "They should free the NON-violent criminals from the prisons, and make room for the dangerous ones!" I agree.

November 2, 2009 at 6:37 pm
  73. joni

I recall hearing something about a "Van" outside that burned out house where Kennth K. was working, and Somer was last seen. BTW, I think the houses are far apart on that street. That could make any abduction easier. Kennth K. has a Van?

My friend's grand daughter was almost kidnapped, he had a "Van".

Almost kidnapping in CA where Amber went missing. This was 3 weeks previous . The girl escaped and told about it. Three Mexican's in a "Van". Amber was on her way to the same school to buy her lamb and distribute her Valentines cards that day.

The kidnapper of Shasta and killer of her brother Dylan had a "Van".

Danielle Van Dam's killer was her neighbor. He had a big RUV. Took her to the desert for the week-end before he killed her.

Seems like they like bedrooms on wheels ~ VANS, RUVS.
    SICK REJECTS!!

November 2, 2009 at 7:49 pm
  74. Eileen D

Jan Taylor- I would like to see all sexual predators tattooed across their forehead "I am a predator, keep your kids away' – better yet they should be locked up for LIFE on the first offence, That's the only way our society will be rid of these vermin. You should try showing some concern for the victims and not these criminals.

November 2, 2009 at 9:47 pm
  75. Sstone

A Question!!!
    I do watch your show often.
    I'm not from Florida. It seems though, The Garbage trucks, and people getting out of the bars and out of their night shift would all be suspects, not every town has security camera's up on light poles or stop lights at inter sections?? Does Florida? The garbage around Michigan comes around at 3am to 4am in the morning at least once a week.
    We take all safety percautions to lock our doors, patio, and windows, especially on the night the garbage trucks come through to every house in the middle of the night.
    I wished there were more that websites can do.

November 3, 2009 at 12:17 am
  76. Jan Curry

I am an expert. I have been a licensed counselor working with sex offenders for 10 years. Most kids under 12 look the same to these offenders (male and female). Yes some prefer boys to girls or visa versa but most of the time it is a crime of opportunity. Most sex offenders have already offended 200 times (sometimes the same victim many times, sometimes many victims) before they are ever caught. Most are never caught. Most are hoping their victims never talk...most don't because of fear or shame. Most of the "sex offenders" in my groups have molested children. Most habe done their time and these groups are mandatory. I have a few guys in group that have raped women. Both had left their victim for dead. Most of these guys do not want to go back to jail but I do not trust anyone of them. Just like most convicts they will do what they think they can get away with. Most have no remorse, it is usually all about them. A pedophile (by the way) is a sex offender. It is just a very specific type.

November 3, 2009 at 12:42 am
  77. Ashlea

What is wrong with you people????
    There was an innocent child that has been kidnapped and murdered and all you can talk about is the actual definition of "sex offender" versus "pedofile"????
    Anyone that has been proven to have done these disgusting things to a child before deserves to be looked at any time another child goes missing. This Kellan person was caught trying to abduct 2 kids. Would you rather wait until he kills them and then start questioning???He's not being prosecuted, he's just being questioned and rightly so. And I personally believe once convicted, these people don't deserve my tax money keeping them fed and clothed with a free place to live in prison. But, my personal opinion nor your opinion matters here.

We need to pull together and do whatever is necessary to keep our kids safe and keep these perverts from another chance to kill.

November 3, 2009 at 11:28 am
  78. Justice

Jackie Diamond, please reserve your racist comments. I am Puerto Rican and American and no one in my family, immediate or distant is a criminal. My family is full of hard-working people. Some with college degrees and others without. I also have hard working and educated friends that are cuban. This blog is about Somer and justice for Somer. I want to mention that in the hispanic community we recognize that we have criminals too. Those criminals are not the majority. The majority are decent, hard working individuals. I agree, we should make these pedaphiles pay. I would like to see them exterminated. Your racial hatred is not appreciated. I'm sure many non-hispanics would agree and you are not speaking for the majority. Let's unite and do something about eliminating the window of opportunity for these pedaphiles. Let's keep our eyes open and stand up for our children and make it impossible for them to do this to any other child. If America unites, we can prevent these perverts from committing these crimes. We need to be aware and treat everyone's child as if they were our own and help protect them. Enough is Enough! I am going to be one who will keep her eyes open and will protect the children of America. Quit talking garbage and join me! To those people that are home in the day time I say, go outside when children are on their way to school and keep an eye on them. Protect them. If you are not doing anything at home get outside and watch the children while they play. Write down the license of all suspicious vehicles. Let's not let our guard down and do something! It's time!

November 3, 2009 at 12:31 pm
  79. Cathy

Simple!!!!! Castrate them!

November 3, 2009 at 1:12 pm
  80. BarbEB

Haleigh Cummings Case-

Why has everyone disregarded "Junior" – if he was there that
    night – he could easily answer two easy questions–
    1-Was he home and when was the last time
    he saw Haleigh -Was Misty home-
    – All he has to do is ans yes/no..
    2-When the 911 call was made –there was no mention of a
    2nd child there?? Why–If I made that call I would have stated
    that one child was safe/left behind-

Why weren't the Psych Detectives called in?

November 3, 2009 at 1:24 pm
  81. joni

Who was it who said on this blog that Registered Sex Offenders (they must have been found guilty to BE a R.S.O.) are guilty, and aren't they of a previous crime? And THEY have to prove themselves innocent? Very interesting observation. They truth will set all of us – free. All they have to do is tell the truth. That, like DNA, never changes.

Good citizens like us, are innocent, until proven guilty. But – they HAVE been found guilty, at least once, and we have read they cannot be cured.

I think L.E. always does parallel investigations at one time. I heard they investigate all tips also. I hope so. I don't believe, we the public, know all the facts that they have which is probably a good thing. It is very difficult then to know "what is", when all the facts are not made public. I do think it is helpful to discuss though. Some great thoughts come out of bloggers.

I have noticed some TV people seem to get "advance" facts, and hint at things before they can really say them as hard facts! Surely they have a better pipe-line than we do.

Interesting observation whoever you are.

November 3, 2009 at 2:47 pm
  82. Shannon W.

As for Jan Taylor's comment...Kenneth Kellam is a registered Sex Offender and gave up his rights and freedom the day he touched a child in an inappropriate way. So they all can go to hell and burn! He has no rights, none of them do! They took away a child's innocence because of their sick mind. "JUSTICE FOR SOMER THOMPSON" Keep up the good work and the good reporting Nancy Grace!

November 3, 2009 at 3:06 pm
  83. Sharee

I think investigators need to look more closely at Somer's MOTHER. Just watch the footage of the mother. Look in her eyes and the look on her face. I don't see any GENUINE sadness or concern. That's all I'm going to say.

November 3, 2009 at 3:34 pm
  84. kathy

the law is not strong regarding about sex offenders in this country and in this world . sex offenders hands should be chopped off when they touch the small innocent kids.

November 3, 2009 at 4:35 pm
  85. joni

Kathy, I read recently that even if castrated, or chemically castrated, they would still find a way to DO what they want to do. They would use an implement of some sort – to accomplish their very sick needs! LIFE in prison, or as you suggest.

I read years ago too, that they chopped off hands of pick-pockets, in the Square. AND while they were doing that, pick-pockets roamed the crowd – working.

Some just NEVER QUIT do they. They can't, I suppose.

November 3, 2009 at 5:02 pm
  86. lam

When are these child molesters gonna get what they truely deserve,either to be locked up FOREVER, castrated, and or the death penalty..? ! I just dont get it...there are hundred of thousands in our country alone and nothing happens to them they get a little time then put right back into the population to strike again...they are unable to change so we should change them ! Castration, and brain surgery jail for life and the death penalty are good places to start !

November 3, 2009 at 5:04 pm
  87. NYPrincessTt

Pedophilia is less about sexual prefrence (he liked little boys vs. little girls) and more about POWER. Power to choose a victim, and power to comit these acts against the victim. Maybe he had targeted little boys in the past because that is what he wanted, or maybe he was acting out something from his past. Maybe little boys were more available then, or maybe a little girl was just an easier target this time. The point is, if we understood how and why the mind of a pedophile functioned, we would be that much closer to putting an end to children being harmed. No one truly understands why these people do what they do.

November 3, 2009 at 5:24 pm
  88. Steph

As i read this story what the heck if i had my boys almost taken from me the mom was there but honestly as a parent i would not let my kids go out of the school with out me period. In the world we live in to day it is so sad that our kids cant even be safe and walk home from school or a school bus stop with out worry that our kids are not safe anymore. It sadden me so much because i think of when i was little i used to love to walk home from school with my friends. As I look in to these cases and i see most of the time its a child molester that is hurting our young children. What can we do i think that there is 2 things that we can do first all child molesters need to be cut of the men heard cut the privates off and 2nd brand them on the forehead as child molesters same with guys who rape. The system that we live in. It does not protect us i think they should all be locked up for life and torture the way they do with the victims. As for Somer i hope this is the guy so her family can start the grieving process and they can rest at night to know that the monster who killed there daughter is behind bars.

November 3, 2009 at 9:59 pm
  89. MeLissa

Jacksonville has been my home on and off all my life. I was born in NC. My father in NC died last year after a long illness. During the time I was caretaking for him I became reaquainted with my cousin, Samuel Thompson. I now live in NC part of the time, and Sammy is a regular at my house there. My son and his family, including my two grandaughters live in south Jacksonville. So this story hits very close to home for me on both sides. The story of Somer is more tragic than I can ever put into words. The people of Jacksonville made me proud in their support of the family. However, it also pains me that this is my home, the Thompson family is my family too. Yet Somer's father has been excluded in more ways than I can name here. He has never said a foul word against his wife that I have heard, nor has he placed any blame other than on the person who did this. Somer had a father who loves her. I have seen this man crumble before my eyes in agony over this loss. I was beside him in NC when he heard of the birthmark on her body, found in a dump. I have seen him denied the rights of a father to console his son in the loss of his twin, to console his daughter thru her grief and guilt at the burden that was placed upon a 10 yr old. I am a mother, I am a grandmother. I would not have allowed my daughter to walk home at 10 with friends, 20 yrs ago, or have placed the burden of being responsible for two 7 yr old twins on her. It is not societys place to ensure my children get home safely. It is mine. Criminals are lazy, even perverted, sick, evil people look for easy targets. WE MUST PROTECT OUR CHILDREN. WE MUST CHANGE OUR LAWS TO ENSURE ANYONE WHO HURTS A CHILD IS PUNISHED WITH THEIR LIFE.
    Do I know who did this? No. But what I do know is that people seperate. Mothers and fathers are busy dating and trying to make new relationships when they are suppose to be concentrating on raising their families. A single woman who is dating and allows men to stay at her house, brings in a whole new group of strangers in her childrens lives. If alcohol and drugs are in the mix, the children are at a even greater risk. If mom is passed out, there is no telling what can happen to their sons and daughters. I AM NOT IMPLYING that this was Somers mothers lifestyle. But there is a 28 yr old man waiting for her children? "Someone who visited alot?" and this is not her live in boyfriend.. that is another man? How many men who are not related to these children are in their lives on a regular basis? I do not know what her lifestyle is or was. My heart truly aches for her pain at this loss, it is evident that she is devastated. I cannot imagine her grief.
    But to say that "everything was done right?" A ten yr old cannot babysit. I am sorry for the loss of this beautiful child. I am sorry that this evil monster is still out there. Maybe next door to my beautiful grandaughters. 1 in 100 are taken. Those are the odds. It takes a village to raise our children. Know your neighbors. Know where the known sex offenders are around you. Watch out for each other. God Bless the WHOLE Thompson family and please keep them in your prayers. jessicaslawnownc.org If you wish to make donations, make them to the justice fund to raise the reward to find this maniac, contact your representatives and ensure sex offenders are not allowed to hurt another child. IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING... TELL THE POLICE... thank you all for your support and love... it was desperately needed for everyone involved in this tragedy.

November 4, 2009 at 12:01 am
  90. MeLissa

Thank you Nancy for your support in helping keep the stories of these children alive... Justice for Somer!!!! We will not rest until this monster is off our streets... forever.

November 4, 2009 at 12:10 am
  91. Jeanne

I'm with Kathy above, chop off their hands, although, in this P.C. world we live in the damn sex offenders get out and do it again and again!
    I wonder what a bleeding heart liberal would think if it was their kid being molested and murdered? What ever happened to "let the time fit the crime." Lock the bastards up for LIFE!!!!!

November 4, 2009 at 3:44 pm
  92. Heidi

this is sick. when I was a little girl, around 7 years old, I was at Target looking at Barbies. I had a man come up to me and show me something that I should NOT have seen. It was so incredibly traumatizing! However, I knew to tell my Mom right away and they got security involved. This was is1986. My mom???...literally 10 feet from me. In my opinion, anyone who commits rape should never be free, for they cannot be rehabilitated. PERIOD. What is wrong with people??

November 4, 2009 at 3:51 pm
  93. Trudylynn

if the producer needs anyone to imply the intensity of Casey's hatred and rage in the moment she killed Caylee, I could do that. I understand her hatred for her mother and why in one intense moment she would be capable of this tragic fit of rage. I know the anger all to well.

November 4, 2009 at 4:42 pm
  94. Trudylynn

no no. her killer is a man that is living in one of the houses that people live in, a deviant moment that ended in murder. Look there please. I was molested more by men who others thought were on the up and up than the "stranger". AND the law should be...if you molest you do life if you murder during that molestation, you die. Surely these two levels of punishment for crimes against children would prevent these deviants at least from murder allowing the victims loved ones to help them heal.

November 4, 2009 at 4:50 pm
  95. anonymous

Calm down Jan, read the article. This man was arrested for trying to solicit 2- 4th graders. he deserves his name in the media. He is an adult. Maybe there are other victims of this particular individual that will see him and come forward. He is someones uncle perhaps dad, cousin, like he hasn't been around other children. hello! Child preditors are a virus that keep multiplying. Once a child offender Life without parole or Capital punuishment. Stop letting these maggots out of prision. Somers parents need to polygraph "just to clear the air"!

November 4, 2009 at 6:45 pm
  96. joni

Trudylynn
    I think the walls were closing in on Casey. Cindy too I feel wanted Casey to be a better person – and mother. Always always at odds I would think. Like oil and water!!

Mommy was ONTO HER!!! Throwing her out! This time, Casey OFFENDED Cindy by stealing from HER Mother! (Cindy usually plays down stealing, from others, nothing bad.) Neighbors heard the violence, but of course Cindy denies ANY fight whatsoever! Tony said "You can come live with me but don't bring Caylee."
    Yes the squeeze surely was on lazy squatter Casey. Shame she didn't get a real job, and have a real honest life! Not her choice.

November 4, 2009 at 8:27 pm
  97. joni

Looks like Casey was planning this for awhile. I guess she needed a little PUSH to do it. Didn't she search Neck Breaking, Chloroform, and other sick things? She had to be thinking of this for some time...

OR was she thinking of killing Cindy? She told her friend her parents were divorcing or something and SHE would get the house I think. They would both live in it together.

November 4, 2009 at 9:22 pm
  98. Stacy

Something is fishy about her murder too. I just find it odd that nobody saw anything.

November 5, 2009 at 10:54 am
  99. Carole

Living near both Folkston and Jacksonville, this tragedy certainly hit close to home. My question is, and I haven't heard anyone else ask it yet, but have all the teachers and school workers from Somer's school been questioned? I am wondering this since she was last seen near the school by the little boy. Since her mother stated that Somer and her siblings new about stranger danger, has anyone thought about the perp being someone from Somer's school whom she knew and would have been comfortable going somewhere with if they had told her they would take her home?

November 5, 2009 at 6:15 pm
  100. Carol Broome

TO SOMER’S MOMMY,

I’m a Victim Survivor and I hope my words can help you, somewhat! I know (in an adults eyes (I was 25 years old)) what your sweet little girl went through during her attack….I know what she felt like when she was dying. It sounds like your little Somer went quick. If she had to go this way at all (God knows why), at least she did go quick…she didn’t have to be with her attacker a long time.
    At first, she would have felt confused and mixed up about what was going on. Then as she was being assaulted she actually felt very safe in the moment of the attack. We always think that when we die we go “up” to heaven. When she was alone with her attacker, she was never really alone…God came down to take care of her…to be with her during the most horrible time in her life. He held her up high away from her attacker…she was not there in the moment of the assault, she would have gone into an out-of-body moment being held by God. She felt no pain during the attack and she was not afraid! She was more concerned about her mommy & daddy and all of her siblings. She knows by this time that she is going with God to be an angel. I promise you she was never alone!! You know when people say God never gives us too much to handle. Well, in this kind of a situation it is too much to handle so God comes to be with us to protect us from the fear and the pain.
    I was followed into a women’s public restroom and brutally attacked by a stranger. He beat me on the head eight (8) times with a ½” breaker bar wrench with the intent to kill me. His reason why was because he hated women and wanted to know what it felt like to kill a woman. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time (just as Somer was). 100 stitches later, he took all of his problems that made him who he was that day, and beat them into me. But I didn’t hurt, nor was I afraid as he was beating all of his problems into me…God was holding me tight, just as I know he was holding Somer tight also!
    It’s (27) years later for me and I’m still not too sure why I lived through my attack, except that I did have a (3) month old son. My attacker made me disabled for the rest of my life with brain damage. I live in pain and misery and emotions every day from my attacker. He “did’ kill me….I just didn’t die! Somer is at peace!

With Love, from one Victim Survivor to another!

November 6, 2009 at 2:56 am
  101. trm

Sharee and others–

Somer's mother is my cousin, and there are many of us in the family mourning her loss and keeping a watch on the case. Please be humane enough to temper your conspiracy theories with the knowledge that people grieve in their own way, and in their own time–not necessarily in front of the camera where you can see it. Imagine someone scouring your reaction at your child's funeral, in countless TV interviews. Imagine being accused of murdering your child because you did not grieve to someone's satisfaction. Imagine all the times you weren't there to see her mourn.

Naturally, she doesn't have to listen to you. And I can't claim to speak for my family here. I know that Diena wants answers. But all of you. Have some consideration for the family's situation before you propose amateur theories. Let the police do their job and question their suspects. If you have real tips, based on good proof instead of wild speculation, there is a family full of grieving people looking for them.

November 6, 2009 at 1:42 pm
  102. Marley

trm – My heart goes out to Diena. I truly believe there is no rule book on how to cope with grief and anger. To deal with both of these feelings at the same time – we all deal with pain in our own way.

November 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm
  103. Carol

My personal opinion is that they don't have the suspect in this murder. I think they are grabbing for straws. I think they should start around the home????

November 6, 2009 at 11:03 pm
  104. Sandy heckt

To Carole Broome...What a beautiful and heart felt post..Thank you! is was uplifting and appreciated.vs some of the other negative post..I do not believe Somer's Mother had anything to do with murder.Not all..How sad her cousin has to defend herin this time of unbeliebable grief,,,NOT ALL MOTHER'S ARE CASEY ANTHONYS...THIS GIRLCHOSE HER PATH IN LIFE AND I FOR ONE WANT JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE..PRECIOUS BABY DID NOTHING WRONG IN LIFE EXCEPT TO BE BORN INTO THIS FAMILY..I AM A NURSE AND EXPECTMORE FROM CINDY AND GEORGE ANTHONY..WHO IS STANDING UP FOR CAYLEE IN THAT FAMIY? TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU CINDYKNOWS EXACTLY WHAT SHE SMELLED IN CASEY'S CAR..AS WELL AS DOES GEORGE..

November 7, 2009 at 1:35 pm
  105. joni

Carol and Sandy and others. GREAT POSTS.

Cindy and George are standing up for:

1.Mental Illness
    2.Murderers
    3.Making money from the ghosts of dead babies

November 7, 2009 at 4:15 pm
  106. Sandy heckt

Thank You Joni..doesn' tyour heart just bleed for Caylee..This child will remain in my memory for life, Casey has manipulated everyone in her life and the funny thing is she has manipulated Bozo Baez as well..Who spends 8 hrs in their attorneys office daily? Iam so sad for ALL of our murdered children..I suspect Haleigh is gone as well..She hasTurner's syndrome and needs her medicines. As does little Hassani Campbell..I believe he is with Caylee and Haleigh as well..so so very sad..sometimes the people we trust most are the people we can trust the least..

November 7, 2009 at 6:57 pm
  107. joni

Sandy, yes always. I will never forget her either. All those photos implanted that beautiful baby indelibly in our minds. And too, her singing You Are My Sunshine (which we sang when little too), really touched all of us.

And they think they are fooling all of us. No person EVER spends 8 hours a day in their attorney's office unless some SERIOUS hanky – panky is going on. We all KNOW what Casey is, and Bozo too, another winner. What was his "side business"?

I read he had to take the Bar 3 times to pass. You should look up the rest ... awful!!! Third from the bottom of a huge graduating class. AND from what school?

What great HARM this Casey has done to citizens of Florida. Hurt all of them financially, and her family fighting SO HARD to destroy other's lives, to save a worthless MURDERER. HOW SAD. The way they have their business set up, aren't they entitled to GRANTS?

Most families of murdered babies grieve. They have NO energy. The Anthony's FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! Nothing normal going on there, ever.
    Talk about a TOXIC FAMILY!!!

November 7, 2009 at 8:29 pm
  108. whawah

Ivoted obama- you're the real problem with our society!
    A pedophile, a sex offender- they are all harmful. Time to castrate them all!
    You shouldn't be proud of the fact that you voted for obama.
    My thoughts- look closely at somer's mother. Something is not right.

November 12, 2009 at 5:03 pm
  109. Kat

whawah- what does Obama got to do with this???? I do agree we need to castrate sex offenders, but only the ones who harm children or rape someone. Like ivotedobama said there are many different reasons why you would be labeled one of those.

November 13, 2009 at 8:09 am
  110. DeOL

My heart and prayer goes out to Shaniya and her father. i do not understand how or why a nasty sick person would want to have sex with a baby. Justice needs to be served. Children do deserve this. God will wipe away tears from our eyes. This man needs to be killed for what he did. The mother needs to have all of her childrent removed and she should never see the light of day. i can never understand this behavior.

November 21, 2009 at 2:37 am
  111. Tommy S.

I was reading about this murder on the website they set up for Somer and there's a guy – girl named Chris? who brought up some good points about what he thinks took place.I think it was one of the workers at that burned house.

November 24, 2009 at 2:58 pm
  112. Anne C

Why on earth has this case taken a back seat? I care more about this little girl than Tiger Woods Nancy!!! Save his story for Entertainment Tonight and put this little girl back on your show. You had and have Casey Anthony on constantly and this little girl for a couple of days...her life less important???

December 14, 2009 at 11:16 am
  113. Marisa P.

My deepest prayers go out to the whole family. My heart is broken right along with their's over this case. I certainly would love to hear more updates on the hunt for the killer. It truly has been moved to the back burner. Justice needs to be done now before anyone gets hurts again. Sommer is and has always been an angel among us! And I'm thankful for that.

December 18, 2009 at 6:42 pm
  114. Sandi Parrott

A suspect has been arrested as a person of interest, in addition to being charged with 29 counts of child pornography. FBI and FDLE are right now scouring a house at 1152 Gano Avenue in Orange Park for evidence and the suspect, Jarred Harrell (24) has been arrested in Meridian, MS. They have also impounded a car that belongs to the suspect.

February 11, 2010 at 7:38 pm