Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

Susan Powell's Hubby Moves Away

Susan Powell's Hubby Moves Away

Missing Utah mom, Susan Powell has not been seen for over one month and her husband is reportedly skipping town…for good. Josh Powell left the Salt Lake area last month, spending the holidays at his father’s in his hometown of Puyallup, Washington.

Joshua Powell
Joshua Powell

He recently returned to Salt Lake, but just to get his things and pack up his house. As of today, he has returned to his father’s house and had no plans, as far as we know, to come back. Members of Powell’s church came to help him pack and load up a moving truck.

I asked a family friend, Kiirsi Hellewell, why Josh Powell is leaving and she said that his reasons were mostly financial. With no job and no way to pay his bills, Josh Powell and his two boys will be staying with his Josh Powell’s father until further notice. Regardless of financial difficulties, police say Josh Powell has not been cooperative in the investigation for his missing wife and he has hired a lawyer. In recent weeks, there has been a media blitz in an effort to gain support and focus on Susan’s story. Family and friends have posted information on internet networking sites as well as youtube.com, to keep Susan’s face in the public eye. But Josh Powell has not been involved in these efforts, nor has he gone online to read anything about Susan, according to Hellewell. Why? Friends say he is keeping away from the media and staying quiet, as he is the only person of interest in this case.

Susan Powell, was reported missing Dec. 7. Josh Powell told police he last saw her about 12:30 a.m., when he took their two sons camping in the snowy west desert. Police have said he later stopped cooperating with officers who wanted to know, among other things, exactly where he went camping. Susan’s family patiently waits for answers, while Josh Powell allegedly keeps his distance.

Post by:
Filed under: Missing Persons
  1. Kim

At least Scott Peterson pretended to search for his wife and put up Missing flyers for Laci. This guy just moves away like she never lived as
    his wife and the mother of his children. Joshua is the only one who knows what happened to Susan. If you really loved your wife and had nothing to do with her disappearance you would search to the end of the earth for her. He could of moved in with his sister. Since Susan has disappeared into thin air, I would consult a psychic who has some proof of solving some cases. I know they consulted one when Laci Peterson went missing and she was spot on to where and who took Laci and Conner's life and Jackie Peterson did not like her answers because she told it was her perfect Son Scott.

January 11, 2010 at 6:31 pm
  2. Mike

Unreal. This story is a heartbreaker. But the point I have been trying to make for several days has only been commented on by two other writers....Allison and Lydia.

Nancy, you go to far claiming diaper rash is abuse. NOT ALL DIAPER RASH IS ABUSE.
    Yes....you do help bring light to many cases and that I am thankful to you for. But think before you talk.

She needs to retract the statement of abuse when it comes to diaper rash (she didn't even explain the "level" of the rash being a very important criteria!)

Mike

January 11, 2010 at 6:44 pm
  3. yolanda flowers

i believe he killed his wife but it was a n accident. i could see it in his eyes when he talks he looks down or away as if he see it happening all over again

January 11, 2010 at 7:00 pm
  4. Donna Forbus

Hey Nancy, just wanted to say thank you for all you do.I love your show. I watch it when I can. I love all the pictures of the babies you have shown us. Keep doing what you are doing cause you make a difference in a lot of peoples lives including mine.THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. Love you Nancy.

January 11, 2010 at 7:02 pm
  5. Brenda

Re: Baby Gabriel. If the mother does not want Gabriel, why does she not just turn him over to the father who has custody? Why on earth would you give this child to total strangers instead of someone he knows and loves? This is reminiscent of Susan Smith who chose to kill those sweet, innocent little boys instead of giving them to their father. Hey, does Zaneida Gonzales have an alibi for the period in which Gabriel disappeared? She might match the description of the mysterious "couple" that Gabriel's mother met in the park and knew for about five minutes before she handed over what should have been her most precious thing. Shame on a mother acting the way she is!

January 11, 2010 at 8:41 pm
  6. nell green

nancy have you or any one else seen the couple that said they wanted to adopt baby gabriel when the man is talking and he might be going to say something maybe he should not say she will touch him on the leg i sure have been noticeing it. i dont know but i feel not so good about them two. thank you something dont seem right dont know what but something. thank you nancy and god bless you

January 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm
  7. n. lori

Nancy, I think Elizabeth Johnson is working with an underground baby selling ring and I think the Smith couple knows all about it. I think they are going public to stay under the radar. This would explain the funds she had and they probably made all the arrangements for the hotel, bus tickets and the youth home in Miami. Where are Elizabeth's parents. Baby Gabriel could be out of the country by now. What if some wealthy person on the other side of the world needed a heart to save their own child. This child could be anywhere for any reason. God be with Baby Gabriel!

January 11, 2010 at 8:55 pm
  8. Sassafrasford

Joshua Powell is a murderer! It's a shame we live in a country that has laws that protect people like him.

January 12, 2010 at 7:37 am
  9. Terry

It is so obvious Powell did something to his wife. If he didn't he would be cooperating any way possible to help find her, if not for himself for his children. She wanted out of the marriage and he refused. Simple as that. He is scum of the earth!

January 12, 2010 at 9:51 am
  10. trish

Josh killed her and she is probably in a frozen lake somewhere. Remember he knows a lot about secluded camping areas!

January 12, 2010 at 10:50 am
  11. nancer

as i recall, susan smith killed her children because she had a new boyfriend who didn't want children--not to keep them from her ex-husband.

the woman in this case sounds just as immature and selfish as susan, though.

January 12, 2010 at 11:40 am
  12. Charlee in California

Yep he moved away from the constant media that he is involved and probably killed his wife. Unfortunately, just because you move doesn't stop that. I hope the police results come back and show that he killed his wife and they arrest him.

January 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm
  13. wengy

humm.... moving away due to financial difficulties?? seems like motive enough to kill your wife. The police should look to see if Josh Powell invested in some life insurance policy for his wife recently. Obviously this guy has guilty written all over his face. Question is.... on that foresaken night did he really leave the house with the two kids "on a camping trip" to dispose of his wife's body or did he dispose of it in thier own home and took the kids out to make sure he had an alibi?

January 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm
  14. Diane

I just hope that police can somehow prove he killed her as we know he did. The dead often come back to "speak" much like Laci and Connor Peterson.

January 12, 2010 at 12:54 pm
  15. melanie ryan

He stopped corporating cuz they wanted to know where he went camping? Why? Did he not go camping? This hurts my heart. I pray for her boys and that they find her soon so they can have closure.

January 12, 2010 at 1:29 pm
  16. Jen

I live in AZ and this has been big news here-this woman, Elizabeth Johnson, is a proven liar and slightly disturbed woman who grew up in foster care and really is not capable of loving a child. She was unhappy being a parent and decided she wanted to give up 8 mo. old Gabriel and when they biological father found out, he petitioned to get custody. Elizabeth, out of malice and vengeance, did not want the father Logan McQueary, to have custody. Logan has had a few run-ins with the law and this has not helped him with his battle for baby Gabriel.

ELizabeth Johnson failed to respond to several summons and "waited it out" as long as she could to avoid court while she tried to find a prospective home for Gabriel-on the last day of the deadline to appear for court, she failed to do so and custody was automatically granted to the father, Logan. With no job, no money, she managed to go to Texas and allegedly got rid of baby Gabriel there. This is why police believe Elizabeth Johnson had some help-but I hope and pray that this broad did not sell this baby and that Gabriel is in loving hands. The police and County Attorney here are going to charge Elizabeth with the most severe charges available-not just kidnapping but failure to cooperate with police investigation, etc. Her bail has been set as cash only, and 2 million dollars I believe. She's not going anywhere. What a tragedy this has been and I do hope they find baby Gabriel safe and in good hands.

January 12, 2010 at 1:35 pm
  17. Lee

This guy is as guilty as they come. At least try to make some sort of effort to find his wife if he didn't do it. He is worse than Drew Peterson never mind Scott Peterson. My heart goes out to those little boys and to Susan's family. Josh is destroying all of them. Taking the boys away from their mom's family, running away from murder. Is there something the justice system could do to keep him from leaving Utah? We all know he is guilty and that Susan is no longer with us.

January 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm
  18. The Humungous

I can't wait until we hear the "Smores Defense" when Powell gets tried for murder. If its marshmallow, graham cracker and chocolate.....you must acquit.

January 12, 2010 at 1:52 pm
  19. GERRIE SMITH

POWELL POWELL POWELL what are you doing. My dad had a old saying YOU MIGHT GET BY BUT U WON'T GET AWAY. He must have study some of Scott Peterson trial and lets throw in some of Drew
    Peterson drama and let stir it up OJ aquittal. And what do u get life
    in prison for murdering your wife

January 12, 2010 at 2:24 pm
  20. Glane

I don't get it. I hope to God the police, friends, and family of Susan keep a vigil to find out what happened to her. The media dogged Scott Peterson, but I haven't seen it much in this case. I don't understand how he can dismiss the police questioning, etc. I hope that Nancy will keep it in the spotlight, as well as other people, so that she will not be forgotten as a missing person. Someone knows what happened to Susan Powell.

January 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm
  21. Carol Mattis

Nacny,
    I am a mom of 2!~ why would he not whan help!~ he should have enough love for his children to croprate in the investcashion and not run or face what going on!~ it makes him look guitly!~ sorry about spelling!~ not good spelling!~

January 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm
  22. Brenda

Mike –
    I totally agree with you, though I didn't hear or read where Nancy said that – but I'm not doubting you. Please don't get me wrong. What I am doing is totally agreeing with you. My daughter – when she was a baby (obviously) had diaper rash so bad I had to put a zinc oxide like ointment on her CONSTANTLY. If I didn't do it one time out of the million diaper changes, it would come right back. And believe me – I never abused my child. I probably should have been harder on her – she's 18. 'Nuff said?

January 12, 2010 at 5:26 pm
  23. Stacey

Gotta agree with Mike about diaper rash. My children have hypersensitive skin. If they soiled their diapers overnight they will have a rash that bleeds the next morning. If I dont notice their diaper has been soiled immediately during the day they will get very very red.
    In a lot of cases children are like this. It doesnt matter what we coat their behinds with they will get a rash....

In some cases a rash can be indicative of child neglect however there are many people with children like mine. WE are constantly changing bathing lotioning and butt pasting our kids...but they just have ridiculous skin!

That bothered me a lot when she said that too!

I have been a mom for over 16 years. I have children of both sexes and several different ages. If I saw a child with or heard about a child with diaper rash I would not be so naive to assume it was due to neglect.

As far as this missing mother goes? I simply do not understand the husbands actions. I would hope he had nothing to do with it. However, he isnt acting like an innocent man. Take that with a grain of salt however because sometimes innocent people do things that make them appear guilty. I wont profess to know how one should react in the event taht a souse goes missing.
    I would like to hope that my husband would drop everything and search to the ends of the earth to find me.

This is so sad....the world is just so sad.

January 12, 2010 at 5:50 pm
  24. Donald in CA

Taking his little kids camping during a blizzard, Please. This guys story is worse then Scott Pettersons.

January 12, 2010 at 8:26 pm
  25. scarlettangel

Is it me? Or does someone else think the FBI should have been watching this guy from the get-go. To think he went several hundred miles without their knowledge ( to begin with) just drives me nuts.

Nancy, give us your low down!

January 12, 2010 at 9:55 pm
  26. Michelle Myers

I believe Josh Powell to be nothing short of a murderer and even worse. He should at least confess to what he did with Susan's body so that she can be given a proper burial. I feel sorry for those poor children...They were probably in the same vehicle as their dead mother while their worthless father dumped her body into the desert. If that was my wife, nobody would be able to drag me from my home until I found out what happened to her...but then, he already knows what happened to her. That is exactly why he isn't even bothering to look for her. That is why he is moving to Washington. He hopes that she will never be found. What a pathetic joke of a "man." I know that this is pure speculation...but I bet that there are a lot of people that believe the same thing that I do about what happened to her. Josh Powell....you are a coward and a murderer. You don't deserve those precious children!

January 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm
  27. gwenabob

Nancy:

Someone on your crew needs to check out this site. It is believed to be Josh's dad. Please check the pages in "about me." The chilling tale there may lead to clues about what happened to Susan.

January 12, 2010 at 11:12 pm
  28. Edmund

Of all the things this man might go in debt for-it was not the house nor his wife–it was an expensive attourney----

January 13, 2010 at 12:29 am
  29. Henry

Do you feel that he planned going to the camp site and having someone come and either kidnap and take her away? Has any large sums of money been takin from any bank accounts? Any places he has visited that may be out of character? He is hiding something because when you love someone you will not let no one silence you if you sincerely and truly dont know where your wife of your kids is. worrying about your job is the least of your problems. Think of your babies and what you can do to help bring them closer to your mother.

January 13, 2010 at 1:54 am
  30. Rose, Washington State

What parent would take two pre-school children camping in December? They're very young and even a day time outing would be plenty to be in the snow. Most families who go camping, usually do it together, yet she's missing just as he returns from a remote desert trip!

It's more than alarming & sounds very strange that he's not talking with authorities or answering questions from investigators (?) I heard last night, he's hired a lawyer and moving to Puyallup, Washington. The media will come too....

January 13, 2010 at 7:44 am
  31. Tom

Why have we not seen a media blitz showing Josh's picture and pictures of the family minivan and the car he rented the next day? Someone must have seen him and/or these vehicles that night/morning and the following days. If the police want to solve this crime and find Susan, they need to have points of reference as to Josh's whereabouts. Surely someone out there saw something.

January 13, 2010 at 9:43 am
  32. Skippy

I don't believe word that comes out of Powell's mouth. Another murdering husband who thinks he's going to get away with it. My heart goes out to the little boys who will never see their mother again. God bless them. And may their father burn in hell. (in the middle of a blizzard)

January 13, 2010 at 10:10 am
  33. pak31

Brenda, in the Gabriel Johnson case, it would have been the thing to do but she doesn't want the babies dad to have anything to do with him. She claims he is a bad influence, abusive, etc. She even said(although it's strange)that she felt ok just giving him to a stranger. She wants to keep him as far away and safe from the dad. Those are her claims.

January 13, 2010 at 10:29 am
  34. pak31

Yolanda, I agree with your statement. I felt the same thing. Josh has that look of guilt on his face. I could truly see it as a case of anger or being out of control and he killed her accidentally. Then he had to get rid of her which would explain the crazy leave in the middle of the night story. Sadly though, he thinks he can explain away his actions with a silly story and people will believe him. It too find it odd that if your spouse is missing and you don't know if they are dead or alive, that you wouldn't–you couldn't–leave town. Supporters are claiming that he's leaving because he needs to find work and care for his sons, but he could do it in Utah. What if his wife DID come back(i.e. she ran away and had a change of heart) she'd walk into a vacant home, nice. Plus after all this time the fact that he won't talk is odd. Even just a little something to say how worried he is etc. But nothing. Didn't Scott Peterson move during the time Laci was missing too? He claimed she was missing yet he moves away from the home that his wife lived in. Crazy.

January 13, 2010 at 10:35 am
  35. Samuel

You know I cannot believe where we have gone as a country who' beliefs in a fair justice system, have come to this point to where we are convicting people because of an opinion. I cannot speak for this guy or any of the others out there who recently were at the center of an investigation but I do believe that the Police and Justice system need to work according to the way our forefathers laid the constitution.
    If this guy murdered his wife, then he deserves to hang for it! But if there are still some unaswered questions, then they need to be researched untill answers are found. We are suppose to be innocent untill proven guilty in America but thanks to Nancy Grace and other like her, a trial will be held in the publics mind and without all of the evidence, this guy will get convicted. America, lets let the Justice system work for a change. Because of the careless handling of the Scott Peterson Case in Modesto California, I cannot help but think that somewhere down the line, a discrepency in the case may be discovered and they may have to let him go. (if he did really murder Lacy then I would hate to see him go free because of a discrepancy in the case) I do not think that Scott is an angel by all means. He cheated on his wife! But as a murderer, I am not so sure. It is just real funny how his girlfriend lawyered up so quickly when this all broke loose. I worked as a Law Enforcement Officer for eight years before I decided to pursue Private Investigations. I have dealt with dangerous people and know how they work. I would hate to think that someone who is guilty could get off due to mishandling of the case (As such in the OJ Simpson Case)
    I think some out there ought to put themselves in the place of some of these people and ask themselves what they would be doing if they were accussed of murder. So He moved out of the area! I am not the least bit surprised. If you know you did not do it, that would not be enough. You would have to defend yourselves to a point. But because he moved out of the area, everyone is thinking he is guilty as sin. I have heard the events and the other evidence and I am still not convinced that this guy may have had something to do with this.
    Well, it is obvious that he will not be able to ge a fair trial in Salt Lake City thanks to the media. We need to let the Constitution be used once again and let the laws of the land work. Nancy likes to attack the men in cases such as this. Its funny, I did not see her going after Susan Smith or Andrea Yates when those incidents took place....

January 13, 2010 at 10:37 am
  36. bdk1

Oh yeah, I believe his story-NOT! Sure I would let my husband take my kids camping on an 18 degree night so that I could sneak away from my family with none of my personal effects, leaving my two innocent babies to fend for themselves. Why are the police letting him leave the state? If he is a POI, shouldn't they be watching every move he makes? Have they searched the house, his vehichle, or the campground for traces of blood, hair, fibers, etc? What are the police waiting for: her body to wash up on the lake shore the way that Laci's did. The only difference between Joshua Powell and Scott Peterson is that at least Joshua didn't kill the kids, too.
    Also, how the HELL do you get confused about what day it is? Unless he was trippin' on some bad drugs, there is no way he could lose track of what day it was. Maybe the cold froze his brain......

January 13, 2010 at 12:26 pm
  37. Crissy

I too believe Josh is guilty!!!!! It seems like another case of Scott & Drew Peterson to me, it all seems the same. I wish they would find these missing ladies so their families could have some closure.

January 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm
  38. terri

I can't understand what is taking the Utah police so long to arrest this guy? There MUST be some kind of evidence in the house, or the rental car? How can he just get away with this?
    His packing up and moving to Wash. to live with his Dad is just showing how guilty he is. He is running away from his problems. If he was innocent, why isn't he staying to look for his wife and helping the police investigators out?
    OH BOY..... we have another Scott or Drew Peterson here, FOR SURE! What a sad situation this is. How can a young mother just "disappear" like that? And going camping at midnight in a blizzard is complete BULL _ _ _ _ !!! How could he make up such a stupid story as that?
    God Bless Susan Powell. And her family. Those poor little boys of hers, they will never know their beautiful Mother, thanks to their evil Dad!!!

January 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm
  39. joni

I cannot believe this guy can just pack up and leave!!! and he's getting away with it all?
    Something has to happen soon, to prove he is guilty! So the police can make an arrest.

I pray for Susan Powell and her family. God Bless her.

January 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm
  40. GateKeeper

I don't know what to think of this story..but I do know that the accused are innocent unitl proven guilty..and a lot of people have given this man the death sentence already..

I do find it odd that he is silent about things since his wife disappeared.

...and who takes their kids camping intentional when it's snowing out or inches of snow is on the ground? These children are quite young for something like..

..and on the other hand..circumstance evidence is TOO weak in the courts today... the courts will send sent someone to prison upon circumstance, no evidence of nothing other than a theory..how many prisoners are getting of of prison today for a crime they did commit but were convicted of? Thanks to DNA..

..and further more- atleast Mr. Powell didn't blame it on some black guy.. as others have done at a drop of a hat and the statement was proven a LIE ..

..if you want out of your marriage be a MAN or WOMAN and get a divorce..stop KILLING your spouses'. and/or your children...

BTW- Ms. Grace you do a great job..I watch your program often when I get the time.. my best to you and you family.. may God bless you and yours..

*GateKeeper

January 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm
  41. nicoli616

WHO SAID HE LOVED HIS WIFE???? WANTED HER BACK ?????? I'M SURE HE WANTS HER BACK, BUT HE WAS THERE- HE KNOWS, ONE INSTANCE OF INSANITY COST HIM HIS WIFE-– CAN I NOW LOSE MY KIDS AS WELL??????? THUS, THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT CAMPING TRIP "COVER-UP"- JOSH KNOWS THAT LOSING HIS KIDS AND GOING TO PRISON WILL NEVER BRING SUSAN BACK-- IF HE HAD ANY CONFIDENCE IN TELLING THE TRUTH,, HE WOULD NOT BE BEHAVING THIS WAY-– WE JUDGE HARSHLY, AND HE KNOWS IT-– AND HOW CAN HIS CHILDREN KNOW "DADDY KILLED MOMMY"-- I FEEL FOR U JOSH- I KNOW WHERE U ARE AT-- BUT U MADE A BIGGER MISTAKE, THAN U DID THAT HORRIBLE NIGHT-- U CANNOT BE HEALED BROTHER UNTIL U COME CLEAN-- THE GOOD NEWS IS, AFTER MEN COMDEMN U, GOD WILL COMPLETELY HEAL U, RECIEVE U AS IF THIS NEVER HAPPENED-- HE KNOWS ALL ABOUT IT-- HE UNDERSTANDS HOW SATAN COMES-- FOR YOUR SAKE JOSH, FOR YOUR PEACE, GET RIGHT-– GOD WILL GREET U, WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN-- MAN IS A DIFFERENT STORY- BUT MAN HAS TO RESERVE JUDGEMENT FOR HIMSELF, BY COMPARING THEIR OWN "GOODNESS" TO OTHERS WICKEDNESS"-- BUT GOD HAS A BIG FUTURE FOR U JOSH, JUST FALL ON THE ROCK-– OR IT WILL FALL ON U

January 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm
  42. Merrilyn

Nancy, thank you so much for covering the Susan Powell story. I watch your show every night. If anyone can get to the bottom of this case I know you can.

I live in Utah and feel extremely frustrated watching this play out in the media. I have followed this case with extreme interest. Josh Powell has moved from the area now and plans to let his home go back to the bank. I feel that their home is probably a crime scene and the West Valley Police are not being aggresive enough. Is there any other agency involved in this case like the FBI? I feel like the evidence they need to nail Josh Powell down lies in that home and a good forensic team could find it. The local news media said there were two wet spots on the carpet of the home with fans blowing on them when the police searched the home. I watch a lot of murder investigation shows and it doesn't matter how well someone thinks they clean up the crime scene, a good forensic team can always find something like maybe dna evidence on the subfloor underneath the wet carpet in this home.

I know Susan's friends and family are doing what they can to find Susan but I feel more pressure needs to be placed on her husband. He appears to be moving on with his life with no concern for finding his wife as if he knows she isn't coming back. I am extremely concerned about their two young children. I feel like he killed his wife and now he is caring for his children. If he is capable of killing his wife, what will he do to their children. What kind of emotional scares will these children endure from their father. He has probably already told them their mother abandoned them.

There is so much more information on this case I think you and your audience would find very disturbing. Our local television station KSTU has a website with all the stories they have run. I think you would find the information compelling to share with your audience. Their website is http://www.fox13now.com. Stories like Powell's neighbor having dinner with Susan at Powell's home the evening before she went missing. This neighbor indicated Susan had talked about divorcing Josh. They have been having marital problems for years. There is so much more that paints this picture pretty clear. It seems the West Valley Police Department have nothing to go on and I find it hard to believe. There is motive and Josh's actions and alibi are shameful.

Thank you so much for what you do Nancy.

January 13, 2010 at 3:05 pm
  43. christy

I believe josh killed his wife. He wouldnt take his two young sons camping in the freezing temperatures, That is probably where he buried his wifes body.

January 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm
  44. Kuuipo

Please don't forget Susan Powell, keep the spotlight on this case until the guilty party is brought to justice! Please do this for Susan's children. Susan reminds me so much of Laci Peterson with her beaming smile and her big brown eyes. Josh's lack of cooperation and compassion and his move to Washington tells the tale.

January 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm
  45. SYSPROG

Oh honest to CHRIST! None of you know ANYTHING. But don't let a good story get in the way of the FACTS. Right now he is moving to Washington so he can feed and cloth his CHILDREN. WHILE you are all convicting him have you offered to do ONE THING to help the family? No? Are you all good CHRISTIANS too? Why don't you let the LAW do their job and then you can all sit back and nod and say 'yeah I knew it'...but until then it's just sensationalism.

January 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm
  46. Commonsenseagitator

Whether this man is guilty or not he's clearly being tried in the press by a lot of know it all women for the most part, women can lie and cheat and steal and run off and other women will cover for them. Really shows the quality of todays woman.

January 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm
  47. nicole terry

I think Joshua Powell is guilty. He did something to Susan and he knows it. He's moving away, not cooperating with the police. It's like he thinks she never exsisted. I hope her kids are doing ok. Everything points to him, but yet they don't question him more often. They need to bring Social Services in and get those kids out of his care. If he killed his wife, who knows what he would do next. He just might hurt his kids.

January 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm
  48. Cindy

I think that he is moving from the family home because either the body is hidden somewhere in the house or on the property or there is evidence of a crime hidden in the house. WEST VALLEY POLICE DEPARTMENT needs to check the attic/rafter area and every knook and cranny in the basement. When he all of a sudden decided to take his young boys camping was just a ploy to try to give himsef an alibi. It is a sickening thought to think those little boys were probably in the same vehicle as their deceased mother. At their young ages they probably fell asleep almost immediately and this gave the father a window to put the body into the vehicle and also time to pull it out and toss it along the route to the supposed campsite. if the children are old enough I would like them to be hypnotized by a qualified child psychologist and see what the little boys recall. REMEMBER YOU CAN RUN AND HIDE BEHIND RELIGION BUT THE TRUTH HAS A WAY OF COMING OUT.

January 13, 2010 at 5:01 pm
  49. kathy

josh u kill ur wife, otherwise u would not run away, but help plice to find your wife. go to the end of the tunnel and find your wife. u are a coward and loser man.

January 13, 2010 at 6:12 pm
  50. Mona

Seriously what waws he thinking to take his family in freezing weather to camp.Its commom sense that there was more to the trip.Has anyoine talked to the children about what went on that night?They should check phone records and talk to his closest friends about an affair or if they were having any promblems.It seems like a lot more of an investigation should be happening.

January 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm
  51. Arkfan

You can usually tell wtihin 1 day whether a person is guilty.A person who is innocent is really sad and upset and willing to do anything to find their wife or whoever it may be.Then, they're Josh!!!!!!

January 13, 2010 at 6:23 pm
  52. Carrie

I am wondering why law enforcement is allowing him to leave the state. He could be deemed a hostel witness and held. What the heck he also is in danger. Whoever killed his wife might be after him. Maybe they should take him into protective custody. Puyallup is only a few hours from Canada; hence a plane trip from Canada to a country with no extradition would be a piece of cake. Kids stay with the grandparents and daddy goes on the lamb.

January 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm
  53. steve fassett

Josh has got Scott Peterson syndrom..

January 13, 2010 at 8:27 pm
  54. Soonie

Hmmm. Did the police ever check the house for Susan?

January 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm
  55. Edmund

In another (and entirely different) context– Albert Einstein once said–If you want the truth–dont listen to what they say–watch what they do-

January 14, 2010 at 12:06 am
  56. amy

its not the world/earth that is going crazy its humans even the ones who say they are sane they have problems, thr rich middle class the poor all in the same boat you live you make bad choices then you die , jesus christ came to earth so all humans could be forgiven , sin is sin wheather its great or small so many people gasp at what others do and what others sin is, and they gossip when in reality they have sin in thier lives also. its a human desease not limited to just one person or one group or sect of people but all are born into it. mabie josh did kill his wife mabie he didnt mabie baby gabriel is alive mabie he isnt , what i am trying to say is instead of the gossip gossip gossip , why not pray for these people pray for the inocent and the guilty jesus christ would have, and he loves both the inocent and the guilty. if humans could learn to love then and only then will the world become a better place.

January 14, 2010 at 1:35 am
  57. amy

as technoligy increases and we move closer into the future there is going to be more crime becouse people cannot addapt to changeing society they will not be able to cope. humans will become overwhelmed with changemost will fail to adapt to the future an increase in violence is bound to break out. thats why we need jesus christ.

January 14, 2010 at 1:40 am
  58. Diane

Elizabeth Johnson can say she knows that Gabriel is still alive but can't possibly know that if she hasn't seen him for days. If she sold him, the people that have him could not return Gabriel to authorities without consequences. If they can't take him out in public without drawing suspicion, they may decide to harm him. Perhaps some offer of amnesty and they would bring Gabriel back.

January 14, 2010 at 2:09 am
  59. joesmith

if the banks can steal your life savings, destroy your 401k, cause your house value to drop 30%,help cause the 10-14% unemployment in this Nation, and around the world, can in the same breath, give themselves bonuses of half a million $; then law enforcement should be able to use truth drugs to extract the truth from some people who have obviously lied, or deliberately gone mum..maybe a little waterboarding would solve the problem..

January 14, 2010 at 7:22 am
  60. Jason in VA

Someone should waterboard Mr. Powell until he comes clean. I am so tired of giving obvious criminals their "rights". At what point do we convince the judge to issue an arrest warrant. The obvious camping lie alone should be enough to at least lock him up.

January 14, 2010 at 10:42 am
  61. Mike in Montana

There's something 'wrong' with this boy.. His attitude and actions.., just don't add up. There's something 'wrong' here. To stop searching for your missing wife, lose your job and then move away from Utah during the continuing search and investigation.., it doesn't make sense. Its like, he is trying to run away from the problem and hide, like nothing has happened. Well gang.., thats 'not' how it works. Mike in Montana

January 14, 2010 at 11:08 am
  62. bcbjp

i mean come on... i know lots of parents who take their infant children camping during the middle of the night in a remote part of the woods when its freezing out... his story is ridiculous...

January 14, 2010 at 12:38 pm
  63. Lin McKay

To think that Powell will be allowed to raise his two sons is sad. I guess it is a good thing they will live with his father but nonetheless, he is a husband who knows what happened to his wife and needs to own up to it. It is unfair to her sons that she has gone missing and the tales he will tell those two young boys. Her parents and siblings deserve to know what really happened to her. I cannot help but believe that Powell killed Susan and disposed of her body in the hills where winter weather and animals will make it impossible to solve the crime. I also worry if he has any emotions at all, and it is doubtful, that one day he will feel remorse and in his twisted mind he will end the lives of his two sons just before he kills himself. The boys should be placed in a safe house or in foster care. If he didn't have them to raise and remind him daily perhaps he would breakdown and admit the crime. There must be a way to charge him for something. Sad day for Susan Powell and those two darling children.

January 14, 2010 at 5:02 pm
  64. Stacia

Unbelievable story about Susan Powell's murder and her husband Josh' failure to cooperate with police in finding her. As everyone else has stated, I believe he has killed Susan. I feel sorry for his children that are now motherless. They are the ones who are going to suffer the most in life. I don't understand how a father could do this to the mother of his children as well as to his wife. I can't believe fellow church members would help him move. If they truly believed in God, they would encourage Josh to work with the police and admit any wrong doing instead of helping him run away! I hope this case is solved soon so Susan can be laid to rest. Sad story all the way around!

January 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm
  65. karen in Alaska

For my oldest son I was able to use cloth diapers, but when the twins came along we had to change to disposables, because they'd have such bad rashes with the cloth. The process of elimination and ointments will solve this problem. If it's too bad...go to the doctor!

This Powell guy is going to run out of time soon! Spring will come soon and the snow will melt! Maybe we should all go looking this summer! You should be a real proud Mormon Priesthood holder huh Josh?

January 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm
  66. Liz

He murdered his wife and soon enough the spring will come and her body will be found I think he moved the children because he wants his family to have them once he is charged. Susan's family needs to get into court ASAP and seek sole custody the longer they let him have the kids the worse it will be.

January 14, 2010 at 7:35 pm
  67. e

Ignorance is rampant here and funny..duh....the police are not stupid, they will get him! Be patient!

January 14, 2010 at 9:53 pm
  68. Debbie

I'm glad CNN released where he went, I hope he's hounded for the rest of his sorry life, and never gets a moments peace til he fesses up.

January 15, 2010 at 11:15 am
  69. doofus

i used to go camping with my family all the time when i was younger. i even had my own backpack and mummy bag. you all say it's a shame we live in a country that protects murderers like this guy. i think it's a shame we live in a country where people like you all are so eager to hang someone and form your opinions based on media feeds. it doesn't matter now whether this mad killed anyone or not. his life is screwed and you all are putting the nails on the coffin. not that i personally think he's innocent, but you are all clearly very one slighted and one sided. so much for innocent until proven guilty? i know i'd shut up and go away if my wife was taken from me, famiily destroyed, bashed in the media and the police thought i was the killer...

January 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm
  70. Jean in SC

Nancy- I have watched the Susan Powell story since it first came out. What could be taking so long to finish the test results from the carpet fibers, the family van, the secret rental car, etc? Please continue to report on this story until Josh -a "person of interest" becomes a suspect and is arrested for her murder! His story is riduculous-who knows anyone that "forgot" to go to work and left to go camping with toddlers at 1230 am????

January 15, 2010 at 3:18 pm
  71. Carole

Why doesn't CPS step in and take the children away from this man. Even if he turns out to be innocent this is not a good environment for them. Have they been questioned? Do they remember camping?

Children have been removed from families for so much less. Why can't these chlidren be protected?

January 15, 2010 at 3:25 pm
  72. (: MLS

Isn't it obvious? He clearly has at the least, SOME idea where she went and what happened to her. I watch you every night Nancy( : & I heard his former neighbor speak, and she said that Susan would never let them go camping at midnight when it's below freezing out. Isn't that already a clue? I know you can't convict someone without having actual proof but he isn't doing himself any good by just picking up and leaving. It's crazy to think someone who has no idea where their wife & mother of 2 children went & would just pick up and move. It sounds like he's hiding something, & it's something very close to their former home. I just find it suspicious that he would go out w/ his kids at midnight, without his wife? I can't believe how low and disgusting people can be these days, it sickens me. It's like you can't even go into a marriage w/out having to worry whether you're spouse is a murderer or not. People have litterely buttcheredddd the meaningggg of life. Ugh, I just hope Josh gets what he deserves. He's getting off the hook with refusing to cooperate, and its terrible that someone like him can get away until they end up finding her dead. It's like they can't do anything until the worst happens, and until then Josh is free. Whether he did it or not, it's clear that he knows what happened to her and that alone is one reason he needs to be locked up.

January 15, 2010 at 4:42 pm
  73. HG in Arizona

Utah?? He tossed the body in an abandoned mine or cave not many explore where desert/praire roving vermin despose of remains?

January 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm
  74. American Women are Monsters

American women continue to prove themselves to be unmitigated monsters mudering their childrena and then showing up with fancy so called "women issues" attorneys in a shameless attemtp to bury their children even deeper. An amazing conspiracy between scum bag attorneys and evil Americna women. The end of the world must be near.

January 15, 2010 at 11:00 pm
  75. Linda in Oregon

Do some of you people ever think with your heads as opposed to your emotions before you post? One certainly has to wonder.

IF he had killed his wife and buried her or hid her in the house or on the property, what sense would it make to give the house back and thereby give the police full rein to investigate and search without his permission? Wouldn't it make MORE sense for him to stay there and do whatever he needs to do to facilitate hiding her and/or a crime scene?

As for moving home to be with his family, way too much is being made of this decision. It is highly likely that the relationship between he and his in laws has deteriorated and that in itself affects the children, as well. The children are going to be better off away from the area until their mother is found. And murder has no state line boundaries, so if they decide to charge him they will do so whatever state he happens to be in.

It does not look good for him, but he is a long way from being judged guilty. If you want to complain, go to the law enforcement agencies and tell THEM how you think it should be done!

January 16, 2010 at 12:22 am
  76. cheryl

This will all catch up to him....

January 16, 2010 at 5:01 am
  77. Momamary

Unbelievable that he is allowed to keep the boys! If he did this to his wife what's to happen to his sons? As a mom of 2 teenage boys – life can be challenging some days – whose to say he won't snap with them!! I don't think he should be allowed to leave the state, let alone with his sons!! If something happens to these boys the police should be found guilty for allowing it!

January 16, 2010 at 7:59 am
  78. Rob

If you all want him to stay – then pony up the money for him to either pay his mortgage or pay rent.

Otherwise, do you want him to live in a park with the kids to show support for search efforts?

Do you think that the mom would want her kids living in a tent in a park in the winter – if there was a warm home they could be at?

Sure I think he probably had something to do with his wife's disappearance but apparently there isn't enough proof to charge him with anything and until then – his first priority should be the kids.

January 16, 2010 at 10:53 am
  79. Tara

This guy is the biggest FAKE I've ever seen. It's obvious he killed his wife, why else would he rent a car and drive hundreds of miles away in a day....to make sure they body is where he left it and is hidden enough. Also, if he rented a camp site, isn't there documentation of which site he had and if he actually DID rent one....

January 16, 2010 at 6:28 pm
  80. jennifer

Whay hasn't DCS been involved in this case? He put his children into danger by going out in extreme weather. He thinks this is ok, can't remenber where he was or what day it was. Sounds pretty bi-polar. What types of meds is he on ? The kids aren't in a safe place.If this was not a such publized case the children would be taken away. All it takes is a phone call!!!

January 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm
  81. Grant

why would he go camping to hide his kids from the body ?

January 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm
  82. robin

I agree with the people who said we have no right to judge someone in the media! Look at some of the high profile cases recently–Casey Anthony, for example. Whether you believe in her guilt or innocence, whether you believe her to be a liar or not, she deserves the right to a fair trial. Though I want people that murder children to suffer the harshest punishment available, I do not want them out of a jail on a technicality, until their day in the death chamber comes! I do not know if this man is guilty or innocent because none of us is privy to the evidence that police have. There is no manual to tell anyone how to act after someone goes missing and murdered. Cops are not psychiatrists or mind readers–some people do have flat affects and do not show emotion while others may go into total hysterics. His lack of cooperation bothers me because this woman is the mother of his children–if not for him, then he should do it for the children. I do hope Susan Powell is found soon, and if Mr. Powell is indeed guilty, he should be punished severely. But I will choose to leave it to the justice system and the evidence to convict him, not the media and the public. This barrage of media coverage (I have not seen it as much in this case as others) only taints a potential jury pool. Everyone needs to realize that this could be you or someone in your family living a nightmare of being falsely accused and convicted before even a trial by media speculation and "talking heads", and all because you did not grieve or act accordingly.

January 17, 2010 at 11:08 pm
  83. Guest

Why didn't police follow Josh in that rental car a few days after Susan's disappearance?

January 18, 2010 at 12:55 am
  84. homer

Mike I agree with you. My children were sent home after birth with diaper rash creme. They sell it to millions of people every day. My children when ill would get it. Either from upset tummy or swallowing mucus and it going through their system. My little boy was allergic to most diaper brands and would end up with one. That's just nuts. I heard someone say it was abuse if powder was not used on a baby before. I never used powder because it gets in the childs lungs and never leaves.

January 18, 2010 at 2:56 am
  85. MDLibertarian

I love how the media condemns a man as guilty before he even appears in court. And all the people on here who watch too many lifetime movies don't even give a hoot. Pathetic, really.

January 18, 2010 at 8:40 am
  86. connie

he did it!
    fry the bastard

January 18, 2010 at 11:58 am
  87. Jeannie Werneske

he is guilty bottom line

January 19, 2010 at 9:35 pm
  88. Edmund

It was a Sunday night and Susan and Joshua need to go to work in the am- Joshua goes camping at midnight with the couples' one vehicle and their 2 children. Next day–Susan is missing and Joshua will not say where exacltly he was that night.
    Alfred Hitchcock lives on-I will quote from the detective in "Psycho" –"If it dont jell–it aint aspic"--where are you when we need you Martin Balsam?

January 20, 2010 at 9:07 pm
  89. Edmund

And so–
    We are left to believe that Josh P forgot it was Sunday--and left at 12 midnight into a snow storm with 2 tiny babes–his wife was sleeping or she would have otherwise forbade the outing, or inquired how she might get to work without a vehicle in the am.
    And this forgetfullness continued–he never suspected, nor reflected upon his error, or his work ethic, or his impending destitiution–thanfully for him–his wife never needed to get work anyway!!

it aint aspic

January 20, 2010 at 9:52 pm
  90. Pinawa Angel

What a gutless wonder.Beats and chokes the life out of the one person in life who loved him the most. Daddy must be proud of what he has become.Don't children run off to their parents when they do something wrong?.Don't members of your church surround you with care and compassion in your hour of need? Joshua Powell now lives a life of self conviction while Susan lives among those who will eternily love her. Her voice is loud and clear,Joshua,she speaks to forensic scientists.Try looking into your childs eyes and tell them you love them.It doesn't make sense anymore,does it. Try telling your family members you love them as you burden them with the fallout of a murder you have commited.I bet you take the easy way out with some cold steel on your lips.You are a worthless,gutless,little boy with no one to talk to.Daddy can here you but he is just waiting for you to go away because of the shame you have infected his life with.If you exit this life without virtue and truth,then you will fall deeper into the pit and be amongst the other garbage like you. Susan deserved better than you and a chance to grow old and love many. You are a theif and a murderer. You murdered your wife and stole her duty to love others.

January 22, 2010 at 7:25 pm
  91. elizabeth folkenroth

how comes the cops didn't tell josh to stay in town since he a person of intrested?

February 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm
  92. Jessica Wayman

he's guilty.

February 2, 2010 at 4:18 pm
  93. Edmund

There was no one at the Powell household at midnight 12/6/09 to tell Josh not to go camping at midnight in bad weather–or to tell him it was not Sunday morning!–or to discuss the safety issue-etc etc. or to be concerned about the children or to be concerned about bills or morning daycare.
    I cannot remember a time when I lost a day in this fashion–especially granting a new job-and granting so many hours to reflect upon the date–the time–daily requirements, weekly planning-not to mention financial difficulty and necessity.
    It has been a remarkably bad performance–and should begin to unravel as time goes on.

February 14, 2010 at 9:56 pm
  94. Edmund

Susan's friends and family are a fortress of loyalty and courage and devotion–they deserve all the help they can get–

February 15, 2010 at 12:15 am
  95. Edmund

It unravels a bit –Josh is essentially worthless as a provider–a failed man. He is a wife abuser–he is a coward (from a masculine perspective). It must have been an embarassment for Susan.

February 16, 2010 at 12:47 am
  96. Edmund

Josh takes his lawyers' advice seriously–do not talk-zip it.
    In fact–he cant even tell his sister in private that he is not involved in the murder of his wife. Indeed, he kicks her out of the house–for even asking! Well–we know his loyalty extends to legal advice anyway.

What does all this tell us? Josh has one hell of a problem-(not to mention that he is a wife abuser and a failure). It tells us as well that we should be concerned for the well being of 2 children. It is fairly clear that these are his "axis mundi"-and that if he cant have them–no one will-lets hope otherwise–or that the police will realize it–.

February 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm
  97. Edmund

Geez!!! I hope those neighbors in Washington State dont start dissappearing after overnight campouts!!

February 27, 2010 at 12:51 am
  98. Edmund

I imagine it gets complicated–Josh's lawyer saying keep quiet and all. "And what should I do about all these purple ribbons–should I say thanks? should I tear them down? What should I do?"
    Really –nothing seems natural or spontaneous-I guess one cant simply tell the kids everyone wants to know what happened to mom and everone loves and misses her- huh–what !

I quote–I have a mysterious tale to tell and cannot speak it-the bard would have savored this one–

February 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm
  99. Edmund

Joshuas' statements and actions can be summarized–(since the disappearance of his wife) as follows:
    I love and miss my beautiful wife who has either ran off or been kidnapped–my children miss their beautiful mother whom they are devoted to. Please do not put up signs helping to locate her or remind them of her, please leave us alone, please help us forget about Susan Powell. I take great pride in being a problem solver.

February 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm
  100. Edmund

A lot of my comments still "await moderation" –nobody home I guess.

Anyway–it is march and still no arrest or discovery.

From all of my reading–Josh did not communicate with Susan on Sunday night prior to leaving for the camping outing. No written note–should she wonder where everyone is in the AM!!!!! Enough said-I await moderation. poof–

March 13, 2010 at 9:28 pm