Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

Baby Gabriel’s would-be adoptive mom just arrested!

Tempe, Arizona police have just announced that would-be adoptive parent, Tammi Smith, has been arrested! Tammi Smith and her husband, Jack, were set to adopt 8-month-old Gabriel Johnson in a secret deal with the baby’s mother, Elizabeth Johnson, before Johnson left town on a road trip and baby Gabriel went missing.

Gabriel Johnson / Tammi Smith
Gabriel Johnson / Tammi Smith

Tammi Smith arrested on three charges, including conspiracy to commit custodial interference, custodial interference and forgery, all felonies. Smith will be booked into the Maricopa County Jail on the charges.

Sources tell us cops in unmarked cars arrived at the Smith residence this morning, quietly taking Tammi Smith into custody. The arrest goes down on the heels of the Smiths hiring a high-profile, death penalty attorney. Did the Smiths know all along that cops were building a case against them? And is Jack Smith next? The forgery charge appears to be connected to custody court documents where Elizabeth Johnson allegedly claimed Tammi Smith’s relative, Craig Cherry, could be the biological father of baby Gabriel. Tammi Smith admits she did provide Craig Cherry’s name to Elizabeth Johnson, but claims she’s now told police all she knows about the boy’s disappearance. Investigators still insist the Smiths are withholding information, and that’s why they’ve been named persons of interest in the case.

Post by:
Filed under: Missing Persons
  1. coeurbear

It's such a shame how people act in the World. I just hope & pray that Gabriel is found to be happy, healthy & safe.

February 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm
  2. Lucy from Minneapolis

It's about time this lady is arrested. She co-conspired w/Elizabeth Johnson to get this baby away from his father.

She has been dishonest and deceptive in her responses to the police.

She is hiding things she knows, and it is about time she gets arrested.

Now, hopefully we will get the truth out – as to where this baby is.

February 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm
  3. D.Smith

I hope she get what she deserves...I thought from the beginning that she had something to do with this....I really dont understand how she could sleep at night...she just seems so so fake....

February 2, 2010 at 2:48 pm
  4. jennfier in WV

I think police knew all along they were involved and that that was why the landfill was never searched.They may have been just giving her enough rope to hang herself with all along.Now maybe Gabriel will be found~God willing ALIVE

February 2, 2010 at 3:00 pm
  5. Elly

Wonderful – there is a god after all! This woman is so deep into this and from what I've read, has been involved in baby brokering for quite some time. Too bad she didn't care enough for her own three biological kids. She willingly gave them up - saying she didn't want to care for them - to their biological dad yet she did a crooked adoption to get the daughter she now claims. That child is the daughter of Jack Smith's step-son and she was finagled away from him in hte same manner they tried with Gabriel and his father. Lock these two up for good!

February 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm
  6. Stefanie Johnston

ABOUT TIME!!! The Smiths from day one have never really shown true concern over where the baby is. They were even smiling in some of the interviews. Something just didn't seem right about their demeanor. I think when this is over they will find out they conspired to have him hidden with someone. That is why no one is talking. That is probably why the landfill has never been searched.
    I hope and pray they find Baby Gabriel safe.

February 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm
  7. Brandi

The year 2009 will probably always be remembered as the year that all of those kids went missing. What a sad way to go into history. Halleigh Cummings, Somer Thompson, Gabriel Johnson.... I don't think I'll ever forget these names.

Let's hope that at least one of these ends well

February 2, 2010 at 3:32 pm
  8. stacy muise

This case (of missing gabriel) has me distraught. I have 2 babies of my own (ages 2 and 1) and shudder to think that anyone could disgard a precious angel, like gabriel. The thought of abuse like this turns my stomach and my overdrive maternal instincts want to swoop him up and love beyond love. He deserves a loving and warm home, god bless him. I hope he can be found and provided with such

February 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm
  9. woofwoof

Nancy, get Mr. Smith for an on-air interview and pin him down with many questions about details of the case. Cell phone records, cash transactions, emails, and internet use and watch him fold like a two dollar suit.
    And maybe do a waterboarding.

February 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm
  10. Whitney

This should have been done weekes ago!!! Wether she helped with getting rid of the baby or not!!! She was trying just as much as the mother to get the dad to sign over his rights!!! Many of the things she done is illegal, atleast now she is getting what she deserves! But hold up, how come they want to jump on her case and get her in trouble for all these minor ( i say minor compared to the baby) things, when the mother has all but come out and said she done something to kill the baby or got rid of him?!?!?!? GO FOR HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 2, 2010 at 3:50 pm
  11. R.

Wow. Sounds like the Smiths are as crooked as they come.

Now I'm waiting for Ronald Cummings to be implicated in his daughter's disappearance.

February 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm
  12. Sharon

Please continue to pray for Baby Gabriel!!!
    I hope the police can use this newest arrest to get any more information that may help find this innocent child.
    Wheres Logan?
    Nobody saw that girl on the bus trip and came forward ??? Come on people dont be afraid do something good for this baby and bring peace to all who's hearts have been broke after seeing this story.

We need to raise the tip money
    Nancy can you help start an acct. so the public can contribute to this reward. $5k is not much motivation to get involved (providing they do not have the compassion to help for free). I will donate and others on this blog will too.

Also Nancy - YOU GO GIRL-THANK YOU for All that you do in helping to bring justice and awareness of what happening in this decaying society.

Please Pray for Gabriel!! The power of prayer can be Awesome! and miraculous Keep praying for him !

February 2, 2010 at 4:03 pm
  13. NanaMG

I am so happy to finally see the Smith's dragged into this.
    They gave the mother money and supported her to take the baby away and to give him to someone else. I feel that they set up the whole situation with the mother and the so called human trafficker. I'm just afraid that the baby is in Mexico.

February 2, 2010 at 4:07 pm
  14. Philip Minter

NG dropped the ball when it came to the Smiths. She's usually very tough on folks but it was all sweetness and light when it came to the Smiths. She didn't say a word when they gave non-answers to questions and jumped on anyone who dared criticize them. They were suspicious acting from the get go. Their demeanor was completely atypical, they enjoyed being on camera way too much, and had too many inconsistencies in their story. Wonder who Tammi is going to turn on....

February 2, 2010 at 4:12 pm
  15. Charlee in California

Forgery is a far cry from kidnapping, murder etc etc. I don't know if the Smith's do or don't know anything else about Gabriel, but the Mother does. The mother is the one who is obstructing justice and knows exactly what happened to Gabriel. She is the one they need to keep the pressure on in order to find this baby.

February 2, 2010 at 4:13 pm
  16. Mitch Forster

I told Nancy grace last week that Tammy Smith was involved up to her eyeballs.Further more I also said if you show the witness that said she seen a hispanic couple with the baby the pictures of the hispanic people on Tammys facebook page bet a dollar you will get a match.

February 2, 2010 at 4:19 pm
  17. Frances in Texas

The arrest comes as no surprise. I was wondering when the authorities would get around to charging her with at least, some sort of forgery/fraud in regards to legal paperwork filed for paternity in Arizona. Gee, what is Ms. Smith going to do now that she can't be on tv flapping her gums at the camera? Tammi Smith and her husband are just creepy people.

February 2, 2010 at 4:32 pm
  18. anonymous

Suprise Suprise!(NOT) when the first poly inconclusive I knew something was up. What about they girl they adopted? Was this legal? Or did they manipulate the parents of the daughter also? The photos of Gabriel he appears to me to be drugged., I think there"alledgely" maybe something way more sinister involved with the Smiths. The mom had cash? Who gave it to her? They need to turn all avenues to see what has been going on with the Smiths over many years and they need to find Gabriel. Now maybe they can put the squeeze on them to get a confession on where Gabriel is? Bio Mom needs to take a Poly!! I hope they remove the "adopted" daughter from their custody until they make sure she is safe and everything was legal about her adoption.

February 2, 2010 at 4:38 pm
  19. k

i would donate to the finding of baby gabriel- the smiths were wrong to be underhanded, however, elizabeth is very smart and knew in time the investigation would result in the return of the baby to the dad–which i believe made elizabeths mind up to get rid of the baby, right into a garbage bin-she admitted she is a killer

February 2, 2010 at 4:45 pm
  20. Kalley

I just continue to pray that this baby boy – this angel is still alive and has not been harmed or taken from this world like some of the other angels the world has lost recently. I am still physically ill about beautiful Shaniya Davis. sweet Somer Thompson,,,sadly the list of names goes on and on and on. We have to stop this – ANYONE that hurts a child in ANYWAY needs to be tortured and executed...period.

February 2, 2010 at 5:14 pm
  21. Lil Miss Fallon

It is sad to know that if none of this would have happened to baby Gabriel that this is the kind of people he was going to go to!

February 2, 2010 at 5:19 pm
  22. Philip Minter

Even though I've been critical of Miss Nancy's handling of the Smiths she does do a good service by keeping these cases in the spotlight.

February 2, 2010 at 5:24 pm
  23. kathy

Surprise, surprise!! Everything that has happened in this case smells to high heaven. That horrible ugly "mother", stupid "baby sitter" not reporting about the baby, etc., etc. And these rotten Smiths. All lying scum.
    That so-called "mother" took that poor little baby and did the deed – I thought so all along. Monstrous baby killer. That poor child. That poor little baby. Why did the police take so long – an innocent baby was missing!! What is wrong w/the "justice" system in this country anyway??
    This whole thing makes me sick.

February 2, 2010 at 5:32 pm
  24. Francie W

Wow! I am kind of shocked. I bought these people
    story hook, line and sinker. May be a good sign the baby is alive though and these folks conspired with the mother to sell Gabriel. Hope they find him soon and return him to his bio dad who is remarkedly quiet. How come he has not been on the show? Francie from KY

February 2, 2010 at 5:34 pm
  25. Joyce Brown

Thought all along she was involved. Did they find out from the motel she was last in what was left in the room. Was just wondering if the baby food and formula was left. She could have overdosed the Baby. Sure hope not

February 2, 2010 at 5:58 pm
  26. Joyce

It's about time!!! There was too much in the body language of the Smith's and in the circumstances surrounding their "meeting" Elizabeth Johnson at an airport and offering to take the baby. Who does that without contacting the proper authorities that a mother is trying to dump her child? Only a lunatic.

As much as I admire Nancy for all of her toughness on crime, I think that she fell hook, line and sinker for the Smith's sob story and did not look too deeply into the background of the Smith's.

Knowing that Tammi Smith lost custody of her own children to their father made me suspicious in the first place because it usually has to be something fairly big for a mother to lose custody.

Now, go after Jack Smith. He still knows more than he is saying as evidenced by his body language on last night's Nancy Grace show when he tried to hush Tammi up. Go Law Enforcement. Get these crazies off the street so they cannot victimize anyone else.

February 2, 2010 at 6:09 pm
  27. Shirley

I knew the first time I saw the Smiths on Nancy Grace when Tammi kept bumping her husbands leg like she was trying to keep him from saying something he shouldn't. When she was asked why she kept nudging him she came up with a story about how he talked to much and they were told to keep is short. That might be true but I believe that she was afraid he was about to say something he shouldn't. There was just something about Tammi that I just did not trust what she was saying. I think she wears the pants in the house and her husband does what she says.
    Sorry Nancy, I think you were taken in by this Tammi Smith.

February 2, 2010 at 6:29 pm
  28. Betty Phillips

I have said from the get-go that this woman was so involved with this precious missing child. The mother of this missing child is more than beautiful, however, she has let this Tammie influence her to the umph degree. I only wish the babys mother would let the baby be known on his whereabouts, she could still make a good life for her, she has the smarts and the looks . Lets all pray that she will tell where Baby Gabriel can be found and turn her hard life into a life she can be proud of, I am sure the baby will someday feel he really did have a good mother, but, she could not overcome her hatred for the supposely father. We are praying for a miracle.....Betty

February 2, 2010 at 6:37 pm
  29. Amanda

How come all the pics that are in the motel room, have childrens pics on the night stand????

February 2, 2010 at 6:39 pm
  30. angel r....

Thanx for all the insight to the smiths I live in tucson az and I didn't even hear about tammis backround.wow the smiths r nuts too ha...angel...

February 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm
  31. jennifer

IVE BEEN SAYING FROM THE BEGINNING THAT THE SMITHS WERE IVOLVED IN THIS THEY JUST SEEMED SO FAKE ON TELEVISION WHEN THEY WERE BEING INTERVIEWED. I HOPE THAT WE WILL BE READING SOON THAT THEY FOUND GABRIEL I PRAY EVERYDAY THAT THEY FIND HIM ALIVE. I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD LIL BOY AN I COULDNT IMAGINE MY LIFE WITH OUT HIM I DONT SEE HOW ANYBODY COULD HARM SUCH A BEAUTIFUL INNOCENT CHILD. CHILDREN ARE A BLESSING I THANK GOD EVERY DAY FOR MY LIL BOY. ILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR BABY GABRIEL AN THAT GOD BRINGS THIS PRECIOUS ANGEL HOME SAFE TO HIS FATHER.

February 2, 2010 at 7:06 pm
  32. Starlit

What happened to innocent before proven guilty? Reading all these post you'd think that the people hear are judge, jury, and executioner. Can we look at all the facts before we race to a conclusion. Let the real lawyers and investigators figure that out!

February 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm
  33. stacy

She is weird to take a baby under false adoption, but I believe she doesn't know where this baby is and has said everything she knows. I feel this girl knew the baby would be found with them, so went back on the deal and took matters in her own hands. I don't want to say it, but I think this mother went through with what she told the father. She drove all the way to Florida. That baby could be in any landfill along the way. Why did she go all the way to Florida? So, she could have an easier time fooling authorities on where to look. She could have hid him in bags or something when she left, then dumped him anywhere along the ride to Florida. I pray he is alive and is found safe.

February 2, 2010 at 7:27 pm
  34. DENISE

i just hope someone talks and that baby gabriel is found hopefully alive!!! how can a mother do this to her child. i get mad at my kids (who doesnt from time to time) but i could never hurt them

February 2, 2010 at 8:10 pm
  35. Renee

If you go back to the beginning of the Smith's interviews on Nancy Grace, there were numerous times when they misspoke or stumbled over their words, quickly trying to correct the mistake. I'm not one to condemn people without all the information but having been in Law Enforcement for over 25 years, I kept seeing certain things that were inconsistent. I only hope if they do have more information about the whereabouts of this beautiful liittle boy they stop the game playing and fess up. ONE FINAL NOTE – The very fact that the Smiths were doing this under the wire means there was dishonesty from the beginning so if they are found to be involved, I would not be surprised.

February 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm
  36. William Buckingham

* Nancy ur The best & a great mom.*
    everytbody thats arresed, losers..
    " Where is The kid " this is just so so sad.
    i pray that the kid is ok...
    and i want to thank you so much for ur show.
    ur show is like americas most wanted, the best.
    and i speak for a real lot of people, Thank You, so very much...

February 2, 2010 at 8:29 pm
  37. brittney coon

I highly belive that that the adoptive parents know alot more than what they are telling the police. i myself belive that the mother of gabriel also knows alot more than what she is saying that she knows . i hope and pray that he is found safe ad sound and alive. i hate to think of a baby that small and precious being hurt or killied i am a mother im only 21 and i would never let my child out of my site or anything to think of a mother hurtting a child gets to me so bad.

February 2, 2010 at 8:30 pm
  38. mary kay

Tammi Smith has been suspicious all along- even her husband looks to her for answers. I believe that she had something to do with the people who have Gabriel. I do believe he alive, I pray he is alive. They could have taken him with consent until the Smiths could obtain him leagally or illegally.

God Bless
    Mary Kay

February 2, 2010 at 8:33 pm
  39. justme

I pray that sweet lil baby is still alive...come on nancy..dig and lets find some answers.....I love your show and all that you do to help sweet children by giving so much air time and keeping the stories alive out there........

February 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm
  40. mary

Thank god authorities finally took this women into custody,something about her just did not add up. Hopefully now there they can be a step closer to finding this sweet baby boy. God bless him!

February 2, 2010 at 9:12 pm
  41. carrie

I just hope and pray Gabriel is found alive. I think about these missing children everyday and it makes me sad. I have 2 children of my own, 14 and 19. I would die for them. There are alot of people in this world who should not be able to have children!!

February 2, 2010 at 9:39 pm
  42. Robin Mezansky

I knew that Tammy Smith had a greater involvement than she wanted to reveal. What was she doing visiting the baby's womb provider? Nancy, please stop calling her, "Mommy". Elizabeth is a monster with a functioning womb, but she is not anybody's "Mommy". Tammy will be easy for detectives to break. The woman loves to talk.

February 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm
  43. Karin

Let's blame someone... it makes us all feel so much better.! Tammi Smith should have not given the name of her relative as a possible father of Baby Gabriel, however, I don't believe these people are involved in his disapparence. Unfortunately, well meaning people are often misguided because of their naivity and little thought of consequences ... case in point the church group who tried to rescue the Haitian children and are not charged with kidnapping. Gabriel's mother knows the truth and that's where the police should be looking for answers. Let's not jump to conclusions before we know the whole truth.

February 2, 2010 at 10:32 pm
  44. Yvette

It's about time she knows something i recall i believe it was the 2nd interview they did on the Nancy Grace Show after they were named persons of interest and everytime Nancy addressed a question to Tammy's husband she would cut him off or grab his leg if he started saying something she didnt like and also i recall him say something to the effect that he didnt think Elizabeth(Gabriel's mom) could do something like that and Tammy grabbed his legged and he shut up instantly. I believe they know something

February 3, 2010 at 12:06 am
  45. Kagome D

It`s About time both are in jail! They should been it jail 2 months ago.Not on Nancy`s show getting fame! I hope they will tell where Gabriel is and alive and well? I know Nancy is mad that her guess panelist is lock upped? Now She can`t pump them for information about Baby Gabriel!

February 3, 2010 at 2:29 am
  46. victorious

I need your help. A bad thing happened a few years ago. I talked to the arson investigater and he didnt do a thing. I called a couple of people a couple years ago and talked to a detective and he wouldnt listen to me. A little girl died in a fire, then about 8 months later her brother died in the river behind my house. I just want to talk to someone. PLEASE. I need someone to listen to me. Unfortunately, noone will.....I dont know where to go... I need help. These kids were killed and there is no way for me to prove it..

February 3, 2010 at 3:14 am
  47. judy parks

I have kept up w/ this story from day one.The first time Nancy Grace
    had the Smith's on her show, i could tell they knew a lot they weren't saying.I hope they keep Tammi in jail until she is ready to tell what she knows.I want to believe the baby is alive and well and is given to his dad, the one who deserves him.I don't care if Jack & Tammi Smith & the mother rot in jail.They are so many missing little children &
    very seldom do we hear of one found alive. Same w/ young girls & women also.This is a scary time in our lives.

February 3, 2010 at 3:28 am
  48. Bebe

I knew it!!!!! I felt all along that the Smith's were not telling the truth. Now they have to get Mr. Smith behind bars. Once Mrs. Smith mentioned the "underground" I knew she was involved. These are sick people and it is obvious they DO NOT care at all about this prescious baby. I hope and pray Baby Gabriel is found safe and can be returned to his father (who seems to really care about and love his son).

February 3, 2010 at 6:33 am
  49. stewartde

It sounds like to me, that Tammi Smith's background may not stand up to close scrutiny. If she is indeed involved in illegal adoptions, one rule stands firm follow the money. Illegal babies and those to recruit, transport and relocate them cost big bucks. So do illegal birth certificates and fake judge's orders.

Where do the SMith's get their money? Have a forensic accountant take them apart. It has probably already been done, but it is just a thought.

February 3, 2010 at 9:27 am
  50. MOM0F4

I have thought the Smith's were shady all along! WHY would you WANT the police to investigate you! Esp. if you were innocent & it took focus off of finding baby Gabriel! This woman was always smiling & wanting attention. If this were a child that I loved & esp. if I was trying to adopt, I would have been tore all to pieces not knowing where he was. I don't even know baby Gabriel & my heart breaks over this.

If they know what has happened to him or if they just wanted attention, either way they are bad people. Taking the focus away from finding baby Gabriel should be MAJOR jail time.

I hope & pray that this precious baby is found alive and well. If he is not, may the ones responsible directly & indirectly burn in hell!

February 3, 2010 at 9:48 am
  51. Karen

I think Tammi Smith is guilty of wanting a child so deseperately and interference with custody, but not of the child's disappearance. This mother is calculating and killed the baby. she told the father she killed the baby and that's what has happened.

February 3, 2010 at 9:53 am
  52. kenna

i have been suspicious about the smiths since the get-go...they have inserted themselves into the case like a serial killer hanging around the murder scene to monitor what cops know...and they should have been arrested with attempting to interfere with custodial fathers rights long ago...!

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 am
  53. Frog Prince

Nobody should even try to adopt children, you're better off letting them suffer alone, all you wind up doing is destroying your own life.

February 3, 2010 at 11:14 am
  54. Julie Gelok

I have also been suspicious of The Smiths. I hope they find the baby alive, but I highly doubt it.

February 3, 2010 at 11:42 am
  55. Joyce

A thought for those of you who still think the Smith's are innocent of being in this case up to the eyeballs: Why would they try to adopt a baby with the name Gabriel, when one of Tammi's own children whom she lost custody of is named Gabrielle? For a normal person, wouldn't that be too diificult a reminder to bear every day?

Also, why would Elizabeth tell Tammi on the phone from jail that "they" (the Smith's) did it? They got her into this. I know NG thinks Johnson was just trying to set the Smith's up, but with everything else that doesn't add up on their end, i.e., all the inconsistencies in their statements, I believe there is truth in it.

One other item that really disturbs me is that twice now on the NG show Tammi Smith has alluded to the fact that Johnson is not supposed to be calling cell phones from jail but has somehow managed to call her several times. Why and how, unless she was a will co-conspirator? Wouldn't she just not answer the phone when she saw who was calling. I sure wouldn't answer it if I were in her shoes. If it's really true, why doesn't LE step in and put a stop to these calls.

Going back to the beginning of the case, also, how did the Smith's know which park in San Antonio Johnson went to when they are in AZ? I know they said someone else informed them, but why would they be the ones informed of that fact unless they were setting it up in the first place?

Last item, isn't it just too convenient that Smith's are the ones who put Johnson in touch with the attorney in Nashville who handles adoptions?

Think, people. It doesn't take anything other than common sense to connect the dots in this case. Find out where Johnson got her money and I bet it will eventually trace back to Smith's.

February 3, 2010 at 12:23 pm
  56. Christine

Joyce – the Smiths knowing about the park reminded me of the unsettling statement that Mr Smith made when asked how they knew about the park. He said "its really cool" – because they had people helping them. He said it with such a cheery smile, I felt then that he knew this baby was gone – most likely safe, but never to be seen again. These two know know exactly where Gabriel is and I believe he has been "sold" and is out of the country.

February 3, 2010 at 1:10 pm
  57. Annia

You know, I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I felt from the get go that this husband & wife team had something to do with the child's disappearance. If they do not know where the child is, why else would they filed for adoption? I sure hope this little boy is still alive & back to the father who clearly loves him & not being used as a pawn by his mother selfishness.

February 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm
  58. Reed

Why dont they arrest them for illegally adopting that little girl. I think she (Tammy ) thinks this is a joke or something because of the way she was smiling in the picture of her being lead int the jail with handcuffs on. Why don't they just be HONEST and tell everything they know, people like this should never be around children at all. The three of them (Jack, Tammy, & Elizabeth) make me sick....Pure evil!

February 3, 2010 at 2:23 pm
  59. Tonya

Nancy Grace is a very intelligent woman, she didn't drop the ball on anything! Re: her questioning of the Smith's. She has given all of us a good look at the both of them. They have a strange look in their eye. I would honestly be afraid if I knew they had my child somewhere. The mother obviously didn't care about the baby, but if she knows they have him she should say. Their tactics have already been blackmail with the father. The statement that "she won't bring the baby back unless you sign these papers" came from Tammy Smith. They act like cult members and Oh, don't forget "we just wanted to help". That's a good reason to steal a baby? Get em Nancy!

February 3, 2010 at 2:34 pm
  60. Tonya

Re: 2009 and all of these missing children. Horrible Horrible Horrible. I have learned one thing though, everything I thought I knew about this subject has changed. The women are doing so much of it! The mothers are doing it. I am so glad my mother is not here to see this. She was a real Mom, and spent her life caring for children at home and at work. She would be heartsick. I never thought I would see this going on and it seemed to have started overnight. Has it always been this way or am I just naive? Thank you Nancy for all you do. We all appreciate it.

February 3, 2010 at 2:48 pm
  61. J

this is so obvious she has made it look like she might have killed him so they won't look into the true that she sold him to a baby broker . That would mean she doesn't know where he is for a lie detector test. She wants the bio dad to spin.My gut says he is in Tennessee. The Smiths know where he is.

February 3, 2010 at 3:24 pm
  62. J

Again Thanks Nancy for loving the children

February 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm
  63. Danny

Oh Nancy you are just so amazing. Thank you so much for bringing this story to us. I hope she gets what she deserves. She has seemed so Fake ever since the first interview. Oh and thank you so much for keeping us up to date on how the twins are and how you take care of them. lets us all feel better about our parenting. And here I thought I was a bad parent

February 3, 2010 at 3:53 pm
  64. Pearl0808

This whole thing just boggles my mind. Look at that beautiful little boy. How could his own Mother not want him?? What's worse is that he resembles my own son, who I love more than anyone in the world. I just hope he's somewhere safe and being cared for. It just tears me up that his own Mother won't reveal his whereabouts. How could people be so heartless?

February 3, 2010 at 3:59 pm
  65. Richard

As Mark Klass said: This is human trafficking! I think Elizabeth J. and the Smiths had a plan for Gabriel all along in case something went wrong with their plans. They KNOW where this baby is. Tammi Smith has been out on bail for hours. She is back home.

The Smiths didn't just happen to meet Elizabeth J. at the airport, they were expecting her! They are shameful, just like the so-"called "Mother."
    'Where is the Father? He should be thrilled that Jay J. Armes has offered to help him. The man is amaziing at finding people!

February 3, 2010 at 5:12 pm
  66. Tinsley4

TAMMI SMITH IS OUT ON BAIL!

February 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm
  67. megan featherly

I know Tammi and I truely believe she knows who the people are that picked up the baby. Tammi must have gone to a baby broker and that person found a couple. I'm sure Tammi knows how to find him. BTW, Tammi has been married 5 times, not 4.

February 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm
  68. Tami T.

The members of the Bring Home Gabriel Johnson group are trying to spread awareness and get Gabriel's story and face out to the masses. If you can help, it will take about 5 minutes of your time. Please see the link:

February 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm
  69. Barry Florida

I think the Police should look into several other things.....The Smith's adopted child and When and where and how Elizazbeth Johnson REALLY contacted the Smiths.....I am sure the layover story is a hoax....

February 3, 2010 at 7:30 pm
  70. ben

I hoping,praying for this child safe return to his father,I have a son 2yrs old,cant imagine someone could hurt this child gabriel johnson,my heart is broken for this child,he such a cute boy!!this world is sick with people like that,all she had to do give the baby to his father,police station,fire station,no question ask!!!please god,let this child be alive!!!my prayers for this innocent child!!!

February 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm
  71. Grace

Please will someone offer more reward money so that more people will come forward with information regarding this beautiful baby. If someone has this baby, $5,000 is not going to do it. I'm glad Tammy Smith was arrested; I never trusted her demeanor; she was just too happy to "help." Who was Elizabeth talking on the phone with at the hotel that night. I believe it was Tammy S.

February 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm
  72. pritk

but they came on the TV and the way they were talking like they were very honest couple. and when nancy was asking question someone mention that his wife show sign by moving her leg towards her husband.
    giving his husband the single.
    just not afraid of the system . no fear

i hope the baby Gabriel is OK

February 3, 2010 at 9:49 pm
  73. pritk

nancy u are the best. and GOD bless u and ur family.

February 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm
  74. pritk

i wish there was a system, like olden days where u beat the person and they tell the truth in jail. smith knows where the baby is .
    she is trying to be smart and confident . evil woman, this is not about u this is about the baby. u selfish woman.

February 3, 2010 at 9:55 pm
  75. Janet Carter

Why is the Tammi Smith arrest not being covered on air by Nancy Grace? Is it because she was a frequent guest earlier in the case?

February 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm
  76. Wendy Kwiat

WILL THE NANCY GRACE SHOW INVESTIGATE THE CLAIMS OF TRAVIS WARFORD OF DALLAS THAT THE SMITH'S ILLEGALLY ADOPTED HIS (NOW THEIR?) DAUGHTER? IS THIS A PATTERN WITH THIS COUPLE?

February 3, 2010 at 10:03 pm
  77. MaryA

People who hide children from parents in custody disputes are alive and well on the internet. They are well organized and can provide new identities and "safe houses" for parent and child. They do NOT check to verify that the parent being alienated is truly unfit or guilty of sexual abuse, or any abuse of the child/children. There have been arrests of these "Saviors", but that is rare. I believe E. Johnson may have hooked up with such a network or parties pretending to be such a network. "Safe house" and "documentation" are terms E. Johnson used when communicating with T. Smith. I hope this child is alive and well.

February 3, 2010 at 11:14 pm
  78. Kelly

I for some reason just dont think that Gabriel is dead, I think they gave him to someone.. I could be gullible, but I have been watching this crime stuff since I was preg with my first child almost 8 years ago.. this time, I bet they will find him...

February 4, 2010 at 1:13 am
  79. Hoping in Canada

Who cares about the Smith's – where is baby Gabriel?

All these people that feel they are above the law and will be punished in time, the mommy included, but the main focus for everyone is to hope for a safe return of this innocent child.

February 4, 2010 at 8:39 am
  80. Sandra

It has always struck me whenever I saw this woman and her husband on television with Nancy Grace, how upbeat and happy they seemed to be. If they "loved" this baby so much and they had expected to adopt him, don't you think they would have shown signs of sadness, grief, or even anger? Instead they're upbeat, excited and happy - that's why I've been suspicious of them from the start. That's the way you'd expect them to behave if they got the baby.

February 4, 2010 at 9:06 am
  81. Marilyn Fair

I have thought all along that Mrs. Smith is involved somehow maybe as a baby broker. Too many coincidental connections with San Antonio, Memphis, etc. I think she found someone in San Antonio to buy the baby and she probably collected money for it.

February 4, 2010 at 9:37 am
  82. Jen

I bet little Gabriel was sold to someone desparate to have a baby. He's male, blond and blue-eyed – the demand is highest for these traits. They'll find him, I know it!

February 4, 2010 at 10:07 am
  83. ladyofargonne

These people are intelligent. But not so smart as to lie well. They have come off as manipulative and calculating all along. Smooth, well behaved, rehearsed...lying.

February 4, 2010 at 10:22 am
  84. Tami T.

Please help us with the Online Awareness Campaign for Gabriel Johnson–full email for you to send to contacts at link. Plz RT for Gabe http://ow.ly/13pFz

February 4, 2010 at 10:29 am
  85. Meagan

WHy would she be arrested for! That is awful! SHe was trying to do something good and give that poor boy a chance, which obviously he didnt have with his mom.....How tragic!

February 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm
  86. Melanie

Ron Cummings apparently have some of th emedia fooled. This creep deals in prostution, drug trafficking, marriage of minors and is a junkie to boot. And yet we don't believe he has anything to do with his daughters disappearance?? What the hell? Mark my words, it will be someone related to Ron Cummings criminal wrongdoings that knows exactly the whereabouts of this beautiful baby girl that never stood a chance,. Shame on his Grandparents and biological for not getting these children out of that undesirable and unstable environment. If that was my child or grandchild I would spend everything I had to remove them from those bums.

February 4, 2010 at 12:15 pm
  87. aletheamarinanova

Why hasn't Nancy Grace reported this? She spent the entire hour last night on Haleigh Cummings. Why didn't she discuss the arrest of Tammi Smith???

February 4, 2010 at 12:39 pm
  88. Emile Zola

Innocence, except for prosecutorial misconduct, doesn't need lawyers. If somebody hasn't done any thing wrong, he/she shouldn't be afraid, there is no reason for, but when things don't up and one lie needs another to cover up the first one is when things proved beyond reasonable doubt that somebody is lying and there lies the solution of the case. In court, once you are caught lying, you lose credibility. It's not only logical, but obvious that facts, the truth can't be two. I'm afraid the kid is a goner and that dysfunctional family is the reason for his disappearance and death. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Too many clues are pointing to his untimely death. R.I.P little angel.

February 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm
  89. Sheila Endsley

Amen, Aletha!! I have been asking this question on this blog for 3 days now!! Non-stop coverage of this story and on the day Tammi Smith is arrested, NOT A WORD on the show!! What is up?? I know Nancy seemed sort of "in their corner," but this is NEWS. Her one hour show is certainly long enough to cover more than one story, especially when that one hour shows the same jailhouse interview clips of Misty Croslin again and again and again. I'm a fan, Nancy, but COME ON. Give us a good, in-depth, unbiased update on the Baby Gabriel story TODAY!!

February 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm
  90. Johansen

The police should up the ante. Bear with me here...At some point, the baby should legally be presumed dead. We have an admission of such an act by the mother and we have a baby that is clearly missing for over a month. So, FILE MURDER CHARGES against the mother and the Smiths. I would imagine that after this is done, one of two things will be true: A) Someone will start talking, and give-up the baby's location as they don't want to face a murder rap, or B) We'll know that Gabriel is truly dead (and we'll have the perps in custody).

February 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm
  91. Cheryl

Very well said Joyce. I also wonder why Tammi Smith hasn't been investigated with all the allegations coming out. Its not like NG to leave any stone uncovered. Why in the world would you need to hire ANY lawyer let alone a death penalty lawyer if you were innocent. I wonder how many times the Smiths have done this and gotten away with it until they believed themselves invincible. I too have been waiting to hear more about the Gabriel case and less about the Cummings case. Both are horrible but Gabriel might still have a chance. Call me naive but I believe Ron Cummings is dystunctional but not involved in his daughter's disappearance. His grief is too real along with his willingness to go to jail if he finds the person responsible.

February 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm
  92. aletheamarinanova

I agree with you Cheryl. Haleigh is very important but surely Nancy Grace would have covered the arrest of Tammi Smith. Weird.

February 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm
  93. Johansen

Smith's publicly displayed arrogance will soon come back to haunt her. Soon she'll be facing either a murder or an accessory to murder charge. She actively engaged in activity that directly assisted a mother in murdering her child. When the mother was arrested in Miami, she was loaded with cash. Cash she likely received from Smith.

February 4, 2010 at 1:41 pm
  94. nick

They should leave her alone she was trying do a good thing

February 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm
  95. Donna

I believe Ronald Cummings knows what happened to Haleigh. I watched him on a morning tv show interview say that if he had $35,000.00 he could get Haleigh back. I also heard that mentioned on NG. Hank Croslin told the sheriff that same story.

February 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm
  96. jenn29

NOTE "I would love to be locked up with and spend 5 minutes in a cell or on the pod with baby gabriels mom". How could anyone be so cold to their child and not tell police where that baby might be at? If she did not want her baby she should have just handed him over to his dad.

Nancy can you please give us an update on what is going on in the baby gabriel case.

February 4, 2010 at 3:14 pm
  97. Chenille

I think they should start investigating the banks located between San Antonio and Florida where Elizabeth could have started a "savings account"... maybe in a false name... there was $$$ exchanged in this case either from the Smith's or someone the Smith's knew. They were on television only for their own 15 minutes of fame! Tammi said, "God is with us!" No, God is and should be with Gabriel.....

February 4, 2010 at 6:21 pm
  98. suemarie

I knew all along she was in up to her eyeballs. What I don't understand is why NG has not covered this story???
    Is it because she befriended the Smiths and believed them, so now its embarrassing to cover the story that basically unravels that????
    I'd rather hear what is going with Baby Gabriel right now than watching the trailer trash in jail................

February 4, 2010 at 10:09 pm
  99. Jeanie

What I don't understand is what a handsome guy like Jack Smith possibly see's in Tammi? Look at her.....She's a P-I-G! I don't get it.
    God bless you Gabriel wherever you are.

February 4, 2010 at 10:52 pm
  100. john

when are people going to realize that there is something very the matter when you can procreate easier than you can get a fishing license? haleigh, kayley, gabriel. why were these socially malformed women allowed to take them home from the hospital? read your local papers. children are killed every day by their mothers, their fathers and their mothers' boyfriends. do they think this drama is something that is owed to them? does it not occur to them that a condom could have prevented the whole mess? it all makes a great case for chastity belts to be worn until such time that a child will be assured the nurturing that they deserve.

February 4, 2010 at 11:21 pm
  101. J C

I adore Nancy Grace and all she does to help victims. I love that she shares her story and her twins and photos. I love that she posts photos of those missing and tries to find them. But as a role model...'Take A Listen' is really bad English. 'Listen" is enough. "Listen to this. ANYTHING but 'TAKE A LISTEN' She is a savvy, educated, beautiful, caring wonderful lady...but that phrase isn't correct English.

February 5, 2010 at 8:00 am
  102. Sue

I KNEW IT! From day one I didn't believe these people. They were terrible actors. All they wanted was to get their mugs on the TV. God I hope authorities will find this little boy. Bet the Smiths have a family member who lives out of state hiding this poor little baby! Sure hope the sound of a slamming cell door is one that Susan Smith likes! I KNEW IT!

February 5, 2010 at 8:53 am
  103. Stacy

Oh boy, I bet that Mrs.Smith is fit to be tied wondering what her hubby is going to say now, she is not there to tap his leg and cut him off of any comments. I still say she knows alot more than her husband, she does not tell all to him. that's why she stops him everytime in the interviews.

February 5, 2010 at 9:06 am
  104. C Wenig

Not once has this smug women addressed any concerns about the health of Baby Gabriel. which would lead one to suspect that she knows more than she is telling. Would it not be assumed that if you're willing to adopt a child that you loved it and wanted to raise it with love?
    Not once has this woman or her husband expressed any concerns regarding the welfare of this child. Instead both have remained cocky and smug.
    Shame on them!

February 5, 2010 at 12:10 pm
  105. yankie doodle

for a couple that loved and wanted this baby, they don't seem to devastated at his disappearnce

February 5, 2010 at 12:14 pm
  106. lisamichelle888

i think this woman is just ignorant. i think the mother said she had someone and maybe this woman thought she would get a "cut" helped her take off, kept in touch with her, arranged places to stay but what she doesn't know is that mom fed gabriel baby bottles full of cough syrup and the baby is gone. now she is all smug like she helped the mother get the baby away from the dad and safely "adopted". I hope i'm wrong and the baby is still alive but after those photos with the baby holding the cough meds and looking groggy. i think she just did what she told her ex. and put him in a diaper bag.

February 5, 2010 at 1:16 pm
  107. Bubba

Wait for the facts – I'm no expert on this but it looks as if it would have been better for them to have the baby than its biological mother. Any random stranger would have been better. Lie if necessary, but get the baby away from the crazy woman before it's . . .

. . too late.

February 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm
  108. MJM

Jack Smith handsome?? He's okay and so is Tammi.

I hope the baby is okay. I don't think the baby belongs back with his natural father either.

February 5, 2010 at 3:19 pm
  109. Philip Minter

Sheila, Alethea,
    I raisied some of the same issues you two have but they never got posted. NG was very soft on the Smiths. One show prior to Tammi Smith's arrest had no experts, lawyers, and was basically NG was barely on the show itself, just the full length version of tapes we had seen multiple times already, very unusual. I wish Nancy would actually read some of our comments and pay some respect and attention to her viewers. All there is this rehash of Misty Croslin. She can cover both stories in an hour instead of stretching Misty's babbling for the whole show.

February 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm
  110. pamela

I wondered why they were so involved?? She just talked TOO MUCH.

February 5, 2010 at 5:10 pm
  111. Cristie

Nancy please, get this back on your show. We need to keep this little guy in the limelight so he can be found! Please!

February 5, 2010 at 6:56 pm
  112. laurie m

Tammi Smith is a con artist Everyone has seen thru her Just look at all of the comments

February 5, 2010 at 8:04 pm
  113. Susan

I have followed this story when it broke, in fact, I was in AZ at the time and it was on the news every night. I had a gut feeling that the Smiths were involved. It made me sick to my stomach to see them on NG, getting their 15 minutes of fame. When I saw TS being led to jail...SMILING...it made me even sicker. I am disappointed that no update on this event has appeared on NG. I am a huge fan and watch every night. Nancy, PLEASE give the public an update on this case and keep it alive! According to AZ news, Logan has gone down to San Antonio to help with the search. God bless Baby Gabriel. I pray every night that this little angel is found alive and well.

February 6, 2010 at 3:54 am
  114. JustMe

I don't think Elizabeth ever intended to let the Smiths adopt Gabriel. I think she just used them to retaliate against the baby's father. As soon as the Smith's hired an attorney to help Elizabeth fight for custody, the girl took off with Gabriel. When they were going to help her fight for that child legally she realized she could no longer use them. I doubt the Smiths know were that baby is.

February 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm
  115. sallyann

Ok It is def a hotel room BUT maybe the photographs were placed on the nightstand for some staged photography? He looks clean to me and in different outfits etc.

I think that someone else was taking pictures too and she snapped other with her phone/camera as well?

The lasts one where he is drugged he is wearing a toque. Mothers or others that are going to harm a baby don’t place hats on their heads or change their clothes.

I think he was drugged for a journey/car ride etc. to keep him quiet and Elizabeth snapped a last few pics.

Have they checked the order in which these photos were taken?

February 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm
  116. Tess

Another step closer to finding out what really happened. Hopefully Tammi will become a little bit fearful and be willing to cop a plea.

February 6, 2010 at 11:26 pm
  117. Susan Bryant

has anything new come about in this case since Smith's arrest?

February 7, 2010 at 2:47 am
  118. Julie

This is just a tactic to put pressure on mom to tell the truth. This lady knows nothing about the disappearance. Yes, she was wrong to try to deceive the courts as to the baby's father, but she isn't involved in this mess.

February 7, 2010 at 11:22 am
  119. Debby

I pray every night for Baby Gabriel. God is awesome.If we all pray instead of talking about who did what then maybe he will be found! Pray for his family as they go thru this trying time.God can do miracles!

February 7, 2010 at 7:52 pm
  120. Andrea

This Woman is innocent.Follow up Nancy.

February 7, 2010 at 11:24 pm
  121. Sharon M.

I'm simply astounded by all the adamant opinions, based on nothing more than what's been reported by tabloid media.

February 8, 2010 at 12:19 am
  122. Cbarnes

I hate to point this out cause maybe she did drug her baby... But I was looking through my own daughters photos and I realized in some of them she has the same face the the "drugged" photos of gabrial when really its how she looks when the flash goes off or if I have taken a photo of her just as he wakes up...

February 8, 2010 at 8:23 am
  123. Ron

I live in AZ folks and this case is as embarrassing as it is heart breaking. My biggest fear is that this lunatic of a Mom has a chance of getting off because she simply won't talk. They do not have a body so they can't accuse her of what we ALL know she did. She is insane. Also, Tammie Smith involved herself in something unethical and illegal and now is acting indignant. I am so tired of these heartbreaking stories.

February 8, 2010 at 11:01 am
  124. Joyce

A thought for those of you still convinced that Smith's didn't have their hand in this all along. Johnson took off after the bio dad refused to sign over his parental rights to the Smith's. The Smith's were the ones who called the bio dad (not Johnson) and told him that if he wanted to ever see Gabriel again he would sign the adoption papers. When he refused to sign, lo and behold, Gabriel disappears. Who was doing the extorting here?

February 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm
  125. jasmine

idk....this sound suspect....i think that they know what happen to this child. but it didn't turn out the way they had planned. i dont understand
    whats going on with these mothers, hurting their babies, that they carried for 9 months, if they dont want them give them up for addoption
    there are plenty of people out there, waiting to addopt children that will give them the love that they need.

February 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm
  126. d, brown

The arrest goes down on the heels of the Smiths hiring a high-profile, death penalty attorney. Hmm, makes one wonder...why?

February 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm
  127. Joyce

d brown – I did not know they hired a death penalty attorney. That does make me wonder. In fact, IF Gabriel is dead, the Smith's ought to be charged along with Johnson. After all, they have been in this up to their eyeballs from day one and know way too much about Johnson's doings while she was on the run.

February 8, 2010 at 6:54 pm
  128. Marilyn Stubbert

I knew tammi and her husband knew more than they were letting on to people. My guess is that they were in on it from the beginning. You just don't give your baby to strangers in the park. Do they think we all crawlws out from under a rock.

February 8, 2010 at 9:48 pm
  129. MaryA

Children of the Underground | Dart Center for Journalism & Trauma -

Someone please check out the above. She could have given Gabriel to these people. Maybe he is better off that way.

February 8, 2010 at 10:55 pm
  130. loronda

I say put me in as a cell mate with elizabeth she is young and I donot hear about a mother figure. I think a mother figure is what she is going to trust.I think if she was to talk it is going to be a cell mate that she thinks knows nothin about the case and therefore won't judge her or care about it. Having a mother figure instead of a party friend will open her up. It might sound crazy but of all people that is who she willl start talking to. She will not have fear of a person that has nothin to do with the case or her. She needs someone she thinks will listen to her without judgement

February 9, 2010 at 2:21 am
  131. capri avila

These people are hidding something.. this women has alot of nerve puting down the babys father like she did. If i were him i wouldn't of handled what they tryed to do to him so well. They are low down people and weird..

February 9, 2010 at 10:11 am
  132. angel

This so called mother, and this couple that claims they wanted to adopt this child all need to be put in jail. It sure seems they are hiding on what really happened to this child. As for the mother, execute her. No mercy for her. Lets hope they find this baby but doubtful. So sad.

February 9, 2010 at 12:56 pm
  133. john perez

something stinks and i think its ms. smith she knows more than she's telling the cops. they need to scare her somethings just not right. i hope the father get closer to getting him back alive and ms smith goes to hell she should have contacted the father as soon as she talked to johnson period!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 1:18 pm
  134. Ellie Mae

. I pray for baby Gabriel every day along with all the other missing children, but I have heard the comment as to why would the mother get a sitter if she did'nt care for him, why did'nt she just leave him alone? I can answer that ,if he was alone and started to cry and scream surely someone in that hotel would hear him and call the hotel staff which in turn would call the police.... Don't you think?

February 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm
  135. Liz

About time this woman was arrested. She and her husband knew this child had a father that wanted him. They never seemed to care about what happened to him.

February 9, 2010 at 10:45 pm
  136. colette

please let us know more about the smiths. this has gone on long enough without more to know,and the smith's know. not enough pressure on this so called mother, please let us know more details.

February 10, 2010 at 8:40 am
  137. Jeanne Miller

Place Miss Tammi Smith in general pop., she'll talk if she knows something. It may not be the right type of justice but my God, what is happening to our babies???

February 10, 2010 at 9:17 am
  138. Lippy

I hope and pray that Gabriel will found soon.

As for the Smith's, it is not a "joke" to put another mans name on a paternity documents and present to a courthouse. Tammi should know this, she lost custody of her own children.

Another point I would like to make is that people that are with God, as the Smith's claim constantly come in all forms. Warren Jeffs comes to mind. Need I say more?

February 11, 2010 at 8:50 am
  139. rob

I believe the Smiths know more then what they are saying.

Also did the police in San Antonio test any of the pillows in the hotel room for any Possible DNA or saliva swabs. Also were there any missing bed sheets or blankets as in some cases when a family member kills another family member they will wrap or cover the body in a sheet. Also I would find out the bus route and question the drivers as to whether or not she got onto the bus with a diaper bag or back pack.

February 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm
  140. Lady Silhouette

It's so awful that this happened and it took so long for an arrest to be made. I pray the baby is okay.

March 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm
  141. LOUISIANA

it always seemed suspicious to me that someone who was involved in an illegal adoption would call the police and be on national tv anyway.
    what a strange revelation! never did sound right to me.

April 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm