Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

Missing Girl’s Family Holds Out Hope as Search Heats Up

“Kayleah Wilson's family prays for answers on Easter” reads the headline on The Tribune newspaper in Greeley, Colorado, a city of about 100,000 just 50 miles northeast of Denver.

Twelve-year-old Kayleah’s mother, April, and the missing girl’s grandmother prayed Sunday at The Northern Colorado Cowboy Church in Lucerne. The church holds new meaning to the family. According to reports, just before she vanished, Kayleah, who loves Irish folk music and the library, had told her mom she wanted to attend Easter services there.

Kayleah Wilson / From Facebook.com
Kayleah Wilson / From Facebook.com

Instead, the sixth-grader is the focus of an intense search by about 60 FBI agents and up to 30 local police officials who have been talking to residents and searching abandoned buildings and ponds for clues.

Kayleah was last seen March 28 as she was leaving home for a friend’s birthday party about a mile away.

Over the weekend, strong winds complicated the search by possibly scattering evidence, police said. While there are no specific leads, tips have been coming in from around the country.

Investigators combed a 10-block area they believe she may have crossed on the way to the party in Evans. The trip could have taken Kayleah past cornfields, ditches and behind a lumber yard.

Kayleah is 5’1’’, 145 pounds, with brown eyes and brown hair. When she disappeared she was wearing a white and pink shirt, white tank top, blue jeans, and white and red shoes.

The Weld County Sheriff’s Office issued a news release on Sunday telling local residents how they can help.

“Please check and look along road sides, back roads, fields, dump areas that we all may know about in the county or in the towns or areas you drive to or live near,’’ the statement said.

“If you notice a suspicious odor in an area, see activities in or around abandoned homes or property, or if you happen to see circling birds or gathering predators such as coyotes in or around an area, check it out if it is safe, or contact the local law enforcement agency near you to have it checked out.”

If you have info on the case, call the Greeley Police Department at (970) 350-9600 or the FBI at (800) CALL-FBI.

Post by:
Filed under: Missing Persons
  1. Joanie, Milwaukee, WI

The mother should be put in jail immediately. It's Easter Sunday and the mother lets a twelve-year old walk, alone, a mile – a mile!!!!

Why are so many being children being killed by their parents, usually single and dysfunctional for one reason or another. Two women in particular are treated like stars, publicity, the best defense team and so on. Women need to be taught to wait until the time is right to have children.

April 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm
  2. Melinda

Um Joanie, what the hell! Number one a mile is really not that long, number 2 she is twelve and if you live in a good area most people just dont think that will happen, number 3 the mother did not do this, some pethetic peice of human garbage did. So dont go blaming the mother, blame the person who took her!! He/She is the only person at fault! If it were not for sick humans like this there would not be a problem with letting our children run around and play free.

April 5, 2010 at 4:22 pm
  3. patpat

I hope that this child is found and found safely soon.
    But I also hope that people in this country stop taking every tragic incident that's reported (because of it's rarity and it's scariness as opposed to it's normalcy ) and using it as an excuse to thump their own chests and loudly proclaim that some types of people/parents suck and make it clear that they find themselves trying to see past their own noses in order to find any sort of compassion in regards the situations and choices of others.
    I grew up in the country. A mile is nothing. nothing. I lived in NYC where a mile was also nothing. I don't fault anyone for letting this baby walk alone. I just hope they find her.

April 5, 2010 at 4:24 pm
  4. TonnieGM

Actually, she didn't go missing on Easter Sunday, but on the 28th of March.
    I don't think the mother should go to jail, really. I think she's in enough pain as it is. Walking a mile for a girl that age is, in my opinion, absolutely wrong. But until we learn what's happened to her, I think finding her is where the focus needs to be. Not in punishing a mother who is very likely already paying dearly for her mistake.

April 5, 2010 at 4:44 pm
  5. Protect Our Children

I agree... I have a 12yr old daughter and she isn't allowed to walk that far alone... in fact she goes with a group of kids to and from the bus stop which is only 5 houses down... I rather be over protective than under and risk losing my child... My heart goes out to the family... and I do hope they find her safe!

April 5, 2010 at 4:45 pm
  6. Unknown

Joanie,

I think you should re-read the article. The girl was last seen on March 28th not on Easter Sunday. I think you should apologize to this family, for your harsh comments. Don't be so quick to judge this family. Have you ever had a child missing? Please everyone pray for this family and the return of their daughter, no matter the circumstances.

April 5, 2010 at 4:46 pm
  7. nancy p

totally agrees with joannie, her mother should be in jail ,, a 12 year old walking alone across a bridge,,
    put her mother in jail for neglect

April 5, 2010 at 5:06 pm
  8. Leavelaw

to Joanie, Milwaukee, WI,
    She disappeared before Easter Sunday (as if that had anything to do with it). I do not think the mother needs to be verbally whipped by you. While the mother let her do something she may have considered "safe" up to that point, things can quickly change. Evil people are always seeking out the perfect opportunity to catch someone off guard. They are good at it. They live for it. While I am hoping she is found safe, my feelings tell me she will not be found alive. Terrifying and sad.

April 5, 2010 at 5:12 pm
  9. Suzanne

I went to the Cowboy Church that this missing girl did and we were incvited to brunch by soem cowboys. Ever think that she may have met a cowboy there and hooked up with him at a later date. Obviously they have no problem preying on women new to the church as the waste no time with us. For the record we did not met them. Also has there been any criminals that were put away over the time period between this girl and the one taht went missing in 1984. Possiable someone that got out and that the two cases could be related?

April 5, 2010 at 5:16 pm
  10. Jeff Hunter

It absolutely blows my mind that there exists an opportunistic "creep" around every corner. That fact must attest to just how many predators that are out there in our society........Absolutely mind boggling!!!!!

April 5, 2010 at 6:13 pm
  11. amber, ca

I dont know, a mile isnt that far. But I live in a lot smaller area, 6000 residents vs. 100,000. Plus at 12 years old, a lot of kids start wanting responsibility and walking to a friends is a small budge compared to something. My parents were strict but I was still aloud at the theatre alone once I turned 11. You cant overprotect your kids, but she should have had a cell phone or something on her in case of emergency, the buddy system is always a good way to let your kids have a little freedom but still be safe.

April 5, 2010 at 6:23 pm
  12. Carole

Nancy,
    I get so tired of hearing about these young girls getting kidnapped. Where are the parents why are they not checking on their kids more. It seems like everytime the TV is on there is a child is missing. I blame the parents for not watching their kids closer. Please stress the point of parents not paying closer attention to these children. There is always mace to keep in their hands and show the kids how to use it if they need to. I know that will probably not work we just need the parents to pay closer attention to their children. Also if women are jogging they need to take mace with them for protection. The world is crazy right now and you have to protect yourself in any way that you can.

April 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm
  13. Diane

Isn't this the same girl who was allowed to date a 17 year old? If this is true - SHAME on her parents!

I have a 12 year old and we live in a nice neighborhood. I would NEVER let him walk a mile. Our son is ALWAYS escorted. You never know who your neighbors are or who is lurking in your neighborhood.

April 5, 2010 at 7:20 pm
  14. margo sturts

I have tried for years to get thru and call but never can get thru... Has anyone posed the question that maybe Jesse James has had a vascetomy and never told Sandra because he knew she wanted children. But if he had all this unprotected sex and never got anyone pregnant,, could he have hidden this fact from her... Who would know,,, During the course of his last divorce and Sandra,,, could Jesse have not secretly gotten a vascetomy?? And she had to have been blind,, no one can change a bad boy!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm
  15. HKB

A 12 YEAR OLD SHOULD NOT BE WALKING ANYWHERE ON HER OWN, LET ALONE THE MILE SHE WAS WALKING FROM HER FRIENDS HOUSE. HOW CAN THE PARENTS OF THIS YOUNG GIRL BE SOOO STUPID, DO THEY NOT LOOK OR LISTEN TO THE NEWS, DO THEY HAVE A BRAIN ??? THERE ARE SICK, SICK PEOPLE JUST WAITING FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO COME ACROSS AN UNATTENDED CHILD. THE NEGLIGENCE OF THIS PARENT MAKES ME WANT TO VOMIT!!!!

April 5, 2010 at 7:44 pm
  16. kallie,tn

Nancy Grace is reporting that she was only in the fifth grade. Is she learning disabled? I was 10 when I was in the fifth grade. When I was 12, I was in the 7th grade, which is jr high as opposed to elementary. Was her boyfriend learning disabled? Is that why it didn't seem odd that he was 17? Was he really her boyfriend or was it just a cute friendship? Thinking a mile is a long way for a 12 year old to walk is a statement5 about your on fitness. We are talking about 10 city blocks. Do you understand that in many cities, to be bussed to school, you must li8ve more than a mile and a half from the school. My jr high school walk was 2 blocks less than a mile and a half. I think if school districts across the country think it is fine then believing that her mother should be put in jail makes absolutely no sense.

April 5, 2010 at 8:02 pm
  17. Penny

I feel sorry for this child. I have 8, 9, 13 & 16 year olds & I don't allow any of them outside alone, not even on the front porch. I also will not allow them to go alone to the library, mall, etc. I have no clue what this woman was thinking, apparently she wasn't at all. What doesn't make any sense, is she was walking to meet her friend so they could walk the rest of the way, when she didn't show up, why didn't the friend call the girls house looking for her? The Mom says she didn't
    know her daughter didn't make it until 10pm, even after the careless mistake of allowing this child to walk that far, why didn't she at least want her daughter to call when she got to the party???? Also, to all the people having so much pity for this woman, are you aware she allowed a 17 year old to date her daughter?? That's just sick.

April 5, 2010 at 9:15 pm
  18. PSaylor

Kayleah age 12 is missing which is horrifying for all concerned. I have one comment, is it true this child had a boyfriend age 17? What in heavens name is going on with parents? This 17 yr old may have been a nice boy but putting a 12 yr old little girl in the company of a 17 yr old and his friends puts her and any 12 yr old way out of their league. Please parents, remember 12 yr olds are just that – children!

April 5, 2010 at 10:18 pm
  19. Dee

I'm live in Colorado, about 25 miles from Greeley. I have a son that lives, works & attends classes at UNC in Greeley. He only lives a few blocks from the school but normally drives, if he decides to walk, he calls when he arrives at school or work. There is no safe place for anyone to walk alone in Greeley Colorado..
    With that being said, why in Gods name was there NO AMBER ALERT ISSUED for this poor child??
    No one knew to look for her or that she was missing for days & even now our local news channels have quit covering the story.
    Incompetent parents, nothing new!!!
    What the heck is wrong with the professionals, the Greeley Police Department or the Weld County Sheriffs Dept?????? I hate driving that area if I'm alone & I refuse to drive it at night.
    Here we are a week later and now finding her is a priority!! This little girls life should have been a high priority the same day she was reported missing. The police thought she might have been a runaway so they refused to issue an Amber alert, maybe they shouldn't think!!!!!!!!! Why are our children being hunted, & hurt and why do we not act?? I'll never know. Our family will continue to pray for this child.. Please every one, help find her!!

April 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm
  20. Sharon

I think the police should investigate the employees at the lumber yard. If any of them have bad backgrounds, perhaps one of them kidnapped her. Took her by car/truck to their area of living. In the mile that she walked someone saw her, and be aware of visional sights from all locations in that "mile". Going with the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. But as a mother I hope she is found alive. I will be praying for a good outcome.. Please keep us posted.

April 5, 2010 at 11:18 pm
  21. Why No Gift

I heard a few days ago that this girl did not have a gift with her...only her inhaler! Isn't it customary to take a gift when going to a birthday party? Have things changed THAT much?

I hope the girl whose birthday it was and the one Kayleagh was to meet with and continue on to the party have been checked out. Did the invitation specify "no gifts?" Did the other kids take gifts?

Something makes me think this could be a runaway and I hope I'm right for her sake. I usually am about these things. I don't like the fact she had a 17 year old boyfried and wonder who the agressor was. Some of these young girls today are just awful the way they chase after boys!

It also seems strange to me that I think this party was starting around 9 p.m. I could be mistaken about this but unless it was a "sleepover' that seems awfully late for a party to start, especially for kids this young.

April 5, 2010 at 11:58 pm
  22. Josephine

I am really saddened by this news. First of all, I hope and pray that the 12 year old will be found alive and safe. Second, I do feel for the mother's loss but she must be held accountable on some level. Why on earth couldn't she have dropped her daughter off? It's only 8 blocks away. That's MINUTES of her time and she couldn't do it? Really? Just sad!

April 6, 2010 at 12:07 am
  23. Mariamelia

I'm not a judge to blame the mother for this, but I think that as a mom of two, evenif my daughter were 12, 13 or 14....things are too bad these days,this world is full of sex offenders and criminal, so like someone mentioned, I will not risk the life and security of my kids, even if they are going two houses far from mine. It looks overprotective, maybe, but again, things are getting worst each day. Criminals are looking for their prey every minute,and once they hit our streets, our childs are not safe anymore. I think her mom is going through a lot of pain, and may God gives her comfort, but maybe she trusted the safety of their neighborhood. However, intruders and criminals are loose everywhere. Two days ago I saw a stranger walking by our neighborhood, then he entered our backyard and that was it! We called the police, but he was only adviced to not do not do it again.....and there's a big huge error of our system. I pray this child will be founf safe, I dont want to think the worst scenario.....wich is for some people the one who is going to happen.

April 6, 2010 at 12:13 am
  24. kathy giger

I was watching the show about the missing 12 year old and I was a little upset with marc klaas remark about no one should be let outside unless they have a cell phone......I hate to bust his bubble, not everyone can aford a cell phone for thier 12 years. So keep that in mind

April 6, 2010 at 12:54 am
  25. Marie

I agree with Protect Our Children, It's sad to think that our children can't have the freedom to walk down a street without something happening to them, but at the same time what are parents thinking of letting their children go out alone. It doesn't matter anymore if you live in a good or bad neighborhood . These monsters are out there and until something is done to keep them off the streets, this is going to continue. Parents, be over protective.

April 6, 2010 at 1:58 am
  26. Cindy

I am forty-nine years old now and I remember a time when my best friend and I would walk two miles to school. I would ride my bike from one end of the neighborhood to the other, never considering the fact that we had to look over our shoulders or simply be afraid to be children. It was a better time, a brighter time..even though things like this were happening it simply was not as prevalent as it is now. The bottom line is that a parent should not let a child walk half a block by themselves much less a mile. And trust me I am not putting the blame on the mother here, it is simply our depraved society that needs to make us more wary of everything and everyone. It is a sad thing when our kids cannot be kids any longer, when they cannot be themselves and not live in fear of being abducted..or even worse. It just makes me sick to think that in twenty more years time the world will be in an even bigger mess, not a good thing for the babies that are just taking a glimpse at this ever degrading existence!

April 6, 2010 at 8:19 am
  27. Brenda

Joanie,dear.....learn how to read. She did NOT go missing on Easter Sunday,not sure what day she disappeared is relevant to this case,either.

The mother should not be in jail for letting her daughter walk a mile at 12 years of age either.

April 6, 2010 at 8:23 am
  28. Erika T

What is wrong with people? Do you guys actually read the news. Regardless of what a parent decides with their child, she did nothing criminal. Unfortunately, we live in a day where these predators are everywhere. But how do we let our children grow and develop without smothering them? I do agree that 12 is young but I do not know that child's maturity or the area. It's really not for me to judge. My heart goes out the her family. I cannot imagine what she is going through. Parents are not fortune tellers and we do the best we can. Look at the murder of Cassie Lynn Hansen. She was in church. All we can do is pray, educate our children, and use the best judgement we can. Poor girl.

April 6, 2010 at 9:24 am
  29. Liz

Oh it amazes me how people are now a days. Let's blame the mom, let's arrest her let's make her suffer even more than she already is...blah, blah, blah all those who sit there and say i would never let my kid do this or do that, you are the one that your children are going to sneak behind your back and do even worse things than walking a mile alone. I fear for those children who are secluded from life. Now for the real topic here, she went MISSING!!!!! and no it probably had nothing to do with cowboys, look people stop trying to be investigators and instagators, this family is hurting right now and of all those hurting the most is her mother, I can only imagine all of the thoughts running thru her mind right now and all of the regrets. Stop judging and start thinking.

April 6, 2010 at 9:52 am
  30. Alexa

Do you really believe 12 year olds are locked in the house and don't walk anywhere? A 12 year old can be in 7th grade – that's middle school.

April 6, 2010 at 10:00 am
  31. Kar

Pray for this girl and stop placing blame, and wanting penalties to be enforced upon her mother. A 12 Year old is plenty old enough to walk a mile to attend a birthday party in a neighborhood that is familiar to her and is safe. This is her home and she felt comfortable in it. What is unfortunate is that there is a strong possibility that a predator seized this moment of freedom and complete innocence to betray this trusting girl. Let the community focus on finding her and in the event something evil has happened to her in helping the family cope. Pray for this family and hope that this girl is found.

April 6, 2010 at 10:47 am
  32. asdfgereglkjr

A 12 year old should be able to walk a mile during the day if the neighborhood is relatively safe. It's not like she sent her out in the middle of the night.

April 6, 2010 at 10:59 am
  33. Crysta

Ya know all of you who say a mile isnt that far, you probably have never been to Greeley or lived in that town. I was a College student in that town and was always told at the age of 18 to never walk the streets alone, let alone a 12 yr old. Greeley is scary place, I lived in an apartment in Evans and saw a dead man laying on the road shot by a drug dealer because the sale went bad so..... I dont think it's her mothers fault, but if she lived there for long enough she would know its not safe to let your daughter walk down the street. I pray for her and hope she is found safely.

April 6, 2010 at 11:00 am
  34. dora

thats messed up letting her walk alone. but good lcuk on finding her an i hope u do. BYE!!!!!!!!

April 6, 2010 at 12:09 pm
  35. jovonna

Its not the mothers fault.its these stupid people that likes to get off on kidnapping and other things like that.there are people out there that are in jail that doesnt belong there and also it states in here that she disappeared on the 28th of march.her mother is not to be blamed.she most likely thought it was going to be her child.i am 23 years old now and i always walked by myself for 5 or so miles.but i am a country gal that knows what to do.i always kept something on me so nothing would happen.i am preying that they find that girl alive.

April 6, 2010 at 12:57 pm
  36. PGO

I have to say, in my area, when I was young, I use to walk over a mile to school and into town or to my friends houses. My parents never thought a thing about it... this day & age, I will not let my youngest son (nor his sister before him) even ride his bike alone – let enough walk – and we are in a small, rural area with lots of family & friends that live there – it only takes one freak to take away your whole life. We also have several registered sex offenders in our small town alone – and those are just the ones that have to register. However that being said, this is NOT the parents' fault – there needs to be laws in this country that "scare" people enough to make them go against their own nature to be "monsters" – and I know, for some, that still would not help. My thoughts & prayers go out to this little girl & her family! I hope they find her alive – worse case scenerio, I hope they get closure at least.

April 6, 2010 at 1:17 pm
  37. Judy

How many kids have to go missing and found dead for people to realize they should NOT let their kids walk alone ANYWHERE. Not under any circumstances. I don't care how far it is and how safe they think it is. It is a sad society when we can't let our kids out of our sight anymore. But that's what it has become. Watch your kids and don't let them walk anywhere alone. All the debate over whether a mile is too far for a 12 year old to walk. She's gone, i guess it is too far. Take responsibility for your kids. Don't let predators have a chance to take them. I pray this girl is found alive. Although the chances aren't good. Prayers for the family.

April 6, 2010 at 1:58 pm
  38. cl

poor little girl. i hope she is alright. for those of you who are angered becasue the mom let her 12 yr old walk are ridiculous. what were you doing at 12, ummm probably the same thing. a walk is a walk, wheter its a mile or to the car. anything can happen anywhere due to the amount of people that chose to breed these sickos. leave the mom alone and help her pray that her daughter gets home safely.

April 6, 2010 at 1:58 pm
  39. Bryan

Greeley is a small rural town in northern Colorado, to allow a child to walk a mile out there is no big deal. Things like this unfortunately happen everywhere. The mother is not to blame for the abduction of her little girl, the person that took her is. Children get taken all the time in this country, even from inside homes when the parents are there, so to blame the mother is truly assinine. If you have kids you have to let them have some freedoms, like walking to the friends house a mile away.

April 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm
  40. Kali

First of all she is 12 yrs old!!!!! Walking 1 mile is as simple as walking down the block and turning the corner, how dare anyone say that's to far!!!! Her mother is dealing w/ the anguish and pain of not knowing if her baby is okay and Joanie your saying blame her. Blame yourself, people like you who rush to judgment and place blame ill advised are plain IGNORANT!!!!!! I hope that they Kayleah is safe and healthy, I also pray that her mother stays strong and keeping looking for her baby!!!!1

April 6, 2010 at 3:03 pm
  41. Sad but true

To the family of the missing girl.... I am sorry to hear this sad sad story.
    I pray that you find her alive and safe.
    I don't understand at what point a mother does'nt realize her daughter has a boyfirend???? She is 12 where were you when she had an oppertunity to even see him?
    I have a 13 going on 14 year old son and I do not let him even walk alone where I cannot see him.
    This world is to cruel and unpredictable to let children out where they cannot be seen.
    Not only do I not trust my Kid's to do the right thing I cannot trust the World.
    I pray she is just mad and will come home soon.

April 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm
  42. arlene

Really? You think that these predators weren't around 20 and 30 years ago? Thanks to the invention of the web and satelite TV, you're just hearing about it more and NOW you think that it's not safe for your children 'anymore'. Those creeps have been around for many many years. The children have never been safe on the streets in any town.

April 6, 2010 at 3:16 pm
  43. kathi

I have a twelve year old and wouldn't allow her to walk that far by herself, but that's me. I used to walk all over the place when I was that age and in different towns than the one I lived in, too. People say it's different now, but I had someone offer me money to get me in his van when I was 13 and I ran the rest of the way to my friends house. I also lived down the road from where Jaycee Dugard was kidnapped and have always remembered and thus, always stayed at the bus stop with my daughter until she was on the bus.

April 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm
  44. L. Patterson

I am not saying the mother should be in jail cause I believe right now she is in a living hell. A 12 yr old girl or boy is not safe this day and time. You mentioned she should have been safe in her familiar surroundings, a safe neighborhood? How can you say this is a safe neighborhood, are there really any safe ones anymore? A mile is not that far for a nice walk with your husband, wife, family, a morning jog with a friend but for a 12 yr old little girl alone, it's more like a 50 mile hike. A mistake was made and I pray it will not cost the child her life.

April 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm
  45. holly

WOW what a cruel world. Instead of feeling sorry for the mom we want to put her jail. What is wrong with you people. Find the piece of crap and put him in jail or execute him not the mother. Pull your heads out

April 6, 2010 at 4:19 pm
  46. Sequeoia

My Prayers go out to the Family and I hope they find her safe and out of harm's way.! It's very sad to know that childern or adults can 't walk, jogg or run anywhere safe these days we just have so many sick people these day and you just have to wonder what went so wrong in there life's that makes them want to harm/kill other's it's just very sad and I hope she turns up okay!!

April 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm
  47. Diane

I am 49 & have lived in the country all of my life. When I was younger, my sisters & I used to walk up & down the oil top road we lived on to meet up with other kids who lived in the same small community. We still live here. In 1995 my sister's 2 daughters (ages 13 & 15) were walking on this same road, the one we grew up on, from my grandparents house to their mom's house and they dissappeared. It is like they vanished into thin air. That was 15 years ago & no word from them or about them. Now, I watch my grandchildren closely. If I see a child unattended in a store I make sure that before I take my eyes off of them that they are back with their mom. Please watch your kids. There are monsters that are out there and they blend in with the rest of us and your kids can dissappear in a flash. And the not knowing where they are, if they are in a ditch somewhere or if they need help, is the hardest part. My heart goes out to this mother and this family. I will keep them in my prayers tonight.

April 6, 2010 at 7:04 pm
  48. Marsha

I'm a mother of 4. Age 22 to 11 and am not a "perfect" parent. I let my kids ride their bikes to the library (about a mile) many times both alone and together. I allowed this because I've always felt comfortable letting them go in an area that I have lived my entire 44 years. A story such as this just reminds us all that we need to take extra precautions at all times. I'm really sad for this family. This mom has to be in so much pain. Please don't pass judgement on her but "pray" with her for a safe return of her precious daughter.

April 6, 2010 at 7:17 pm
  49. Milissa

Greeley is not a nice place even for locals. There are predators around every corner men and women,,, Pray for this family.... 12 is really young for the gang and immigrant infested streets of Greeley... I lived there for a while and chose to move because it was getting bad and that was 1991..

April 6, 2010 at 11:32 pm
  50. Kimberly

My kids (13 & 15) do occasionally walk, skate or bike a mile BUT they both have cell phones! I ALWAYS check in with them frequently! But really even at their age I drive them if they are going to parties..friends..etc. If they are out walking or other things they are with each other or friends. Letting your child (ANY AGE) walk a lone with no cell phone these days is CRAZY! This could have been prevented if someone would have walked with her or driven her..I feel so sorry for the mom but I bet if she had it to do all over again..that child would have been driven to this party! Wake up call to parents..TAKE THE TIME TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS!!!!

April 7, 2010 at 2:13 am
  51. Guest/Alabama

A mile is toooo long to let a child walk in this day and age!! This is very sad and really ridiculous. Where was the parental supervision? You can't turn on the news or the radio without some child getting abducting when they just walked a block let alone a mile. A mile?? Wow! I pray that she is found healthy, safe and alive! May God Bless this family and I pray they continue their hope and keep the strength that they need!! I will pray for this child!! Sad Sad world we live in!

April 7, 2010 at 7:44 am
  52. Chris

So many sad, self righteous comments. Maybe we should lock our kids in a museum behind a glass case. Then we can go out in the world and live their lives for them as well. So they can be nice and safe. What a joke!

April 7, 2010 at 11:32 am
  53. Militarymale

The ones that immediately blame the parent i guess you dont let you children do anything regardless of their age unless your present 100% of the time. Well if your not then if anything happens to them your responsible (Really your idiots). If you pay attention to the news children have been taken in their front yards, a block from home, at class get togethers, off buses, and in stores so blaming the mother is a way to lay blame cause you think your better. Just a few seconds of not seeing your child and they could be gone so think about that before you blame a parent. Walking a mile is nothing i use to walk 1 1/2 miles to get to go to river fishing by myself, went hunting by myself, rode bike across town to play at a friends house, or walked to a football game. The problem is that kidnap kids are not immediately excuted there in no plea deal there is no life for them. You all have no idea what this mother and family are going through and you do not have all the facts so i find how you choose to exercise your freedom of speech insulting and i pray you never have to deal with what that mother is cause i would hate to say i told you so.

I protect your right to be disrespectful of others enjoy it, cause i would personally love to see this lady kick you all over. If it was my child and you made that comment you wouldnt see tommorrow.

April 7, 2010 at 12:22 pm
  54. Michelle

A mile!!!! a 12 year old should not have been walking alone anywhere!! The mother should be held responsible for this, i am sorry...

April 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm
  55. worried in Colorado

Come on you guys, give me a break. No Mom wants their 12 year old to date a 17 year old. No where ever did it say this was "allowed" by her mother.

This kid didn't just run away, she had no jacket and din't take anything but an inhaler. Give me a break everyone knows in Colorado you have to be prepared for colder weather. One minute it is 70 and that night it snows several inches. It has snowed here several times since this girl went missing. I don't believe she ran away and now there is another missing girl ~ 50 miles away that the FBI are investigating.

Nancy Grace please help us get this story out and their pictures on the TV.

April 7, 2010 at 5:46 pm
  56. ceci

since i heard about her missing me and my family are praying for her safety and that god will give her family faith that she will be found . lets just pray for this family instaed of say her mom should in jail lets just pray that this bad dream will past fast.lets have faith in JESUSCRIST that he will bring her back safe back home with her love ones.THANK YOU GOD LOVES YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm
  57. Get off your high horse

Erika T~ I agree with you 100%. The trend in these posts seems to be bash the mother. I am not interested in hearing what a phenomenal parent you are and what an idiot this young girl's mother is. Unless you know this family directly you don't know their circumstances. Each parent for the most part does the best they can in their individual situation. Imagine how you would feel if people were attacking you if your child went missing. The majority of you give the human race a bad name. @ What about the Gift.....you are a piece of work. The one point you took from this article was that she did not have a gift????? A lot of children have parties where the parents specifically request that you don't bring a gift. Maybe she already gave it to her??? Stop posting until you grow a brain, please!

April 7, 2010 at 9:56 pm
  58. Greeley Resident

I grew up in Greeley, and it is not that safe of a place, especially the area that Kayleah would've been walking. No 12-year old should have been walking alone there, even if it was just a mile, and the bridge she supposedly had to walk under could be one of the most dangerous places in Greeley. I'm 22 years old and there's no way I would've been walking alone down there. It's also been reported that there are over one hundred sex offenders living in the area Kayleah disappeared from. I don't think it was responsible of this mother to let her walk alone, but I don't know all of this family's circumstances either. I think another mistake this mother made was wait so long to notify police. If Kayleah did not run away, they lost crucial time. I do hope that she is returned home safely though!

April 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm
  59. jackie

I think the mother is to blame. First of all for allowing her daughter to date a 17 year old. Did she forget her child is only 12? I'm from Greeley and that highway she crossed to get to the mall is really busy. And everyone knows(people living in Greeley and Evans) that area is filled with nothing but gang members. So how are you going to let your 12 year old daughter walk over there alone?

April 7, 2010 at 11:33 pm
  60. Miranda

When I lived in Florida and my kids in 4th and 6th grade went to school, the school was 1 mile away. The school did not provide bus service and all kids in our neighborhood walked, and they always had did this. No one was ever kidnapped. Many school areas still do not provide bus service for students who live one mile or less.
    Also the map I saw of the distance between her house and the party indicated 2 miles. That I thought to myself I would never allow. So is it one or two miles?

April 8, 2010 at 2:26 am
  61. Ms P

ceci
    I too I'm praying, daily, for Kayleah's safe return. May the grace of God be with the Wilson family.

April 8, 2010 at 5:31 am
  62. Militarymale

Michelle i guess you will keep your child under lock and key till they are 18....i am impressed that will not allow your child to develop any type of individuality without you watching her 24/7 do you watch her sleep at night to since there have been kids that snuck out and been missing. I guess you dont read those either and would blame the parents for not monitoring or nailing the windows shut. I am sure you have locks on all your windows and doors in house to keep you child safe each night. (Dont have a fire where they may need to get out OMG) hope you dont have children if you do my best wishes to them to develope skills to be independant and social quickly without your constant monitoring.
    I also agree with you 100% on one thing Michelle you are sorry.

April 8, 2010 at 7:17 am
  63. Sharon

First of all I hope the little girl is found unharmed and safe! However, some of you need to proof read what you just typed out before you hit the subutton, you make yourselves look stupid....

April 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm
  64. Vicki

It's really a matter of two things happening in this country: one, we need stricter laws so that sex offenders are not let out. These people CANNOT be rehabilitated. Once you harm or sexually molest a child, you are put away for good...no questioned asked. Two, parents need to realize that there ARE opportunist creeps everywhere. Kids do want freedom, but they also love to be with there friends, so for heaven's sake, implement the buddy system. Even a cell phone does little good if a kid is literally snatched off the street - but an abductor is unlikely to try and take two kids, or separate one from the other. If your kid is going somewhere, they should be with a friend. Period. Stricter laws and parents more vigilant. Then maybe our streets will get safer.

April 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm
  65. ADP

All I can say to the parents who have 14, 15, and 16 year old kids that can't walk a block or even sit on the porch by themselves....PSYCHOS!!! Seriously, there is being overprotective and downright crazy. Your children are going to have to learn independence, how to think and act for themselves and eventually even drive...geez...

Walking a mile during daylight should not be a big deal for any child in middle school or older, of course depending on the neighborhood. No wonder we have a childhood obesity problem! Neighborhoods aren't any less safe now – we just have better access to national news and more cases are reported. If you read the news then you could also come to the conclusion that your child would be safer walking a mile down the streets than attending a church youth group or boy scouts. You can be sensible and protective but geez, you must let kids gain independence and have a life!

April 8, 2010 at 1:50 pm
  66. Rafaella

I believe we have a huge responsibility as parents. It does not matter what neighborhood we are in. We know for a fact that there are a lot of sick people out there and that we need to protect our kids. Don't let them walk by themselves. Its sad but its a reality!!!!

April 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm
  67. Derek Hill

I live in South Greeley. I would NEVER let my child walk alone for a mile in Greeley! Its not an aweful place but there IS crime!

April 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm
  68. kimincali

patpat~I couldn't have said it better! I walk a track that is a mile and a mile is not that far... However~I feel an important point to make.. is this... WITH WHAT THE WORLD HAS BECOME TODAY... we as parents need to take extra precautions to ensure the safety of our Children and Families ie... taking to and picking up our Children from where ever they may going! No matter where it is... I live in a town of maybe 12,000 and I have been dropping/picking up my kids from school, sports, activities, etc. since they were old enough to socialize... as a matter of fact, I am still doing it... they are now 19 and 20 yrs old!! Soon both will get Driver's Licenses THANK GOODNESS... However~if I am paying there cell bills I want to know EXACTLY where/what/when!! Doesn't mean they are safe even today... But I will feel a little peace while they are out learning to be responsible members of society.. :)

April 8, 2010 at 6:25 pm
  69. Treva

After reading the various opinions I notice that most of you keep over looking the fact that she WAS and IS in fact a 12 year old CHILD. Despite whatever neighboor she lived in she still should not have been traveling on foot and alone to a party. In these times there is in fact no such thing as a "good" neighborhood–pedophiles and murderers do not live in segregation or in specific community types, sad to report but they do live amongst me and you as well. The parents made a mistake–it may not have been with neglect that they sent their young daughter traveling alone to a party but looking back I am almost certain that they see otherwise–sometimes as parent we tend to make judgement calls that do not always tend to be the right one–it is just sad in this case that this judgement call has resulted in the disapearance of their 12 year old daughter-Befor you decide to place judgement think about your own self and how many times have you agreed to let your teenage child take the car to school and they ended up getting a ticket? Or maybe you let a friend borrow a favorite dress that they ended up getting a stain on? When you loaned out the car/vehicle I am certain you didn't forsee that their would be consequenses resulting that you couldn't undue-just as the parents did not know that a simple issuance of trust would result in the disapearance of their child–God bless

April 8, 2010 at 8:32 pm
  70. Maria

Did I understand this correctly? That the mother let a 12 year old girl go walking at 9:00pm at night one mile away or more from home to go to a party? Past lumber yards and dark bridges and gang infestations? Near a mall? This is hard to believe!

What I would like is for the Nancy Grace show to take us on a virtual walk by tv show..the same time and place that this took her 9pm walk and let us see what she was seing at that time of night and that same day of the week.

April 8, 2010 at 11:12 pm
  71. shirley

This is one the story that get to me you can never be to careful with kids, this world have some sick people in it I have 12yr old granddaugther and if she vist i,m with her if she go anywhere i don,t trust her safety with nobody .i don,t want nothing to happen on my watch even if go to a dr appt she go the room with me,i don,t leave her in the wiating room never!!!!!!!!!

April 9, 2010 at 6:06 am
  72. shirley

As far the daugther having a boyfriend that 17yr old that on the mother head i would call the police if i saw him in her face to much .stray away from my baby because that what she was .

April 9, 2010 at 6:10 am
  73. sad to read this

I can't believe that some one on here would be more worried as to why the poor young victim didn't have a gift. WTF? My daughter has invited people who couldn't make rent muchless by a gift, doesn't it matter? My daughter is still friends with this girl gift or no gift. I tought my kids to like people for who they are Not what gift you get.

As for the age. Thats a hard one. I have issues about allowing my son of 12 to walk to and from the store less them 3 blocks away. but thats me. 90% of kids walk to school alone or bike. So why is it ok to allow them to walk to school and not ok to let them walk to a friends?

I think all ereas need to be looked into not just jump at the mom or dad or uncle. I do hope they find this young girl I doubt she is safe but i hope they find her before something happends. Its sad that each day our streets are less and less safe.

April 9, 2010 at 7:00 am
  74. LaLa'sMom

I LOVE HOW SOME OF YOU ACCUSE THE RESPOSIBLE PARENTS HERE OF BEING "OVERPROTECTIVE" LIKE IT'S A BAD THING. YES, YOU CAN LET YOUR CHILDREN WALK UNSUPERVISED AND LET YOUR 12 YEAR OLD LEARN INDEPENDENCE BY WANDERING AROUND ALONE, BUT DON'T BE SURPRISED IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO THEM LIKE THIS CHILD. COME ON PEOPLE, IT'S SCARY ENOUGH TO LET YOUR CHILD WALK A MILE IN AN UPSCALED NEIGHBORHOOD, LET ALONE THE ONE IN GREELEY WHERE THE LOCALS EVEN SAY IT IS NOT SAFE. NEVERTHELESS, ITS NO SECRET, THERE ARE PERVERTS, RAPOS, CHOMOS AND MURDERERS EVERYWHERE. I ALWAYS DRIVE MY CHILDREN TO AND FROM EVERY EVENT. THEY ARE WITHIN MY SIGHT AT ALL TIMES. CHELSEA KING WAS KILLED IN A VERY BEAUTIFUL PARK SURROUNDED BY NICE HOMES IN A GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD. CRAP HAPPENS EVERYWHERE. WE ARE NOT IMMUNE. YOU CAN RAISE YOUR KIDS ANYWAY YOU PLEASE, BUT I CHOOSE TO KEEP MINE SAFE AND "OVERPROTECTED.". I PRAY THIS CHILD WILL BE FOUND ALIVE, IF NOT, TAKE HEED & PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN AT ALL COSTS. WAKE UP PARENTS PEOPLE WANT TO KILL YOUR KIDS.

April 9, 2010 at 9:34 am
  75. Erin

As the mother of a twelve year old boy, I know that it is impossible to watch your child EVERY minute of every day!! A mile is not far, and my son probably walks three times that a day, just to hang out with his friends. This is what normal children do! I think what is incredibly sad about this story, is that we are living in a world with some VERY sick individuals! Instead of parents having to keep their children under lock and key to protect them, how about harsher sentencing for sex offenders, and violent predators! How about no parole, no wasting money on probation officers (who didn't help jaycee dugard by the way) and make violent offenders, especially sex offenders spend LIFE in prison, or even DEATH! Then maybe our children will be safe walking the streets, and living normal lives as children should be allowed to do!!!

April 9, 2010 at 1:07 pm
  76. stephanie maxwell

please GOD bring back this young child to her mother. Sweetie i pray for you daily.I pray that you are safe and warm.Your angels are with you all the time.

April 9, 2010 at 8:34 pm
  77. 911 Dispatcher

"I am sure you have locks on all your windows and doors in house to keep you child safe each night. (Dont have a fire where they may need to get out OMG)"-Military Male

Wow...really? My house came equipped with locks on all the windows and doors but I am pretty sure that anyone with half a brain could figure out how to simply unlock the window or door in case of a fire. Seriously...some people just make themselves look like idiots with their comments. Have some common sense before you post something please. Thoughts and Prayers are with the family during this time...it seems that these things are happening all too often now.

April 10, 2010 at 4:06 am
  78. Pinktotz York, pa

The mother should go to jail but they mother shouldnt of let her 12 year old child walk a mile. I hope this girl is found soon and safe !!!!!!! we will prAy for you and your family !!!

April 10, 2010 at 6:38 am
  79. Carol

Losing a child has got to be the most painful experience to have to go through. However, it is 100% irresponsible parenting to allow your child to put themselves in a dangerous situation. I am not trying to victim blame, but one must realize in this day and age that there are predators laying in wait for an "opportunity". We must not give them the opportunity and as a parent we must protect our children.

April 10, 2010 at 8:18 am
  80. Jenn

These parents gave this girl a lot of freedom, and now they're paying the ultimate price for it. I agree with others who said that it's not a big deal to let kids 12+ to walk a few blocks to a friend's house in the middle of the day, but this girl was walking a mile away in (from what I understand from other comments) a not-so-great area. It's been stated that this TWELVE year old little girl was dating a 17 year old boy (someone months from being a legal adult, the age of a senior in highschool). I feel awful for the parents, but it sounds like they haven't been parenting very well. I feel more sorry for this little girl, because it doesn't look too good right now.

April 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm
  81. Angel

The mother did nothing criminal. Shame on you that would judge this grieving mother. She's probably already playing out a million what-if scenarios in her mind. May each of you that have judged her harshly have your noses rubbed in a choice you wish you would have never made. I assure you based on your judging nature alone you are far from winning medals as a parent.

April 10, 2010 at 7:09 pm
  82. Kathy

I live in a suburban part of CO, between Denver and Castle Rock. On one hand, some people think we coddle our children (young adults) by being overprotective, some think we do not protect them enough. I think the parents need to decide when/where/how they are going to go about teaching their young adults about safety. I think the majority of suburban kids totally lack 'streetsmarts', some text while walking through the mall parking lot, totally oblivious to everything around them. I agree that it is odd for most parents to let their kids walk around alone, especially 12 year-olds. I do not agree that the mother needs to be put in jail. I cannot make that judgement based on what I know about the case or the neighborhood. I know I wouldn't let my daughter walk alone – anywhere, especially if she were 12 years old. It is odd that a 12-yr old would have a 17-yr old boyfriend. I cannot think of what the rationale for that could be, except that he really wasn't her 'boyfriend' but just a friend. As a parent, I would be very concerned about a 17-yr old boy who wanted to hang out with my 12-yr old daughter. I would have to step in and tell him to get lost. If he had troble hearing me the first time, the second time I had to tell him would be very, very easy for him to understand. I hope they find Kayleah, regardless of whether her mom should/should not have let her walk alone, regardless of her relationship, if any, with the 17-yr old. The bottom line in all of this is: Kayleah is missing, someone took her. That person is the one ultimately responsible for this. I cannot buy the theory that she ran away. She is a 12-yr old. If she were a little older I might buy that theory, but under the circumstances, I do not believe she ran away.

April 10, 2010 at 8:56 pm
  83. Sarah

The girl was going to a b-day party for crying out loud!Leave the parents out of it. When I was her age I walked much further than a mile. Its not that the parents do not care, its just that there are creeps are out there! How were the parents supposed to know that this would happen?!The person that everyone should be blaming is the creep that took the girl.Yes maybe the parents should have taken some extra precautions, but you can not blame someone for letting their kids have a little freedom. Letting a kid walk a mile at the most is not neglect. Neglecting a child is when the parent does not care where the child is or what they do!Parents just can't keep their kids locked up for all of eternity and expect anything bad not to happen to them. Children are independent. A mile away is not that far away.

April 11, 2010 at 2:50 pm
  84. rebecca

My kids go nowhere alone!

April 11, 2010 at 7:40 pm
  85. teresa, oh

I'm late getting to this story, so if she has been found, sorry.

A line in the article disturbs me: "just before she vanished, Kayleah, who loves Irish folk music and the library, had told her mom she wanted to attend Easter services there. "

Did she have friends that attend there? Did she have NEW friends that attend the church? what made her say that???

In the distance from her friends home/party to her home, would she have had to pass the Church? Where is the church in proximity to her home, how far?

Quit blaming the moms, people. The Dad is the protector. A mile is not a long way on a bike. Lets all pray for her safe return.

April 12, 2010 at 12:38 pm
  86. Toot

I have an 11 yr old that does have a cell phone. I thought it was stupid to get it for her at first but now that she has it I do find peace of mind when she isn't with me but has her phone. Thing is, I am extremely over protective, I still would never let her walk to the end of our street with her phone in hand. Look at Jacee Dugard. Middle of the day, where she was supposed to be and she got snatched. Do I think that my 11 yr old would be able to fend of a creep and call 911?? No! I don't! She would be just as TAKEN with her cell phone. The best I would be able to hope for is that it didn't get turned off. No, these days you CAN'T let kids out alone. Even with a cell.

April 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm
  87. jlee

Parents should be more aware of their children and stop letting them run off somewhere alone. they know that there is a whole world of sicko's s out there.

April 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm
  88. Jenna

It is unfortunate that a child has to pay the price for others. The parent could have walked with her or dropped her off. Is it really hard to take that extra precautionary measure to ensure of your childs safety? However, the parent does pay a price as well knowing how they could have prevented this.

April 12, 2010 at 2:11 pm
  89. Judy

Well said Vicki. That's the problem. We would not have to worry about our kids walking by themselves if the justice system REALLY meant justice.

April 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm
  90. Emily

Penny,
    You dont allow your children to go on the front porch??? Pop it out of their mouth and instead of guarding them from the real world, teach them tactics to survive in it. Someone mentioned carrying mace...stress everyday the importance of NOT talking to strangers no matter how appealing they make it...teach them the right places to hit if they are ever attacked. You gonna keep them in a cell for the rest of their life?

April 12, 2010 at 4:13 pm
  91. me

Penny from way up there,
    YOu have a 16 year old and you don't let them outside alone...even on the porch? I feel bad for your children. You know the first chance they get they are going to rebel right? What are they going to do when they are 18?
    I also can't believe all the terrible comments on here people are making? Really? Speaking poorly of the mother over a mile? A mile is seriously not that far and can be walked in 15 minutes. She could have easily been around the corner or outside of school and the very same thing could have happened. The mile doesn't make a difference. Unless you are like Penny and keep your children tied up in the house all day unless you accompany them, there is always the chance of something like this happened but I firmly believe you can't live like that, to be so paranoid you can't even have a life.

April 12, 2010 at 6:02 pm
  92. peggy

THE FACT THAT KAYLEAH HAD TO CROSS UNDER A BRIDGE OR OVERPASS REALLY SCARES ME.

April 12, 2010 at 6:14 pm
  93. peggy

THE FACT THAT KAYLEAH HAD TO CROSS UNDER A BRIDGE OR OVERPASS REALLY SCARES ME.

April 12, 2010 at 6:18 pm
  94. Ginger315

Firstly, I in no way blame the mother for this tragedy. However, in this day and age NO child under the age of 18 should be walking alone, never ever ever. If I had a teenager daughter or son who had to go a mile, I would either drive them or walk with them. Secondly, until this country gets rid of the the liberal "do-gooder" attitude and gets tough with crime, our streets will not be safe.

April 13, 2010 at 9:07 am
  95. harley883

I live in colorado and something is weird about this case....the cops are either involved or they think something else is going on...they did not look for her...it is said the mom has talked to her...all kinds of rumors...but still no amber alert which is so out of the ordinary....I pray she comes home...but the cops and the mom i think know more than the media

April 13, 2010 at 9:26 am
  96. Missy

I'm sorry but my child isn't walking that far alone. You gotta make sure things like this situation doesn't happen to your own child. somebody said "in good neighborhoods people think things like this dont happen so thats why they let them walk". well hop out of your little enclosed mind and think for a second. this is earth. we are human. and NOWHERE ON EARTH are you safe from humans that act this way. NOWHERE. There are psychos and child rapists/murderers EVERYWHERE. Even in the best neighborhoods. it doesn't matter if you live in beverly hills, malibu, any damn place there are murderers, child molesters, child killers, you have to think that way in order to completely protect your child fom stuff happening to them like this. You gotta think "oh its a gated community? so/ whos to say a child rapist can't HOP A GATE OR FENCE and see my child walking at night alone? oh we have alarms and watchdogs though...so? whos to say a child rapist can't kill the dgs and get past a security system?" gotta think on your toes in order to b the best parent that you can be and keep your child from going the same way this poorlittle girl did. I would NEVER EVER in my right mind let my daughter walk alone in the dark to some damn party past a lumber yard and through some fields n ****. thats insane. I wasn't even allowed to walk to the damn 7-11 two streets down until I was damn 16 yers old. and guess what? im still alive. so think o nthat before you start with that whole bs

April 13, 2010 at 9:32 am
  97. Missy

and the parents is irrsponsible as hell. a 17 year old boyfriend and shes fricken 12? wtf is wrong with people?

April 13, 2010 at 9:35 am
  98. Mom in NH

As a mother of an 11 year old girl – I cannot believe that her mother allowed her to leave home and go a mile alone to a birthday party! Are you crazy??? Times have changed and although it is sad to face the facts – you just CAN'T allow your children to be free roaming anymore! It's a shame we have to be this way just because of the sickos out there but I would rather be overly protective than have that sickening panicked feeling when I realize my child has gone missing or been kidnapped. I don't think her mother should go to jail, I think this will haunt her for the rest of her life but I think people need to wake up and realize that the sickos are out there and waiting for our children to be alone and vulnerable – even in the tiny state of NH – You can never ve too cautious!

April 13, 2010 at 10:28 am
  99. Kaitlyn

I have read some of these comments and WOW. 1st let me say the girl was 12 not 4,6,or even 8, and if u keep ur kids under lock and key they won't know what to do if the situation occurs. 2nd the mom jailed ARE U SERIOUS?! Would you really want to be put in jail when your kid is lost? TO you over bearing parents get your own life! You r going to smother your children and guess what they are goin to leave on their own NOT abucted.I hope the girl is found safely, and back at HOME where she BELONGS.

April 13, 2010 at 10:45 am
  100. Marena

I can't believe You Joanie first off how dare you blame the mother. She was 12 years old and was not going that far.This family is going thru alot as it is back off!!!! Have a heart!

April 13, 2010 at 5:37 pm
  101. ana

well first of all, This poor girl is missing people!!!! Why are you blameing her mother,yes i do agree that maybe she shouldn't be walking alone , i certainly don't let my children walk anywhere alone but we are all different. And blameing her mother won't bring her home. So grow up and look at what's more important praying for her family would be better then critizing. I defenitately think somethings goin on, because it seems like the police department should be doing more, or did more as soon as she was reported missing. I learned she was missing four days after the fact. It was plenty of time for someone to drive far away, without anyone having any knowledge that she was missing. I hope she returns safely i can't imagine the ordeal or mother is goin through.

April 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm
  102. estrella casasnova

if the find the little girl they should stay in jail

thats whats wrong with our legal system to many chances to does whom dont deserve them and then the innocents get hurt
    praying for the lttle girl god bless her if shes in heaven

April 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm
  103. cv

When I was growing up, the rule was you go out and play and come home when the street lights came on. Then again, that was back in the days when you didn't have a child predator around every corner. Now as a mother of a 4-year old, even though I live in the safest city in Michigan, I will still never let my child go off alone- no matter how old she gets. Call me overprotective- I call it being a responsible parent. I love my child more than my own life and I can't believe how anyone could harm a helpless beautiful child. All this violence makes me sick- we need to take a stand as responsible parents and send the message to these creeps that we care and won't let them hurt oiur children!

April 14, 2010 at 11:01 am
  104. Wolf

I live in Colorado, and what bothers me about this case is the slim amount of news that it has produced. When a child goes missing, generally, it's out there everywhere. I have seen one local news item and one brief "she-is-still-missing" blip about this girl. I don't catch Nancy Grace every night because of my schedule, but it seems like even Nancy had info on this case only once. It's far more important, in my opinion, than the story of the Survivor producer and his murdered wife. There needs to be more out there so that people are looking for this child and so that the info might reach someone who knows something. There's been no Amber Alert because it doesn't meet the current criteria, so publicity on the news shows and shows like Nancy's are the only way people can know about it.

April 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm
  105. Tammy

I do have to agree that the mother should have NEVER let this child walk over a mile to a birthday party especially with all this child missing crap going on. I know you cant hold your kids under lock and key and smother them but honestly it would have taken that mother less than five minutes to drive HER child to this party!!! I would rather smoother my kids and protect them in any means possible than to have to be in the situation this mother is in now.
    I would also like to know where the birthday gift or card is? At 12 that is usually the tradition. I dont see much protection from this mother with this child. She is 12 dating a 17 year old? And no she isnt 4,6 or 8 SHE IS 12 NOT 16,17 or 18!!!!!!! I do hope this child is found safe

April 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm
    • Wants Answers

There hasn't been a child reported missing since 1984 in Greeley, CO. Is this true?

May 4, 2010 at 10:31 am
  106. judy leaf

03-14-2010 me,my mama,and best friend was setting and watching nancy grace about haleigh cumming.Well you said that when they had the step mother out there by the water she was pointing well i dont know what you seen or want to see but she never once pointed to the water.If she is guilty it will come out.But,to set up there on that t.v. and judge people you have a low self esteem about yourself.I hope one day you will get happy.God will take care of who dont and bring it to light its not your decision.You have had so many guilty.But thats how you make your ratings off of people who dont have a life.

April 14, 2010 at 7:39 pm
  107. shirley musick

nancy: on your show on 04/15/10 you made a statement about keeping mr. cummings& ms.nevins in your prayers. what about hailghes mother crystal? i think she should've been included also. I'm sad that you as a mother would exclude her. why? that's not like you. thanks! s. musick

April 15, 2010 at 4:29 am
  108. Shauna

What ever happened to taking your kid some place and making sure they got there safely?

April 15, 2010 at 8:18 am
  109. Shauna

And pretty unrealistic cell phone comment by Klaas, I am disappointed. Just because someone has a cell phone doesn't mean it will work, nor will they be able to use it fast enough or around captors if they really get into trouble. A cell phone doesn't make anyone any safer and can't be fully relied upon in an emergency. And even when they've been able to track where people have been with a cell phone, it still hasn't helped them find them.

April 15, 2010 at 8:32 am
  110. Gwen

This is a terrible time for the parents of this young 12 yr. old.
    I don't think the parent should be put in jail, I am sure her guilt of allowing her to walk in the evening and not taking her herself, is punishment enough. I have a few concerns, first the walk in the evening w/o supervision., and the fact that a 12 yr. old is able to have a boyfriend in the first place, especially with a 17 yr. old that has one thing on his mind at that age.The poor child who had to live through whatever she faced or is still facing. My prayers go the the family and the lil girl.
    I only ask that parents use caution with the life of your child. We do live in a society that children are being abducted, raped and killed or sold off to slavery, This is not a movie were watching, but, reality, and it could happen to anyone. No one is safe from the UGLINESS of these twisted perverted criminals. I would rather be safe than sorry...
    I pray for her safety or for closure on this case. Parents learn from others who made the mistake of not thinking at the moment.
    Please think when your child is asking to go somewhere, look at that face and feel what it would feel like if you would never see that face again...That must be the worst pain! Some might think we need to let them breath I agree, I rather them breath safely then stop breathing altogether. Imagine the Fear they feel at the time of when they are being abducted, or whatever the circumstance. So Parents, I know we love our children, we need to guard their life more carefully and never take anything for GRANTED! I pray for all concerned, and I think we should put away these monsters for life and never let them out....There is no Rehabilitation for them...
    God Bless this family and all those who suffer as they!!

April 16, 2010 at 3:09 pm
  111. LLRR

WHY ISN'T NANCY GRACE FOCUSING MORE ON THIS STORY??? It's been WEEKS, for goodness sake! It's crazy to me that this story is not getting more national attention...a girl is MISSING!

April 17, 2010 at 1:27 am
  112. a mother of 3

first i want to say is LEAVE THAT MOTHER ALONE!!!!!! IF IT WASNT FOR THESE SICK TWISTED FREAKS IN THIS WORLD AND OUR LAWS WERE BETTER WE WOULDNT BE PANICING BOUT LETN OUR KIDS TO OUT TO PLAY I SAY KILL ALL THE ONES WHO HURT A CHILD AND THIS WOULDNT BE A MATTER!!!!!! ALL OF U THAT BLAME THAT MOTHER SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF UR SELF!!! AS FOR THAT STUPID DAD THAT HAD TO PUT THAT ABSURED COMMENT ON HERE DUDE LMAO!!! CUSE THEY ARE GOIN TO STAND YOU ON UR HEAD!!!! I PRAY FOR A SAFE RETURN AND MY HEART GOSE OUT TO THIS FAMILY FLORIDA SENDS ALL OF OUR LOVE TO YOU

April 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm
  113. Ann

they,the police,need to focus around the lumber yard.they need to look for 2 men,one who is thin,dark haired,and he was greasy on hands and face,possibly late twenties early thirties ,hair down below the ears . second man is medium built with dirty blonde hair they were drinking .possibly a 3rd man was there but reluctant to get involved.i had a vision the following thursday ,after kayleah went missing .i just layed down to rest and it came to me, images,bursting throw.i don't know but maybe there's something there.there were more images but i can't say,but before i got up, i knew a 12 year old girl was in trouble.no, i didin't see or hear anything about the missing child.not until the friday following thursday when i read about it on my laptop.i don't know but ,it's worth investigating.god bless,,,,,,,,,

April 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm
  114. Wants Answers

Are there any updates on this case?

May 4, 2010 at 10:26 am
  115. Wants Answers

We are all only human. There is no such thing as a perfect parent. Don't be so quick to judge ..everyone has their own issues..period. The bigger issue is that there is a child...a missing child and her family needs our help. God Bless you Kayleah and your family. I hope you are home soon.

I also wanted to point out that I think the way in which "runaways" are handled in every state needs to change. A missing child is a missing child. Children can be very easily persuaded by these disturbed sickos to "runaway". How can that really be determined? "Runaways" are easy targets for predators..they look for children who are vunerable. Shouldn't they be given a investigation or Amber alert the same as other missing children? Is the system helping these predators hunt and target our children? Would there be a decline in runaways if the system changed? Would these predators be less likely to target these runaways?

I have been told that in Colorado you have to be 18 to be able to stay in a shelter..How is this helping the kids?

Just my opinion but would love to hear feedback

May 4, 2010 at 11:05 am
  116. Summer

Are there any updates about this? I live in Denver, CO and I personally find it strange that the news stopped reporting on this case within a few days of it happening. I've been trying to keep myself updated about it but it's hard when no one is even talking about it anymore. Poor girl. I would hope that if any of my children went missing that the police, news, and whoever else would be covering it daily until I had some answers. Let me know if anything new has come up. Or maybe it has and I've just been living under a rock.

May 17, 2010 at 11:15 pm