Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

Police: Missing 2-year-old tot in diaper presumed dead

The search for Sylar Newton has taken many twists and turns. The 2-year-old went missing from his camping tent wearing only a diaper. The boy was sleeping in the same tent with his would-be adoptive mom, his would-be grandma and his future 12-year-old sister. His future brother and his brother's friend in an adjacent tent.

Sylar Newton
Sylar Newton

Police have been conducting an intense search for the toddler by land, air, and water.

Authorities most recently conducted a landfill search sifting through 200 tons of trash.

Now law enforcement has just announced they believe Sylar is dead and are calling the case a criminal investigation.

Police have yet to name any suspects and say all family is cooperating.

With so many other there at the campsite with him, how did a 2-year-old boy just vanish?

Post by:
Filed under: Missing Persons
  1. Maureen Ryan

It sounds to me the boy was killed at another location and brought to the campsite. Also, the step-parents are covering up the alleged kidnapping of the child from the campsite; he was killed prior to the trip to the campsite. A search of the step-parents' residence must be conducted.

August 3, 2010 at 5:16 pm
  2. stacy

Oh my stomach sturns with this. and my heart hurts for this baby and the family. what is this world coming to? Every day there is something on the news about a child or baby missing or being killed, it breaks my heart. Now we hear that yet Another baby has gone missing in the same area? I suggest to all parents, KEEP your babies and kids close to you, I dont care if people think you are being over protective, it seems now days you can't risk not being over protective. Keep your babies and kids close to you and just don't let them out of your site, and as far as camping goes, dont! If you are in a tent , that's not protecting you from any animal or crazy person anyways.

God please bring both these babies home safe and unharmed.

August 3, 2010 at 5:22 pm
  3. teresa, ohio

So the police think this 2 yr. old is dead, but Kyron ISNT dead?
    I wonder what the difference is.

August 3, 2010 at 5:51 pm
  4. tammy justice

I believe the answer is with the other children. Was camp planned? What preperations were made? Was it last min? Did the children see the child awake at campsite? Or told he was sleeping? The ride to campsite. Questions there. The children hold the key.

August 3, 2010 at 6:09 pm
  5. midnight283@verizon.net

Okay ANOTHER 2 year old boy disappears in the same state as Sylar? Wearing only a diaper and a shirt? and no shoes? I find this very odd. Police say the two are not connected but I don't know how they can say this when they don't know what happened to Sylar! Unless they know what happened to hiim and are just not saying. I just find it very suspicious that another 2 year old vanishes in the same place as Sylar and is the same age, sex and is also wearing nothing but a diaper and a pajama top? I don't think it is a coincidence. IF they are not related, this is just creepy!

August 3, 2010 at 6:24 pm
  6. marycarol warrick

The soon to be adoptive mom says she is sooooo worried that styler will freeze during the night, why then was he dressed only in a diaper and put to bed in the tent???

August 3, 2010 at 7:21 pm
  7. Roxanne Fentress

Hello,

Maybe I just don't get it.......... why....why..... would anyone take a 2 year old camping in the wilderness in a tent in the first place?! Children wake up at all different times of day/night and can wander off very easily and open doors, unzip zippers, etc. Not the brightest of choices of either adult. I am not trying to hurt either family as they are going through enough stress and heartache as it is. I pray for the best outcome for each family. I guess my point is....something just doesn't sound right. 2 in the same area? one maybe and tragic by itself, but two? hmmmmm

August 3, 2010 at 7:30 pm
    • Sarah

Are you serious? People take their kids camping all the time and they don't wander off, why do people take their two year old camping? Because it's good for a child to experience activities such as this..not everyone can afford to get a camper. What a ridiculous statement

August 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm
  8. Gina Carreira

I've just returned from camping myself. And I have taken my children camping when they were young. Did they ask the mom if the child could actually unzip the tent (open)? The custodial mother is saying the child was taken while in the tent. As a mother, i would notice the child or someone else trying to unzip the tent. Like i said i just did it recently and i had to do it with the flashlight just to find the zipper beginning....and i still had to struggle at it. I think she's lying, there is no way this missing two year old could do it unnoticed!

August 3, 2010 at 7:30 pm
  9. Karin Kuskis

The police should look at the 2 14yr.old boys. Maybe one of them was jealous and killed the little boy. And now to divert attention the took the second boy. I think they are involved.

August 3, 2010 at 7:31 pm
  10. AJ

Praying that they find these 2 little boys, alive and well!

August 3, 2010 at 7:42 pm
  11. jeremy

I think with 2 kids missing in diapers were taken by a wild animal. Seems ironic how one child comes up missing in a soiled diaper and then week later another child goes missing. Seems to me that it would be enough time for the animal (mountain lion) to get hungry again. I think might be what has happen. If a spider of scorpin had of biten them then i would think authorties would have found them. But in all reality i hope not and hope they are found soon safe.

August 3, 2010 at 7:50 pm
  12. Carmen

I was watching this evenings show and I don't understand how a parent would not appear on the news asking everyone around the country for help in finding these two beautiful boys I know if it were my son I would do anything in my power to find him I would be on every media outlet there is just to find my little boy I would get my son's picture out there every chance I got that's how a parent should be but not everyone is like that my prayers are with them hope they find them soon

August 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm
  13. Eva L. Spangler

Dear Nancy, I just heard about the second 2 year old missing. I have to admit I admire Gloria Aldrige, but I raised 6 kids and have never ever taken a nap. A mommy just don't do that even when they are ill. I admire you very much you tell it like I do very blunt and that is really rare in this day and age. It seems very strange that neither mom nor mom to be are on tv praying for the publics help finding these twp babies. My family will continue to pray both babies are found healthy. May God Bless You and You miracle Family. I and my husband of 39 years have 20 grandkids and 2 great grandkids so we have all of our miracles (except my husbands tumors in his face) but we have great faith and better doctors. Bless You all and love those babies with all you have, God has plans for you all. Thank you for your time to let me vent about people who don't watch their kids like the hawk I am. God Bless you and your husband (and I pray he's as great as mine) and those lovely babies. Take care Eva L. Spangler

August 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm
  14. tiffany swisher

I am horrified that no-one has explored the possibility of blackmail. That one of the mothers immediately refused to talk to the media about her son had me wondering. Especially if its an inside job within the family! Please don't assume that death of the child is a given. It certainly wouldn't be the first time law enforcement has tried to imply death to remove attention from the issue. I wanted to scream at the TV during this discussion! At least consider this an option. It could be that family members are pointing the finger at a RELATIVE who might be involved. You never know.

August 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm
  15. Walter Zdebiak

this may seem a little wierd.........has anyone thought that the second child was taken to divert attention to any person involved in the first case...............

August 3, 2010 at 9:30 pm
  16. Adam R. Hansen

I have a son under 2 years old, I have takein care of him most his life. I swar on it, now I have been forced from my son and daughter. I feel for this story your covering because thats a missing child who needs to be found!

August 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm
  17. Adam R. Hansen

Where are the Good Dads?

August 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm
  18. Becky Loomis

Hi, Nancy,

I usually agree with you, but this time I disagree. I am a great-grandmother but I want to disagree with you about never falling asleep while your toddler is up and about. When my eldest daughter was a toddler and I had let her outside to play within I thought was our secured fenced yard I was preparing for a camping trip and just sat down for a few minutes, I thought, to relax, evidently fell asleep. When I awoke, I looked outside and couldn[t find my daughter. I then discovered that the gate which I thought my toddler couldn't unlock was open. I was completely panicked. My neighbor then saw me and told me that my daughter had wondered into their yard and they had her there. Why they hadn't come over and brought her home, I never even asker them. I was just so happy to find my daughter that I didn't even think of that. All I did was to thank them so much for taking care of her. I just want to explain to you, Nancy, that even though you can't understand how a very concerned mother, which I was, could be so tired and fall asleep and wake and not know where her child is, does happen.

August 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm
  19. Laura Fogle

Dear Nancy,
    In regards to the two missing toddlers, have they looked into the bio fathers? I hear a lot about the mothers, is it possible that they have the same father? They have very similar physical appearances.

Laura :)

August 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm
  20. Adam R. Hansen

I am a big fan of nancy grace, because some of these cases are... hard sometimes to deal with. She does a great job......

August 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm
  21. Debbie

Can someone tell me how to post a missing person or persons
    would appreciate your help

August 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm
  22. Kristi Randall

You have this wonderful opportunity to deliver the facts about the cases you profile, but at times do not. These two young children that are missing, the distance is approximately 32 miles apart, but are you aware of the terrain or the roads? Or if their is a mountain or two between the two points of interest? As for a mother taking a nap, in the afternoon or early in the evening. Do you know of her schedule that day or the day prior? Was she, by chance napping with her child and the child got up before she did? If you are trying to sway public opinion, perhaps you should first collect all the information first. That is what a journalist does, first and foremost – provide the facts.

August 3, 2010 at 11:57 pm
  23. JR

Despite recent events has the police put any focus on the father? And has anyone even thought to check and see if there was a registered sex offender in the area? I think it would be a good idea to start going through the records of the campsites of everyone that registered and stayed there.As for the mom not noticing the child gone that was irresponsible on her part....

August 4, 2010 at 12:55 am
  24. Cassandra

Nancy you are absolutely correct! In response to the pro commenter who posited the suggestion that the mother would be asleep because she was "exhausted" as if that's acceptable when you have little children awake and running around.

For all my years of having young children – I slept when THEY did. and yes, I had a job, as an art director, a demanding job. Ultimately, it took a LONG time before I even let them play unsupervised outside, and even then, it was within view of my kitchen window. And this was much older. Going to the store? Forget about it. They were never allowed to go to the store unsupervised.

I understand being exhausted. But there are some rules you do not break...if you LOVE your kid, you do not sleep while your kids are running around playing...especially outisde.

August 4, 2010 at 2:46 am
  25. Alecia Hawthorne

I have four children that I took camping a lot when they were young. I would let the three older children stay up with their Father and I would take a nap with the baby. The only difference is, I always put a safety pin across the zipper, to keep it shut until I opened it. My child was NOT going to leave the tent without me and no one was going to come in without making enough noise to wake me up.

August 4, 2010 at 3:16 am
  26. Mike

Look at the similarities of the children's features in the pics provided in the story (eye shape, eye color, hair color, teeth, and facial shape.) Could this be a case of mistaken identity in the first kidnapping? Perhaps a "kid-napper" was given a pic of a child to abduct, and took the wrong child the first time, and returned to correct the mistake by taking the second child. Could this be the possibility? That would make this extremely sad.

August 4, 2010 at 3:33 am
  27. Laura

I agree with Mr. Klaas.....the second case is a complete copycat. I mean that not the crime, but the details provided by the mother. A complete lie! There is no way ANY decent mother can sleep that late in the evening with 4 kids running around AND a dog! It's amazing the psychic abilities these "invented kidnappers" have to know when to break into a home, with people inside and a dog that didn't bark! I have children and my two year old could not open the outside doors unassisted plus I locked them. What kind of family would refuse tv assistance in helping find your child? A guilty one! The 911 call was strange also, like someone else was supposed to have called (has someone already called?) The first case is odd as well. That family did something to that baby and someone drove his body away. Why was the bio mom adopting him out? He had a family for goodness sakes! It's frightening how some of the "oddest criminals and mentally challenged" can be getting away with these crimes...hello Croslin family and aforementioned.
    Like Nancy says, BS to all of these!

August 4, 2010 at 7:50 am
  28. Debbie K.

Hi Nancy,
    On the first evening that you began talking about this little guy being taken from a tent while camping...you were very judgmental about the fact that he was even taken camping!
    My daughter has two daughters, ages 5 and 2! They just went camping with both of them! The difference is, my daughter brought along a play pen for her youngest to sleep in!
    Please, try to refrain from making blanket statements like you did with this subject! Our little two year old had a blast while camping!
    Debbie K.

August 4, 2010 at 7:52 am
  29. Sonya

I can't understand how a child could be abducted from a tent with all those people in it. I can't imagin that no one woke up. I am not blaming them but it is just very strange to me. I mean if my daughter breathes the wrong way in her sleep I just out of bed and she is 9 and I still have those instincts. I just can't imagine it.

August 4, 2010 at 8:19 am
  30. Tina Jones

I am hoping someone mentions this on Nancy's show tonight. In many of the pictures of the little boy Sylar I notice that he seems to have bruises on his face in some of them. In one picture it looks as if he has two under his chin area. Maybe this can be addressed at some point because I certainly noticed it.

August 4, 2010 at 9:27 am
  31. mikesdad

I WISH NANCY WOULD CLEAR THIS UP-- my friends in AZ say the first reports on the local news said the toddler was sleeping in the OTHER tent with the two 14 yr old boys who were caring for him overnight. This version of events changed the next day. If this is true it might mean that the adoptive mom wasn't even there when Syler disappeared.

August 4, 2010 at 10:41 am
  32. Julie

I think our best hope now is that the adoptive mother gave Sylar to somebody in an illegal adoption. (Did she create confusion for her family as to which tent Sylar was in the night he disappeared?)

The fact that they impounded the family's cars and were quick to start searching landfills does not look good. Could he have been dumped along the road?

I am still hoping and praying for the little guy.

August 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm
  33. None

I want to know was the tent zipped up when they noticed him missing? Cause I don't know any two year old that would rezip the tent behind themself after leaving it. Also if someone unknown to the family was to take the child out of the tent, would someone not have heard the zipper on the tent? and IF someone took the child out of the tent in a hurry to kidnap him they would not have rezipped the tent while holding the child, the chances of the child waking or someone else waking would be to much.

August 4, 2010 at 12:49 pm
  34. marilyn therrien

In regards to little Kryon Do you think his step-mother sold him? Where did she get the money 350,000.

Do those two mother know each other? Could they have had a pact to do away with there little ones. My prayers are for all the sweet innocent
    children and thank God your voice is so loud and clear for all those who have been silenced. Please continue to do what you do best To be the voice of the Innocent. To bad these little ones didn't have you for a mom

August 4, 2010 at 1:19 pm
  35. Kathleen

Though the odds are against a good outcome, I pray they find Sylar alive. It has been reported that Sylar was in a tent w/ several people, at least w/ 2 adults, if this indeed is true, I find it hard to believe that no one heard anything, whether he was taken by some unknown person or if he just wandered off. Are authorities comfortable w/ this story? Have the authorities found any alcohol at the campsite? Could Sylar been in the tent w/ the 2 teenage boys (instead of the 'custodial mother' & 'grandmother') and some unfortunate accident occurred? Seems there are too many unanswered questions – or the authorities are only providing sketchy information concerning the case.

August 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm
  36. Kim

Hi Nancy,

I have watched your program for awhile now and was not happy with a comment that you made in regards to a mother taking a nap during the day. I am a grandmother of a 2 year old and have taken a nap when my grandson is sleeping. I also have chain locks up high on all the doors that he can not reach. I always make sure all the chains are locked before laying down for a nap. There are times when taking care of a two year old that you can get completely exhausted. I take offense to what you said and think that you need to wait and get all the details on a story before you start putting down someone. I love my grandson as much as you love your twins and just because you never have taken a nap doesn't mean that mothers who do our wrong. For all you know the other children in the household could have been old enough to watch the two year old, but for some reason something went wrong. To say that the mother let the family dog take care of the two-year old was insulting and unjust in my opinion.

August 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm
  37. Maia P

God I hope this doesnt turn out to be some kind of serial kidnapping Zodiac type thing they make a movie about in ten years. Espically with the other boy that has gone missing.

I live in the area where they are both missing and im really worried for all of the children here.

I hope this turns out ok.

August 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm
  38. shelly brackett

i was traveling from nevada to georgia on 7-28. I stopped at a few different truck stops for gas. I chose to stop at these places because they are safer than regular gas stations. Anyway, I stopped at Love's in Oklahoma. I went to the restroom and there was a lady changing a toddlers diaper. I looked right at the child and I am almost 90% sure that this is the same child. He was in a diaper with no shoes. The lady was very calm and nice talking to the toddler.

August 4, 2010 at 5:16 pm
  39. Betty

Small kids can get out. Few yrs ago 2 children suffocated in mom's car while she slept (Colorado.) Climbed on chair to reach door locks. Must have fool proof system – I think mom feels bad enuf without being blamed for going to sleep. Don't know her circumstances....

August 4, 2010 at 7:15 pm
  40. Carol

There should have been a very small lock on the tent where you zip one side to the otherside like the kind on a suitcase. Attach the key to the loop that most tents have on the ceiling. No 2 year old would be able to unzip it and only an adult can reach the key. Child needs to sleep inbetween the adults not by the door. At one time they said syler was sleeping with two 14 year olds. You could drive a mack truck over my 14 year old boy before he wakes up. Taking a young child camping can be safe if common sense is used. My folks took me and I have taken my kids. I use more safety when taking my dogs camping than they did with that little boy. I have a difficult time believing a 2 year old would wander around in the dark outside that time of night. It's very dark out there no street lights .

August 4, 2010 at 7:57 pm
  41. Tobey Rosales

I think that it would be interesting to see what both 14 year old boys have to say. Have they been questioned thoroughly? If the son of the soon to be adoptive mother did do something to Sylar, who do you really think she is going to protect...her own son of course!! If you go back and listen to the 911 recording you can see that the 14 year old boy that came along on the camping trip is the one who calls, he says "My friends mother", but then he stops with what he is saying and then just says "Well, his brother is missing", very confusing, what did he mean by that? Why did he have to mention the mother. All he had to say was, my friends brother is missing! Common, the reality is that the soon to be adoptive mom is going to protect the best interest of her biological son, that's for sure!

August 4, 2010 at 7:59 pm
  42. Fran in Az

The Bio mom, Christina Priem has had previous arrests for disorderly conduct-fighting, prescription only drug violation, false report to law enforcement, as well as several speeding tickets, no insurance or registration and a child passenger restraint violation. She is probably involved. This information is easy to look up. It is public records.

August 4, 2010 at 7:59 pm
  43. Doris Dolin

Nancy, I'm wondering if little Sylar was ever taken with them to the camp gournd! I thnk something happened to the little tyke and the family got up this camping trip as an alabi. Have the police searched the Family HOME? Just my opinion!

August 4, 2010 at 8:00 pm
  44. frances

Let me just say a child is like a diamond a mother doesn't loose one or the oter unless she no longer want's them . For those who can hurt their babies shame on them . Mom's are suppose to love there children give every thing up for them . My boy's are in there thirties . I would tell them if I can't see or hear you , you are to far . Now they use those same words on there children . May the Lord guide and protect you , your hubby and your beautifull twins . Take care . And thak you God for giving us Nancy Grace but especially those who can no longer speak for themselves .

August 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm
  45. Lauren

There is something very fishy here Nancy. What do you think?

August 5, 2010 at 12:29 am
  46. heather

this is such a sad case i know having kids is hard sometimes but having two boys two years a part i have been there i know that if i lived in this area and one toddler goes missing i would keep a real close eye on mine i know at one time they were looking for sex offenders in the area i would be petrified even in my own home i would know where he was at at all times

August 5, 2010 at 12:35 am
  47. heather

why can't these people be given sodium penethol when it comes to kids i think we all need to know the truth

August 5, 2010 at 12:56 am
  48. Kathy

Did anyone think to check in the outdoor toilets, down in the Septic tank for this baby. It's happened before.

August 5, 2010 at 3:14 am
  49. Julie

Well Shelly, I hope you reported what you saw. You can find a number to call right on this website.

Oklahoma? What day? Did you see what kind of car they got into? Did you write down the plate number?

Every minute is a mile ...

August 5, 2010 at 8:32 am
  50. Shirley Edwards

I just can't get past the 2 kids going missing at the same time and so close in location. My feeling is that someone took Sylar (I think the bio dad or family) and then little Emmett was killed as a copycat to make it look as if a pedifile was responsible in order to throw off the police. Crazy idea I know but stranger things have happened. I will pray for these 2 angels and their families.

August 5, 2010 at 12:20 pm
  51. Joanna

Is there a pedophile in the woodpile?

August 5, 2010 at 1:53 pm
  52. Sandy Eady in Georgia

The police presumed the child was dead after interviewing family members who were camping and then searched a dump site. They must have acquired information during the family interiews or interviews with other campers leading them to believe foul play occurred and his poor little body was disposed of in a trash container. They have leads from interviews telling them the child is dead. If credible, those will possibly lead to witness testimony and evidence in a criminal case.

August 5, 2010 at 6:37 pm
  53. MARLENE

THEIR FACES TELL ME, THEY HAD BEEN DRinking!! MAYBE THAT'S WHY THE BABY IS GONE...

August 5, 2010 at 7:42 pm
  54. greynolds

Is it possible that the custodial "mother" used the 2-year-old boy to supply her clean urine tests since she apparently did drugs?

August 5, 2010 at 7:54 pm
  55. Donna Ross

I nderstood on tonite's show that a 14 yr old friend of the adoptive mother's 14 yr old son... tried but failed to call police??? Why not the son first of all? Sure maybe the mother was looking frantically, but to leave it up to a friend to call? Obiviously the call was not made until the camp mgr called police. She didn't even follow upon the 14 yr old boy's call!

August 5, 2010 at 8:00 pm
  56. Martha

It is sadden and painful everytime you hear some news about a baby missing, abuse or dead. As you mentioned tonight this poor baby did not have a chance since birth, no dad, the birth mother has not shown her face, and the "adoptive mom" is questionable. I dont want to sound judgemental but the birth mom new exactly where she was leaving her baby and what the sorroundings were, they knew each other they shared a home, the birth grandma sounds like she is oh so surprised that all of this is happening common you know your children, I am sure that they all knew the circumstances of the placement with this women. How come the birth grandma did not kept the baby, I am a grandmother and I take care of my grandkids for the parents to go to work and any other time that I am needed, sacrifices that we have to make for the welfare of this babies. I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER THEY ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS BABY, SAD VERY SAD.

August 5, 2010 at 8:07 pm
  57. Stephanie

I just read a few of the comments and i see a few people agree with me in regards to the sleeping issue.

Thankyou,because it seems also all the callers you take on your show call you "angel" "i love you nancy" "i agree with you" "god bless you"-

Puh-Leeze-

why arent comments like the ones on here ever taken as a call.I tried calling last night and to no avail-

Plus if i wouldve got through im sure they wouldnt have let me speak since i disagree with you.

I hope your show bombs-if you ant get the facts straight and are so hateful to people who maybe innocent-innocent until proven guilty i USA right?then you dont need to be on TV.

Thankyou if the moderators will post this and my other comment.

August 5, 2010 at 8:09 pm
  58. Deborah Brown

Hi Nancy – There seems to be an awful lot of dysfunction in this family. I am a grandmother and I can tell you that if my daughter were "handing off" my grandchildren for ADOPTION, not just babysitting, but intended permanent placement you can bet I'd be doing all I could to make sure I knew the person who would be raising my grandchild. In fact, I'd probably challenge for custody. But, this biological grandmother seems almost disinterested or at the very least, not aware that her own lack of involvement is odd. The biological mother's role is confusing and the father? Well, who knows. And then when you add the drug pipe in the baby's bag... AND that child protective services didn't do anything? Seriously? They didn't take this child from a non-custodial unrelated woman who is not a legal parent or guardian? Why not? Clearly leaving the child in the custody of a woman who is not a parent, can't produce legal documents or any evidence of adoption proceedings, etc... is not something child protective services should ever do. Everyone needs to be under investigation in this matter – the biological mother who "gives" her baby away, the grandmother who doesn't think that is strange and does nothing to stop it, the absentee father, no grandfather, no legal proceedings, a woman who claims to be adopting the baby but has no paperwork to prove it... this is all just too much. It is so sad for little Syler than no one stepped in to help him find a proper home.

August 5, 2010 at 8:37 pm
  59. Theresa Van Der Hoeven

Nancy; shouldn't the mother be charged with neglect of a child and what ever other charges can be charged. Who in their right mind or in any mind would leave a 2 yr old child with the so called adoptive mother and not leave the child with her mother (the childs paternal grandparent). I am not so sure this was not a set up by both "mothers" if that is what you want to call it.

August 5, 2010 at 8:48 pm
  60. Daniel Simpson

They were all in a tent ,someone had to take him away, kids dont wonder out in the dark ,I wouldnt when i was little.someone yhat was with him knows what happened,,Its allways the children that people want to hurt ,they cant fight back and dont know anybetter but to trust the people that show a little love for them ,when a little love is all theyve had.

August 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm
  61. mikesdad

I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!

I POSTED DAYS AGO THAT THE FIRST REPORTS SAID THAT THE TWO 14 YEAR OLD BOYS WERE BABYSITTING SYLER OVERNIGHT!!!!!!

Now tonight we find out that the "mother" was high and the boys were taking care of the baby overnight. The 14 yr old friend was the one who realized that the baby was missing & HE called the police on his cell phone, not the mother! It looks like the 14 year old friend was the only one concerned about the baby. The brother was probably sick of having to take care of him all the time and didn't keep a close eye on him.

August 5, 2010 at 11:33 pm
  62. SpikedLemon

I have a comment with regards to Slyer, the missing 2 year old, from camping.
    First, camping is very safe, if you do it properly.
    I have taken all 3 of my children camping, well before 2 years old. When really young, I took a playpen with me.
    My husband and myself could not afford to do more, than travel and camp. It was hectic, and kept us, on the move, but, we all loved it. As adults my children know a lot about camping, being in the outdoors! They still all camp, love the outdoors, and have skills, and knowledge of their environment.

I think that he was removed from the tent by his biological mother. He wouldn't make any noise, and would just go to his mother. She could of easily unzipped and zipped up the tent. Also, to be considered, as it's never been mentioned, they could have only zippered the outside/inside, and tied the other layer. That is fairly common to do, but, I never did that. I perferred to be zipped up tight.

August 6, 2010 at 1:14 am
  63. Julie

I was hoping that the "adoptive" mother had sold little Sylar for cash.

Now it seems he was hurt or killed, and she dumped his body. If he died from an overdose of the drugs she had stashed in his backpack, why didn't she get rid of them too. If he died or was injured any other way, why all the lies and coverup?

Was there ever really a suspicious looking person at the camp as she had claimed?

August 6, 2010 at 7:50 am
  64. sandra

There were coflicting reports about little Sylar missing from the campground. Then a few days ago a police statement did say that he was indeed in a seperate tent with the 14 year old and a friend. In the beginning, I read several reports that there were 25, that's alot, of witness's that say they saw Sylar and the family in the evening and many of these people began searching for the boy as soon as the mother found him to be missing. What is very disturbing to me is I also remember in the first report the "mother" said to police there was a latino? man accross from their campsite stareing at them and arguing in spanish on the phone for a good part of the day. He made her nervous and she remembered he was driving a white truck. The report also mentioned the many other campers saw this man but when they woke up to look for Sylar the man and his truck were gone. Why didn't the police put out some kind of amber alert or a sketch of this man so police could a least talk to him right away if all of these people saw him. I'm dumbfounded this doesn't sound like coincidence that he packed up his camping stuff and left in the middle of the night at the same time this little one goes missing.

August 6, 2010 at 12:51 pm
  65. Justme

The two kids that are missing are NOT in the same area! Arizona is a LARGE state. They happened over 50 miles apart. The second child sadly was found dead Wed in a wash a mile from his home.

August 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm
  66. Shannon

Ok people....families camp ALL THE TIME!!! There is nothing wrong with camping with little kids. Do you drive your child around in your car? Do some stats checking and see how many children die while camping as opposed to car accidents. Go to a state campground and count the number of little heads there having fun camping. It is a safe and fun activity. Bad things happen EVERYWHERE! This little boy missing has nothing to do with 'unsafe' behavior...its criminal. Clearly the people posting about 'crazy people' or 'wild animals' have never camped anywhere let alone a state park. And, how about all the homeless families wth children sleeping on the street or in tents???!!!! Would it be their fault because they are poor? Come on people, get real!

August 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm
  67. Shannon

Just a follow up. My sister and her daughter and going camping this weekend. They are taking with them my 2 great- nieces ages 2 and 3. I assure you they will be as safe there as they would be at home camping in their backard. Reason being...nobody in our family will harm them as is what happened with Sylar.

August 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm
  68. Debbi Lambert

Something just isnt right with this story. As a seasoned camper I can tell you that there is no way that baby could have unzipped that tent by himself. Tents have a tendency to sag at bight especailly bt the zipper as they have dew on them and it makes it very difficult for an adult to open the tent also most campgrounds are almost pitch black so if he did manage to get out he couldnt have wandered far I just pray the the police are not overlooking any small detail that could give us some answers to this horrible incident. Also if all those people where supposedly in one tent someone had to have heard him moving around as there isnt much room even in a large tent . with that many people in one tent He almsot had to have crawled over someone.

August 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm
  69. katie

first off to the people that are so shocked that someone would go camping that is crazy. That is a good family thing to do with kids you just have to keep a close eye on them no different then being in the city.theres actully more danger in the city then the country . the poor little boy just had parents that dont know how to be proper parents and i think that the family had somthing to do with it. ive been camping many times and a mother would no if someone came in the tent that is for sure. God bless you syler hope you come home safe

August 6, 2010 at 7:04 pm
  70. Erin

...killed in another location and transported to the campsite...

No. Testimony of other campers in the area support the fact that Sylar was alive that day. No one other than family saw him after 9:00pm.

...the answer is with the other children...

Very good observation. This will not have escaped the attention of YCSO.

...two boys disappear from the same place - related?...

Both were in Arizona, but check a map. Arizona is a really big place. These two situations occurred more than 40 miles apart, and certainly not in the "same place." There are few real similarities between the cases. 2 year old boys, Arizona, diapers. That's about it, but most 2 year old boys wear diapers, don't they? The timing is coincidental.

...seems to me that it would be enough time for the animal (mountain lion) to get hungry again...

Except that there was no mountain lion involved in either case, you might be right. There are lion in the area Sylar went missing, but few to none in rural Dewey. Wrong terrain. Anyway, Emmett was found and he had not been attacked by an animal. It is very highly doubtful that Sylar tangled with an animal, either. At least not a wild one.

...the children hold the key...

I'll buy that.

August 7, 2010 at 1:24 am
  71. Erin

Mikesdad...

The original story was that Sylar was sleeping in the other tent with the boys, and that he got out and disappeared. The story changed after about 2 days. But then much of the story changed with time. At some point mom even suggested that they were being watched all day by a "mexican guy" with a cell phone. Nonsense. Standing in the middle of this campsite, you can only see for 50 or 60 feet in any direction due to dense cover. A lurker would have been noticed by other campers and by the camp hosts who occupied the very next campsite.

Detectives are all over this case. The adoptive mom was there at the time, given best information, as was grandma.

August 7, 2010 at 10:25 am
  72. Ticia

I don't get why you people think that just because some one has a toddler means you can't have a life!!! So, in other words...you need to lock them up so they are safe?! We can't go camping because they'll get lose and never find them again...You people are horrible! it's ok for you to do it, but when someone else's child gets hurt or lost...they are the world's worst parent. Shame on you!!!!!

August 7, 2010 at 3:24 pm
  73. Sandra

Shelly Brackett, You said you were 90o/o sure that you saw little Syler in a truck stop bathroom in Oklahoma on 7/28. I hope you told someone. They might likely have some video surveilance. Did you report this? Take a pic with your cell phone, get a license # or description of the vehicle? Every one should travel with their eyes open with children going missing on what seems to be a daily basis. Report it Even if you're not 100 0/0 sure.. This lady would only loose a bit of her time if she did nothing wrong and should be understanding of how a mother would feel if her own child was missing.

August 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm
  74. Mary S

Nancy,

This may be a moot observation but it has been bugging me for several months now. The photo presented by the step-mom as Kyron's last day at school said that he had a blue CSI shirt on. The picture I saw on TV made the shirt look black. The FBI poster shows the CSI shirt as a medium blue. Is the last day picture and the picture on the poster the same or different days?

From Jekyll Island, GA
    Mary S.

August 7, 2010 at 5:04 pm
  75. Angela G

I want to know if anyone has considered the fact that while camping there would be a camp fire. It would still have burning embers at the time he left the tent (unless they put water on it) Would a toddler not go towards a light source when out in the dark? Very good likely hood that the child would touch the embers, the idea that a child would do this with out making a sound and disappear is mind boggling.

August 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm
  76. michelle

is the babby whos mom gave him up if so where is the brith mom at has someone talked to her yet. And i take nap to when have babby sit becuse sometime i have them for a week at a tim but my doors are looked too at all time.

August 7, 2010 at 10:00 pm
  77. Brenda

To Shelly Bracket:

If this is true and you really believed that did you call the cops ? did you do anything to help ? Making a remark like that will surely get you problems at ur doorstep if not true

August 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm
  78. NY

Here is what I believed happened..
    Lately drugs and so-called parents has been of lately = missing abused or sold children.
    The mother-to-be planned the camping trip so no one in her area could ID person/s she gave/sold the baby to using the woods and the cover of night.
    This why no scent can be found it as the scent drops off because that child was picked up and put into a car.
    This why she planned a camping trip with a 2 yr old?? What fun could a camping trip be for a 2 yr old when you really think about it.

August 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm
  79. nancy from alabama

hi nancy ;just wanted you to look at you asked the grandmother if her or her daughter (bio. mother)knew that they were handing the baby over to someone (cust. mother),who does drugs.her response was no we did not know but i think if you look at it .the bio.mom lived with cust. mom 4 a while so she proablly does drugs too(maybe even with the cust. mom. and most mothers(grandmom of sylar)had some ideal n at some point in the bio. mom life i bet she even told her daughter (bio.mom) before to quite doing that shit. so i think the bio. mom knew the cust. mom was doing it . n sadly the grandmother proablly had a thought she did cuz her daughter proablly does.most people who do drugs hang w/ others who do drugs.

August 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm
  80. Cynthia Williams

Are we really sure the baby was truly at the campsite in the first place? Suppose this is all a fabrication to cover up something else?

August 8, 2010 at 9:36 pm
  81. sally hagar

i would say in what we have found out so far about all the fake adoption stuff maybe,j ust maybe there should be DNA testing done on her 14 year old daughter maybe she is not hers either. I really hope some one thinks about that like the feds?

August 8, 2010 at 10:25 pm
  82. in the know

Irregardless of which tent Sylar was sleeping in, the "mother" and grandmother were not exhausted as they say, more like stoned on pot and/or zombied out due to the grandmother's methadone as well as her stash of prescription medication that her and her daughters popped like candy and traded or stole from somebody. anybody in flagstaff that knows this family will tell you the same thing. Chances are they were not even sleeping as they claim. How else can they explain being asleep at midnite but awake at 1:30? The truth MIGHT set you free. (but I doubt it in this case)

August 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm
  83. Lisa

God what is wrong with parents!!! Was the foster mom tested for being under the influence when police arrived?, They say they found drugs in Skylars back-pack, could he have accidently ingested some and they staged a kidnapping to cover up?

August 9, 2010 at 3:28 pm
  84. Pat

Have the youngster that he was supposedly was sleeping with. And have they check out the fire pit that was available at the campsite?????

August 9, 2010 at 4:46 pm
  85. Kris

Why didn't Sylar's mom leave him with her mom,Sylar's grandma?

August 9, 2010 at 8:31 pm
  86. kimberey gushen

To all I've read about mothers falling asleep with a little one well it happened to me..I took a nap with my son back in 1998 he was 3 years old..well he woke before me and went downstairs to play where we had the play room...still not for sure but woke to the house on fire lost my baby will never forgive myself to this day..still not sure how it started but really think he started it he was amazed by fire..no matter how much we said hot burn no! No! Miss him every day crying as I rite this...again don't nap or fall asleep with a baby in the house not a good idea! Thank you god bless you all.

August 9, 2010 at 10:30 pm
  87. Connie

LOL!!! CNN moderators are AWESOME! C'mon people – put some real flesh on these comments...sustaining a lie won't cover up the inevitable
    truth that "custodial" mom probably is guilty as hell!

August 9, 2010 at 11:31 pm
  88. Sheila Feeney

I believe Sylar Newton was killed by his custodial mother. Reason-Munchhausen-she is typical of this.

August 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm
  89. kjf

maybe sylar's "custodial" mom should also have a lie detector test about the other 2 yr old found dead in that area...you never know how far someone would go to try to take the attention off themselves....i think making it look like there was a serial child killer in the area would do just that....after all she does do drugs

August 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm
  90. colleen

i think the adoptive mother had something to do with his death, i hope to god they arrest her. these poor innocent children that are killed or kidnapped or molested need a voice, someone needs to stick up for our children and make these fools pay for what they do to these kids.. this is very sad. if you dont want the kid don't kill it, give it away or to a police dept or fire station or call the state, give the kid a chance at life..
    i am a mother and would never in a million years think about doing harm to my children let alone someone else's kid.. this is not right.
    wake up america and stop abusing and killing our children.

August 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm
  91. justice first

Dear Nancy, Thank you for being you. My comment is regarding the bio mother of Sylar Newton. Why are there no charges against this whore who bore and then gave away all of her 4 children?!?!?! Where are they, were they legally adopted or just sold for cash? Why isn't she sterilized.-there is definitely the criminal element here. Is she just selling her babies to anyone, or just a whore?

August 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm
  92. Mark Burkhart

How could anyone do this to a child, when someone is arrested and convicted he/she should get the death penalty

August 12, 2010 at 10:02 pm
  93. julie from ohio

this story is awful the 2 women that took him tent camping are probadly to blame .maybe he was with the other kids at the time and they killed him the adults are to blame as well he was a beautiful little guy why did the bio grandma not take him theres alot to that storey im sure i wouldnt let my daughter give my grandsons away

August 13, 2010 at 10:08 am
  94. Sarah

It is way to soon to be accusing the family. He may just have wandered off. Too soon to tell....hopefully it won't take as long as the Kyron case....which I do believe the step-mom was responsible the second it aired...

August 14, 2010 at 11:55 am
  95. Sarah

There is a difference between being outside and in a tent with people....

August 14, 2010 at 11:58 am
  96. Barbara

When we went camping with our boys, we knew at all times if they tried to get out of the tent, Does a 2 year old know how to unzip the door to get out. I would of heard it right away, that is a mom. If the other boys left their tent you would of also heard the zippers to open the door.. I am talking about Sylar now. There is no way a two year old can get up without mom hearing him.

August 14, 2010 at 7:50 pm
  97. Judy Allen

Nancy – I'm a big fan of yours and rarely miss a show. I respect what you have done for helpless children. Tonight however you said something that really touched a nerve with me and I have to point out that I think you're wrong. Just because the bio mom of Sylar supposedly handed over her baby to the totally inappropriate foster family doesn't mean all young mothers who put their children up for adoption are that careless.

My daughter was 17 when she became pregnant. It was her decision to put her baby up for adoption. Through the whole pregnancy she was constantly weighing the benefits of both keeping the baby and putting him up for adoption. She always knew I was there to support her whatever decision she made. When she decided to put the baby up for adoption we went through a church adoption service that helped her every step of the way. I have a lot of respect for my daughter for making her decision to give her son a family that had both a mommy and a daddy. As far as I'm concerned she did a very unselfish thing. "Andrew" turned 18 this summer. We are hoping that he will want to look his biological mother (and grandmother) up. My daughter now has two daughters and another son. She has always kept her baby in her heart but she has never regretted making the decision she made.

I guess I went on and on, sorry. I would like to ask that you try not to lump all mothers who put their children up for adoption into the same group as little Sylar's mom.

August 14, 2010 at 8:04 pm
  98. Lorraine

Nancy, I enjoy watching your program...I don't always agree with you, but that wouldn't be normal if i did! I really think the answer to the dead boy is within the two teen boys! They hold the key to the truth here! I just want to state that any mother who denies that they have napped or even just nodded off for a few moments while raising their young children are all full of BS you're only lying to yourselves!!!

August 14, 2010 at 8:12 pm
  99. Wanita

i am truely amazed at all the crime in this country.. It makes me sad to think people are full of anger. I am not by any means happy to live in this world among all these people that do not know God, for if they did, they would be full of love.I cannot believe that a child leaves a tent in the middle of the night without crying for it's mother. This sound so strange this case. I have five children, youngest is four, and he will never go outside unless i am out there or his siblings are. As soon as they go in the house, he is so afraid to be left by himself, he runs in... I am reallly sicken and sad at all they made up stories, and wasted momies that has to go into a murder investigation becasue the guilty is lying.If you are on drugs and commit a crime, murder especially, it seems you have an excuse to get out of jail. The excuse: "I was on drugs"..God bless the people of the world...

August 15, 2010 at 12:03 pm
  100. Lisa

my husband and i have a 2 yr. old daughter all other children are over 18 she amazes us daily on what she can do all by herself.. she is very independent and can unzip,unbutton and untie alot of things. people should not forget this about a baby whose life ended before he got the chance to live it at all. the truth will come out and everyone should just pray that he is now resting in peace.

August 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm
  101. Diana Cguldress-McKinney, YX

Avid watcher of your show & Janes. Thank God for you boh for keeping us apprised while our medias disregard these situations. My question is simple, please address this on your show. It was said the man who found the skeletal remains of what may be Sular is related to the adoptive (?) family. Who is this mysterious person and how did he surmise that the child may have been buried and exposed to the recent rainfall? Again, thank God for you and Jane.

August 15, 2010 at 7:27 pm
  102. Mother of 2

I have been tired and I have needed to rest, but I feel like when you are a truly responsible parent, a parent who has a deep connection to their kids, that you know in your body when something is wrong. You don't sleep at night when they can't sleep. You hear every noise in the house. You don't drink or do anything that will cause you to lose conscientiousness unless someone else that you trust implicitly is able to take care of your kids. And I'm not talking about a babysitter, I'm talking about a relative, their dad, the grandmas.

Ticia, you can have a life once you have children, you're kids are your life from that point on. They didn't ask to come into the world so now it's your responsibility to take care of them, keep them safe, they don't understand danger they way we do. Not at that age. Going camping is one thing, but to not realize your toddler is leaving the tent is inconceivable to me. How is it possible? As the mother/father you sleep in front of the "door"; you would hear the zipper. You would feel the toddler climbing over you to get to the "door".

I contend that the mother/father had something to do with this boy's disappearance.

August 19, 2010 at 3:25 am
  103. Dee_LiLMonster

For one, I do blame the bio mom – you don’t just hand over your child to someone without doing research into their background. If you did, you would see that records sent to the Sheriff's Office by the Flagstaff Police Department revealed that both the custodial mother (Christina Priem) and grandmother (Nancy Collins) have an extensive history with the police involving drugs, assault, child abuse and child neglect. Hello – do these sound like people you would trust your child to be around. I also read that the bio mom had three other children – all of which have been given away. If you DON’T WANT CHILDREN, THEN DON’T HAVE THEM. This isn’t brain surgery. It’s also the year 2010, not the 1920s, there is plenty of birth control available and if nothing else keep your damn legs closed.

As for the custodial mother – shame on you for being too busy with your addictions to care for this innocent baby boy. How dare you be verbally abusive and push him to the ground because he couldn’t find his shoes. He was two years old, you’re supposed to be the grown up – perhaps you should have helped him find his shoes. Or were you too busy using illegal substances? Your judgment day will come and may you burn in hell for what you did to little Sylar.

Rest in peace little angel Sylar – Justice will be served. You will never be forgotten.

August 24, 2010 at 11:25 am
  104. giavonna

Sure sounds like this so called adopted mom might know exactly what happened. A baby at 2 needs to be watched 24 /7 especially if your at a camp ground. What was she on drugs???????? Lets hope she never can adopt a child and her daughter is taken away from her.

August 25, 2010 at 11:40 am
  105. Dee_LiLMonster

I thought a positive ID would have been announced by now. How long does it take to do DNA testing? I'm hoping an arrest will be made soon. We need justice for this sweet little angel.

August 27, 2010 at 2:52 pm
  106. Tina

When my son was 2yrs old we lived at a lake house. Right on the lake. I had fed him breakfast & settled him in the living-room to watch Barney on TV. So that I could clean up a little bit. I was in the bedroom making the bed & cleaning up the room. I noticed that about 15mins had passed and it was awful quiet in the living-room... so i called out to my son.. No answer! I called again and ran (not walked) to see what he was doing. He was GONE! I went into the kitchen and the back door was open. OMG! I panicked!! I had NO home phone, the closest neighbor was 3 doors down. There was NO fence around the yard to keep him away from the lake... OMG!! I walked the edge of the lake looking, crying, calling out for my son.. my neighbor heard me and came to help. Back then she did not have a phone either... there was no such thing as cell phones... a car pulled up in my driveway.. an this lady got out and said, are you missing a little boy?
    What??? she said, she was driving down our street and she saw this little boy on the side of the road and she stopped and picked him up and asked him where he lived and he told her by pointing that he lived here... THANK GOD FOR HONEST, LOVING, CARING PEOPLE!!! Never again did I take for granted that one of my kids was safe in my own home. I put child locks on the TOP of all my doors that a small child could not open or reach.
    And the day he went missing... he was wearing a diaper and a PJ shirt.. no shoes.. I really understand how it can happen... but dear God it hurts like you can not believe...
    Thank God I only missed my child for about 30mins. But in those minutes I thought I would die...
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the people that love these little ones..

August 27, 2010 at 8:38 pm
  107. BrittanyLamas

this is a really sad story.!How does 2 year old sylar end up dead and no one hear or see anything? i think they should honestly look into the biological parents(bc it was stated that he was going to be adopted) for multiple reasons one being that they want him back and it was to late so they probably thought well if i cant have them no one can? or look into the brother and his friend or even sister bc since this young boy was not biologically theres they could feel jealous or like there is competition...you never know things like this happen all the time!

September 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm
  108. Lynne

There is something fishy about this. Something doesn't add up. More and more he-said she-said, none of it making any sense.

My daughter never wandered off while I was napping, but then I rarely took naps when we were home alone. It was just too risky.

September 21, 2010 at 8:24 am
  109. brittany

this is o so sad. a young boy in roanoke, va where i live was killed by his stepfather and placed in the garbage outside their home, and lied and lied and lied. Even had enough guts to look stright into the news camera and beg for the person who took him to bring him back. a couple weeks later a police force who had gotten word the boys body was placed into the trash, and after sifting through a land fill just like this young boy, his body was also found, and the mother of the child and stepfather were charged with murder.

these poor children. their in a better place now though

September 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm