Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

September 14th, 2010

California Restaurant Owner's Wife Vanishes

Husband's New Girlfriend Allegedly Throws out Wife's Stuff, Jeep Towed

The mystery surrounding the sudden disappearance of Dawn Viens, the beautiful wife of a California restaurant owner, takes yet another bizarre twist. After we learn the missing woman’s husband reportedly shacks up with a new girlfriend just days after Viens goes missing, we now learn David Vien’s girlfriend throws out his missing wife’s stuff, according to a friend of the missing woman.

Reports surface David Viens’s girlfriend and daughter tossed out his wife’s personal belongings into the dumpster behind his restaurant. Dawn Viens’ friend, Joe Cacase, tells Nancy Grace David Viens told a few people he put his missing wife’s stuff in storage but one day his new girlfriend and daughter came to David Viens’ restaurant and tossed a box full of Dawn Viens’ clothing into the dumpster.

David & Dawn Viens
David & Dawn Viens

The couple, married 15 years, worked together at their Lomita, California restaurant, Thyme Contemporary Café. Dawn Viens was the hostess until she simply vanished into thin air, last seen leaving the restaurant. And apparently, Dawn Viens was out and the new girlfriend was in. David Viens not only allegedly let his new lover move into the family home, but let her, a one-time waitress at the restaurant take over his wife’s job as hostess. Not typical and not a good look for a husband whose wife has just gone missing.

And we learn, since covering the story, business has really slowed down at the Thyme Contemporary Café. The new girlfriend has reportedly taken to the internet and the message boards, blasting those who believe Dawn Viens didn’t disappear on her own. The new girlfriend reportedly says she thinks Dawn Viens is a drug addict and will come home then everyone will have egg on their faces. She also took the time to trash her ex-boyfriend and says Dawn Viens walked out on the marriage.

Meantime, friends and neighbors also reporting Dawn Viens’ black 1987 Jeep Cherokee has been towed. The vintage Jeep had damage to the left rear tail light and sat in the restaurant’s parking lot for a week after Viens went missing. David Viens’ daughter had been driving the Jeep before it was towed away. With his wife missing without a trace, why would David Viens allow her vehicle to be towed, throw out her stuff and move a new girlfriend into the house? How can he be so sure Dawn Viens is not coming home? Police have questioned David Viens and he is not a suspect. Investigators are still working the case around the clock, interviewing key witnesses.

Post by:
Filed under: Story Updates
  1. Jodi Hunt

OMG, Nancy how much more do the Law Enforcement Team need for evidence?? This is so terrible, not only for the missing Wife but her children, sisters/brothers & parents!! And, the nerve of that "girlfriend" to disrespect any of her property..........and throw away uhm, that's insult to injury. Furthermore I take offense to the........let's say she's an addict ( I am a recovering addict of 4 years to Oxycontin after I broke my neck while on the job) we own our crap!! Wow!! So, let's get this straight.........Mommy comes up missing,"girlfriend" moves in days after Mommy gone, her personal property is thrown away behind the family owned restaurants dumpster, and now it's she's an addict.......those poor children!! It's like the Dad & Girlfriend are laughing at the Law Enforcement and ruining the children's life. I'm so appauled by this.......plz stay on this story and keep "US" informed.......I thank u every nite while I'm watching your show. luv u & THANK-YOU again. Take care of those adorable twins (I know you will.lol) Take Care.

September 14, 2010 at 9:12 pm
  2. CHOMP

It's not too hard to figure out who made this woman vanish! Now I wonder if the girlfriend helped. I hope that investigators can find enough evidence to solve this case.

September 15, 2010 at 1:24 am
  3. sonya cangemi

has anyone mentioned that previously last october 2009, she disappeared as well, again leaving her vehicle behind. maybe she does have an issue. in 2005 in florida, their house supposedly investigated for drug use. this is online.

September 15, 2010 at 4:05 am
  4. jeanne

WTF????? the daughter hated her mother???? threw out her belongings??? girlfriend moved into family house, took over wifes job????? this story needs to dig deeped and report more info, or just go shoot the husband, new girlfriend and daughter right now....

September 15, 2010 at 8:21 am
  5. Whitney

Ok so let me get this straight! This hubby's wife vansishes and days later he moves a new woman into their house, gets rid of his wifes belongings and gets her car towed! And he is not a suspsct?!?!?!? This is what is wrong with our law enforcement today! They haev the person right in their face and dont even know it! What a crock!

September 15, 2010 at 9:02 am
  6. JESSICA K

NANCY
    ABOUT KYRON HARMON,DO YOU THINK TERRI'S BIO-SON MIGHT BE INVOLVED WITH KYRON BRING MISSING;SINCE HE GOT KICKED OUT OF THE HOUSE.

LOVE YOU AND THE SHOW!!!!

September 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm
  7. kimberly decker

This guy is a sick Bastard.On top of it all he stupid he is going to spend the rest of his life in jail,jackass!!

September 15, 2010 at 7:45 pm
  8. barbara

i have seen the commercials for nancy grace's new show swift justice.is it on a certain channel, i cannot find it anywhere and i would love to watch it. i live in las vegas, can you let me know the station it is on and the time, thank you

September 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm
  9. Gia

Incredible how some people take life from granted.. especially that of their significant other and without any remorse continue their Journey,, knowing that their loved one will never come back as if it didn't matter. I am 100% sure he had something to do with it as he has no shame replacing his missing wife so suddenly with one of his waitresses as if 15 years of marriage ment nothing. Why would you throw away the belongings of a person you truly loved and cared for and why lose hope so quickly that the person will come back and just go on with your life as if the one before his wife vanished didn't exist. That waitress clearly has no class and self respected by allowing herself to try and replace someone whose shoes she will never be ever to fill. Disgusting totally.

September 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm
  10. Bev Cameron

This case reminds me of the Stacey Peterson case. What I don't understand is why it took so long for friends and family to report this young lady as missing. Another husband is going to get away with murder. Why can't people divorce and go on with their lives instead of murdering their spouse? There's to many young women and young mothers missing. I'll never forget the news break announcing the disappearance of Lacy Peterson. I still get sick thinking about that case. That beautiful young woman and baby thrown into a lake. Scott should already have been executed as far as I'm concerned.

September 15, 2010 at 9:53 pm
  11. Stefanie

Ok, sorry, but this guy killed his wife. HIs cell phone records should be able to show police where he dumped the body.

September 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm
  12. SarahS

Weird story. Normally I would say the husband, but maybe she knew of an "affair" and left. Sadly enough though the husband is most likely the culprit....would he really be that stupid to do that though (bringing around the new gf) it'll be interesting to see what happens!

September 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm
  13. E. Jacqueline Irons

Hi Nancy, love you; I just feel compelled to tell you that you were so right about the police. (your suspicions) Either, sometimes, they overeact or undereact. I heard on the news last night that they thought that the calling in of the crime of the family who was home invaded, was a FAKE CALL! THAT'S WHY IT TOOK THEM 32 MINUTES TO REACH THE VICTIMS. WHAT A TRAGEDY! When they actually arrived, the home was in total flames. Another thing, it seems that some of these heinous criminals, get a slap on the wrist, over and over and over again.
    Thanks for listening (I hope)

September 16, 2010 at 9:12 am
  14. Judith K. Nelson

There are people praying with me that God fulfills his promise for life with parole and to clean all the currption in this town. Send you love!

God bless,
    Judy

September 16, 2010 at 10:51 am
  15. Vicki Rae

Really! Does this creep think he can get away with this! You get him Nancy Grace!!!

September 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm
  16. Jean, Toronto

It is shocking to read and hear this story, yet another one, of the beautiful wife who disappeared. Simply put. It is obvious that this husband murdered his wife or paid someone to do it. Consider that your wife disappears and soon after you have a live-in girlfriend in the home which you shared with your wife. What type of love did he have for his wife?
    You are not sad, not grieving and no remorse of what happened to her. Is this not evident that he knows what happened to her and wanted her out of the way so that he can carry on with his mistress? Why is the Law so slow to realize this and to indict him? I will answer my own question. It may be that they have him and his girlfriend under surveillance to see if they could catch him in his own ruse.
    I do love to say according to my godly spiritual instinct, they can cheat and lie to human beings as the police authorities but they cannot do so with God.
    Let us face the fact. God knows what happened to this lady and who did it. In His own good patient time, He will deal with that person according to their evil actions.
    All who murder people and deprive them of their life as they, themselves, want to live and think that they can hide and will never be caught, they will never be able to hide from Our God. God who knows, sees and hears all things has already caught you even though you are not aware of it. They will never escape His fair and just recompense and punishment from Our God.
    This is my faith, trust and hope I have in the Lord who made Heaven and earth, who create human beings and who said: "Thou shalt not kill." In addition, "Love one another as you love yourself."
    It appears no hope and Heaven for such people. They will never be sincerely happy on this earth. It is better to do good and to do evil. Far better.

September 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm
  17. Jprimo

I need help. I have three young children and am being abused. No one can help me where i need it most, in court. If someone doesent help i will be found dead im sure.

September 17, 2010 at 2:26 am
  18. Pam

Forgive me if my post is unrelated to the current shows & issues shared, but I feel a strong urgency here, and in the hope that Nancy herself will read my post, I am commenting where I can:
    Dearest Nancy,.. It was your show which vacuumed me in to the Casey Anthony case. Others cases, also, but not nearly as intensely. I KNEW there must have been something more than the case having nothing new happening, as being reason for no longer covering the story. I respect you for your tough stand for justice, and I have always perceived you as not being one to be easily intimidated..An awesome woman I can relate to, and a Great Mother, as well. I sensed you were as invested as I was/am, in the Caylee Anthony case. I was surprised & disappointed when your show went silent on it. I have just read an article by Fox Orlando, which mentions "Motion in Casey case affecting the media"...and Baez wanting to stifle media which would negatively influence the case against Casey A. All the while Baez' deceptive propaganda goes unrestrained, and even stooping to having his buddy, Geraldo Rivera do a show on the Death Penalty, and specifically pointing out the injustice of a death penalty being decided for Casey Anthony. That was so "weasely", and very offensive that he would abuse his platform to DECEPTIVELY manipulate his viewers for his buddy Baez. WHY are there double standards here?! How does Baez have the right to USE media to help his client, as he attempts to poison the perspective jury pool, while those of an opposing point of view should be stifled??!! We have a free Press, and we have Freedom of Speech in this country, don't we??!!..PLEASE PLEASE, MY FRIEND,.. Caylee needs the same equal time, prior to jury selection, that Baez enjoys. Please get on this case again, showing the video of little Caylee singing in her Hi chair, and with her grandmother...Please educate the public who is yet uninformed, and refresh the minds of those who have forgotten, with all the facts once again...WE NEED YOU NANCY...CAYLEE NEEDS YOU...PLEASE COURAGEOUSLY STAND FOR HER.

September 17, 2010 at 2:23 pm
  19. karen

hi saw your show about elder abuse. almost made me cry. i worked as a nurses aid for years . never did that to my people.they should beat her. . but knowing the law she wikk get a slap on the wrist told not to do it a gain. may be some jail time.(i hope). the she will move change her name and do it again this time she will look for cameras.

September 17, 2010 at 7:59 pm
  20. sharon hoffman

While I thoroughly enjoy watching your program every night of the week and also week-ends I am curious about one thing!! You are a very brilliant attorney – you stand up for what' right – or wrong. I adore your precious children and it truly has been a blessing from God:; however, my concern is this - is, where is the praise and thankfulness from you – - and God for your husband? That disturbs me and I'm beginning to wonder – is there a "problem" in the famous Nancy Grace household?? PLEASE tell me I"m, wrong!! I am a concerned and faithful listener!! sh

i'M WRONG!
    t

September 18, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  21. gabriela cylc

hi nancy, love you,and your show.i am european,so forgive me my english. i try to watch your show everyday keep doing this.we need more people like you. on this world , i am especialy sensitive about children, they are innocent little people.i paint,and i paint kids,for kids.today i painted twins for a friend.she is going to have boy and girl ,like you.i am a mother myself (two daughters) iwould like to give you names of two songs you may like.one is"little sussie' and"lost children" by michael jackson.they are beautiful and sad. god bless you and your familly gabriela c.

September 19, 2010 at 9:53 pm
  22. CVT

Finally....someone got the L.A. County Sherrifs to take this seriously. Way to go Nancy Grace!

September 23, 2010 at 3:46 pm
  23. Suzy

I can't believe this crap!! This seems like another Scott Peterson!! It is so obvious that the husband must have had something to do with her "disappearance" because why all of a sudden would he have a new girlfriend just days after his wife had been missing and why would they throw away her belongings unless of course they only new she was not coming back because they harmed her or hired someone to harm her. Not to mention, the husband had to of been having an affair with this new girlfriend because one just doesn't get a new partner right away that moves in the house unless they were secretly dating. This story just does not add up..If she was a drug attic like his girlfriend claimed, then she would have come back to grab expensive belongings to sell for drugs or even other family members or close friends of the missing woman would have came forward and said she had a drug issue. However, I am not aware of any reports say this missing woman has a drug issue! Does anyone know if she has used any credit cards or cell phone since she has been reported missing?

September 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm
  24. jmacy

sonya cangemi, the article I found about her disappearing last year says that she's been missing this whole time, so no, she hasn't done it before, she's never been found. CNN should be a little more clear in this article because they're making it sound like she just disappeared this week.

September 26, 2010 at 6:17 pm
  25. janice

if your cell phone is turned off, it won't ping phone towers. the artical keeps referring to "his" daughter. is she the victims stepdaughter?

September 26, 2010 at 9:41 pm
  26. Lisa

Sounds like the new girlfriend needs to be looked at too.

September 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm
  27. Terry

Come on people! They could not be stupid enough to do this to her belongings if they are to blame. Hopefully she will turn up in a couple of days. They are just guilty of being insensitive.

September 29, 2010 at 9:54 am
  28. unknown

I think his new gf and the victims husband did something to her. He has probally been cheating on his wife this whole time. Not man enough to get a divorce and once the detectives find more evidence then they can rot in prison..

October 1, 2010 at 10:40 am
  29. Jenny Farney

This is just too surreal for me.......My husband and I ate at the restaurant the night before Dawns disappearance. What is even odder is that I called to make reservations and spoke with Dawn. The restaurant had been recommended by my friend who lives in the neighborhood. I told Dawn that we were celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary. She was so excited that we choose their restaurant and went on and on to tell me that she was just celebrating her 15th wedding anniversary and how awesome it was. When we arrived, we were greeted by Dawn and a special table was set for us. She made a huge fuss over our anniversary, brought us wine glasses (no liquor license so we brought our own wine) and served us a complimentary appetizer. She kept checking on us to see how we were doing (way overboard and a little annoying). Our waitress that evening was David Veins now girlfriend. She seemed embarrassed of Dawns overzealous reaction to all of this. Before we left Dawn brought out a free dessert with a candle and the restaurant sang happy anniversary to us. We left that evening thinking the food was great but the wife was a little too over the top (maybe on something but very kind). I still was grateful for the service, free appetizer and dessert and the next day I wrote a review in Urbanspoon (seen below) and then sent a thank you email to David and Dawns restaurant website. I also called my friend to tell her about our experience. To make things even stranger.....my friend spoke to David a short time after this and told him about my email and review. He didn't read it or know about us being there (yet he came to all of the tables that evening?) and also didn't mention anything about his wife's disappearance. In December I found out about Dawns disappearance and searched this information on the web. I was shocked to see the last date she was seen......was the same day I wrote my review!!!!!!! I continue to follow this story because I am completely creaped out about this.

Special Thyme last night!
    by Jenny (1 review)
    October 18, 2009 Last night my husband and I celebrated our 17th Wedding Anniversary. The food was delicious and the service was awesome.We really felt special when they sang to us and the entire restaurant clapped. One couple even said happy anniversary to us as they walked out the door. Unfortunately we live in Lakewood so they are not right around the corner for us or we would be back on a regular basis!!!!!!! I felt like we were in the coolest local neighborhood restaurant with the best food. I hope to come to lunch real soon to try more wonderful

October 6, 2010 at 2:12 pm
  30. Tina

where is the missing womens purse?where is her cell phone?Who saw her last at the resturant?where was the women he obviously was having an affair with, at time of his wifes disaperance?has husband,daughter,and girlfriend been given lie detector test?

October 8, 2010 at 11:24 pm