Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

September 22nd, 2010

Will babysitter face murder charges in child's death?

Zeyda White
Zeyda White

The notion of babysitting often conjures up pleasant images of nurturing and caring for a child for a few hours.

But the tragic case of Zeyda White is a shocking contrast and a parent’s nightmare come true.

While many details remain unclear, we know suburban Atlanta-area police arrested an 11-year-old girl following the weekend death of 2-year-old Zeyda.

Authorities say an autopsy indicates Zeyda died of blunt force trauma, raising questions about the young babysitter’s reported claim that Zeyda was injured in a fall off a bed.

Zeyda’s mother, Ashlea Collier, reportedly wants the girl, whose name has not been released, to serve hard time for the rest of her life.

However, Georgia law dictates that children under 13 must be charged in the juvenile system, so if tried and convicted, the babysitter couldn’t be incarcerated past her 21st birthday.

Post by:
Filed under: Story Updates
  1. Nikita Thornsberry

Why in the world is an 11 year old CHILD allowed to baby-sit in the first place? They should have a baby sitter to sit them! This is partially the parents, both of the victim and the offender, fault. It's not right that the child died but the parent was neglectful in leaving her child with another child and expecting that everything would be okay. What is wrong with parents?

September 22, 2010 at 7:12 pm
  2. LORI ENGLISH

Please, please tell Sue Moss to quit yelling! If she can't figure out how to emote a different way she shouldn't be on tv.

September 22, 2010 at 7:52 pm
  3. karen

this story is so sad..how long could this little girl live with these beatings that it could have happened before the 11 year old was babysitting. Could the 11 year old be covering up for someone? Could the 11 year old mom have done this?

September 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm
  4. natasha

i think the parents and the 11 year olds parents should be drug tested becasue noone in there right mind would leave a 11 year old to babysit a toddle!!!!!! drug test everyone and put them where they belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm
  5. Helen R. Griswold

Unless this eleven year old maliciously and purposely injurred this darling baby, she shouldn't be charged with anything!!! The Mother obviously knew the home and enviroment to which she was leaving her child in the care of and I think the adults in this case bare full responsibility for what's happened to this baby! The mother certainly has my sympathy but she is screaming to have this child prosecuted to the fullest when...it's indeed the eleven year olds' Mother who should be prosecuted for neglect and endangering the safety of a child/children if she left hers' alone, too!!!

September 22, 2010 at 7:57 pm
  6. LaCheLa

I do not feel that the 11 year did all of this damage to the 2 year old's body something is telling me that this child was already being abused

September 22, 2010 at 7:59 pm
  7. Samantha

Of course, I don't know what really happened, but I think that the mother is an irresponsible person either way because 11 years old is too young to be responsible for a 2 year old. Bad judgement! 16 is old enough but an 11 year old needs a babysitter and should not be left home alone let alone babysit a 2 year old child!

September 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm
  8. alawyer

The mother of the dead child is not the victim – she was a negligent parent who did not ensure the safety of her child and now blames another child for the death of the true victim in this case. I have limited sympathy for people who use 11 year olds as babysitters.

So now she wants the 11 year old to do hard time? On what charge? A grossly abused felony murder charge – let's face reality – that kid did not deliberately cause the death of the other child – assuming she did not make a false confession.

Which brings us to the real issue – how do we know she's guilty? Shouldn't the police have done a complete and thorough background check on anyone with access to the toddler, prior to deciding the 11 year old must have done it and extracting a confession? Could she be taking the rap for a relative, since her mother also had access? Could the toddler have been injured before it was given to the child?

An 11 year old lacks the ability to understand the difference between beating and so-called spanking – which is why it's probably a good idea to do neither and to let your babysitter know ahead of time that you don't hit your kids and neither shall they. It takes just a few seconds to inflict serious injury on a toddler – wham, slam and it's over. Hitting toddlers is a bad idea – and 11 year olds who hit toddlers have learned this behavior somewhere. You don't have to be a bad kid or a particularly violent kid to smack a younger kid out of furstration or anger – and if you're and oversized 11 year old, you can easily cause death without knowing or understanding that you could.

Next time, hire a real babysitter please. And let's hope the cops haven't jumped the gun on this one and extracted a false confession – kids that age are very easily misled into confessions.

September 22, 2010 at 8:32 pm
  9. Katina Redd

This is a very sad and heartbreaking situation. My question is who on earth would leave their small child or any child in the care of an 11 year-old child who is still just a baby herself. Also, where was the parent or parents of this 11 year old child who should have had a babysitter herself? An 11 year old is not fit physically, emotionally, or mentally to babysit for anyone especially when unsupervised by an adult. This child should have to face the consequences, as a child, and know that what she did was very wrong. However, I feel that whoever the adult or adults were that allowed this 11 year old child and the victim to be placed in this situation should have to answer for this as well. This is a very tragic situation that could have easily been avoided.

September 22, 2010 at 8:50 pm
  10. DANIELLE

The mother of the 2 year old..knew that the 11 year old was going to watch her child a long. the 11 year old mother works with the 2 year old mother..the where both at work together and left that kid baby sitting and no one there to help her with a 2 year old..during or after work the two mothers went to eat at chills..still the 11 year old was left there along with this kid. what was this kid to do? both mothers new what happen..they where together.when they got to the house thats when the 11 year old mother tryed to give the child CPR..it was to late.the child had passed on..so they where yelling what did u do to the baby. the 11 year old didt know. she was scared. and lost. NOW LETS GET TO THE TWO MOTHERS..CHARGES SHOULD BE BROUGHT AGAINST THEM WHY? THEY LEFT 2 KIDS IN THE HOUSE ALONG AND WENT TO EAT THEN WORK.. THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE..

September 22, 2010 at 9:10 pm
  11. DANIELLE

THIS CHILD SHOULD NOT BE PUT IN JAIL =. THE MOTHERS SHOULD BY LEAVING TO KIDS A LONG TOGETHER. AND JUST BECAUSE THE 11 YEAR OLD IS BIG..IT HAS NOTHIG TO DO WITH THE KID BEING A KID..

September 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm
  12. Mar

Ya know it is horrible what has happened. My heart and my prayers are out there for both familes. They have charged this 11 year old with murder, but what about the mother of the toddler? By law an 11 year old is not to be left alone by themselves much less alone with a toddler. I have a 15 month old grandson and at times it gets difficult and tiring tending to him, how tough does the mother of that baby think it was on that 11 year old. I think there is some neglect charges on the mothers behalf here. I will keep both families in my prayers.

September 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm
  13. Margie

I just sent an email but I just heard that the 11 yr olds mother was there...or suppose to be there. Did anybody go to think they may need to question the 11 yr olds mother (could she have done something to the child herself?) This could be a case of the 11 yr old was set up by mom and is scared to tell the truth. Maybe the mom told her to say the baby fell off the bed. Prayers for the 11 year old and the family of the toddler. My the lord let them find comfort and peace in his honor and glory.

September 22, 2010 at 9:55 pm
  14. Tina

Is there anyway that the baby could have received these injuries before the baby sitter started watching her? By all means 11 is too young to babysit but maybe shes easier to blame.

September 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm
  15. Melody Edwards

The mother of the 2 year old is a fault. Who is dumb enough to leave a baby with an 11 year old. If the 11 year olds mother was suppose to be there, then prove it. I'm so sad for that baby's family, but don't blame another baby. It was the 2 year olds mothers fault

September 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm
  16. J

While this is devasting what I have to wonder is why isnt the mother being charged for leaving her toddler with a 11 year old?! Some people really dont think.

September 22, 2010 at 11:35 pm
  17. shannon

This is, in my opinion, won't be so cut and dry. I don't think the 11 y/o killed this baby. How convient that the 11 year olds mother was not in the home when the baby was supposedly injured while in the care of the 11 y/o. I think the 11 y/o mother did it and is using her daughter as an excape goat. I am gonna go out on a limb, and suggest that the mother of the 11 y/o has a violent past and that she was abusive to her daughter, and when she (the mother) realized the severity of the damages she caused to the 2 y/o, she panicked and threatened the 11 y/o to take the blame. Its a theory, as well as law enforcement, has their theory. But, my point is that I cannot see an 11 y/o girl, assaulting a baby. Its not in "little girls" nature to abuse. I really don't believe that child touched that baby. Furthermore, I think that the police and d.a. have jumped the gun. Why won't they think outside the box for a second, and go "em" maybe the 11 y/o mother did this. I thought the police department and district attorney's office are suppose to investigate first, as opposed to "convict" and without any real evidence. The only word they have is from the 11 y/o mother that the 11 y/o suggested the child fell off the bed/crib. This doesn't pass the smell test with me. If in fact the 11 year olds mother harmed this baby, and the 11 year old is convicted of this; then we will have 2 victims on our hands. the baby and the "baby sitter"

September 23, 2010 at 12:27 am
  18. carla

It makes no sense for a (11)yr old child to babysit another child. I think both parenrs should be charged as well

September 23, 2010 at 12:43 am
  19. Tracee

Has anyone thought that maybe that 2 year old had injuries prior to being left with the 11 year old. Maybe that's why that horrible mother left her two year old with the 11 year old knowing her child had injuries and hoping to pin it on the 11 year old.

September 23, 2010 at 12:55 am
  20. Letitia

An 11 year-old child should not have been babysitting a 2 year-old baby in the first place. The mother of the 2 year-old should be facing charges not the 11 year-old. She does not have the mind set to know what to do in a situation when a child might be crying uncontrollably or anything like that.

September 23, 2010 at 12:57 am
  21. Deena Jones

What is the age that can legaly babysit??? It is not 11 and the mother should be charged also with this death. I don't feel anyone can put this child in jail! I think we need more details! There are too many questions to be answered!

September 23, 2010 at 9:55 am
  22. BDC1981

Is it just me or does anyone esle feel that an 11 year old should have never been put in this situation. To me they need to charge the mom of the 2 year old with at least neglect. I have a 2 year old and would not ever leave her with someone that young.

September 23, 2010 at 9:55 am
  23. MT

"Zeyda’s mother, Ashlea Collier, reportedly wants the girl, whose name has not been released, to serve hard time for the rest of her life".
    REALLY! I am a mother of an 11 year old daughter. I have enough sense to not leave an 11 year old child to be responsible for someone's two year old child. The 11 year old child would likely need adult assistance if an accident was to occur. 11 year old girls can be very responsible and dependable. However they are just children theirselves. At some time we as the adults need to take responsiblity for our actions. The mother made a very poor decision and will pay for it the rest of her life. To lock this 11 year old child up is another poor decision in the event this was indeed a tragic accident.

September 23, 2010 at 10:12 am
  24. Tineshia

NO that the baby's mother faults because she let her caring her baby so i thinking the baby's mother need go to court because she is wrong for blame on the babysitter. she going to jail too. she need to know that not right well i guess the baby's mother trying let her experience with baby. no comment more.

September 23, 2010 at 10:29 am
  25. Neece

Why would the mother leave a 2 year old toddler with an 11 year old? Not sure how this happened, however, an 11 year old is not old enough to be babysitting for a 2 year old muchless themselves! I think the mother is certainly cupable in this situation and she should be sited for neglect for leaving her 2 year old with a child! I find it appauling that this mother is so willing to just lock this child away for ever yet, she is unwilling to see the role she played. I feel for both of these mothers, however, the mother of the 2 year old needs to take some responsibility here.

September 23, 2010 at 10:43 am
  26. MT

September 23, 2010 at 11:20 am
  27. jj

Why on earth would the mother leave her baby with a 11 year child to babysit? I thought that was not legal to do.

September 23, 2010 at 11:34 am
  28. Amy

HOW DARE ANYONE NOT THINK THAT THIS LITTLE GIRL SHOULD SPEND THE REST OF HER LIFE IN PRISON. JUST BECAUSE SHE ISNT 13 DOESNT MEAN SHE SHOULD BE INCARCERATED FOR THE REAMINDER OF WHAT SHE HAS TAKEN FROM SOMEONE ELSE!!! That mother has every right to say what she has and I hope that the family gets everything they need. No way will any of it bring back their beautiful baby but it will help ease the pain that they may feel. I pray each day for your family and may God bless each and every one of you!!

September 23, 2010 at 11:34 am
  29. Michelle

11 is way too young to care for a 2 year old. The mother ought to face charges too – hope her night out was worth it.

September 23, 2010 at 12:14 pm
  30. LOVE1

That's really sad for 11 years old will charged for murder a 2 years old

May be the mom was tried to save some moneys on that day

September 23, 2010 at 12:41 pm
  31. CCLOWERY

Mom wants babysitter to serve hard time? How about she serve hard time for leaving her 2 year old baby with an 11 year old baby? I don't know why an 11 year old would abuse a child to death but it leaves me to think that maybe she was beat on or faced corporal punishment when she was being punished. If she did abuse that little baby to death then the 11 year old has alot of anger built up and where did it come from? What is she so angry about? Sounds like the mother was trying to get off with a cheap babysitter and who knows how many times this little girl was forced to be an adult and watch a 2 year old who was probably fussy and everything else. Sometimes I wanted to pull my hair out with my 2 year old so imagine a little 11 year old kid tring to maintain the situation. Put Mom in jail!!!

September 23, 2010 at 12:43 pm
  32. Bernadette holmes

First of all an eleven yr old dont have no business babysitting NO ONE I think the mom of the baby need to face charges too. She knew better. What type of mom is she. Its part the little girl fault and the mom fault.

September 23, 2010 at 1:14 pm
  33. Bee

I have a very smart & mature 11 yr old, and I must say that there is no way I would let her babysit a 2 yr old with no adult present! She is around kids all the time & is very good with them, I think that no 11 yr olds are mature enough to babysit alone, I think the parents of the 2 yr old and the parents of the 11 yr old need to take some responsibility here too.

September 23, 2010 at 2:39 pm
  34. Suzanne

Some of you are very self righteous about letting an 11 year old babysit but you don't know the circumstances. If she's a single parent she may have had no choice that day. Wait until all the facts come out before condemning this mother. You have no idea how hard it can be to juggle this stuff on your own.

September 23, 2010 at 4:50 pm
  35. Melissa

Why isn't there more advertisements, listings, easy access numbers, information for individuals who can't take care of our precious children made more visual and easier to access to make them think before they do something so unforgiveable.

I am so tired of hearing that moms and/or dads end their childs life because they were temporary crazy or need help.

September 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm
  36. t

If you listen to what the mom said , she stated she left the baby with the 11 year old AND her mom. It's common for young babysitters to do so in their homes with an adult around. This is how you learn to baby sit. My issue is if the mom was home, how come she couldn't hear the baby when it was supposively upset prior to the beating? No one heard a baby screaming in an appartment during the beating?

September 23, 2010 at 11:50 pm
  37. D

I agree. There mother came across to me as if she was almost relieved that she wasnt a suspect so far. The mother was too quick to blame the 11 yr old for baby's death. As long as the media and police stay on the 11yr old...the less time spent on investigating the mother. Sadly to say, it smells like a cover up to me. And the mother is behind all of this.

Was this 11 yr old related to family or just a friend? Bc why would the mother want to sent babysitter away for the rest of her life??? Where was the mother? Was she scheduled to stay away leaving sitter?

September 24, 2010 at 1:35 am
  38. BETTY

How can a child take care of another child? What's wrong w/today's society people? PARENTS WAKE UP, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY WITH YOUR CHILDREN. THEY ARE THE ONES THAT ARE SOMEDAY GOING TO TAKE CARE OF YOU WHEN YOU GROW OLD. WHY KILL THEM, OR ABUSE THEM? What have they done to deserve it? Just becuz you got abused? NO EXCUSE, becuz as a child, I was whipped with a horse's lash by my grandmother (who raised me), and knelt me down afterwards. What that abuse? No. I'm still alive, and I happen to STILL LOVE my grandma (she's deceased), who thought that by discipling us with a whip was the right way. I don't hold any grudges against her, as a matter of fact, I happen to be a very loving mother, and grandmother.
    SO TO ALL WOMEN OF THE WORLD, ALL RACES, AND NATIONALITIES: TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CHILDREN THAT YOU CONCEIVE.
    IF YOU DO NOT WANT CHILDREN, THEN BY ALL MEANS, USE SOME KIND OF PROTECTION. CHILDREN DO NOT NEED TO BE BROUGHT INTO THIS WORLD IF YOU DIDN'T CHOOSE TO HAVE THEM, THEY ARE ONLY HERE BECUZ "YOU CHOSE IT", REMEMBER THAT NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN.

September 24, 2010 at 1:49 am
  39. Grace Adele Spruiell

This story simply haunts me. I would have never left my 2 year old daughter with an 11 year old.

September 24, 2010 at 6:02 am
  40. allyk91

where was the mother of the 11 year old? who hires an 11 year old babysitter?????????? come on people let's have some common sense when raising a child.

September 24, 2010 at 6:44 am
  41. allyk91

the two mothers should be charged for child neglect.

September 24, 2010 at 6:47 am
  42. CDM

I guess momma should do hard time for the rest of her life for leaving a small child in the hands of someone that isn't even old enough to stay alone themselves. Why do so many people believe they have no fault for the BAD decisions they make?

September 24, 2010 at 7:15 am
  43. Arnesha White

Why in the world would you leave an 11 year old girl wi
    th your two year old daughter, your'e dumb i think you should be arrested i wish you would cry because your daughter's dead....

September 24, 2010 at 9:11 am
  44. Mother of three

This is outrageous! I couldn't imagine leaving an eleven year old home alone, unsupervised , never mind with a two year old to care for! What were these "mothers" thinking? This is a horrible tragedy that could have been avoided if just one of these "mothers" had some common sense and these children had some supervision. Parenting is the most difficult job in the world, leaving an eleven year old to try and do it is asinine. The adults should be the ones having to answer to the law for this one!

September 24, 2010 at 9:40 am
  45. Bee

I feel for this mother of the 2 yr old also, but 11 yrs old is not old enough to be left alone with a 2yr old to babysit, your babies are your responsibility & leaving a 2yr old in the care of an 11 yr old babysitter is neglectful. Such a sad situation that could've been avoided. Sorry but I don't think any judge in his/her right mind would convict this girl, accidents do happen & that is why our children need to be left in the care of responsible adults, my thoughts also go out to the 11 yr old girl, she will need help through this too.

September 24, 2010 at 9:58 am
  46. Loving Mommy

This is a horrible, horrible tragedy! My heart abosolutely aches for both of the babies involved in this horrible event. I agree with everyone on the blog that the mothers are the ones who should be held responsible for whatever it is that happened this day. WHY would ANY mother leave a child at home with an 11 year old? Furthermore, why do you leave an 11 year old alone at all? And isn't the legal age to stay home about 2 or 3 years senior to 11? I truly hope this is all taken into consideration when it comes to prosecution time. I'm not sure, but I do know that whatever happens... whoever is responsible for this truly, I hope they PAY!!!! And I pray that one day parents will stop making these precious, innocent, and dear children to our Lord if they feel they cannot handle parenthood. God bless baby Zeyda's soul.

September 24, 2010 at 10:10 am
  47. Sheneka

I feel that theres something wrong with this picture. If the mother was home at the time of the accident then the LITTLE GIRL was not babysitting so maybe the mother is trying to cover something up on her own self. How could an 11 yr. old is going to hurt a 2 yr old child for her to abuse this child it had to be on going for awhile. I think that the parents needs to be questioned over and over again cause someone is lying on this little girl. And wheres the parent that was letting their 11 yr. old babysit anyways.

September 24, 2010 at 11:32 am
  48. Alyson

Of course she wants the child prosecuted, it takes away from the fact she left her innocent 2 year old in the hands of an inadequate care giver, no 11 year old should be babysitting a 2 year old, end of story.

September 24, 2010 at 12:20 pm
  49. shay

I have a two year old that is lot to deal with that I don't feel comfortable with leaving her with some adults. I would never trust a 11 year old child to take care of my baby. How do we know that the mother didn't beat the crap out of the baby before she got there? Its possible a lady just got arrested for leaving her 4 kids in a closet for 10 hours go figure. I shutter to think of the parenting skills of any one that its okay to leave a 11 year old with a baby. She wants this child to serve hard time? I hope she serves it right along with her. What if the house caught on fire, or someone broke in the home a 11 year old would probably not know what to do. This mother should have been taken into custody immediately.

September 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm
  50. brando8288

I have to say, When i was growing up my father worked full time and had to leave me and my brother home alone. My brother was 10 YEARS OLD!! He was perfectly capable of watching me. We have this notion that children are incapable of doing anything by themselves. My brother in law is 10 years old and his mother wont even let him walk 4 blocks to school! I rode my bike when i was 8 years old 2 miles to school. Children are perfectly capable and should be held responsible for their actions. When you don't hold them accountable you allow them to do things like hurt people. This 11 year old knew exactly what she was doing when she hurt that little girl.

September 24, 2010 at 2:16 pm
  51. Gennifer

THATS NOT RIGHT DOR THE 11 YEAR OLD CHILD TO SERVE TIME FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE CAUSE THE PARENTS SHOULD HAVE NOT LEFT THE 2 YEAR OLD THERE WITH THAT CHILD... THE OTHER THING IS THAT THE 11 YEAR OLD NEED A BABYSITTER HER SELF!!!

September 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm
  52. jackie atkinson

I think NANCY GRACE is a GOD send to us.
    She is brillant!! A very Beautiful person inside AND out.

The 11 year old child should not serve life in prison. However, she still needs to be greatly punished, afterall she did hurt that baby.
    The babys mother and the 11 year olds parents need to severe life in prison.

September 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm
  53. Juliet

Lets assume that this 11 year old did kill the 2 year old. First children model the behvior that they experience. If this 11 year old was being abused or at least suffered severe corporal punishment, its only normal that she does the same when she cares for another child. Second, its proposterous to leave a toddler with someone under the age of 15! How cn an 11 year old handle an emergency situation? I feel sorry for both children – apparently neither one of them will have a proper childhood.

September 24, 2010 at 4:56 pm
  54. Maureen

Some kids are crazy murderous little things, look up mary bell. Or those boys who scooped up a toddler and led him away and killed him, those boys were 11. Maybe the kid did do it and does need to be taken into custody and given..help. Whatever help is available at this point.

But you dont leave a 2 year old with an 11 year old. Not even the sweetest natured 11 year old in the world. Not that most of them would beat a kid to death just things happen–babies and toddlers seem programmed to find the most dangerous things they can do - eat a quarter, explore the mysterious land under the sink, fall onto anything with a hard corner. It can be panicky and trying to watch a 2 year old when you are her own mother and kids get hurt even being watched by responsible adults.

September 24, 2010 at 7:38 pm
  55. Jenn

This is terriable The parents should be responsiable. I seriously doubt that this 11 yr old sat there and tourtured this baby. If anything happened it was probably an accident the 11 yr old panicked and didnt know what to do. 2 yr olds can be a hand full they try to climb on top of things. Ive slipped down the stairs with my 2 year old, he hit his head on the conner of the open van door, gashed his head open and had to get stitches. It took me years for my mom to convince me that i wasent a bad mother,accidents happen. I knew to get my baby and rush him to the hospital as fast as possible, but if something happened to this baby weather she feel or what the 11 yr old would not have nessicerly known how to handle the situation. And like above commets the baby could have been in this state b4 being dropped off at the baby sitter. This poor 11 year old will never be able to get over this SHE WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE, THIS WAS AN ACCIDENT THAT THE PARENTS COULD HAVE PREVENTED AND SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR

September 24, 2010 at 8:00 pm
  56. elizabeth

Children do not possess the capacity to think or act as an adult. Children should not be charged as adults. An 11 year old is able to babysit only very short periods. Of his kid really did the crime then she needs help.

September 25, 2010 at 2:12 am
  57. Kristie

I babysit a 6 month old little boy. I am very protective of him. I keep my eyes on him. I am responsible for that little boy while he is in my care. I think this babysitter should get punished. With that said, what in the world is a 13 year old doing babysitting such a small child?!? People need to take better care of their children. God gave us these children for a reason and we are supposed to treat them like the blessings they are!!!

September 25, 2010 at 2:30 am
  58. Kristie

Sorry, I read that wrong. It is worse than I thought. That child is 11 not 13!!! That is CRAZY!!!!!

September 25, 2010 at 2:32 am
  59. Ayzia

I believe the 11 year-old should not be charged for life. She already is going to have to deal with the thought for the rest of her life. 2 years old is way to young to be left alone with out an adult around. Kids fall and scrap themselves all the time. So they say she fell off the bed. Accidents happen. It is sad that two families are with out their babies. It is very sad that lives were ended so early.

September 25, 2010 at 4:06 am
  60. GLORIA

An 11 year old child needs a babysitter herself. There is negligence on the part of the parent for allowing an 11 yo to watch the baby girl, aside from the crimes of the 11 yo. I totally agree with the post of Gennifer.

September 25, 2010 at 9:20 am
  61. lori

This story just has me so angry. I am a mother of an 11 yr old girl and all I keep thinking is what is going on in this 11 yr olds home that had her so angry to beat a 2yr to death. I also have 4 other little boys who of course aggravate the hell out of there sister but she wouldnt do more then yell at them and run and lock herself in a room..I just dont get it and honestly I feel she should be punished but so should her parents.

September 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm
  62. Elizabeth

I do not think that the 11 year old should be charged with murder. When are parents going to be resposible for making wrong choices? Personally, I would never leave my child with an eleven year old baby sitter. I believe that there should be a law put into effect in holding parents responsible when making the wrong choice and when an accident could have been prevented. Why would anyone with the right mind leave an eleven year old to care for a child? You can not have a baby caring for a baby...its just not right!!! HOLD THE MOTHER LIABLE!!

September 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm
  63. Cristy

How does anyone know the injures to the baby were done by the parents or someone else and it just took awhile to kill her. I mean what did the 11 year old do. I think it was someone else that harmed that baby.

September 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm
  64. shirley

The mother of 2yr old and the mother of the 11yr old need to be in jail because that baby needed to put in daycare , not kept by a 11yrs old

September 25, 2010 at 1:52 pm
  65. karla

The mother of the child that was "killed" is responsible for her poor judgement in leaving her 2yr old in the care of an 11 year old child. After all the facts have be looked into, that baby is still dead.... If a mother had left her 2yr old and 11yr old home alone, child services would be there in a heartbeat to remove both children from that home, for endangering the lives of two minors.... Responsibility and copability is on the shoulders of the 2yr old mother. May that beautiful baby rest in peace.

September 25, 2010 at 2:03 pm
  66. Libby

I agree, an 11 year old should NOT be babysitting. My mother was a mess because she was very young when I was born. As punishment for my existence she made me start babysitting at age 13. I had no siblings and no training. No one was ever hurt by me, but I was terrified I would do something wrong. (not feeding them properly, not knowing when to change a diaper, etc.) This was my mothers way of making me not want to have children, and I quote, "I hope this turns you off to sex and the idea of ever having any children." There are a lot of sick tickets out here, but we all have choices to make. Harming a child in any way should be highly prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Children are helpless at the hands of any adult.

September 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm
  67. Donna-detroit

I am praying for that little girls family and i am really upset at the fact that the blame is being put on this 11yr old. If the 11yr olds mother was suppose to watch that baby hen she should be held accountable also not just that little girl, i feel there is more to this story and someone should speak up because that little innocent beautiful baby girl lost her life because someone could not control their temper. Regardless of the law you will have to face jesus christ when it comes judgment day because that was a wrongful and unjustice doing to that baby. She did not deserve that and the mother of that baby should be just as guilty because that could not have been the first time that child has been beat for an outcome like this. May God have mercy on everyones soul.

September 25, 2010 at 11:47 pm
  68. melissa

she should be charged.I dont think its rite if she isnt.when you leave your children with someone even family,the children are so inocant and trusting, to think a sick rattle brain i dont care,could hurt them is plain grounds for punishment. i belive we as adults are the voices for the young they cant be heard so why not speak for them and all try to protect them.

September 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm
  69. melissa

WHY BLAME THE MOTHER. SURE SHE WAS WRONG FOR LEAVING THE 11 YR OLD BUT THE 11 YEAR OLD KNEW WHAT SHE WAS DOING WHEN SHE HARMED THE TOT
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SO YES IAM 110% ALL FOR CONVICTION

September 26, 2010 at 1:46 pm
  70. jj

This death is the moms fault. Why is she not serving the time for her daughter's death?? The mom was negligent. She left her two year old with an eleven year old (not legal).. This is what can happen she should serve time for child neglect...

September 26, 2010 at 2:17 pm
  71. LUZMIYAH

@ KAREN...I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING...SOMETHING IS STRONGLY SUSPICIOUS IN THIS...I AGREE!!!

September 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm
  72. Angela

Okay 1st off why did the mother of Zeyda White also an eleven year old to watch her two year old daughter in the 1st place, an 2nd i think her mother should be charge with neglected or something because she is just as Guilty as the eleven year old....I myself have three beautiful little girls who are the ages of 3,2,and 7 months an i have a very hard time allowing another adult watching my kids because Its hard 2 trust anyone with my kids.When she decided 2 have this child (ZEYDA WHITE) she took on the responsiblitys to be a mother.which means all the things she did before she had no kid she has to scarifices now that she dose have a kid..If she couldn't find a decent adult or at least older than eleven to watch her daughter than what ever it was that she had to do wasn't that important to put your childs life in danger

September 26, 2010 at 5:02 pm
  73. STEPHANIE LANTHIER

why aint the parents being charged because who leaves a 2 year old with a 11 year old use ur brains

September 26, 2010 at 9:35 pm
  74. D Love

This is a very tough thing for both families to have to have to deal with now. Not only did one family have to deal with the death of their child but another family may have to deal with the loss of their child to the criminal justice system. I could only hope that a case like this for the child stays within the juvenile court system!

September 26, 2010 at 10:43 pm
  75. ppl are dumb

why do ppl switch blame away from the sitter just cuz her age and i think their also fact in gender i think she did abuse the 2yr if it was the parents or other person the 11yr would said something and yes u shouldnt leave an kid watch other kid but you ppl make sound as if the parents dersver lose their baby i belive its an honest mistake.

September 27, 2010 at 2:25 am
  76. JoZGirl

The MOTHER of the baby should be incarcerated herself! What was she thinking leaving a 2 yr old wth a 11 yr old? I have a 3yr old and a 11 yr old daughter and i would NEVER think of it! What an idiot!

September 27, 2010 at 10:49 am
  77. Dee

I have to say that there are some 11 year-olds who are quite responsible, and could very well care for a small child. Don't forget that there are PARENTS who are as young as 10 years old. HOWEVER, if this child did hurt the toddler, than this 11 year old has mental issues that have been obviously overlooked and should never have been left to care for a baby.
    Otherwise, don't categorize all 11 year olds as irresponsible, hurtful babysitters because as we all know, GROWN WOMEN have been charged with this type of crime too!
    I pray for both those little girls, and hope that there is more to this story which incriminates someone other than the 11 year old.

September 27, 2010 at 11:13 am
  78. Sylvia and Wendy

You don't leave an 11yr old in charge of a 2yr old, So what kind of punishment should the mother get? The mother is the one who is responsible for who watches her 2yr old child. The whole situation is Sad, I believe some kind of punishment should be brought to the 11yr old but lets put the responsibility on the mother, no responsible mother that I know would of had a child watch a child....There are laws for children watching children, but I don't believe its at 11...Check on that..

September 27, 2010 at 11:44 am
  79. TERRIE WHITFIELD

why in the world would a grown woman leave her two year old child with an 11 year old child and assume that the 11 year olds mother is going to be there the entire time? Furthermore, the co-worker is just as responsible for the two year old being that she agreed to let the 11 year old watch the baby. The toddler's mother should be questioned as to why she would have an 11 year old who more than likely has no formal training in babysitting to watch her child. The 11 year olds mother needs to be trying to get her daughter some psychiatric help to determine why she did this horrible crime. Also, how do they know that it was the 11 year old who killed the baby and the 11 year olds mother had nothing to do with it. This was a situation where the adults need to take some of the blame also.

September 27, 2010 at 3:44 pm
  80. tammy

ok i would never let my 11 year watch a baby by herself first off yes she needs to be punished but so does the mother i don't believe her when she said there was supposed to be an adult there i think she is tryingto cover for her reckless parenting i think she should also be punished my 11 year old is very responsible but i still would not let her baby sit by herself

September 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm
  81. kaycee

i don't care who says what, that little girl is WAY to young to babysit. and if the mother was letting her babysit, then does she not realize she was putting the 11 year old child in her BABY'S care??!! This little girl more and likely did not have a child hood, her mother probably made her grow up WAY before her time. Her mother should be put in jail!! so should the 2 year old's mother....

September 27, 2010 at 7:52 pm
  82. Deborah

Pregnant Mom stabbed to death:
    It is my theory that the murderer was also having an affair with the father ande was jealous over the baby about to be born. (?) Mad as hell at the two of them (boyfriend and nurse) and killed them both. Even if the cousin was mentioned, it still could have been a relationship going on.

September 27, 2010 at 9:11 pm
  83. Amy

I understand the mother of the dead child's sorrow; however I cannot agree that the 11 year old should spend the rest of her life behind bars. Both of the parents should spend the rest of their life behind bars for even allowing an 11 year old to babysit another child that young. How could you even begin to call yourself a responsible parent and leave such young kids alone. I think it is a tragedy, but that little 11 year old should not suffer for the adults' decisions. She probably has no idea what is going on, and she will suffer the rest of her life in having to go through this stressful ordeal. God rest that dead little girl's soul. Bless her family and ease their grief.

September 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm
  84. Becky L

Who leaves a 2yr old w/an 11yr old anyway? Come on people! It constantly amazes me that people can be so ignorant & irresponsible, then want to blame everyone else when something tragic happens as a result. I realize @ 11yrs old kids know right from wrong, but they still don't have the necessary tools to control their emotions. I mean...@ that age, kids are still having tantrums. How can they possibly be expected to deal w/the tantrums of a 2yr old?
    I'm also not convinced the 11yr old is totally responsible for this death. Isn't it possible there was already abuse & the child happened to be the one there when it finally became too much?

September 28, 2010 at 10:57 am
  85. Plain Clothes Hero

This is a terrible situation for all involved. I remember when I was 11 I babysat for a neighbors infant daughter but now that I am a mother myself I would never think about it. How times have changed. Personally, i think the 11yo might have caused harm but most definitely not intentionally. Perhaps they were playing and she didn't realize how rough she was...or maybe she truely did fall...or maybe she tried repremanding her and took it too far. Either way, I don't feel this 11 yo did intentional harm to that baby. Should she still be held accountable? I think so....but not for murder. I think the baby's mother should feel some repercussions as well.

And Shannon...please reread your submission. There is no such thing as an "excape goat." I think what you meant to write, which was extremely hard to decipher, was scape goat. Thanks.

September 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm
  86. mary jo bridges

why would any parent leave thier young child ,with a child that surely is still young thierself. In the state of tn. and fl. you are not allowed to baby set until you are the age of 12, an must be responsable. To me personaly even 12 is not old enough to be taking care of a young child all weekend long. I fell that both parents of both girls are some what responsable.

September 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm
  87. barbees doll

the lack of supervision should be examined. seriously 11yrs old? the adults should be locked up not the child.

September 28, 2010 at 9:49 pm
  88. Cynthia

I think they need to verify the babysitters MOTHER's whereabout's. Has anyone looked into the idea that perhaps it wasn't the babysitter that harmed the baby. Could it have been the babysitter's mother? Maybe she left after she harmed the baby and left the mess in her daughter's hands, thinking that her minor child wouldn't get in as much trouble as she would. Something to think about.
    Cynthia (from Lititz PA)

September 29, 2010 at 12:39 am
  89. Ali Martinez

I think that the young girl should pay for what she did. Although n 11 yr old should never be left with a baby. The 11 year old knows right from wrong and the life she took of that precious little girl she should pay for the rest of her own.

September 29, 2010 at 9:04 am
  90. Winona Mississippi

Will we just had a situation similar to this one in the small town of Winona Mississippi. Where the mom left a 12 year olds home to watch a 1 year old baby where a 50 inch T.V. fell on his head. If the mom was home watching there own children instead of out in the street doing lord no what. Bad things is going to happening.

September 29, 2010 at 11:02 am
  91. Becca

Obviously, bad choices were made and a baby was killed. Seems to me that their are some mental health issues on all parties involved. Children don't abuse others unless they are being abused themselves. I do leave my 13 year old alone with my 6 year old and my 10 year old no more than an hour or two, I can't imagine leaving them for more than that, not at 11 years. That is irresponsible, no matter how mature. Bottom line is a baby was killed, and another baby is life ruined. Thats just sad.

September 30, 2010 at 5:16 am
  92. Aaron Hall

I am a 17 yr old and even i know it should be the mother's responsibility, she needs to be facing child neglect charges. I am certain that it is against the law to leave a child in the care of another child.

September 30, 2010 at 9:37 am
  93. Disbeleiver

How do we know that this 11 year old child actually beat the 2yr old. I haven't heard anything in the news saying that this child admitted to anything except that the 2yr old fell out the bed. The parents of the 2yr old could have inflicted these injuries before leaving her in the care of the 11 year old. The fall off the bed could have just been the icing on the cake. It just seems kind of hard for me to believe that this little girl could inflict these type of injuries on someone else. I have an 11 yr old boy myself and a 2yr old nephew and to watch them together makes it hard for me to believe that this could happen. I'm not saying that it isn't possible,I'm just saying maybe the parents of the children involved need to be looked at.

September 30, 2010 at 11:07 am
  94. Kendra

I just was wondering who was actually paid to watch the two year old child??? Maybe the mother asked the friend to watch her child and the friend thought her 11year old daughter was capable to watch the child on her own...However, it didnt sound like the two mothers were friends just co-workers and I am a mother myself and would never leave my child with any of my co-workes especially if we have just work relationship. I think the victims mother have alot of questions to answer.

September 30, 2010 at 12:48 pm
  95. Angeles

What is this world coming too? Children killing children.

September 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm
  96. min_min

why do they have an 11yr old babysitting? I mean she is only a baby herself!!!!

October 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm
  97. Ariana

Why would a mother allow a child watch a child.Shouldn't that be a crime.

October 1, 2010 at 5:33 pm
  98. Rhonda

I agree,.. an 11 yr old babysitting!??
    The parents are at fault as well,... any charges?

October 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm
  99. Tara

This case is such a mess. 11 years old is pretty young to babysit but i was only 11 when i had to babysit my baby sister for long nights while my mother went out for the night and i made it through but i don't think i could trust any 11 year old with my son which is 3. It takes a very mature minded 11 year old to babysit but i find the mother pretty crazy to allow her child to be babysat by a young child.

October 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm
  100. Maria Minton

The 11yr old is just a baby herself, an 11yr old is not mature or responsible enough to babysit a baby at any age!! Both mother's need to share some of the responsibility for this baby's death and not use the 11yr old as a scape goat!!

October 2, 2010 at 8:07 am
  101. Mizzez

i am the aunt of zeyda's father and i just want to say this is a terrible tradgedy. father has already suffered the untimely death of both his parents within years of each other now he loses his only child. let's remember to pray for all who have been affected by the death of this baby and not be to swift to pass judgement. the truth is no one will ever really know what happened toher than the 11 year old and the baby that gone now. so i think the 11 yr old should be punished yes but she also needs help.maybe they should look into what led her to beat a baby to death.was she herself being abused? who or what has she been exposed to? i'm not condoning what she did but all areas of this should be looked into.

October 2, 2010 at 10:20 am
  102. Justin

The mother is partially to blame for this. You don't leave an 11 year old CHILD at home to babysit. That is crazy

October 2, 2010 at 1:34 pm
  103. ali

I dont even let my 11 year old stay alone more than an hour let alone be reponisble for another human.

October 2, 2010 at 5:00 pm
  104. Emily

I say the 11 year old goes to jail for a looong time. She killed that baby. Its murder. Everyone needs to stop saying this 11 year is a child and doesnt know better, blah blah, because YES she does. The 2 year old is the one that doesnt know any better.

October 3, 2010 at 9:39 am
  105. Tracie

I started babysitting when I was 10. Of course that was back over 20 years ago when all the neighbors knew one another and we could check up on each other to make sure things were okay. Some kids are more mature for their age than some, I feel like I was one of those. I would never hurt a child. It is a different time these days. I have a 6 year old and would never in my mind ever leave a child to watch her. I know it sounds hypocritical, but like I said, it is a different time now. Kids these days have too many other things to distract them...sad but true.

October 4, 2010 at 4:20 am
  106. mel

You lets a 11yrs old CHILD baby sit???? the mother is at fault....

October 5, 2010 at 2:49 am
  107. Smith

This is ridiculous!!!! Why was a 11yr old allowed to watch a 2yr old, with no supervision? I think both mothers should be charged with her murder!!!! 11 is way too young to have that much responsibility put on her!!! RIP to that sweet baby girl...

October 5, 2010 at 10:50 am
  108. COOKIE19

I truly the mothers should she responsiblity. I saw on tv, the babysitter's mom was not even home when her daughter was to supposed to babysit. Why would you leave the toddler with a child without an adult around? That's who should have been watching the children. The mom feels she had no decision in this tragedy whatsoever but she is terribly wrong. Why did she a sitter that bad? If you can't find a suitable person to watch you child then you keep your butt home, no excuses.

October 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm
  109. Ms Elegance

It is my belief that an eleven year old should not be responsibile for watching a two year old child. The mothers of both the children have demonstrated their ability to be responsible parents at their age.
    Personally, I think that the eleven year old has been used as an escape goat for the two year old child's death. It is a sad day when parents are so negligent and yet children are held responsible for behaving like responsible adults.

October 6, 2010 at 10:37 am
  110. Ms Elegance

It is my belief that an eleven year old should not be responsibile for watching a two year old child. The mothers of both the children have demonstrated their lack of ability to be responsible parents at their age.

October 6, 2010 at 10:44 am
  111. amanda

I am a mother of 2 boys, my oldest is 2 and my youngest is 1. I would never ever leave my baby with an 11 year old. I wouldnt leave my kids with a teenager let alone a child thats only 11. Why isnt the mom being held accountable ? I think she should be charged with child endangerment, who in their right mind leaves a baby with a kid?? That poor little 11 year old would never even be in this situation had it not been for the mother of beautiful baby Zeyda. That woman should be ashamed of her self wanting that child to do hard time. I would like to know what she thought that little girl was gonna do if something happened to the baby-such as this? The child doesnt even know what to do for her self in case of an emerrgency. I think that if you arent old enough to be emancipated you shouldnt be allowed to watch a child. I have known people that let 12 year old and 13 year olds watch their kids and neighbors would find out and call the police and the mother would be arrested for CHILD ENDANGERMENT. I think this mother should be the one doing hard time..

October 7, 2010 at 1:39 pm
  112. Sunny McGraw

Who in the hell is this mother, who let an 11 y/o little girl (and I stress little), to talk about this child doing hard time for the rest of her life? SHE allowed this girl to babysit her 2 y/o. The mother needs to be held partly accountable for the death of her own daughter, as well. HOW DARE SHE blame the death of her daughter on this child, when she as a mother should have KNOWN BETTER.

October 7, 2010 at 6:18 pm
  113. ashley pennix

in my opinion why would a mother leave there eleven year old child with a two year child,i mean that just doesnt make since.

October 8, 2010 at 8:26 am
  114. sarah

Hey i think its the 11 yr olds,11 year olds parents and the mother of this poor baby girl.Theese parents should be ashamed of there actions of letting a 11 yr old babysit a 2 year old!! I just can't imagine what this poor baby girl went through before she died!! I think all three should be punished.. The 11 yr old is the last one to see/know what happened to zeyda. The parents of the 2 y/o and 11 y/o. The death of Zeyda all could of beeN AVOIDED.I think 11y/o is to young to babysit.

October 8, 2010 at 9:36 pm
  115. P Walker

What was going on with these women that they would leave an 11 year old to watch a toddler? A toddler is too much for most adults and would be definately too much for an 11 year old to watch. I have an 11 year old and I wouldn't allow her to watch anyone's child. 11 year olds play with dolls and have no idea what to do with a living being. What were they thinking? BOTH mothers need to go to jail. Did they get a good autopsy to see what other injuries there were? I wouldn't be suprise if they find more. The baby's mother failed her. She didn't provide adequate care for her. I don't believe this little girl did this.

October 8, 2010 at 10:11 pm
  116. mother of two young girls

ITS HARD FOR ME TO THINK OF MY 11YEAR OLD TO HAVE TO FACE A SITUATION LIKE THIS.THESE DAYS I'M TOO AFRAID FOR MY 11YR OLD AND 13YR OLD TO BABY SIT EVEN WITH ME THERE TO SUPERVISE THEM.ACCIDENTS CAN HAPPEN WITH TODDLERS JUMPING AROUND PLAYING AND FALL AND GET HURT.BUT WHEN THE INJURY IS DEADLY AN ACCIDENT TURNS INTO A MURDER CASE.USUALLY A FALL FROM THE BED ISN'T DEADLY DEPENDING HOW A CHILD LANDS ON THE FLOOR. IF MOST PEOPLE WERE EDUCATED ABOUT THE SIGNS AND SYMPTONS OF SERIOUS INJURIES TO THE HEAD THEY WOULD GET HELP.INSTEAD THEY WAIT TOO LATE AND THE WORST HAPPENS.THEN THEY USE LIE DETECTOR TEST AND THE PERSON USUALLY FELL CAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID TO ADMIT THEY MAY HAVE GAVE THE CHILD A SPANKING IN THE PAST.SO IT MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE THEY ARE LIEING.I DONT KNOW THE WHOLE STORY BUT IF IT WAS LATE AND SHE TRIED MAKING THE 2YR OLD GO TO BED MAYBE SHE DID FALL AND INJURE HERSELF AND THE 11YR OLD HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING SHE WAS HURT.IF SHE FELL FROM A CRIB THAT IS A HIGH PLACE TO FALL FROM.HAVING A 11YR OLD AND A 4YR OLD WHO SHE LIKE TO HELP WITH SINCE THE DAY HE WAS BORN HAVE NO SIGNS OR SHOW ANY BEHAVIOR IN HER TO HARM HER LITTLE BROTHER OR ANY OTHER LITTLE ONES.I DON'T BELIEVE THIS WAS A MURDER.IT WAS PROBABLY AN ACCIDENT FROM TWO KIDS PLAYING JUMPING ON THE BED AND A FALL TOOK PLACE.AND THE 2YR OLD MOM DIEING INSIDE FROM GUILT OF LEAVING HER DAUGHTER WITH ANOTHER KID UNSUPERVISED LOOKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO BLAME.WORRIED ABOUT WHAT FAMILY AND FRIENDS MAY THINK OF HER AND SHE RATHER ALL THE ANGER BE DIRECTED TOWARD THAT 11YR. OLD.FACE IT AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES EVEN THOUGH IT MAY HURT YOU BAD.

October 9, 2010 at 2:22 am
  117. Ruth

I never left my children with an 11 year to babysit. Not only that my children still had a babysitter at that age. Nor did they babysit at 11 years old for another family. How irresponsible for both sets of parents. This is bad parenting and now this child's life is a nightmare and another child lost her life. How sad.

October 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm
  118. J. Schmidt

Don't be so quick to judge. When my son was 7 months old he was sitting on a quilt on our living room carpeted floor; I stepped into the kitchen for one minute to put his bottle in the sink and in that time he fell over sideways and suffered a depressed skull fracture because I hadn't pushed all the toys far enough away and his head hit the round plastic top of a stack toy. He cried for about 10 seconds,. When I walked back into the living room he was laying on the quilt with the stack toy in his hands, chewing on it. We didn't find the depression until I gave him a bath and washed his hair that evening. Immediate frip to emergency room – I was almost arrested. Our son had suffered a "stovepipe" fracture right along a seam in the skull after falling over sideways from a sitting position on a soft surface. Surgery repaired his injury but I will always feel guilty. So, please don't condemn anyone and say it is impossible to have a serious head injury from a 3 foot fall – it is possible to have an injury from a slow one foot sideways tip-overl. No bruise, no blood, just a dent in the side of his head. That was 35 years ago and our son is now a husband and father, and I still carry the guilt of not pushing his toys far enough away from him.

October 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  119. Marci

Negligence is negligence plain and simple. Little ones need constant adult supervision.

October 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm
  120. LS

I started babysitting when I was 12, almost 13. Granted I was very mature for my age and took one of those babysitting classes. I was also babysitting a 4 year old for only a few hours, 2 doors away from my house (my parents were home). An 11 year old is too young to babysit. A mature 12 or 13 is OK but only for a 4 year old or older and then only for a short time with an adult around. Anyone babysitting a baby or toddler should be at least 15 or 16 (depending on the kid).

This is so sad. The 11 year old should get intensive counseling, probation, and community service as well as family counseling. The mother should be faced with neglect and child endangerment charges. Sending her to jail will only make her more likely to turn into a career criminal. One child is already dead. No need to kill another one!

PS. I strongly agree with laws that say a child under 13 or 14 years old can NOT be tried as an adult. It makes me sick to hear child of 11 or 13 years old being charged as adults and given life in prison! A 12 year old's brain is sooo much less developed than an 18 year old's. However, getting out at 21 shouldn't be automatic. They should have to prove that they can handle it. Intensive counseling programs actually work better than jailing kids.

October 16, 2010 at 1:21 pm
  121. Chicken

THE ELEVEN YEAR OLD SHUD BE CHARGED ! JUST LIKE ANY OTHER PERSON THE RULES STAY THE SAME ! MURDERING IS A CRIME ! SHE JUST TOOK SOMEONES LIFE AWAY ! THE MOM SHUD BE IN JAIL WIT THE ELEVEN YEAR OLD FOR SUCH A UNMINDED DECISION THT BOTH OF THEM WILL SUFFER FOR !

October 16, 2010 at 7:57 pm
  122. Madilene Torres

I was reading this story and WOW!!!! Very smart of this mother that left her child with a child to be baby sat....and now she want this child to be punished with some hard time for the rest of her life....WOW!!! am kinda speechless... But Is the mother of the deceased child going to face any child neglect charges since she was the one who put her daughters life in jeopardy when she took it upon herself to leave her child with another child instead of a responsible adult?Is it ok in the state of the incident to leave a baby or 2,3,4 or 5 year old with another child that needs to be watched themselves with the responsibility of babysitting?

October 19, 2010 at 8:13 pm
  123. Lisa

I feel this 11 year old girl knew what she was doing when she killed this baby girl and it should be punished like an adult it shouldnt matter what stae she lives in she commited a horrible crime

October 20, 2010 at 12:09 am
  124. carol

I think the mother should be put in jail cause she should not had a 11yr. old young girl babysitting her 2yr. old daughter that's what i think.

October 20, 2010 at 11:41 am
  125. m. hill

no disrespect but i also agree its the parents fault leaving the baby with a child that age she should b charge also and a parenting class i do have sympthy but the bottom line she was irresponsible

October 21, 2010 at 1:55 am
  126. kari

The babysitter was way too young to manage taking care of a toddler. She is just a kid herself.

Uh, the mom was stupid enough to leave her child alone with an 11-year-old child!!! That was HER mistake. And the babysitter's mother should also take some of the blame for allowing her daughter to be responsible for another child in the first place. What the H@ll were they thinking?

That was extremely poor judgement by both of the adults. Don't heap all the blame on the kid!

October 21, 2010 at 8:48 am
  127. Jennifer Smith

I find this story to be very sad, however the mother couldn't possibly expect a judge or jury to lock the 11 yr old up past her 21st birthday. She is a child, and yes she should be punished as a child not an adult.

October 26, 2010 at 1:14 am