Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

Cops: Someone may be hiding missing girl, 12, and man on the run

Brittany Smith
Brittany Smith

The search for a missing 12-year-old Virginia girl Brittany Smith intensified Wednesday and authorities told local and national media they are following up on hundreds of calls, emails and tips that have been coming in.

Roanoke county Police Chief Ray Lavinder said about 50 federal, state and local law enforcement officers are investigating the disappearance of Brittany, who is endangered and believed to be with a 32-year-old man her mother met on the Internet.

Police have extended the Amber Alert for Brittany, whose mother, Tina Smith, was found dead in a suspected homicide on Monday morning. Authorities then began searching frantically for the seventh-grader.

Tina Smith’s time of death is very difficult to establish, Lavinder said, but it’s believed to be sometime around this past Friday. Authorities say they have Walmart surveillance video from Friday night of Brittany and Jeffrey Easley, who met Smith online and moved into her home in October.

Lavinder says bad weather and their need for food means someone may be illegally hiding Easley and Brittany if they are still in the region. Lavinder says there’s no information to suggest Easley had a hand in Smith’s death but said the investigation is ongoing.

Brittany’s Facebook account has not been used in the past few days, according to Lavinder, who said she and Easley ‘’dropped off the face of the earth.’’ Lavinder conceded this means police have no idea where they are.

Authorities said Easley bought a Blue Ozark Trail tent at Walmart along with other camping gear in the sporting goods section.

They said Easley has two tattoos, a red star and another black one and that he may be taking refuge in several states, including Alabama, Florida, North Carolina.

UPDATE:
Exclusive: A Witness who saw missing 12-year-old girl Brittany Smith and the man suspected of kidnapping her recognized the two based on images she saw on Nancy Grace.
Click here for video

Post by:
Filed under: Story Updates
  1. rick

I truely believe that she has just as much to do with this as he does. You stated tonight 12/8/10 that they were spotted in a walmart buying a tent..etc...... If she wanted to she could have yelled and ran and she could have had help from as many peole that walmart has. She did not look like she was scared at all. I believe she nows everything about her mom being killed. You stated she changed her last name to his on face book.......Doesn't make sense to me. How come walmart did not ask for I.d on the card....I would guess that the girl signed for it.....ck more cameras at the check out. I think both are in on it and she is helping him out.....Both should be charged in a criminal court

December 8, 2010 at 8:41 pm
  2. Bob

May have been seen at Sam's in Johnson City , TN

December 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm
  3. jojo

They need to be examining the gas records for the mothers car. They can follow the trail if he bought gas or not and estimate a perimeter for where the car could have gotten if he is using the credit card. Im sure they are checking for the credit card trail. I would be looking on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It has access to all the states listed in the Amber Alerts, but is the first place I thought of for some reason, when they said he purchased a tent. Hope they find her soon. It's sickening.

To the point of the Child and Family services, these DSS and Child and Family Services, need a major overhaul. Those employees that had any knowledge of this should all be FIRED. GONE. And so should their supervisors. DSS, THIS IS YOUR JOB! DO YOUR JOB! Sadly enough, it's not surprising. I'm not sure what the protocol is for them to actually pursue phoned in reports. Do they have the authority to just come into someone's home after a report? Regardless, I don't think DSS and Child Protective Services are the people to call. I think I would have called the Police directly as opposed to calling DSS. It may not have prevented what has happened, but at least the Police would have been in the loop. It makes me wonder if the Police had been called, would things have turned out differently? Sadly, it probably would not have been.

December 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm
  4. keith

you should put the license plate number of the mom's car that he stole on the t.v. so that people can look out for the car... and by the way. the tip line is always busy and its kinda hard to leave tips when you can't get through. just so you know.

December 8, 2010 at 8:51 pm
  5. Paul Cannon

Brittany's mother had a 2005 Dodge Neon, Virgina TAG number:
    XKF-2365.

Please post that information, along with pictures of Jeffret Scott Easley.

Photos of Jeffrey on facebook:

AND

December 8, 2010 at 9:37 pm
  6. Jenny

I was wondering what was behind the guys back in the missing teens walmart picture. It seems that he is hiding something with his left hand.

December 8, 2010 at 10:12 pm
  7. JH

Here is something very odd – the girls' father is a police officer from what I've heard. Did he know a relatively unknown man was living in the household with his daughter and ex? Speaking from experience, any cop would thoroughly check out a man from nowhere who suddenly is living in the household. Is it possible he was so detached from the girl that he didn't know another man was living in the house for 4 weeks or more?

Second, he fits the profile of a pedophile just about to a T – how can they say they vanished? They are surrounded by national forest land – time to get some heat sensing equipment up in the air?

December 8, 2010 at 10:27 pm
  8. Julie

I know this is a bit off subject but as a former Walmart store manager I am a little discouraged that with a high profile case like this why would Walmart not have had this little girls picture at every register. They have a missing childrens board at each store but something this local to the Roanoke area you would think that Walmart would have wanted to take some additional steps to ensure that this little girl is found. Those stores see an average of 3000 customers a day and exposure is critical in saving this little girls life. It sickens me that this little girl was in a local Walmart store and not one associate or customer recognized her.

December 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm
  9. Meredith

I am watching Nancy right now talk about the 12 year old girl from Virginia who is missing after her mother was found dead. A thought comes to mind especially after the family has reported some behavior from the male towards the 12 year old. What if the 12 year old is involved in this and left with the mom's boyfriend willingly. It has been known to happen. It is a 50/50 chance she was involved secretly with the mom's boyfriend and the only way to be together was to kill the mother.

December 8, 2010 at 10:46 pm
  10. Jess

I hate to be negative, but has anyone entertained the idea that maybe this girl is in on all of this? I know consent does not matter due to her age but that is all the more reason for them to hide out (especially if someone is hiding them).

The news mentioned some very disturbing things that she posted on her facebook in the days leading up to this. I remember hearing that she was using his last name on her profile? There was also a post stating "I love you handcuff buddy" or something like that, and that she was referring to Easley? Doesn't anyone else find this nickname super disturbing??? I know she's only 12 but she doesn't necessarily look so innocent in some of the pictures they are circulating....

December 8, 2010 at 11:02 pm
  11. Anne V.

After expressing her fears, authorities being contacted to no avail can you imagine that Britney felt she could trust that no one wanted to hear her plea nor wanted to help her. Where are our police, our authorities, or family members who she could contact, her school officials or classmates anyone that saw her on a daily basis that SHOULD have saved her long before she was taken by this man. All children should have someone they can TRUST to tell their fears to and be protected. What are we as FAMILIES doing? Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, older sisters or brothers SHOULD KNOW What their LOVED ONES are afraid of in this world. THAT IS WHAT LOVE IS ALL ABOUT,
    BEING ABLE TO TRUST and for all children to have HOPE. People we have fallen far short of our duty. After they are abducted or killed is tooo late people.

December 8, 2010 at 11:02 pm
  12. Nathaniel

I am an ex-employee of Salem / Roanoke County Department of Social Services. Brittany Mae Smith is the missing / abducted girl from Salem, VA. I worked as a Social Worker and Investigator for that Chilld Protective Services division. I can answer any questions that Nancy may have about the investigation process of that department. That department is corrupt. I was forced to abruptly resign from my position there. I had a record of aggressively investigating child abuse / neglect cases; however, I was repeatedly disciplined for my work. That county has a sad record of going out of its way to cut costs by preventing removals of children and placing them into foster care. The county also has it's PR objectives. That CPS department's investigation process intentionally limits the threshold for "validation" of child abuse / neglect complaints. . I hope that Nancy can promote change.

December 9, 2010 at 12:06 am
  13. Nathaniel Reed

I was a Social Worker for Roanoke County Department of Social Services and conducted investigations and assessments for child protective services for Smith's home town. That department is completely corrupt. An example.. I got into trouble for showing up at homes for investigations without calling the families first. When I argued that this makes for a more accurate investigation, I was warned never again to do so. I fear that the child abuse reporting system for Brittany Smith's district failed that child. Roanoke County DSS will likely remain staffed with poorly educated, inexperienced, lazy, and underpaid Social Workers.

December 9, 2010 at 12:41 am
  14. Monica Crowder

It is a sad time in America. Why must women be so trusting of men they barely know. My heart aches 4 all the innocent children.

December 9, 2010 at 1:26 am
  15. salyne

After viewing pictures of Brittany ...she does resemble Katie Holmes..she has her eyes...if anything...this should attract attention.....even if her hair has been cut...it is all about her unique eyes....just my thoughts....ss

December 9, 2010 at 1:43 am
  16. Beth

May I bring a case up ...Charles Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate...she was only 14 at the time, her mother, and father , and baby sister were killed by Charles, she ran off with him on a killing spree througout Nebraska....she was infautated with him...he was older...this case reminds me a lot of them....a public place like Walmart and she doesnt try to get attention.....I just dont buy it....hope Im wrong....but....

December 9, 2010 at 7:06 pm
  17. joelle

I am a single mom with 2 kids at home, you cannot let any man you've been dating for a few months move in like that , you simply CANNOT..Too many freaks out there , just watch Nancy Grace once a week only it will give you a clear idea about what goes on these days..Internet dating?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

December 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm
  18. Virginia

The Easley guy is from Ayden NC. Channel 12 news WCTI reported on this and stated they found out he has a criminal record and was a very troubled child and tried to commit suicide several times when he was younger.

December 9, 2010 at 8:09 pm
  19. Krys

I do not believe that she is in on this but I am wondering if she has a cell phone and if so can it be traced?

December 9, 2010 at 8:18 pm
  20. jaci

WHAT ARE WOMEN THINKING WHEN THEY MOVE GUYS INTO THEIR HOMES...ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY HAVE SMALL CHILDREN ??????

December 9, 2010 at 8:24 pm
  21. Kath

In reference to Nathaniel, this is exactly what I was saying about the DSS in the Zahra case. Actually there are several cases lately that can be related to DSS not following through. I worked for 30 years in the Health Care Industry, working close with agencies like CPS, DSS, and Human Services for the Developmentaly Disabled. The one thing I leard through the years was: when Policies and Proceedures are not followed, people fall through the cracks. Until these agencies are held acountable for their neglect, we will keep hearing cases like this and others. I find it sad that our Country is spending Billions of dollars to make sure Iraqians don't go around killing each other, but funds for Human Services in America keep getting cut. Our Presidentual Agency needs to take a step back and rethink,,, are we going to continue to send money to Iraq, or save American children. These cases, that are being reported daily, should be automatically sent to the morning meeting in the White House. Like I said in the Zahra case, send a challange to the President, save America's children at all cost.

December 9, 2010 at 8:40 pm
  22. Donna Lake

People please think.....a 12 year old girl whisked away by a criminal. this man has probably manipulated the girl into posting the things she did regarding his last name. he could now be pimping her out to other pedophiles who would be more than happy to help him. She coudl have been sold in to the sex trade. Think people think!!!!! This family was vulnerable after the accidental death of the son/brother the parents divorced, the mother was such an easy target in her lonliness and greif. We must save this poor girl!!! Watch for pictures on the internet, watch your neighborhood, watch street corners, THIS IS GOING TO TURN OUT VERY BADLY FOR THE POOR CHILD.

December 9, 2010 at 8:50 pm
  23. linda

RESPONSE TO:
    Jenny December 8th, 2010 10:12 pm ET

LINDA

I DONT THINK IT IS ANYTHING IN HIS HAND. TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE A BOTTOM OF A SIGN STANDING ON THE FLOOR. I MAY BE WRONG BUT MAYBE NOT.

December 9, 2010 at 8:53 pm
  24. Tiffany

Shame on those of you who have judged Brittany Smith. Shame on you assuming that a 12 year old girl has the maturity to make the decisions that a healthy adult would be capable of making. Shame on you for judging her actions in this situation. She's a child, you know from her friend's testimony that she was already scared, her mother is dead, and she's who knows where with some strange man. She could've ran in Walmart? What if you were threatened? What if your family was threatened? And what if..oh yes, what if you were 12 and you believed what you were told...Stop spending your time judging her and look for her. We all want her home for Christmas..

I'm from Salem, VA so this story has really hit home as I am a mother myself. Please know that we are all praying for your safe return home Brittany...

December 9, 2010 at 8:53 pm
  25. Donna Lake

After reading the comments of some of you............for shame. Has anyone been 12 years old? You can't make a rash decision. She is a beautiful young girl not even a teenager! She most likely had plenty of boys (not men!!) who liked her. Why would she want this fat lazy piece of crap. He kidnapped her. He is doing unspeakable acts and may decide it is too hard to travel with her, kill her, and dump her in a swamp as alligator food. But please keep blaming the girl I'm sure is the brains behind all of it ....................... NOT.

December 9, 2010 at 8:56 pm
  26. Gail Shaw

watched tonights show I,m from Pittsfield Mass.I do not beleave the mother had any idea of what he was going do, I beleave she would have told someone what he was up to if it involved her daughter. God help her return safe. Todays world is not the same as years ago. we are praying for her return.

December 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm
  27. Laverne Pennie

How long was it before authorities found out when this fool used the ATM CARD OF Brittany's mom. They should of set up road blocks. He can only travel so many miles per hour. The next thing this fool will do is drug her and have her giving up her body for money. This has to be a quick rescue,Brittany must be very frighten. When this little girl get's to be in the way ,he will kill her too. What can a 12 yr. old girl do. tHIS LITTLE GIRL WILL SLOW HIM DOWN,NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO FEED THEM BOTH.

This man probably is using this little girl to be a hostage when it is neccessary. This man has to go to sleep,he is probably parked behind a hotel or grocery store where there would be a lot of car AND NOT EASY TO SPOT.

This man i don't believe will just let police take him without trouble.
    This man would probably have to be fooled by a lady officer, someone who would appear easy prey.

Someone who would pretend to be on the run and could help fund thier escape. Make sure the little girl is out of the way and do what ever she has to do.

Give this sucker the death penalty,he will be on death row for 20 yrs. before they kill him using the tax payer's money .

There has been to many crimes against children, something has to be done. These dam crazy ass people need to be locked up for good.
    Give them a speedy trial and send them to HELL.

Have no MERCY on these criminals. People just do what ever they fell like doing now a day. Need to put a big fire under ther ass.

December 9, 2010 at 9:17 pm
  28. BornOnABarstool

I have nothing but questions on this one (usually I think I have all the answers).
    1.) What time of day was the Walmart video shot?
    2.) Was brittney in school that day? (Friday)
    3.)Both the Mother's car, and the alleged perp's SUV were driven away from the crime scene, Did Brit drive the mother's car?
    4.) The item he is holding behind his back in the WM video , ..... Handcuffs? ( re: her reference to him as " Handcuff Daddy")
    5.) "Nothing has gone right in my life" ..(her facebook entry) Well, let's just kill your mom and run away together?
    6.) The cause of the mothers death has not been released. Why Not?
    Method of death gives many clues to perpetrator.
    7.)How long can a 12 yr old girl camp in a tent? What clothing of hers is missing? Is her mother's purse missing , or just the credit cards?
    8.) If brittney was coerced into this plan , I am sure it is looking like a "bad idea " to her now. Will she try to leave clues or a trail? Leave clothing somewhere? Write a note in a public restroom? Make the car conspicuous by disabling the brake lights/turn signals?

Lots of questions , no answers

December 9, 2010 at 10:09 pm
  29. Joe

Just a thought here; but campgrounds are not the only place a tent would be used. I think the police should do more research what does this guy know what did he like to do. Why camping equipment? I do not think he would go camping in a public place knowing that his picture is everywhere. Police should think of this; did this guy like to hunt. Does he know areas that are desolate in the 5 states that have issued Amber alerts. A little more through investigation into his character is needed here. Also, not much is explained on how to identify him a couple of tattoos and blurry picture. I think more should be released about him and what he looks like. From what I can tell from what I have read, he seems to be unstable and knows his way around many states. He has a couple of ex wives and has lived in a few areas. So, where would one hide out in some of these towns. We also know he is a internet buff; how did he meet this girl on the web? Who else has he talked too? Is facebook disclosing any information on his account and his conversations that will lead us somewhere? Think out of the box...... I pray that they are found before more damage can be done to Brittney. It will take a long time to get over what she has already been through.

December 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm
  30. Portia G.

Seems like to me, it would be a good idea for them to have kept the girls moms credit card activated, so that the police could be closer on his trail.

December 10, 2010 at 1:25 am
  31. megan

why is her last name changed on FaceBook to his last name? im watching the show right now 12.9.10 & haven't heard why that is.

December 10, 2010 at 1:42 am
  32. Anon

Rick,

This girl is 12. Who knows what he's told her. And do you think it's okay for a man of that age to be with a 12 year-old, even if she is consenting? Just a question. I'd be interested in your answer.

December 10, 2010 at 1:50 am
  33. Kori

Odd to see somebody on here saying may have been seen at Sam's in Johnson City on the 8th. We just heard about this story this morning and my husband saw a grey tahoe with Virginia tags in Dyersburg, TN at Countryside Grocery store Dec. 7 between 3:20-3:50ish after school range. Called our local authorities to report.....not sure with it being Tues afternoon that it would help too much now. Praying for a safe return.

December 10, 2010 at 2:25 am
  34. phyllis

dss need to do batter.get better help and go out and do the work right.take the child of the home.work with the mother. if thy still not right let the child stay with some that will be a good GOD fearing person. brittany needing help. i hate this no man have a right to mass with a child. i hope to GOD she comes home safe with her families.every men need to get it cut off so they can not have sex with any child. and put away for life. iam mad we need to do something to keep our kids safe. one more thing do thay have aceller phone on them.

December 10, 2010 at 2:40 am
  35. Joan Skwarczynski

I THINK JEFF EASLEY WROTE THE CREEPY FACEBOOK PASSAGE.

It only makes sense that if that mother thought she was going to die because of the choices she made, she would have gotten her daughter out of there.

I think he wrote the facebook passage after he killed the mother as a message to the world about her poor choices for the heart.

Joan

December 10, 2010 at 3:14 am
  36. sheila

just watch nancy grace about brittany smith and i think that there needs to be amber alert in every state in the u.s.a.
    from what i understand there were last seen in moms silver dodge neon plate number XKF-2365 or a red chevy suv plate number
    XPR-4366 both are virginia plate's and to the wal-mart employees why do you put up missing children picture's if your not going to help them when they are right in front of you what if it was your child?..
    it take all of us to keep our children safe not just the parents!!!!!!!!
    it sickens me people think they can find true love on the internet when you can't really tell who or what they are. petafiles looks for lonely women and men to get to there children. wake-up parents your not alone GOD has gave you your children keep them safe.. my thoughts and prayers are with brittany family. thank you nancy your in my prayers as well..my family and I love you.

December 10, 2010 at 6:24 am
  37. Carolyn

Dear Mothers;

Don't let strangers around your children. You don't know them but you want your children to know them. You teach your children to stay away from strangers but you bring them into your home? Put your children first in your life not a man...be a mother first. Raise your children then have your own life, don't bring men in and out of your children's lives when you don't even know them yourselves.

Sincerely, Children's Guardian Angel

December 10, 2010 at 11:01 am
  38. Terry Parks

The abduction of Brittany Mae Smith and the following search illustrates the continuing failure by the Federal Agencies responsible for the management and operation of the main Executive Order National Program developed to help find-a-Missing-Child (the NALC/USPS Child Alert Program). Brittany's Missing Child Notice was supposed to be displayed in every Post Office in the country within 24 hours of her being reported missing, according to the written instructions and the original intent for this vital National Program. There's over 36,000 Post Offices in this country – the chances of locating a Missing Child would be greatly improved if Missing Children's posters were actually displayed in the "box lobby" and in the workroom floor areas, as they are intended. If all 118,000 plus mail carriers were on the look-out for Missing Children – as they are supposed to be, according to the written instructions for the Program – again the chances of locating a Missing Child would be greatly improved. When is the media going to expose this horrendous Federal failure and help protect our children?

December 10, 2010 at 11:07 am
  39. karen

The mother has a part in this. She brought the man into the home and could probably sense the inappropriate relationship. The child is a minor and should b protected from this, however, she appears to have gone willingly with the abductor and probably had a hand in the murder. I knew a similar family who allowed their daughter to sleep with a 40 year old man, authorities were called and they gave permission and nothing was ever done about it. It is disgusting. But the deceased mother is also to blame for all of this.

December 10, 2010 at 12:02 pm
  40. Lance

Sorry to repeat the obvious...
    We had a similar case up here in Canada a few years back. Parents and baby brother murdered, daughter vanishes. Turns out she was the one who talked her boyfriend into the crime because her parents disapproved of the relationship. Combine that with her facebook name change and this case is a lot less than meets the eye. We should be worried about Easley but terrified about "poor little" Brittnay.

December 10, 2010 at 12:13 pm
  41. Kerry

God Bless them all, sounds like they need it.

When do we do something about the sick people that do things like this and I am not talking about putting him in a jail cell.

I wounder were the girls father is at?

December 13, 2010 at 5:34 pm
  42. killroy

these kind of people should be put to death. they can not be fixed. they are a waste of life. all we do is put them in prison let them go to do it again and again............if this girl had something to do with the death of her mother how can you blame a 11 year old?

December 15, 2010 at 6:50 pm
  43. jenna reschenthaler

this is truly a sad story.when a child goes missing everyone thinks the worse ,she could be a runaway or she may be in terriable danger.I am a 7th grader,but unlike my peers i am deeply concerned for the others in my age group.I will keep this young girl in my prayers.

December 15, 2010 at 8:20 pm
  44. Sheila Machado

Nancy Grace,

A friend Eileen Loskot from Dallas Texas was abducted last night.
    She's about 54 years old, her husband received a phone call and said they Won't hurt her.... That's all we have heard. Hope you can help in some way...

Not so much a comment as a request for help..

Thank you, Sheila M.

December 16, 2010 at 11:35 am
  45. NC~Sam

Kerry raises an interesting point...where is this girl's father? And I just dont think it can be said enough: YOU DONT MOVE IN SIGNIFICANT OTHERS when you have the responsibility of raising and setting examples for YOUR chikldren. These innocent children did not asked to be brought into the world, and whether planned or not, they were born and it is your Human responsibility to take care of your children or make arrangements so that they may get the care elsewhere. If family members were seeing red-flags and pleading with the mother, was she just in denial? You cant turn a boy/girl friend into a parent; this is something that takes time and needs to be monitored, counceled, and has to take time!! You need to KNOW that you, your family, and most importantly, your children are safe, not in the hands of a sick person, an abuser, etc. Women and Men: Wise up!! Make this the day that we will no longer allow our women and children to be neglected, abused, raped, etc. GET PRO-ACTIVE IN YOUR COMMUNITY!!!

December 17, 2010 at 11:58 am
  46. D. J. Bates

What a terrible story...I blame the mother. What normal mother lets her 12 yr old wear black eyeliner and a push bra w/ a low cut top?
    As a single mom I would never move in some younger man! or any for that matter. There is no moral compass here.
    Further...no one mentioned the dress of the young girl who left with her neighbor to attend a grad party. Her body later turned up burned & he was caught trying to leave the state...another example of poor parenting.

December 21, 2010 at 8:41 pm