Nancy Grace

Alleged killers talked about corpse on Facebook?

A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!

Cadaver Dogs Search Landfill; Mother’s Boyfriend Called A Suspect

Authorities were using cadaver dogs to search an Abilene landfill on Friday afternoon for evidence in their investigation of Hailey Dunn’s disappearance, CNN affiliate KTAB reported. A Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman told KTAB that many landfills in the Colorado City area have already been searched and that such activities are not uncommon in missing person cases.

Hailey Dunn
Hailey Dunn

Also on Friday, Colorado City City Manager Pete Kampfer told KTAB that Shawn Adkins, the boyfriend of Dunn’s mother, is now considered a suspect in the case. However, he downplayed the significance of the distinction from previously classifying him as a “person of interest” as “a matter of semantics” and said that Adkins is simply “at the top of the pyramid” of people they are investigating.

Adkins, the last person to see Hailey before she was reported missing on December 27, has denied any responsibility for her disappearance. He told the Associated Press Friday that he would "never ever do anything to harm Hailey." According to the AP, he said that he loves Hailey and prays daily for her safe return. In the AP interview, he also denied some of the allegations made against him in recently-released search warrant affidavits, claiming that police misquoted him and that he did not suggest Hailey was promiscuous and using drugs.

City Manager Kampfer is dismissing rumors that searchers have discovered a human bone. He told a Nancy Grace producer Friday that it was actually an animal bone and no human remains have been found.

In addition, a Mitchell County judge released a search warrant return Friday morning detailing items that police found in Billie Jean Dunn’s Chevy Lumina. The items seized included electrical tape, a lighter, trace evidence, miscellaneous papers and debris from the trunk of the vehicle.

Post by:
Filed under: Missing Persons
  1. Jeanne Astbury

I believe Billie Dunn knows way more than she is saying!! She has guilt written all over her face. There seems to be no concern of the whereabouts of Hailey. Is there any past history of mental illness of Billie or known criminal activities? I watch every night and she looks like she is drugged up. She doesn't really answer any of the questions completely and with absolutely no compassion at all. If that were my child I would be hysterical and no way as calm as she is. If my boyfriend were a suspect I would have kept him right by me trying to get the truth out of him. She is putting on an act and reminds me of Susan smith who drowned her two beautiful children, I pray for the safe return of Hailey but I fear it is too late.

January 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm
  2. clint williams

check out Shawn Adkins the boyfriends youtube videos

January 16, 2011 at 8:10 pm
  3. Charles Michael Jones

Nancy, just because the Hailey Dunn becomes paranoid seeing 22 yo father's shadow beneath door in the hallway or him using a phone in the bathroom is no cause for a Grandmother to bring him in as a prime suspect for Hailey Dunn's missing case. I have seen folks have to stand for minutes on end just to log to a message to view a picture someone sends them on a phone before and even to listen to a joke or hear some corny music sent to their phone email address. These factors are some that the child wouldn't especially know about, the phone could be another person's and he using it or his own which leaves a record of its use so if anyone has any right mind shouldn't they checkout the record of the phone company to verify use at that specific location, surely there have been phone calls made from that location that can be found by a phone company search.
    To simply see this as a situation that Hailey Dunn left the residence without knowledge of either parent or grand parent might shed light on whom she would have left with esp if not to her knowledge that the individual was a lesbian female trying to confuse Hailey Dunn just to get her to leave that premise with her then is when the tacky vanishing trick could go bad like the meeting place become a target of Latino Drug Dealers and she and the lesbian both become their play thing before becoming a corpse to be disposed of in a landfill because of how the Latino's disposed of both bodies.
    When you put on your thinking cap how does that sound to you?
    A lot of Latino men work for the city landfill and or drive a garbage truck or empty dumpsters which would deal drugs or be users to have meetings with drug dealers which are also Latino's. If this is a issue your chance of finding a white American is lower than 50% and chance of finding a Latino is greater than 50% if that helps.
    Good luck, the Grandmother Jones seems to not know much about teenage boys. Boys also steal use of phones when they get a chance and that is from a elder so they can read email, connect to the Internet and to hear the news or see the weather report which is a issue sometimes, but not to have to pay is the idea they get and grown ups get very angry to find their minutes gone. So if he were to borrow the boss hone or a business phone a day or so who knows – only the phone company records know when and from where a call is made. The boss could become very angry because something like that has happened in case you don't realize it.

January 17, 2011 at 12:13 am
  4. Cage-Psychic-CSI

she is under-the house.., wrapped in a sleeping bag..raped and murdered

January 17, 2011 at 2:33 am
  5. Kat Larstone

I fail to understand the lack of locig and compassion being shown for all involved in this missing young girls case. First of all when there is a divorce or seperation if any kind you best believe that the devision lines are clearly drawn and almost instantly. The childs grandmother was obligated to do more than share this information with her son, but her sons ex wife as well. If she truely believed her grandaughter was in harms way or at risk in anyway shape of form, relying on her son to deal with information alone was NOT suffice, after all Haily did NOT live with her father, she lived with her mother and and her mothers boyfriend. #2. When threats are made against a child such as " if you tell anybody about this, I will kill your mother and then you", seem very real and are often enough to buy silence so the the perpotrator can continue harming the child. #3. Parents shoud know what thier child is doing as much as possible and especially when they have access to the internet. Haileys mother cannot know what is going on at her ex husbands house when he has his visitations and she is not there to supervise her daughter. She is truely left at the mercy of the courts when it comes to this issue. She can only hope thathe is keeping close watch over his daughters activities. #4. Wanna know what your kids are doing> talk to thier friends.. talk and talk and talk... offer a reward for verifiable info and listen carefully to what is being said. Did Hailey have a secret boyfriend at school ?? Was Hailey in the early stages of drug abuse? Was Hailey sexually active with this boy? It pays to ask the right questions here. If Hailey was infact into drugs where was she getting money to purchase these drugs and from who? Instead of this witch trial and accusing this poor mother of such horribles acts and crimes without actually having proof she was ever involved is cruel and inhumane. The boyfriend faily the polygraph test having refused to to take it the first two times, how is it this is Billys fault at all

?? I thought we were all innocent until proven guilty??

P.S. I had a mother who hid secrets for my oldest daughter from me. My mother has since passed away and has not therefore lived to see the nightmare these secrets have created. My daughter is a drug addict fighting the worst for of help c that there is. If my mother had told me all she had known instead of keeping it to herself, perhaps my husband and I would not be watching our daughter live only to die far far top young. These secrets kill... Haileys grandmother should be ashamed of herself for not telling or respecting Billy enough to tell her the horrible things she had shared with her, things Billy has the right to know.
    Billy what he daughter was saying.

January 17, 2011 at 4:00 am
  6. Kat Larstone

January 17th, 2011 4:00 am ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I fail to understand the lack of logic and compassion being shown for all involved in this missing young girls case. First of all when there is a divorce or seperation if any kind you best believe that the devision lines are clearly drawn and almost instantly. The childs grandmother was obligated to do more than share this information with her son, but her sons ex wife as well. If she truely believed her grandaughter was in harms way or at risk in anyway shape of form, relying on her son to deal with information alone was NOT suffice, after all Haily did NOT live with her father, she lived with her mother and and her mothers boyfriend. #2. When threats are made against a child such as " if you tell anybody about this, I will kill your mother and then you", seem very real and are often enough to buy silence so the the perpotrator can continue harming the child. #3. Parents shoud know what thier child is doing as much as possible and especially when they have access to the internet. Haileys mother cannot know what is going on at her ex husbands house when he has his visitations and she is not there to supervise her daughter. She is truely left at the mercy of the courts when it comes to this issue. She can only hope thathe is keeping close watch over his daughters activities. #4. Wanna know what your kids are doing> talk to thier friends.. talk and talk and talk... offer a reward for verifiable info and listen carefully to what is being said. Did Hailey have a secret boyfriend at school ?? Was Hailey in the early stages of drug abuse? Was Hailey sexually active with this boy? It pays to ask the right questions here. If Hailey was infact into drugs where was she getting money to purchase these drugs and from who? Instead of this witch trial and accusing this poor mother of such horribles acts and crimes without actually having proof she was ever involved is cruel and inhumane. The boyfriend faily the polygraph test having refused to to take it the first two times, how is it this is Billys fault at all

?? I thought we were all innocent until proven guilty??

Billy what he daughter was saying.

January 17, 2011 at 4:01 am
  7. ricardo mercado

I believe I saw hailey dunn at a loves truck stop in buckeye arizona I called 911 and cnn and the department of missisng and exploited children

January 17, 2011 at 6:55 am
  8. trisha

Why is the live in boyfriend shawn adkins free if in fact the police have changed his status from "person of interest" to suspect? Why not grill the guy until he finally speaks it out. I mean come on though, both the mother and boyfriend lied on the polygraph something in my mind and heart is not adding up?

January 17, 2011 at 9:45 am
  9. AJ

Has anybody noticed that on Hailey Dunn's facebook there is recent activity.........She has added some friends........Also,she made a comment about 3 more days till something......She did not say what.......

January 17, 2011 at 11:20 am
  10. Rachel Moledina

With the evidence that the police have collected, I definitely think that Shawn Adkins should be a suspect; however, I think that Billie Dunn should be a person of interest too. Something is just not right about Billie, and I think that she knows what happened to her daughter. Did she and her boyfriend take narcotics in an attempt to pass the poly? Did they research serial killers, in order to commit the perfect crime? Why has she been side stepping many of Nancy's questions? Did she set Adkins up?

Even if Billie is innocent, I think that she should be charged with neglect. How anyone can let her child spend the night at a friend's house without calling first, is totally beyond me. Unfortunately, this isn't looking good for Hailey. I hope that they recover the body soon, and that the truth comes out.

January 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm
  11. Robert

This story is still on your main page as breaking news and it is 3 days later. It is confusing people !

January 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm
  12. Patricia vance

Did she have a counsellor at school or church? Did she keep a scret hidden diary? Most teens do.

January 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm
  13. tammy

has anyone question the drug people, where they bought drugs? maybe the boyfriend wanted drugs, and thats when this crime happened. i think the mother needs to come clean, also. there were 2 atm cash withdrawals, and if you owe $ to drug people.... who knows what this is involving. lie detector tests for both!!

January 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm
  14. tina

I really think they need to look at the neightbor who moved,no one can remember his name or knows where he is it seems to me that they should be looking at everyone not defending the boyfriend but right is right

January 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm
  15. Val

I haven't heard anything said about the guy that was visiting the neighbors house (I think they said his name was Dennis). He reportedly said he saw the girl and then he left town. Assume that has been checked into but haven't heard anything about that.

January 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm
  16. Cheryl Detwiler

I have several questions regarding the neighbor "Dennis"...1) how long has he been a neighbor, 2) when did he move from the neighborhood, 3) why did he move & 4) does he have any kind of police record? Also, has he been asked to take a polygraph?

Thanks.

January 17, 2011 at 9:05 pm
  17. Amy Kitzmiller

Sounds like boy friend advanced hailey and got turned down and worried she would tell . So he went to work to wait on her mother to leave for work then he "?" before hailey was able to out him. The way he stated he loved her sounded like a " real love" more than an adult figure

January 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm
  18. jerry

Dogs tracked trail to hotel four days after Haily Dunn was reported missing. This does not support boyfriends statement that she left on foot Monday at 3pm. The trail could just as well been made a day or two earlier (Saturday or Sunday). Haily may never have left home alive on Monday. Anyone could have broken in and taken Haily but only the boyfriend and mother knew she was home alone because the brother stayed over Sunday night with a friend. The boyfriend most likely returned home as soon as he knew Haily's mother had left for work and disposed of Haily's body in route to his own mother's house shortly after the attack. Cell phone records indicate he was near Haily's house early Monday morning when he was supposed to be at work several miles away.

January 17, 2011 at 9:48 pm