A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!
HLN’s Nancy Grace said Thursday that the claims made by Casey Anthony to her own lawyers' mental health experts about her childhood and what happened to her daughter - as revealed in newly released deposition transcripts - are “practically unbelievable.”
In the depositions conducted in April 2011, Dr. Jeffrey Danziger and Dr. William Weitz recounted statements Anthony made to them about being molested as a child and believing her father, George Anthony, was responsible for her daughter Caylee’s death. George Anthony’s attorney issued a statement denying the allegations contained in the documents Wednesday afternoon.
Danziger and Weitz were initially offered by Anthony’s attorneys as expert witnesses, but the defense later removed them from their witness list and did not call them to testify at her trial.
Appearing on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” Grace said, “None of this was asserted in front of the jury because the defense knew it was a lie.”
ABC legal analyst Dan Abrams suggested that the depositions, and the differences between the stories Anthony told each doctor, indicated that the defense was still “evolving” into the one used during the trial: That Caylee drowned accidentally in the family pool and George Anthony helped cover it up.
“They looked at all their choices and they picked the defense that suited them the best,” Grace said of the version of events presented by attorney Jose Baez in his opening statement.
According to the transcripts, Danziger expressed concern during his deposition about sharing Anthony’s unproven allegations of sexual abuse, and Grace said that showed that “he did not even want to repeat the lies that tot mom Casey Anthony stated.”
For the latest on this and other crime stories, watch "Nancy Grace" weeknights at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. EST on HLN.
Zenaida Gonzalez was deposed for about 12 hours by Casey Anthony’s attorneys on Tuesday in her defamation lawsuit alleging that Anthony falsely accused her of kidnapping 2-year-old Caylee Anthony.
According to CFNews13, Gonzalez and attorneys for both sides arrived for the deposition around 9:00 am and they finally wrapped up around 9:00 pm. Gonzalez’s attorneys had tried and failed to get the event delayed until after issues surrounding Anthony’s deposition are resolved.
Anthony was deposed in October, but she asserted her 5th Amendment rights against self-incrimination in response to most questions. Attorneys for Gonzalez want the court to compel her to answer, but the judge has not yet ruled on that motion.
Gonzalez alleges that Anthony defamed her and damaged her reputation when she claimed that a nanny named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez had taken Caylee. Anthony’s criminal attorneys acknowledged at her murder trial earlier this year that no such nanny ever existed.
Anthony’s civil attorneys have argued that she never identified this specific woman as the “Zenaida Gonzalez” she was talking about.
Although few details about the deposition were available Wednesday, court documents filed earlier this month indicate some of the questions Anthony’s attorneys may have wanted to ask Gonzalez. In addition to demanding more specific information about statements and witnesses that would prove Anthony defamed Gonzalez, they also questioned whether Gonzalez is being paid by her attorneys and asked for details about contributions to the “Zenaida Gonzalez Fund.”
Anthony’s attorneys asked that Gonzalez provide more specific figures for the damages she is seeking in the suit. They also asked for her medical records from January 2007 to the present, including documents related to any treatment by a psychologist or psychiatrist.
Attorneys argued that Gonzalez’s initial responses to these questions and others in their first set of interrogatories were inadequate and that she has the burden of proof in the case so she needs to provide more information as part of the discovery process.
The names of the twelve jurors who found Casey Anthony not guilty of her daughter’s murder in July were released Tuesday morning by the Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida. The five alternate jurors’ names were also released.
Although Florida’s broad public records laws would normally have made their identities public immediately after the trial ended, Judge Belvin Perry ordered a “cooling-off period” of nearly four months to allow public anger over the verdict to subside.
Perry said in a July ruling that the delay was intended to balance the public’s right to information with the jurors’ privacy. He also expressed concern for their safety and said some had reported receiving threats.
The jury acquitted Anthony of murder, manslaughter and aggravated child abuse for her daughter Caylee’s 2008 death. They found her guilty on four counts of lying to law enforcement officers.
Because of media coverage surrounding the case, jurors were selected from Pinellas County in May and brought to Orange County, where they were sequestered throughout the six-week trial. Since the verdict was announced, one juror and two alternates have identified themselves in media interviews. A few others have spoken anonymously.
The jury foreman declined to be interviewed at this time when contacted by a Nancy Grace producer on Tuesday, but he said the jury did what they could based on the evidence presented and he was surprised by the backlash against the verdict.
None of the other jurors had returned phone calls from producers late Tuesday morning. According to the Associated Press, most of jurors had their blinds or drapes closed and did not answer when reporters knocked on their doors.
The names of the jurors in Casey Anthony’s murder trial could be released as early as Tuesday.
Court administration “may release the names only of the fourteen seated jurors who have not already voluntarily released their names in this matter, on or after October 25, 2011,” Judge Belvin Perry ruled on July 26.
Two of the five alternate jurors voluntarily revealed their identities after the not guilty verdict was announced, and one of the twelve who participated in deliberations allowed her name to be released when she did media interviews about the decision. A few others, including the jury foreman, have given interviews but remained anonymous.
Perry authorized the release of the remaining jurors’ names nearly four months after the trial ended because “such a ‘cooling-off’ period fairly balances the public’s access to information and the jurors’ safety.”
In his July order, Perry noted the public outrage over Anthony’s acquittal and pointed to media reports that one of the jurors quit her job and left the state out of fear of being exposed. Many jurors told court staff “that they feel like prisoners in their own homes” and some reported receiving threats, according to Perry.
As a result, he decided their safety was a legitimate concern. He wrote that he hoped the three-month cooling-off period he imposed would “allow those enraged by the verdict and who might instinctively react with violence to compose and restrain themselves.”
The few jurors who have spoken out have all given similar reasons for finding Anthony not guilty of murder, manslaughter and aggravated child abuse in her daughter Caylee’s death, and most of their comments reflect a feeling that prosecutors failed to prove the case against Anthony beyond a reasonable doubt. The jury did convict her of four counts of lying to law enforcement.
The jury foreman told Fox News that jurors did not trust George Anthony and that the evidence involving duct tape, chloroform and decomposition in Anthony’s trunk simply was not convincing enough. “You don’t know who put the body in the trunk or how it ended up there,” he said.
Juror #3 told ABC News that she did not think Anthony was innocent, but she did not believe there was enough evidence to convict her. She said jurors were “sick to their stomachs” over the decision.
“Generally, none of us liked Casey Anthony at all,” one male juror told People Magazine in August. “She seems like a horrible person. But the prosecution did not give us enough evidence to convict. They gave us a lot of stuff that makes us think that she probably did something wrong, but not beyond a reasonable doubt.”
That juror said he lived in fear of being identified, checking the internet daily to see if anybody figured out who he was. He also said that, knowing the additional information about the case that he learned after the trial but was not presented in court, he would probably have voted to convict Anthony of manslaughter.
An Orlando judge did not immediately rule Thursday after hearing arguments from attorneys on whether to allow a video of Casey Anthony’s deposition in a civil defamation case to be released to the public.
Judge Lisa Munyon said she would issue a written ruling on the matter within 10 days.
During the hearing, Anthony’s attorney said her daughter Caylee’s murder case has received a level of media attention “unparalleled in American history.”
Attorneys for Zenaida Gonzalez deposed Anthony by video for 45 minutes on October 8. She asserted her Fifth Amendment rights and declined to answer most questions. Anthony’s attorney, Charles Greene, submitted a motion Wednesday objecting to the filing of the transcript and videotape of the deposition.
Once it is filed, the tape could be released to the media.
In his objection, Greene wrote that Gonzalez’s attorneys were “abusing the discovery process for purposes of inflaming pre-trial publicity.” Gonzalez’s attorneys stated in their response that Greene had “no proper legal basis” to block the release of deposition.
At Thursday’s hearing, attorney John Morgan argued that the burden of proof to show why the tape should not be released rests on Greene and he has failed to do so.
Gonzalez’s lawsuit alleges that Anthony ruined her life and her reputation by falsely accusing her of kidnapping Caylee in July 2008. At the time, Anthony told police that a babysitter named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez had taken her daughter. Gonzalez was questioned by police while they were trying to locate the babysitter, who they ultimately determined did not exist.
A hearing scheduled for Thursday afternoon could determine if a videotaped deposition of Casey Anthony that took place earlier this month will be made public.
The deposition is part of a civil defamation lawsuit filed against Anthony by Zenaida Gonzalez, a woman who claims Anthony falsely accused her of kidnapping her daughter Caylee in July 2008. When Caylee was first reported missing, Anthony told police that a babysitter named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez had taken her.
No babysitter was ever located and Anthony was eventually charged with Caylee’s murder, but attorneys for Gonzalez say she was questioned by police during the investigation and her life and reputation were damaged as a result.
Caylee Anthony’s remains were found in December 2008. In July 2011, Casey Anthony was acquitted of murder, manslaughter and aggravated child abuse in connection with her death. She was convicted of four counts of lying to law enforcement.
During the 45-minute deposition on October 8, Anthony, appearing via video from an unknown location somewhere in Florida, asserted her Fifth Amendment rights and refused to answer most questions. According to attorneys for Gonzalez, Anthony was wearing a hat, sunglasses and what appeared to be a wig.
Gonzalez’s attorneys told reporters they intended to file a video and transcript of deposition with the court on Tuesday and make it available to the public, but Anthony’s civil attorney, Charles Greene, then notified them that he planned to file an emergency motion to seal the video.
Wearing what one attorney described as an “elaborate disguise,” Casey Anthony attended a videotaped deposition Saturday in the civil defamation lawsuit filed against her by Zenaida Gonzalez.
While Anthony did appear via video from an undisclosed location somewhere in Florida, she did not answer many of the questions posed to her by Gonzalez’s attorneys. In response to most inquiries, her attorney invoked her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
According to Gonzalez’s attorney Matt Morgan, Anthony did provide a few brief responses, such as acknowledging that she was present for her murder trial and stating that she last spoke to her parents on October 14, 2008, the day she was indicted for her daughter Caylee’s murder. The whole deposition lasted approximately 45 minutes.
Morgan said Anthony wore a hat and large sunglasses, along with what appeared to be a braided wig.
Gonzalez is alleging that Anthony falsely accused her of being the “Zanny the nanny” who abducted Caylee. Gonzalez’s attorney John Morgan told the Orlando Sentinel that being sought out during the investigation has left “a scar on her life and on her soul probably until the day she dies.”
At Anthony’s criminal trial, one of her attorneys dismissed “Zanny” as one of her many “imaginary friends.” Her civil attorneys have argued in court filings that she never identified the Zenaida Gonzalez who is suing her as the same one who took her daughter.
Gonzalez’s attorneys intend to try to get the videotape of the deposition released to the public early this week. They also plan to file a motion asking a judge to compel Anthony to answer their questions. If that motion is granted, a new deposition will be scheduled.
Casey Anthony’s monthly probation report has been released, and it shows that she is still unemployed and is not in school.
While Anthony denied using any illegal drugs, she did acknowledge consuming alcohol, which she is allowed to do as long as she does not drink in excess.
Anthony also checked the box indicating that she has not attended any “educational, vocational classes or mental health, drug, alcohol, therapy or self-improvement programs.”
Anthony’s probation order required her to work, but a Department of Corrections spokesperson told RadarOnline.com that offenders are encouraged to explore their employment options and the issue is reviewed on a monthly basis.
The copy of the probation report released by authorities blacks out any information that would indicate where in Florida Anthony is currently living. She returned to the state to begin serving one year of probation in August for 2010 check fraud convictions, but the DOC is making efforts to keep her location confidential.
Anthony is scheduled to give a deposition via live video this weekend in a civil defamation suit filed against her by Zenaida Gonzalez, but the transcript and recording will remain sealed by court order. Anthony’s civil attorney has said she will likely invoke the Fifth Amendment in response to all questions.
Judge Belvin Perry unsealed a video Friday that shows Casey Anthony’s reaction as she watched a news report in jail about the discovery of her daughter’s remains in December 2008.
In his order granting a motion to unseal the video filed by CNN affiliate WKMG, Perry stated that the case’s original judge, Stan Strickland, had ruled that the video should stay sealed more than two years ago to protect Anthony’s right to a fair trial and avoid biasing a jury.
With Anthony’s trial now completed, that reasoning no longer justified withholding public records from the media, Perry wrote.
Defense attorney Jose Baez argued at the time and again at a hearing earlier this week that the recording, made while Anthony was in the jail’s medical facility, violated her privacy. Perry found that the video did not constitute a medical record that would be protected under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Perry also wrote that Anthony had no reasonable expectation of privacy in jail, even though she was in the waiting room of the medical facility and was given a sedative by the medical staff while watching the news report.
The video, which is somewhat grainy and has no audio, shows Anthony sitting in a waiting room chair looking up at a TV. After about a minute, she doubles over and begins rocking with her head in her hands. She eventually sits up but then slumps down again.
A few minutes later, she is taken into another room, where she sits facing away from the camera with two jail employees standing over her. They leave when Baez arrives and takes a seat next to her. Anthony and Baez sit talking for several minutes before the video cuts off.
Judge Belvin Perry has ordered Casey Anthony to pay nearly $120,000 in additional fees to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office for the expenses incurred during the investigation of her daughter Caylee’s disappearance in 2008.
Since Anthony was acquitted of Caylee’s murder, Perry had previously determined that she should only be responsible for reimbursing the costs of the investigation through the point where it shifted from a missing person case to a homicide. He determined that period to be from July 15, 2008 when Caylee was reported missing to September 29, 2008.
This was the investigative work that he felt could be reasonably seen as related to the four counts of providing false information to law enforcement for which Anthony was convicted in July.
In an order earlier this month, Perry ruled that Anthony pay a total of $97,626.98 to the sheriff’s office, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the Metropolitan Bureau of Investigation and the Office of the State Attorney, less than 20% of the $516,000 the agencies had sought in court documents. At the time, though, he stated that some of the expenses submitted by the sheriff’s office could not be broken down into pre- and post-September 29 charges and he may increase the amount if new information was submitted.
Based on revised expense reports, Perry issued an order Friday raising the amount granted to the sheriff’s office by $119,822.25, from $25,837.96 to $145,660.21. As a result, Anthony is now responsible for repaying a total of $217,449.23.
Anthony is currently living somewhere in Florida while she serves one year of probation for check fraud convictions. According to a recent People Magazine report, she is seeing a grief counselor and psychiatrist, is planning to take online courses and may eventually end up moving outside the country.