A young couple reportedly partied at a bar after allegedly murdering a 19-year-old girl, then argued about how to dispose of her corpse in text and Facebook messages!
Newly released police reports are raising more questions in the search for missing 6-year-old Isabel Celis. The reports were provided to some news organizations, HLN is currently seeking its own copies.
ABC News reports that documents released Thursday by the Tucson Police Department reveal “apparent blood” was found on the floor of one of the bedrooms in her family’s home. According to HLN affiliate KOLD, the reports also show a white hat and shower curtain with “dark red-brown or brown stains” were removed from a car at the house.
Among other possible evidence detailed in the documents, investigators photographed writing on Isabel’s closet-door frame and walls, the Arizona Daily Star reported. Footprints were believed to be found on an electrical box behind the house and on the ground nearby.
Isabel Celis was reported missing on the morning of April 21. Her parents, Sergio and Becky Celis, said she vanished sometime after they put her to bed around 11:30 the previous night. Becky Celis reportedly left for work around 7:30 a.m. without checking on Isabel. Sergio Celis said in his 911 call that when he went to wake her around 8:00, she was gone. When police arrived, her bedroom window was open and the screen was in the backyard.
Police have said they believe Isabel was abducted, but they have not named any suspects in the case.
Friday night, HLN’s Nancy Grace investigates what these new details could mean. Do they bring us any closer to learning what happened to Isabel Celis? Find out on Nancy Grace Friday at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET only on HLN.
Snoring might have been the last sound a Maryland woman expected to hear when she dialed 911 in efforts to save her ailing husband.
A panicked Montgomery County woman called for emergency help just after midnight April 4. Her husband had stopped breathing.
“Hello? Hello?” the woman can be heard asking in between loud snoring noises allegedly from the dispatcher at the other end of the line.
“He’s all blue right now. I don’t know what to do,” she said about 30 seconds into the call, as an alternate dispatcher picked up and tried work through the disruptive snoring.
“Is that him I hear in the background,” the secondary dispatcher asked the woman about the noises.
“Yes,” she responded, twice, perhaps not realizing to what noises the dispatcher was referring.
Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham says the snoring dispatcher’s phone line remained open throughout the call, according to standard procedure. The procedure generally helps dispatchers and emergency responders stay in contact with each other.
This time, the would-be dispatcher contributed as many as 19 snoring interruptions to the call, before waking up nearly six minutes later, asking the caller for her address.
The woman’s panic escalated as she told the dispatcher that her husband’s airway had narrowed. Through her cries, the secondary dispatcher assured her that an ambulance was on the way.
“Tilt his head back,” the dispatcher said, in between snores.
Graham told HLN that the sleeping dispatcher was 17 hours into a 24 hour shift at the time of the call.
“He was about a half hour before taking his break,” Graham said.
The woman’s husband was taken to the hospital and released. Some say he is lucky to be alive.
Medical Examiner and Forensic Pathologist, Dr. Michelle DuPre, said the man’s condition could have been caused by lack of oxygen, heart attack or respiratory problem.
The man’s name and medical condition have not been released.
Graham said he did not know how long the dispatcher had been employed at the call center but said the man was a seasoned firefighter and communicator.
The unidentified dispatcher is now on paid administrative work leave, pending an internal investigation. Graham declined to make further comment about the department’s disciplinary process.
Eric Parry, Chair of the National Emergency Number Association Education Advisory Board, said there is no national regulation for 911 call centers.
“Historically, 911 was always a very local service,” he said.
“I think it has to be investigated. They have to find out what went on during the shift and if there were any medical issues or other things that don’t meet the eye.”
Authorities are trying to locate the mother of a newborn baby who was found dead in a strawberry field in an unincorporated area of Ventura County, California on Monday morning, and they say they are investigating the case as a homicide.
Ventura County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Don Aguilar said Thursday that detectives are concerned about the physical and psychological condition of the mother and they believe she probably needs medical treatment. Evidence suggests that the woman delivered what Aguilar described as a full-term fetus in the field where the body was discovered.
Although a medical examiner has not yet been able to determine the cause of death and authorities have not ruled out the possibility that the baby was stillborn, it is currently being treated as a homicide. Aguilar said further testing is needed and the investigation is ongoing, so they do not want to rush to judgment.
The sheriff’s office is reaching out to the English and Spanish speaking communities in the area for help finding the child’s mother. A press release stated they are especially interested in people who know of pregnant women “whose pregnancy may have ended mysteriously over the weekend with no sign of a baby.”
Aguilar said the sheriff’s office is also trying to educate the public about California’s Safely Surrendered Baby Law, which was passed in 2001 and allows parents to surrender lawful custody of a child at a hospital, fire station or other designated site within 72 hours of birth with no questions asked. Because of incidents like this, they worry that citizens may not be aware that these options are available.
The National Safe Haven Alliance offers additional information on the California law and similar laws in effect in every other state.
“It’s a tragic death,” Aguilar said. “Let’s reduce the risk of this happening again.”
For all the latest news, go to www.HLNtv.com.
LAFAYETTE, LOUISIANA – Police are searching for a 22-year-old University of Louisiana anthropology major who was last seen riding her bike home from a friend’s house.
At approximately 2:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 19, Michaela "Mickey" Shunick left her friend’s house on her bike and headed home. She hasn’t been seen since. The college student was supposed to attend her little brother’s high school graduation later that day but she never showed up. Her parents reported her missing at 6:30 p.m. that night. Her friends say she had plans to check on her pet horse that weekend and to travel to New Orleans on Monday to celebrate her 22nd birthday.
Dozens of volunteers searched for the missing college student the day after she was reported missing, but found no sign of her bike, brown leather backpack, wallet, or her cell phone. Abandoned buildings and drainage areas have also been searched. Volunteers began searching the route she likely took home from her friend’s house, but found no sign of the missing girl or her belongings. Her mother says she rode the route regularly and it’s a safe area. The FBI and Louisiana State Police are now assisting in the student’s mysterious disappearance. Canine and helicopters searchers have failed to turn up any clues.
Mickey Shunick is 5’1”, with shoulder-length curly blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a small tattoo of a bicycle on her ankle and a nose ring. She was last seen wearing a pastel striped shirt, jeans and silver or gray ankle boots. She was carrying a light brown leather backpack. If you have any information regarding her whereabouts, please call police at 337-291-8633. There is a $20,000 reward.
For more on the case, go to www.hlntv.com
WINCHESTER, KENTUCKY – A grandmother has been charged with two counts of murder for allegedly stabbing her daughter and 23-month-old granddaughter to death before cutting her wrists and neck, according to police.
Lilly Stanton, 48, was taken by helicopter the University of Kentucky Medical Center after police say she suffered self-inflicted wounds to her wrist and neck. She is currently being treated for her injuries and is under 24-hour guard by police. Winchester Police Capt. James Hall said she will be transferred to the Clark County Jail once she’s released from the hospital.
“Ms. Stanton has given a statement to the police department admitting her actions in the murder and gave statements that she attempted to harm herself afterward,” according to Hall. Investigators say the suspect made an initial statement to her husband but it did not match her statement given to police at the hospital.
The suspect’s husband discovered the bodies of his daughter and granddaughter on May 20th. Police say he was not present when the murders occurred.
23-month-old Kaydence Ray Miers died of “cutting injuries to the neck,” according to Clark County Coroner Robert Gayheart. The cause of death for 22-year-old Danel Korrey Stanton is still pending.
During the investigation, numerous items of evidence were removed from the scene, including “several knives with blood on them,” according to Hall. “Those knives will be sent to the state police lab to determine which knives were used.”
Investigators say they cannot elaborate on a possible motive and have been unable to find any record of domestic violence within the family. “I can’t say if she just snapped or if it was spontaneous,” said Hall.
HLN reached out to Lilly Stanton for a comment, but calls were not returned due to her current medical condition.
“We’re getting new information everyday from people who have known the victims and the perpetrator so we will conduct interviews as long as we need to,” Hall announced at the press conference. Investigators say they are not looking at any other suspects at this time but the investigation is still ongoing.
Police said Monday they will return to the neighborhood where a 6-year-old Tucson girl was reported missing a month ago in hopes of speaking with residents who may not have been interviewed when the area was originally canvassed.
Tucson Police Lt. Fabian Pacheco told reporters at an afternoon press conference that officers investigating the disappearance of Isabel Celis also plan to re-interview all of the Level 2 and Level 3 sex offenders nearby whose crimes targeted children under 10 years old. They have spoken to more than 540 registered sex offenders since Isabel was reported missing on April 21.
Pacheco said police will distribute a new flyer that asks several questions of people living or working in the general vicinity of the Celis home:
Isabel’s parents, Sergio and Becky Celis, told police that she vanished from her bedroom in the middle of the night after they put her to sleep on April 20. In his 911 call, Sergio Celis said he went to wake her around 8:00 a.m. on April 21, but she was gone and her window was open with the screen lying in the backyard.
According to Pacheco, police are still considering the possibility that Isabel was abducted by a stranger, but they have not ruled out anyone, including family members, as suspects. He said the Celis family has been cooperating with the investigation so far and he hopes they will continue to do so.
Pacheco also announced that Monday’s press briefing was the last regularly scheduled update on the case police will be holding.
At a vigil over the weekend, Becky Celis spoke out in defense of Sergio, who has not been charged or named as a suspect in the case. He recently reached a voluntary agreement with Child Protective Services to stay away from their other two children. Authorities have not commented on what led to that decision.
“He’s a great husband, a great father to the boys and to Isabel,” Becky Celis told KGUN. “At the end of the day when Isabel comes home, everybody’s questions will be answered.”